New Firmware Released - 20111022!

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 ADSTER

ADSTER

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:45 PM

My findings using this firmware on gps wifi newer generation unit...

Video playback has improved although still having some issues with hd youtube.
Had the date reset back to 1970 once.
Wifi stays connected to my router unlike previous version which constantly dropped connection.
Gps was able to find my location on g maps no problem.
Device no longer mounts my usb flash drive as scsi.
Noticed some battery drain increase as well as heat while watching video.
No market issues but not full market.
Minecraft plays nice but force closes often, not bad but as was terriblly laggy fps on 2.2
Overall this is a nice improvement on previous version, hope they get some bugs ironed out in future.

#22 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 23 October 2011 - 11:24 PM

Runs well for the most part. roored by pushing files ocver usb as gingerbreak was a no go. The os sees "sdcard" as the internal memory and lables the actual card externalsd. is this normal for 3.5?

Updating the build.prop gives full market, but renaming phone.apk causes it to say no connection - retry. So market is not working if we stop the battery draining phone.apk.

The speed is super nice.

That naming scheme for sdcard and externalsd is the same behaviour as the Ainol NOVO 7 Advanced which is also running 2.3.5. My guess is that yess.. this is typical.

Speed is improved? This is excellent to hear :)

Stability? can anyone comment? Are there any killer bugs that you have noticed or glaring issues?

Cheers,

Roman

http://topnotchtablets.com
www. Rockchip Firmware.com - Firmware Development Tutorials and Image Repository for all things Rockchip! - "Dedicated to getting new devs started and to helping end-users get the firmware and tools they need to manage their Rockchip based devices!"

www. Top Notch Tablets .com - U.S. Based Android Tablet Reseller - "We like to think we are really good at what we do; so far our customers, and the larger android community, have reinforced this belief. Thanks!"

People have asked (thank you btw) so here it is... If you would like to monetarily say thanks and continue supporting me in my firmware development efforts, you can donate by clicking here: Posted ImageTO MY FIRMWARE DEVELOPMENT FUND

"Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value."
-Ayn Rand

#23 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 23 October 2011 - 11:28 PM

On my M9-3g... I have some issues too.

1. Wifi widget doesn't work sometimes, have to turn on manually from setting
2. 3g doesn't work sometimes
3. When animation is turn off, screen default goes to portrait & it doesn't switch.
4. After adding Gmail account, contacts & calendar can't sync but Gmail works
5. Signing in issue with maps & my location not detected using wifi or 3g
6. Market can't install app, keeps downloading again & again
7. Sleep issue, doesn't wake up sometimes
8. No dial pad in phone app
9. com.process.media FC
Still testing... have not try if messenger or phone calling work.

It feels more snappy compared to 0908. Screen rotation work on all 4 sides.

Matt

Sent from my Full Android using Tapatalk

While the M9 is very similar, it is also very different. Doesn't it have a 1024x600 screen? Seems like your resolution would be messed up? Perhaps I am thinking of a different device?

Cheers,

Roman
www. Rockchip Firmware.com - Firmware Development Tutorials and Image Repository for all things Rockchip! - "Dedicated to getting new devs started and to helping end-users get the firmware and tools they need to manage their Rockchip based devices!"

www. Top Notch Tablets .com - U.S. Based Android Tablet Reseller - "We like to think we are really good at what we do; so far our customers, and the larger android community, have reinforced this belief. Thanks!"

People have asked (thank you btw) so here it is... If you would like to monetarily say thanks and continue supporting me in my firmware development efforts, you can donate by clicking here: Posted ImageTO MY FIRMWARE DEVELOPMENT FUND

"Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value."
-Ayn Rand

#24 matteosg

matteosg

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 23 October 2011 - 11:41 PM

While the M9 is very similar, it is also very different. Doesn't it have a 1024x600 screen? Seems like your resolution would be messed up? Perhaps I am thinking of a different device?

My screen resolution is 800 x 480. I used to own a rena3, upgrade to M9-3G. Both internal look similar to me except with 3g module. I would say it's the same device.

matt

#25 kslate

kslate

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:23 AM

I thought random shutdown problem is solved.
But,Wifi connection is unstable.
Build-in 3G doesn't work properly.
I found that Flashplayer plays video more smoothly than on 0908 firmware.

I was not able to find the predominance point of this firmware, so wait next one.

