Skytex Primer Pocket - can somone root?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 chasm4u

chasm4u

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:33 PM

I just bought the primer pocket from Groupon and see the larger version rooted but not this smaller one. Could somone figure out how to root it and let me know?

#2 Kairnage

Kairnage

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:01 PM

Just download and try Gingerbreak 1.2 . It will work or it won;t but it shouldn't hurt anything. You could call Skytes and ask them if you want to be certain.

If you Like my efforts please feel free to donate, the price of Pepsi Max keeps going up. DONATE HERE

Skytex Promotional code SLATE25OFF on Skytex tablets for all Slatedroid members @ shop.skytex.com

Skytex Skypad S10 Rabid ROM Beta v1.0
Skytex Imagine 10 Rabid ROM v10 Jelly Bean
Skytex SP712 ICS Stock
HP Touchpad Dual Boot WebOs and CM9
Skytex Skypad Gemini 7" ICS Rabid ROM V1.0
Excite 10 Tegra 3 Stock ICS
Elocity A7+ Evilocity ROM
Sylvania SynetLP 7" Rooted

#3 jdsage

jdsage

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:33 PM

Me, too! Chasm4u, Kairnage, if you get any helpful responses, please post them, I'm interested in doing the same thing. I can download Gingerbread, but don't know how to go about trying to load it onto the Skytex device. I like the little beast, but out of the box, the list of useful apps is shorter than I'd like. I'm interested in finding out if it would run more apps after rooting it and installing a generic Android. Would love to try Cyanogen Mod, for that matter, but I don't think it's on their list yet.

Thanks.

Jim (JDSage)

#4 Kairnage

Kairnage

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:21 PM

Me, too! Chasm4u, Kairnage, if you get any helpful responses, please post them, I'm interested in doing the same thing. I can download Gingerbread, but don't know how to go about trying to load it onto the Skytex device. I like the little beast, but out of the box, the list of useful apps is shorter than I'd like. I'm interested in finding out if it would run more apps after rooting it and installing a generic Android. Would love to try Cyanogen Mod, for that matter, but I don't think it's on their list yet.

Thanks.

Jim (JDSage)

I don't have one but as I understand it you transfer apps the same way you transfer music wither by usb or to a microsd.

If you Like my efforts please feel free to donate, the price of Pepsi Max keeps going up. DONATE HERE

Skytex Promotional code SLATE25OFF on Skytex tablets for all Slatedroid members @ shop.skytex.com

Skytex SP712 ICS Stock

#5 insanityltd

insanityltd

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:40 PM

Did anyone get their Primer Pocket to root, or have you found the USB driver for it to connect and acknowledge XP PC? If so, could someone walk me through it?

#6 dave-hayter

dave-hayter

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:10 AM

Did anyone get their Primer Pocket to root, or have you found the USB driver for it to connect and acknowledge XP PC? If so, could someone walk me through it?

I tried gingerBreak with no luck. I get the message "could not extract assets", I believe this means it has a locked bootloader. I searched high and low on the net for usb drivers so I could use adb, but nothing. I even contacted skytex directly and they said there is no usb drivers for the pocket primer.

#7 Kairnage

Kairnage

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:06 PM

I tried gingerBreak with no luck. I get the message "could not extract assets", I believe this means it has a locked bootloader. I searched high and low on the net for usb drivers so I could use adb, but nothing. I even contacted skytex directly and they said there is no usb drivers for the pocket primer.

Have you tried the normal android drivers? Manually installing them?

The error can also mean bad file permissions, but you need adb to fix it.

Skytex SP712 ICS Stock

#8 dave-hayter

dave-hayter

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:44 AM

Have you tried the normal android drivers? Manually installing them?

The error can also mean bad file permissions, but you need adb to fix it.

Yes, I believe I did.
I went through "found new hardware wizard" and pointed them to the USB drivers folder found in the android sdk folder.
Windows would not install the drivers.

Maybe drivers for similar hardware could be modified and used.

#9 Kairnage

Kairnage

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:39 AM

Yes, I believe I did.
I went through "found new hardware wizard" and pointed them to the USB drivers folder found in the android sdk folder.
Windows would not install the drivers.

Maybe drivers for similar hardware could be modified and used.

What you want to try is open device manager with the pocket attached, go to update drive, don;t shoos browse, choose let me pick, have disk, then browse to the folder.

For people trying to root, things to Google for - Universal Androot, z4root, and older versions of Gingerbreak like 1.1 and 1.0

Skytex SP712 ICS Stock

#10 Skytex_Joe

Skytex_Joe

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:54 PM

FYI, I believe the pocket actually comes with root access out of the box. I don't know if they make cyanogen for mips based devices. It's very close to the hardware specs of the Cruz T301 tablet, so some of the work going on with that tablet may apply to the pocket in some way or another.

#11 Kairnage

Kairnage

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:01 PM

FYI, I believe the pocket actually comes with root access out of the box. I don't know if they make cyanogen for mips based devices. It's very close to the hardware specs of the Cruz T301 tablet, so some of the work going on with that tablet may apply to the pocket in some way or another.

Easy way to test would be to install Superuser, if it is not present and then an app that requires root like ADB Wireless or Root Explorer.

Skytex SP712 ICS Stock

#12 Skytex_Joe

Skytex_Joe

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:45 PM

I installed root explorer after my last post and it's good to go.

