view quest8

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 olliedowg

olliedowg

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:32 PM

Hi guys any help would be great i have the view quest slate8 running on the bits below but its really getting on my nerves, I didnt pay good money to only be able to play music and videos on it. Can somebody point me to the newest firmware that will work with this thing and also how i back everything up etc because ive spent all day trying to find a tutorial on here and every other site i can find but with no joy.
thanks in advance.

Model Number:
SLATE8
Firmware Version:
Kernel Version:
spreadwin version 2.1.8(JA08_jbs)
Build Number:
RK-1.3.2.eng.testteam.20101025.134330

#2 simon54321

simon54321

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:48 PM

this post is to explain how to back up the original firmware for the view quest slate. there are two versions of the tablet, 5 inch and the 8 inch screen,
although there may be diferant versions internaly, the only way to make custom firmware is to back up the original first, also if anything goes wrong you can always go back to the original firmware.

step one what you need
universal androot App this will give you root access
better terminal emulator App
root explorer App
rkdump utility extract and put this file on the root of the memory card
micro sd card with about 300MB free space
download all these apps and install them

step two
launch universal androot and press soft root so there is a tick in the box and then press go root and wait for the program to finnish now go back to android desktop by pressing home or back.

step three
launch root explorer and give it root permission when the box pops up asking for it, go to the file called sdcard, in here is everything that is on the sd card, now we need to copy the rkdump to the data folder, hold your finger on the rkdump file, a box will pop up, press copy and now press back, go into the data folder and press paste, now go back to android desktop by pressing home or back.

step four
launch better terminal emulator and give it root permission when the box pops up asking for it, and type #su it should now move to the next line and now to get a list of the available partitions type # cat /proc/mtd
you should now see something like this.

# cat /proc/mtd
dev: size erasesize name
mtd0: 00002000 00000010 "misc"
mtd1: 00004000 00000010 "kernel"
mtd2: 00002000 00000010 "boot"
mtd3: 00004000 00000010 "recovery"
mtd4: 00030000 00000010 "system"
mtd5: 0003a000 00000010 "backup"
mtd6: 0003a000 00000010 "cache"
mtd7: 00100000 00000010 "userdata"
mtd8: 00cbc000 00000010 "user"
mtd9: 00020000 00000010 "pagecache"
mtd10: 00020000 00000010 "swap"

we are interested in the backup partition which in this case is mtd5:. however, it may be different, so take a note of the number of the partition and change as need be. now type chmod 771 data/rkdump to give rkdumpit the correct attributes. now to Dump the partition. the next part you have to change this bit in the line to whatever your backup partition is, all you have to do is change the number to whatever yours is, so for example type # /data/rkdump /dev/block/mtdblock5 /sdcard/update.img or type # /data/rkdump /dev/block/mtdblock4 /sdcard/update.img the number i changed in the example is what you need to change using your own partition list. remember we want the backup partition, however we can dump any partition we like and it would be a good idea to dump the following misc and kernel and boot and recovery and system.
to do this, all we need to do is change a bit of the command line, so for example if we wanted to dump the system we would type this # /data/rkdump /dev/block/mtdblock4 /sdcard/system.img

thats it, now you should have a backup on your memory card. sharing the backup partition will help others make custom firmware. however you should never share the following partitions as they contain your own personal information, such as web sites you have visited and the apps you have installed. the partitions are "cache" "userdata" "user" pagecache"

#3 simon54321

simon54321

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:44 AM

i downloaded the file and tested it and it did not work. a green android logo comes up and then it goes into a boot loop. i have looked at the view quest site and the board seem to be different, the five inch has gps and an eight inch does not so all that i can figure is that the mother boards are different, however it is still possable for the eight inch version to be upgraded with android 1.6 even if it has to be built from source. for a good example of this go here http://wiki.archosfa...one_Development the Archos 7HT it runs off the same processor and has the same amount of ram. however the drivers for the touch screen and for the tv out and maybe some others will need to be replaced from the system image as it is highly unlikely that they are the same, with the backup image provided by olliedowg, but a warning, if it is done wrong you will have what i have got, a brick, from all the information i gathered before braking mine is that you should be alright as long as the only file you have changed is system.img, as you should still be able to get in recovery mode, however clearly this is not the case as i was very careful to keep the original recovery when putting it into my tablet. hopefully someone with the 8 inch version and has got experience modifying android files will create a custom firmware for it, and to anybody that is going to attempt it, do not forget that you need to re sign "boot.img " with the 4 byte crc if you modify it. and as for me i shall be going to ########### to get myself a tablet that works as i have given up hope that i will ever get this running again