#26 bentusi

bentusi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:52 PM

Have installed the latest firmware on my first gen rena3. Managed to root it. i'm now modifying the build.prop file. 2.3 is very smooth and pretty impressive on the rena3

#27 fatesausage

fatesausage

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 24 October 2011 - 11:12 PM

Have installed the latest firmware on my first gen rena3. Managed to root it. i'm now modifying the build.prop file. 2.3 is very smooth and pretty impressive on the rena3

Any suggestions on the build.prop, besides full market? I've been looking at it and considering changing some of the power options, in hopes of preventing lockups. As well as possibly a few other settings.
My Current Tablets:
Renesas Dual/A9 Android 2.2
Rexing V7/Android 4.0.3 (basically a A10 Ployer Momo9)
Cube U18GT Elite--RK3066 Dual Core

Cube U18GT Elite thread

SausageScript for the RK3066 tablets, based on the Cube U18GT 1.06 firmware, still useful for many RK3066 tablets and possibly others

Guide to extended market access, updated on occaision useful for many Android versions

If I helped you, click here to help me, buy me a beer, or some coffee.

SD classifieds
I have a Renesas Rena3 and Momo9 tablets. PM me if you would like to buy one, and I'll give you a deal.

#28 bonj

bonj

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:07 PM

Hi Bentusi, looking forward to seeing anything you can provide for first generation machines - hoping to have a rooted, busyboxed, version soon. Let me know if I can assist with shaing things out.

#29 spoooon

spoooon

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:57 PM

Does full market work if you change the hardware signature etc on this version?

#30 bentusi

bentusi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:15 PM

Any suggestions on the build.prop, besides full market? I've been looking at it and considering changing some of the power options, in hopes of preventing lockups. As well as possibly a few other settings.

I'm getting occasional wifi drops. I guess there still must be some bugs with the firmware.

#31 bentusi

bentusi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:17 PM

Does full market work if you change the hardware signature etc on this version?

Yes, it still works, i'll upload my build.prop file. Note mine is 1st gen device, not sure if the build.prop is difference for other generation devices

#32 bentusi

bentusi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:42 PM

That naming scheme for sdcard and externalsd is the same behaviour as the Ainol NOVO 7 Advanced which is also running 2.3.5. My guess is that yess.. this is typical.

Speed is improved? This is excellent to hear :)

Stability? can anyone comment? Are there any killer bugs that you have noticed or glaring issues?

Cheers,

Roman

http://topnotchtablets.com

Hi all,

This is what i noticed for the first firmware on my FIRST GEN RENA3

Improvements:
1) Much faster experience compared with froyo (i was on 0616diy and was waiting for a more stable 2.3 version to be released)
2) Boot up is faster
3) Well for video the following files were tested to be working smoothly
AVI standard definition
MKV 720p
Apple MP4 Video 720p
RMVB Files (standard def)
I had not tried with AVI HD or RMVB HD files yet, if someone could try them and report them back, this would be great.
4) Youtube HD seems to be working smoothly for a video I tested. previous froyo firmware the same youtube clip in HD was jerky

Issues:
1) Camera doesn't seem to work.
2) Wifi seems to go off. I had to reboot the device to get it working again.
3) Market access is limited due to usage of test keys. This can be fixed easily by modifying the build.prop
4) Unable to root if using stock firmware.

This is what I gathered in my limited test time. If there is anything incorrect, please report back to this forum.

I'll be uploading a firmware for first gen rena3 users in my next post to make life simpler for us first gen users :p

#33 fatesausage

fatesausage

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:03 PM

4) Unable to root if using stock firmware.

Sounds like it's getting better. There was a zip, that contained a batch file, I used to root 2.3, I believe written by Paulxx. I noticed it only worked for me on 2.3, and worked very well. Found here:

http://www.slatedroi...421#entry242421

How about media.stagefright.enable-record=false/true for the camera?

Wifi, I have no idea, I just know it's good for the thing not to scan too often because you're likely going to stay on the same wifi network while using it. Maybe change the sleep settings... I also know that sometimes restoring my access points from 2.2 has caused issues with my wifi in 2.3. Maybe some of this might help... I'm hoping to be playing with 2.3 this weekend, myself.
My Current Tablets:

Cube U18GT Elite thread

SausageScript for the RK3066 tablets, based on the Cube U18GT 1.06 firmware, still useful for many RK3066 tablets and possibly others

Guide to extended market access, updated on occaision useful for many Android versions

SD classifieds
I have a Renesas Rena3 and Momo9 tablets. PM me if you would like to buy one, and I'll give you a deal.