#13 dave-hayter

dave-hayter

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:55 PM

Easy way to test would be to install Superuser, if it is not present and then an app that requires root like ADB Wireless or Root Explorer.

I just installed and ran root checker to verify if it was rooted out of the box, unfortunately it is not.

Not mine anyways.

#14 Kairnage

Kairnage

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:18 PM

I just installed and ran root checker to verify if it was rooted out of the box, unfortunately it is not.

Not mine anyways.

Some checks won;t see root without busybox and superuser installed.

Skytex SP712 ICS Stock

#15 tamara7777

tamara7777

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:36 AM

i have windows xp and it recognizes skytex primer pocket as original adb device, and adb calls it ingenic108a installed by google c:\windows\system32\drivers\ssadadb.sys. this is as far as ive gotten progressing forward in the quest for root. ive installed incompatible software just to see what would happen and got a constant flashing hardware error across screen. contacted support and restored it with software supplied no issue, but no root either. i cant seem to get anywhere with this device. i cant get it to mount as rw, i may have temporarily, but when i try to modify anything it tells me system disc is full and aborts. this is very frustrating. i dont like the preinstalled rom that forbids me to access the market with rom manager root explorer all the apps that make my life easier. im having to copy apks from my evo3d(another root disaster btw)and try to install thru trial and error. ONE CLICK DOES NOT WORK NEITHER DO ANY OF THE OTHER ROOT PROGRAMS AND BELIEVE ME, I TRIED THEM ALL. does it have a bootloader? if so, can it be unlocked? how do i manually root through adb/fastboot/&adb shell with # commands (ive done it before on my old evo 4g), where do i grab the custom recovery image? and what roms are compatible?? i cant find any useable information on this tablet that answers ANY ONE of those questions. so far the most useful bit of info i found was that "it is very similar to a cruz t301" (same processor i guess. i want to give this to my daughter but at it is is just isnt any better than a childs toy (yeah, i know, you get what you pay for right?)

#16 Kairnage

Kairnage

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:18 AM

i have windows xp and it recognizes skytex primer pocket as original adb device, and adb calls it ingenic108a installed by google c:\windows\system32\drivers\ssadadb.sys. this is as far as ive gotten progressing forward in the quest for root. ive installed incompatible software just to see what would happen and got a constant flashing hardware error across screen. contacted support and restored it with software supplied no issue, but no root either. i cant seem to get anywhere with this device. i cant get it to mount as rw, i may have temporarily, but when i try to modify anything it tells me system disc is full and aborts. this is very frustrating. i dont like the preinstalled rom that forbids me to access the market with rom manager root explorer all the apps that make my life easier. im having to copy apks from my evo3d(another root disaster btw)and try to install thru trial and error. ONE CLICK DOES NOT WORK NEITHER DO ANY OF THE OTHER ROOT PROGRAMS AND BELIEVE ME, I TRIED THEM ALL. does it have a bootloader? if so, can it be unlocked? how do i manually root through adb/fastboot/&adb shell with # commands (ive done it before on my old evo 4g), where do i grab the custom recovery image? and what roms are compatible?? i cant find any useable information on this tablet that answers ANY ONE of those questions. so far the most useful bit of info i found was that "it is very similar to a cruz t301" (same processor i guess. i want to give this to my daughter but at it is is just isnt any better than a childs toy (yeah, i know, you get what you pay for right?)

It's not a matter of what you paid. You bought an mp3/media player that runs Froyo not a full blown tablet. There are plenty of tablets out there that never get rooted. With Froyo and a 2D gpu you are going to find a lot of newer games won't play.

What kind of access does adb give you? Can you push/pull from system folders?

Skytex SP712 ICS Stock

#17 tamara7777

tamara7777

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:08 AM

let me just start off saying that id consider myself an advanced noob with this stuff. i have rooted evo4g, evo3d, samsung galaxy nexus 4g, and one other, forgot what it was exactly. but anyway, i am completely self taught and have been lucky in that i havent bricked any devices yet, although ive come close. its all trial and error really. anyhow, with sdk pretty much sky is the limit with most devices (had to use oden with the sgs4g though) you start off with adb commands (reboot, reboot bootloader, reboot into fastboot mode, etc..), then come the fastboot commands (you can flash recovery and boot images and zips and much more) then there are the shell commands which is where you can gain superuser permissions and gain root access to rewrite system files. but if the device is still locked or mounted as read only, obviously you cant write or modify system with custom roms or kernels. ive done a lot of searching and there are ways to use certain commands to modify it, but its a lot of trial and error and it gets very tedius.
this skytex primerpocket, as simple as its system files are, has me stumped. the system files are predominantly .bin or binary files, and i havent found any other roms anywhere that are even close to what this device came preinstalled with. (the file image consits of these filenames:fw.bin, fw_ddr2.bin, fw_ddr2_test.bin, fw_mddr.bin, hardwarecfg (cnfiguration settings), linuxnandconfig, miniosnandcfg, othernandcfg, and then usb_boot.bin. this is very different from regular roms that consist of a boot.img file, a system folder, recovery folder and a meta-inf folder. so ive gotta assume that even if true root can be gained on this device, there probably isnt going to be any other roms out there that will work on this simplified file system. again, im an advanced noob, who knows if i know what the hell im talking about, but thats what im gonna assume at this point. as someone else stated, you get what you pay for, i guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users