#4 simon54321

simon54321

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:00 AM

i forgot to say, that if anybody does try to modify the firmware to replace the "kernel" "boot" "recovery" "backup" "misc" as these are specific to the tablet and if you try to use any other ones it will brick so do not flash the Archos 7HT images make sure that you replace them with the ones from olliedowg update.img

#5 singh

singh

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:03 AM

hi, is there any way i can update my slate 8, i am having trouble try to get apps

#6 alpick36

alpick36

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:09 AM

just wondering if there is any further development with this.
I have exactly the same tab and is mainly used as a paperweight.

#7 poppy1066

poppy1066

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

just wondering if there is any further development with this.
I have exactly the same tab and is mainly used as a paperweight.

did you fix your pad.i've got a view quest 1.5 8' slate that will not boot up,i have white stripes some times then goes blank any ideas.

#8 poppy1066

poppy1066

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

this post is to explain how to back up the original firmware for the view quest slate. there are two versions of the tablet, 5 inch and the 8 inch screen,
although there may be diferant versions internaly, the only way to make custom firmware is to back up the original first, also if anything goes wrong you can always go back to the original firmware.

step one what you need
universal androot App this will give you root access
better terminal emulator App
root explorer App
rkdump utility extract and put this file on the root of the memory card
micro sd card with about 300MB free space
download all these apps and install them

step two
launch universal androot and press soft root so there is a tick in the box and then press go root and wait for the program to finnish now go back to android desktop by pressing home or back.

step three
launch root explorer and give it root permission when the box pops up asking for it, go to the file called sdcard, in here is everything that is on the sd card, now we need to copy the rkdump to the data folder, hold your finger on the rkdump file, a box will pop up, press copy and now press back, go into the data folder and press paste, now go back to android desktop by pressing home or back.

step four
launch better terminal emulator and give it root permission when the box pops up asking for it, and type #su it should now move to the next line and now to get a list of the available partitions type # cat /proc/mtd
you should now see something like this.

# cat /proc/mtd
dev: size erasesize name
mtd0: 00002000 00000010 "misc"
mtd1: 00004000 00000010 "kernel"
mtd2: 00002000 00000010 "boot"
mtd3: 00004000 00000010 "recovery"
mtd4: 00030000 00000010 "system"
mtd5: 0003a000 00000010 "backup"
mtd6: 0003a000 00000010 "cache"
mtd7: 00100000 00000010 "userdata"
mtd8: 00cbc000 00000010 "user"
mtd9: 00020000 00000010 "pagecache"
mtd10: 00020000 00000010 "swap"

we are interested in the backup partition which in this case is mtd5:. however, it may be different, so take a note of the number of the partition and change as need be. now type chmod 771 data/rkdump to give rkdumpit the correct attributes. now to Dump the partition. the next part you have to change this bit in the line to whatever your backup partition is, all you have to do is change the number to whatever yours is, so for example type # /data/rkdump /dev/block/mtdblock5 /sdcard/update.img or type # /data/rkdump /dev/block/mtdblock4 /sdcard/update.img the number i changed in the example is what you need to change using your own partition list. remember we want the backup partition, however we can dump any partition we like and it would be a good idea to dump the following misc and kernel and boot and recovery and system.
to do this, all we need to do is change a bit of the command line, so for example if we wanted to dump the system we would type this # /data/rkdump /dev/block/mtdblock4 /sdcard/system.img

thats it, now you should have a backup on your memory card. sharing the backup partition will help others make custom firmware. however you should never share the following partitions as they contain your own personal information, such as web sites you have visited and the apps you have installed. the partitions are "cache" "userdata" "user" pagecache"

how can i restart my slate 8' 1.5os.it will not boot up. i get stripes then screen goes blank.only had it two days.please help