Android Tablets Forum banner

cm7.2 mostly working edition - now with moar audio -

99K views 349 replies 53 participants last post by  w98seeng 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
*update SOD is caused by the screen on and screen off animations (the crt animations)
To fix: go to settings:cyanogenmodSettings:Display and uncheck screen-on animation and screen-off animation

I also recommend disabling surface dithering and other animations under settings:display for more speed

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I've got limited time to work on this so I thought I'd share it with the community for input and help. This is cm7.2 running on gingerbread 2.3.7 with mostly working unaccelerated graphics.

First of all this is based off s10 series firmware - sh20 users will have to downgrade following instructions which can be found in the wiki. This rom contains CWM Recovery so please read up on it - tapping the screen in recovery is mapped to select that's the trickiest part that might confuse you. Flashing this over sh20 firmware will cause boot loops and probably will brick your novel. If you don't know what you're doing don't flash this.

Current Status:
Audio - FIXED
Wifi - Now works almost flawlessly but will crash if turned off, seems to be a power issue
Sleep - causes hang if the crt animations are enabled. Disable them in cmsettings
Battery status - Now working properly
Accelerometer - Now working properly though the screen flashes green on rotate - thanks to terminander for lib
Built in gingerbread keyboard - squished as usual, an alternate keyboard is included and set as default.
Games - angry birds space tested and working slowly but playable and no graphical corruption
Google Apps - installed and working, they update to the latest version and continue working.
Use these Gapps

UPDATED APRIL 24 2012 This rom now includes CWM Recovery read instructions here:http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/31478-clockworkmod-rom-collection/

Here's the link flash with care:
http://www.mediafire.com/?c4dije3ff8u4zaf
md5sum:
ffe7778534a387e3824cbc254e258c4c

See less See more
#5 ·
S10 is a simpler base to start with the only difference an sh20 base would bring would be internal SD partitioning and until wifi is working its not worth digging into the ramdisk and risking bricks over. Maybe eventually. Wifi will not benefit at all though.

#6 ·
No comments? Has anyone dug into the system image? I'm almost certain I'm just missing a lib or etc file for wifi...

All my internets are through my phone so git doesn't work at least not for long. If I could I'd git the source and build a more modern version of cm7 from scratch based off 2.3.7 and I'd compile the wifi and graphics stuff too. Cooking is not the proper way to make an android rom. If someone wants to try compiling from scratch there are a lot of guides out there... just be sure to build it for dream/sapphire or generic maybe because I'm not sure if dream is still supported.

#7 ·
Apparently cm still officially supports at least one armv6 device still the original Motorola cliq I'm downloading the latest nightly now. So now If I can figure out which libs and etc files are required for fully functional usb and wifi ill be a happy nerd

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hmm cliq uses a qualcom 7x series soc which is not exactly armv6 qualcom likes to make their own arm architectures based on what arm puts out but slightly different. Any native code may not work I'm not getting past the boot screen yet lol but I got a few wifi hints from this dump nvram file may be the culprit

edit:
screw the cliq base I found cm7.1 for the spica - that'll be much easier.

edit2:
the spica cm7.1 based rom I'm cooking won't get past the boot animation and no adb... lame

edit3:
fixed adb! the cm7.1 boot issue looks like the new gralloc files hate their new home. haha

edit4:
I calmed down the gralloc errors now only one thing preventing boot is the new implementation of netd - missing a config file or two in ramdisk I'll take care of it... wifi should be pretty easy now that I can freaking logcat ha

edit5:
shiney it's alive I did a quick swap and exchanged netd bins with the older version - an ugly yet nessecary hack I'll do it right later haha now I have a modern base to work with a cm 7.1 nightly based on android 2.3.5 built this month. My novel feels sexy. Tomorrow the wifi tonight the sleep.

one more thing before sleep:

log from wifi load attempt:
E/WifiService( 1919): Failed to load Wi-Fi driver.
D/SettingsAppWidgetProvider( 2299): Widget is from a previous version... Let's update
D/SettingsAppWidgetProvider( 2299): No instances yet... Wait for at least one instance to exist before adding global settings
D/SettingsAppWidgetProvider( 2299): Widget is from a previous version... Let's update
D/SettingsAppWidgetProvider( 2299): No instances yet... Wait for at least one instance to exist before adding global settings
E/WifiService( 1919): Failed to load Wi-Fi driver.

maybe dmesg will be more helpful

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
hmmmm maybe it would help to load these kernel modules if lsmod and insmod and all the rest of the toolbox links were in the bin dir... silly people

*edit
woot the wifi modules are loaded still an error on start though hmm

edit2
tried running the load wifi script manually through adb here's the output:

# /system/bin/loadWiFi.sh
insmod: init_module '/system/lib/modules/rtutil3070sta.ko' failed (File exists)
usleep: not found
insmod: init_module '/system/lib/modules/rt3070sta.ko' failed (File exists)
insmod: init_module '/system/lib/modules/rtnet3070sta.ko' failed (File exists)
mkdir failed for /mnt/, File exists
mkdir failed for /mnt/secure, File exists
mkdir failed for /mnt/secure/staging, File exists
mkdir failed for /mnt/secure/asec, File exists
Unable to chmod /system/bin/su: No such file or directory
405 volume operation failed (Device or resource busy)

so I'll add su and see what happens. not sure what the usleep commands are directed at...

edit again
not getting anywhere grr

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
i've come to a few conclusions:

libhardware.so from raps gingerbread setup doesn't work with this version of netd - it may need to be recompiled

I need to fix netd properly with a line in init.rc - trouble is my dev system is possessed and hates me for some reason permissions are jumping around and gzip is retarded. I can unpack the ramdisk but it won't repack the ramdisk. I was using my other laptop to do that but the charger for it mysteriously stopped working yesterday. hurray.

I found the source for the eclair version of libhardware_legacy.so but is it different from the one used in raps gb? probably. I need to find that source. no wifi today

*edit

well I killed gzip and reinstalled it, edited and repacked the ramdisk, switched back to the new version of netd and wala the service runs but it encounters an error trying to load something that doesn't exist yay I have to unpack an image from spica and see if I can find it lol joy

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've tried this as well (again yesterday to get away from honeycomb) and it has the same issues as HC. I remember rapmv's comment that he was able to compile directly from ASOP his GB version (he used either arm full-eng or generic full-eng - which is emulator with full debugging). Then I'm guessing he pulled the kernel from 03/02 Android 2.0.

OR he recompiled the kernel from somewhere. There is a PDN_vendor tree but boy I doubt he did anything with it.

I'm avoiding compiling anything. For one, I'm not sure what to do with anything that compiles, and mostly, I have terrible luck getting anything to actually compile.

NOTE - this is damn fast. Really fast. Extraordinarily fast. This might be the keeper for me until ICS. Honeycomb seems terribly slow after playing with this.

#21 ·
So I was looking for a inexpensive tablet that I could get my Grandmother so that she could keep in contact via Facebook, email, and such, also give her a way to surf the web. I ran across the Pandigital Novel today and read about turning it into a tablet. Do you think this would be a good start for her, think it is worth the expense with going with this reader?

#26 ·
No bleepin' way! I have two Android devices; a Motorola Charm and a WPDN. The Charm has a full but tiny keyboard. The keyboard makes all the difference in the world.

The WPDN has no buttons in a 'normal' configuration. If it had at least 4 it would be SO MUCH BETTER!

I'd pass on netbooks for her as well since they have tiny keyboards.

Go for a real tablet with basic keys and some sort of direction device: 4-way button, nub, pad, whatever.

For an experienced user the WPDN is fine.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
Good story - buy yellow bananas.

In the meantime I'm compiling cm7 from scratch. I'm now certain that the issue lies with the libhardware_legacy.so and related files. Without source or some sort of hex editing genius honeycomb is out of the question for now. ICS will be available in source form soon enough so that will be my goal. For now I'm playing with the cm layout.

*edit I just built a new libhardware_legacy.so and I'm getting there. different output resulting from a mistake I made in the source. I think wifi on cm7 is coming soon

#31 ·
PDN-Slatedroid source is here - http://code.google.com/p/pdn-slatedroid/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk%2Feclair (Check out the wiki here too for HaTaX's notes, and full vendor tree for Real6410)
Was from this thread, back when more dev types were active: http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/3646-eclairfroyo-dev-no-noobs-allowed-p/

I don't believe rapmv used source control, but he did upload his code one time:
http://code.google.com/p/pdn-slatedroid-froyo/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk%2Ffroyo

Finally, don't know if you are aware but it *is* possible to recover from complete bricks (Courtesy RobBrownNZ) -
http://www.cobbleware.com/WPDN/wpdnserial.html

Hope this helps...

#29 · (Edited by Moderator)
Have you thought of doing a bugreport with ADB to get info on the various drivers? It could help. The Dmesg section could prove very useful (if adb is working, of course). Or, if you have a android terminal, just do a dmesg and export the resulting log.

Also, you might consider searching through the FCC site. They have very useful documents you could use about the device.

There is a great user manual & brochures for the S3C6410 that is on the Samsung site:

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/support/brochures/downloads/systemlsi/s3c6410_brochure_200802.pdf
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/support/brochures/downloads/systemlsi/s3c6410_datasheet_200804.pdf

Hope it helps.

#30 ·
I found a very helpful guide here:
http://blog.linuxconsulting.ro/2010/04/porting-wifi-drivers-to-android.html

I'm still working on it but progressing slowly. still have to manually load dhcpcd and wpa_supplicant but It's scanning I think dhcpcd is screwing me over. It may all be related to usergroup permissions in init.rc because I think the above guide may be depricated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.