#34 fatesausage

fatesausage

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:05 PM

Also, my G2x changed it's naming scheme up for the "external SD" in version 2.3. It baffled me at first, but actually helps when in recovery sometimes, once you know what's happening.
My Current Tablets:

Cube U18GT Elite thread

SD classifieds

#35 bentusi

bentusi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:16 PM

Sounds like it's getting better. There was a zip, that contained a batch file, I used to root 2.3, I believe written by Paulxx. I noticed it only worked for me on 2.3, and worked very well. Found here:

http://www.slatedroi...421#entry242421

How about media.stagefright.enable-record=false/true for the camera?

Wifi, I have no idea, I just know it's good for the thing not to scan too often because you're likely going to stay on the same wifi network while using it. Maybe change the sleep settings... I also know that sometimes restoring my access points from 2.2 has caused issues with my wifi in 2.3. Maybe some of this might help... I'm hoping to be playing with 2.3 this weekend, myself.

Yup that was the tool i was using, but you have to do some changes before you could use that too.

I'll reupload the tool again as i've updated the adb on it.

hmm, i'm not too sure but will try out your suggestion.

I haven't tried looking at the wifi issue yet though.

#36 bentusi

bentusi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:23 PM

Also, my G2x changed it's naming scheme up for the "external SD" in version 2.3. It baffled me at first, but actually helps when in recovery sometimes, once you know what's happening.

"sd_external" is now the SD card for the rena3 -> mnt/sd_external
sdcard is the internal NAND i think-> mnt/sdcard

#37 bentusi

bentusi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:51 PM

Here is the firmware for First Gen Rena3:

20111022_RENA3_GB_CAN_ROOT.7z (99.5 MB)

http://www.multiupload.com/Z0RNQRZ4RV

Tool to perform root on windows (need to have rena3 drivers installed on windows first - included in zip file)

Root Renav3_newerADB.zip (8.75 MB) - credits to Paulxx ->i've modified it to include newer ADB file.

http://www.multiupload.com/IIJFIEB37F

Changes i did for this firmware:
1) Ready to be rooted
2) Changed the build.prop file

This firmware is ready to be rooted using the above tool

Cheers :)

Edited by bentusi, 26 October 2011 - 02:48 AM.

#38 bonj

bonj

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:14 PM

Here is the firmware for First Gen Rena3:

20111022_RENA3_GB_CAN_ROOT.7z (99.5 MB)

http://www.multiupload.com/Z0RNQRZ4RV

Tool to perform root on windows (need to have rena3 drivers installed on windows first - included in zip file)

Root Renav3_newerADB.zip (8.75 MB) - credits to Paulxx ->i've modified it to include newer ADB file.

http://www.multiupload.com/IIJFIEB37F

Changes i did for this firmware:
1) Ready to be rooted
2) Changed the build.prop file

This firmware is ready to be rooted using the above tool

Cheers :)

Thanks again for your efforts - 'fraid I diodn't find the 10/22 practical for use yet. I was able to root with your version, but Busybox and Root Explorer both crashed. When I disabled phone.apk I founfd that wifi became irregular.

Guess I'll keep waiting for a more stable 2.3 for the original Rean.

#39 coniefl

coniefl

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:24 PM

I've downloaded these two files

2.3_20111022
a3-4ddr-sdboot

Unzipped both files and copied just the flles from both to the root of an 8GB sd card.
Placed the card into the tablet
Powered up holding Volume +

and the install fails.

I am on 2.2.1

Kernal Version is 2.6.29 hengai@and-ser2#1013

Build Number is renesas_emev-eng2.2.1 MASTER enghengai.20110712.124355 test-keys

Any Idea what I am doing wrong?

This is what I get with Volume +

FF4
--------------------
find : /tmp/sd/uImage4

--------------------
- CHECK cramFs -
--------------------
find : /temp/sd/cramFs4.tar.gz

--------------------
- CHECK android-fs -
--------------------
find : /tmp/sd/android-fs4.tar.gz

---------------------
-MAKE eMMC partition-
---------------------

---------------------
- INSTALL FAILED -
---------------------

FAIL

Edited by coniefl, 26 October 2011 - 06:29 PM.

#40 sqkid89

sqkid89

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:23 PM

these tablets seem to have issues when you use a card that's bigger than 2gigs to flash. if you don't have a smaller one, partition the card and try again.