PD Planet with Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#41 cd1031

cd1031

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:24 PM

Ok, so I got a great deal on this tablet from Kohl's, but it's fairly useless without the market. So I'm trying to follow the directions to root it, but I've never done anything like this before, and I'm stuck on step 1- what exactly does it mean to place the file in the "root of the SD card?" Thank you!!

#42 Jeffrey

Jeffrey

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:28 PM

Ok, so I got a great deal on this tablet from Kohl's, but it's fairly useless without the market. So I'm trying to follow the directions to root it, but I've never done anything like this before, and I'm stuck on step 1- what exactly does it mean to place the file in the "root of the SD card?" Thank you!!

Copy the file directly to the card...not in any folder.

#43 cd1031

cd1031

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:42 PM

Copy the file directly to the card...not in any folder.

Ah, duh, that makes sense. one more dumb question- I haven't gotten an extra SD card yet. Can I do this with just the internal memory?

#44 Spz0

Spz0

Advanced Shoe Gum Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Location..Look under your Shoe..

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:23 AM

/me pulls up a seat and pops some popcorn for the inevitable train-wreck.
I will not answer requests for help on bricked devices. USE THE SEARCH! If you are confused by clearly written instructions, you shouldn't be hacking your tablet!!!!!

Posted Image
.......Devices.......
.Moto Droid X
LiquidICS

------------------------------------
.Samsung Vitality (Admire)
OpenAndroid ROM 2.3
Spz0's OC Kernel

.Kyocera M6000(zio)
Rooted2.2.1
OpenZio ROM 2.1.2
Adrynalyne OC

.Pandigital Planet 2.3.4 REFRESH
OpenPDP ROM 2.3.4-v2.1

...and many other devices.

>>Donate<< to my Marriage counseling fund. o.0

#45 Jeffrey

Jeffrey

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:45 AM

*Ahem*

#46 jondar

jondar

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:54 PM

::snort:: Don't do that when I'm taking a drink of soda please. ::cleans off keyboard::

#47 Jeffrey

Jeffrey

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:38 PM

::snort:: Don't do that when I'm taking a drink of soda please. ::cleans off keyboard::

#48 Jeffrey

Jeffrey

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:39 PM

If we all just bought Apple products, this wouldn't be an issue!!!?!!

#49 Jeffrey

Jeffrey

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:42 PM

If we all just bought Apple products, this wouldn't be an issue!!!?!! I have to say that I love my 3 year old I-pod however!(since I found out how to jail-break it).

#50 jondar

jondar

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:45 PM

I have a small favor to ask
I do not have a back up of the original PR72_A_BN_W_A_C_08282011 firmware.
I loaded the new firmware thru recovery and no back up is made that way.

So if anyone have done the update with the fw update app or going to do an update with it, if they could maybe upload the backup copy created of
PR72_A_BN_W_A_C_08282011 someplace so I could have a copy of stock FW.

Does this backup only get created if you update with the app? I have a fresh-out-of-the-box PDP with the 08282011 firmware, and I've been all through the internal storage using Android Commander, and cannot seem to locate the original firmware anywhere. I wanted to back it up before I started messing around.

Edit: Answering my own question - I ran FW update to the current 10112011 firmware. It did *not* create a backup of the shipped 08282011 firmware, instead it created an "Old Firmware" directory on my SD card and placed a copy of the 10112011 firmware there!

Edited by jondar, 09 November 2011 - 10:29 AM.

#51 drenner99

drenner99

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationRockford, IL

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:30 PM

I was at my local Kohls yesterday because they were advertising the Planet for ~$180 less $20 rebate, plus up to 30% off if you have one of their mailed coupons (and Kohls account.) Coupon code is NOVSAVINGS for online use, valid 11/9 -11/16/11.

What I found in stock was in fact NOT the Planet, but rather model R70E200, "Pandigital Multimedia Novel w/Android", black 7-inch/2-Gb ereader. They also had the Star. The only signage present listed the Planet and Star. I do not know if Kohls is even more clueless than normal regarding this type of product, or if Pandigital is shipping the wrong device. I mention this mainly so others new to the forum will not be purchasing the R70E200 expecting it to be the refreshed Planet with Android 2.3.4, which it clearly is not. Kohls website does not currently list any Pandigital tablet except the Star.

I know that Kohls recently had the refreshed Planet (Planet box with getjar listed on back) since I did an exchange for one.

#52 nvrpayretail

nvrpayretail

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:02 PM

As of yesterday, my local Kohls had quite a large stock of both the refreshed Planet and the Star. I guess different locations are getting different stock.

