Android Tablets Forum banner

Honeycomb rom - Working WiFi! *update fixes sleep and power button

117K views 315 replies 54 participants last post by  kingbubby07 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
New rom up fixes power management (sort of) and remaps the buttons to the way they should be. The device now sleeps properly without going into sleep of death. Also remounts /system and / as read/write for convenience while this is in testing. The dpi has been reset to 120 in build.prop to fix compatibility issues with esfile explorer and other apps.

*added terminal emulator removed broken keyboards that were accidentally added again

Wifi Is now fixed - all hail terminander the mighty fixer of wifi

This is based off s10 firmware, do not flash from sh20 firmware or you might brick your device. Downgrade first using steps outlined in the wiki

Flash over the latest s10 firmware -11_19 version has been tested to work.

This is no longer just a preview release we now have working wifi and sleep - I am relabeling this as a "work in progress"

It is recommended that you use adw launcher rather than the default honeycomb launcher for usability issues relating to our low screen resolution and dpi. ADW launcher is faster and seems to use less resources.

We still need to fix audio and the battery meter but it's coming along.

enjoy honeycomb on your novel:

UPDATE MARCH 28 2012 The link below has been changed. This rom now includes CLOCKWORK MOD RECOVERY Please read the instructions here: http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/31478-clockworkmod-rom-collection/

Latest version- 10/30/11 revision 2 modified for CWM Recovery
http://www.mediafire.com/?mmkscr83278c1mv
WORKING WIFI - Mad credit to terminander for fixing our wifi issues and making this a useful rom

Here is a adw settings backup of what I use to make the icons all fit, disable the animations for speed etc. You can use this to set it all up faster if you prefer. Just copy it to your sdcard and go to adw settings in the top right, then go to backup and restore, restore adw settings, and select this file.
http://www.mediafire.com/?89xvbgtr696xb96

I got tired of fighting with cm7.1 so as a quick distraction I thought I'd cook a honeycomb rom. Ran into the same problem I was having with cm7.1 the newer netd bins hate our novel but I got around the problem:

Communication Device Gadget Portable communications device Mobile device Display device

Attachments

See less See more
1 2
#2 ·
alright setting up the vm heapsize a bit fixed it I got wallpapers now at least ha now I've got to deal with a broken touchscreen driver, logcat says this everytime I touch something:

V/ViewRoot( 2119): Dropping unsupported motion event (unimplemented): MotionEvent{4074a160 pointerId=0 action=ACTION_DOWN x=25.0 y=187.0 pressure=0.0 size=0.0 touchMajor=0.0 touchMinor=0.0 toolMajor=0.0 toolMinor=0.0 orientation=0.0 meta=0 pointerCount=1 historySize=0 flags=0x0 edgeFlags=0x0 device=2 source=0x100008}

more pics attached

Attachments

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
gonna try a different version of touchflinger since this came out of the sdk and was meant for mice maybe a few libs are missing but it's registering my touch input it's just not using it. On the memory front there's hope the g1 only has 192mb of ram and it has a usable port theres just gonna be some tweaking required.

*edit

found the problem with the touchscreen it was libinput.so

#5 ·
Honeycomb, love the tabbed browser, email. Have 3.2 on my Transformer.

Have you tried using swap to help with the memory issues.

Have you tried using ddms for screen captures. Doesn't work in stock fw, but worked for cm6.

I'm having trouble unpacking system.img in linux, how are you doing it?

#7 ·
Thanks for the info random blame.

Cm6 if pretty stable. Wifi as good as any, Market works, video a little quirky. Don't know what they were talking about portrait mode sluggishness. I ran it with the S20 kernel.

Cm7 would just add a few features.

Honeycomb is completely different and worth the effort. But it may push the limits by about 500 megs. Would love to see some links to sources.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
a lot of people would like to see some honeycomb sources
Google decided to never share them. This is cooked from an sdk image. I've almost got it ready for a preview release stay tuned. libhardware_legacy.so contains our wifi driver and needs to be recompiled for later versions of gingerbread and honeycomb so to get cm7 or honeycomb working wifi we'll need to take care of that. I tried setting a dpi of 200 for honeycomb to fit more on the screen and it reverted to the old style launcher and crashed like crazy so we're gonna be stuck at 160 for now too.