#53 Argzurc

Argzurc

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:57 PM

It's very well worth exchanging the Planet with the Android 2.3.4. Faster, more responsive touch, and better and faster Internet connection. Market 3.0.26 works perfectly as well.

#54 DavidPuddy

DavidPuddy

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:00 PM

Traded in my original PDP for the Refreshed PDP today. It's much improved!

Here's my issue. I'm sure it's something silly, but I can't figure it out.
As soon as I configured my wifi it said that it had new firmware to install. Ok I installed it. 10112011 is the firmware. I did this update before I put in and SD card.
Now I'm trying to Root so I put the file (OpenNova-ROOT-Spz0-v.1.0.update) on my SD and tried to boot into recovery. Every time I boot into recovery it automatically reinstalls the 10112011 firmware. I can't get into the recovery options page.

Any ideas?

#55 fukxou

fukxou

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:25 PM

You have to delete the new firmware that it downloaded use ES file explorer and navigate to PD_universe folder to delete it. That or it is saved on your SD card. Backup first if you want to have it as a backup for future, but what the Planet does is it will search for OEM firmware first, if it sees it there it will install that version but if its not present it will ask for you to find the file you want to install.

hth

#56 DavidPuddy

DavidPuddy

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:34 PM

Thank you. That worked.
I had tried searching for the Firmware, but I couldn't find it..

Now for market...

#57 SpooktheKook

SpooktheKook

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:05 AM

Me: I'd like to return this gift Planet, the battery life is like 1 hour its possibly defective, Oh and since it was a gift I don't possibly have a receipt

Customer Service Rep: how would you like it

Me: could we do an even exchange I found this box on the shelf (refreshed version)

Customer service rep: Certainly

Me: PROFIT!
HTC Droid Incredible
unRevoked3 S-Off
2.2.1 for now still learning

Pandigital Planet (Refresh)

Posted Image

#58 cd1031

cd1031

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:20 PM

My SD Card finally arrived, and I successfully completed step 1. :p

I had tried to download the market from my phone running Android 2.1 before rooting, and it obviously wouldn't install. Once I rooted, I think that market installed, though I did complete Step 11. According to what it says in Manage Apps, I am running Market 1.82.

I also did not do steps 12-15 yet. It seems to be working perfectly without doing steps 2 and 3- do I need to?

Does Step 2 just update the market?

What is the purpose of Step 3? It seems like just another way to root?

Thanks again for the help- I'm not a complete technical idiot- I've had an android phone for almost 2 years, I've just never had a need to root it.
____

On another note, has anyone successfully tethered this tablet with any type of Android phone? I use Easy Tether from my phone to PC, but I can see this won't work. PDAnet looks like it might have promise, but the market I'm running can't even find PDAnet Tablet. Does it even work with this tablet?

#59 Spz0

Spz0

Advanced Shoe Gum Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Location..Look under your Shoe..

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:39 PM

Incase u guys arent aware, I have a ROM available for the PDP refresh.

http://www.slatedroi...4-v10-beta-rom/
I will not answer requests for help on bricked devices. USE THE SEARCH! If you are confused by clearly written instructions, you shouldn't be hacking your tablet!!!!!

Posted Image
.......Devices.......
.Moto Droid X
LiquidICS

.Samsung Vitality (Admire)
OpenAndroid ROM 2.3
Spz0's OC Kernel

.Kyocera M6000(zio)
Rooted2.2.1
OpenZio ROM 2.1.2
Adrynalyne OC

.Pandigital Planet 2.3.4 REFRESH
OpenPDP ROM 2.3.4-v2.1

...and many other devices.

>>Donate<< to my Marriage counseling fund. o.0

#60 tinfoil

tinfoil

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:13 PM

Kohls black friday AD shows they will drop the pandigital planet price to 140 dollars.

AND 15 dollars kohls cash back for evey 50 bucks spent.
AND theres 20% off online coupon.

Should drop the price to around 100 bucks.

But I am in a dilemma here.

Wal mart is selling this dual screen tablet called entourage pocket edge for 100 bucks. Used to be 500 bucks but company discontinued support. One side e-ink, the other side froyo 2.2 lcd.
http://www.walmart.c...indingMethod=rr

Argh, can't decide which I should buy. That pandigital planet custom rom seems awesome though...
And the entourage edge has problems in the rooting community. Manufacturer has not released sdk for it. And I've read although it has 512 mb ram and a 1.2 ghz cpu, but it's locked at only 800mhz and is sluggish at certain tasks like games. But do like that e-ink that allows hand written annotations on pdfs.

Hmmm...which should I buy...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users