*edit

Ok I uploaded the rom have at it

it's on the first post.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
lol that is kernel source code
there is a difference between the kernel and the operating system. The kernel handles low level hardware commands and things of that nature. We don't have kernel source for our novels - which really limits them. Anyways that's not honeycomb source the inquirer is a rag. Read the comments on that article

Looks like I was going the wrong way with the dpi - I'm such a noob lol 120 dpi shows everything on the screen - too much time at the computer I may be going blind

#11 ·
Downloaded your flash and there is a problem with the ramdisk.img.

fuse: image crc 0x6a02a528 compute crc 0x75a93fb1

Won't flash.

So I'm running my S20 System, with a S10 Kernel, Recovery. And it works LOL

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
haha awesome I'll fix it and upload the version with the correct dpi settings. I'll take that link down for now thanks for the heads up

*edit
just realized why my netd fixes weren't working - broken ramdisk bah

*edit 2
New link dpi fixed, ramdisk, kernel and recovery removed.

*edit 3
damnit media fire or my connection isn't working right taking the link down again grrrrr

*edit 4
link up

#15 ·
I've installed the ASOP gingerbread version (alpha) and the wifi worked (sorta). I tried copying the egl drivers from a spica version (dec 2010 build) but it didn't work any better. Try grabbing the wifi.ko file from the other gingerbread build if that's still giving you problems.

Let me know if have any builds that we can test.
I'll give that a shot, the trick with the spica drivers is to modify the egl.conf driver so that it does not use the fimg file. I had it working with an fimg file and full 3d accel at one point but I lost it. Cant for the life of me figure out which fimg I was using. I'm gonna go back and reflash with each and every version on my computer - it will take a while haha I think honeycomb would be faster with working 3d - that seems to be whats slowing it down at the moment especially in the homescreen customizer. With es file explorer open I still have 114mb of ram free at the moment so we don't apear to be memory limited at the moment thanks to proper vmheapsize settings.

I got the gpio buttons working I'll upload another version in a bit still got more to tweak.

So now the only things to fix are:
wifi
audio
3d accel
sleep of death - probably can't fix it but who knows maybe I can find a way

#19 ·
I like it. A little on the slow side, and of course wi-fi's not working, but the apps start up and with a little side-loading, I suspect I could have market up and running without a problem (I'm getting good at finding ways to install it).

I'm trying your CM7.1 rom now to see how it is. I found the other gingerbread (alpha) version pretty slow - probably from verbose logging. It's booting...

#22 ·
Jaw dropping News!! I can not wait till you feel that there is a release for the general/average user like myself!

While you have gotten the OS working what apps have you tested? If any?

The few that I use the most are: Amazon Apps, Google Market, Amazon Kindle, ComiX, B&N or Nook, Adobe PDF, Akdio(sp?) eBook Reader.
I keep trying to run Amazon versions of "Anger Birds" but the graphics keep failing on me with my current setup.

:David

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ok I need help figuring out the ramdisk issue. I make a ramdisk, sign it, rename it etc and it feeds me this crap:6. fuse ramdisk.imgabout to run program [/tmp/fuse] with 3 args
header crc: 0x0ac9549c
compute crc: 0x0ac9549c
magic: OK
version: ramdisk
image crc: 0x0acab24a
compute crc: 0x46363cdd
Err: image crc fail!
run_program: child exited with status 9

It's obviously seeing the header and saying that's fine but it sees that the entirety of the file doesn't match what it's expecting. Is fuse locking me out? Is it even possible to modify the ramdisk? Is there a version of fuse I can stick in here to fix this crap?

edit*

so it looks like I have to modify fuse: http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/13879-hacking-the-bootloader/page__hl__ramdisk

I'm not very good with a hex editor. I can't seem to find the offset for the crc check. It would be very helpful if someone could point me in the right direction.

I'm trying to find a hex editor that can compare two binaries but no luck I tried putting two different fuses together in a folder and running
hexdump -C fuse > fuse.txt
hexdump -C fuse2 > fuse2.txt

and generating a diff between them but it didn't work bah

#27 · (Edited by Moderator)
new rom up - fixes include software 3d and proper button mapping etc etc still no wifi I wasted the day fighting fuse trying to get a ramdisk to load. Without the ramdisk I can't get the right version of netd working and I'm pretty sure it's required for wifi
If you're good with a hex editor step up

well in the process of trying to fix audio I fixed the backlight control. accelerometer still broken - don't know what to do about that it was broken in gingerbread too.

#28 · (Edited by Moderator)
HOWTO: Alter or create the PDN ramdisk.img by Roebeet.

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/6256-howto-alter-or-create-the-pdn-ramdiskimg/

I couldn't get his command line to work, even though I cut & pasted. But I did fix your ramdisk. Removed the first 64 bytes, opened in archive manager and got ramdisk. Then mounted Ramdisk, looked at files, then ejected drive. Regzipped and ran mkimage and it worked. But probably just openning and closing in archive manager, would have fix the checksum.problem.

#29 · (Edited by Moderator)
Wait what? Its a different size how can it match fuses hardcoded value? Post it so I can see please and a recovery log

The bottom entry in the recovery log is newest keep that in mind

How I understand it is fuse checks for two things before it writes a ramdisk:
the first 64 bytes - the signature
the overall size

Those values are hard coded into fuse which requires a hex edit to make a new version of fuse for a new ramdisk. I really hope I'm wrong but I think you probably read the top entry in your recovery log

#30 ·
Well I flashed it with fuse Fri night and I think it worked and booted. Today I had you newer system.img in and when I flashed/fused the ramdisk.img, it doesn't finish init and I didn't get adb. So I just flashed cm6 again.

View attachment ramdisk(copy).zip

Just change .zip to .img. There are posts on altering ramdisk.img and recovery.img so fuse may only hardcode bootloader.img.

Rotation/accelerometer is in sensors.smdk6410.so sensors.s3c6410.so, but I had no luck getting it working, causes a constant restart of services.

Attachments

Reactions: randomblame
#31 · (Edited by Moderator)
tested that ramdisk and it was flashed but no boot no adb just flashing blue screen I probably messed up the init.rc somehow strange I'll see what I can learn about this - my mind is boggled hehe

*edit
Ok so I'm pretty sure that the format of this ramdisk is wrong. It's simply not working at all with any system.imgs and it should be. I think it shouldn't be in the format of an image file gzipped it should be just a directory structure within a cpio.gz I think. I noticed the signature is different on it - how did you find the right signature? Is that the trick to overriding the crc issue?

ha I re-read that guide to remaking ramdisks and figured it out. The first time I read that I just used it to extract the ramdisk then I read some other guide to put it back together. That did it. Thanks a zillion

I guess fuse derives the end crc from the initial 64byte signature
YAY

#33 ·
root@android:/ # lsmod

rtnet3070sta 106782 0 - Live 0xbf0bb000

rt3070sta 717732 1 rtnet3070sta, Live 0xbf009000 (P)

rtutil3070sta 26168 2 rtnet3070sta,rt3070sta, Live 0xbf000000

root@android:/ #

It appears the drivers are loaded. But in logcat it says:

E/SurfaceFlinger( 1939): eglSwapBuffers: EGL error 0x300c (EGL_BAD_PARAMETER)
E/WifiService( 1939): Invoking mWifiStateMachine.setWifiEnabled
E/WifiStateMachine( 1939): Failed to load driver!
E/WifiStateMachine( 1939): DriverFailedState
E/SurfaceFlinger( 1939): eglSwapBuffers: EGL error 0x300c (EGL_BAD_PARAMETER)

I'm using the working drivers from the alpha gingerbread - but i don't think it matters. And the EGL errors are just to show I didn't leave anything out.

#34 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yeah for some nutty reason I have to have all those fimg files in there for soft3d to work and libeglfimg is the one throwing the errors. I know the wifi modules are loading but libhardware_legacy has more wifi stuff in it and needs to be recompiled I think or I'm missing something obvious

Think of the kernel and modules as firmware we need something in userland that knows how to talk to that firmware and make it go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.