Photo

First Time Flashing Your Tablet? Look here!

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 JH5279

JH5279

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationSC, USA

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:24 AM

HeroTab C8
Posted Image

The intent of this topic is to provide information for the following folks:

-First time android owners
-First time tablet owners
-People who have never rooted their device or flashed a CROM

I would assume that most people who buy a herotab c8 will wind up finding Slatedroid after they realize their tablet comes installed with poor firmware from the manufacturer. This is a step by step procedure for anyone to flash a new ROM on to their device. This will not require you to install drivers or be familiar with Linux...unless you don't follow the instructions correctly.

1. Fully charge your device and insert a micro sd card into the TF slot. The card that goes in the TF slot is what is referred to as the "external" sd card.

Posted Image

2. This can cause some confusion when you connect the tablet to your pc because you will see two new drives since the tablet also has an internal sd card. Connect your tablet to your pc and turn on USB storage.

Posted Image

3. Make sure that the external sd card is formatted in FAT32. In my case the external card is listed as Removable Disk L:

Posted Image

4. Download a ROM of your choice.

5. Extract the .rar file to your desktop

6. Copy and paste the entire contents of the ROM's folder to your external sdcard. Make sure this is copied to the external card, not the internal. A quick tip is that the external will be the one that is empty.

Posted Image

7. Once the file transfer is complete disable usb storage on the tablet, wait for the media scan to finish running, and power down the tablet.

8. Now that the tablet is powered off hold down the menu key (M) and at the same time hold down the power button.
Once you see the screen flash you can release the buttons.

Posted Image

9. From here it should take care of itself. Depending on the rom you are installing you may see anything from an android with a status bar or just plain text giving the current status of the flash.
Depending on the speed class of your external sdcard this process may take anywhere from 2-5+ minutes. I recommend leaving the tablet on a flat surface or on a stand while flashing. The reason for this is that it's easy to accidentally press buttons or hit the on/off slider switch while handling the tablet. Some ROM's will automatically erase the internal sdcard and reset everything when they install. If the ROM you install doesn't, it's a good idea to do a factory data reset after the flash.

Posted Image

10. Enjoy your new ROM and support the devs.

After you're done flashing you can delete the rom files off of the external hard drive.

Edited by JH5279, 19 November 2011 - 02:57 AM.

• Mp4, Loonix, sergioj and 2 others like this

#2 killerbeeNL

killerbeeNL

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:19 AM

Well done!

send from my Dropad A8 Evolution 2.0

#3 Joe G.

Joe G.

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:25 AM

Very nice. Seems like you've hit all the highlights of flashing.

#4 prox32

prox32

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:43 AM

#Sticky and title edited slightly

good job!

#5 MicBoucinha

MicBoucinha

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:33 AM

Hi guys...
newbie here... I followed your tutorial to flash Genesis ROM and everything seemed to have worked great... until I tried to turn on the c8 again. Basically it seems to be stuck in the "Upgrade System activated" mode and I am not sure what I have to do.

Does anyone has any idea what I can do?

#6 prox32

prox32

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:08 AM

Hi guys...
newbie here... I followed your tutorial to flash Genesis ROM and everything seemed to have worked great... until I tried to turn on the c8 again. Basically it seems to be stuck in the "Upgrade System activated" mode and I am not sure what I have to do.

Does anyone has any idea what I can do?

Generally means you have installed a 1ghz version on a newer tablet which only accepts 1.2ghz speed,reflash with genesis performance and see if the problem persists.
  • chicagojohn likes this

#7 MicBoucinha

MicBoucinha

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 03:29 PM

Generally means you have installed a 1ghz version on a newer tablet which only accepts 1.2ghz speed,reflash with genesis performance and see if the problem persists.

Thanks, worked like a charm :).

#8 boyjunk

boyjunk

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:08 PM

Hello, I'm new here obviously! I got a herotab c8 from Amazon, it came preloaded and worked well enough. After browsing around, I found Evolution 1.3.3 mod and attempted to Flash the drive. However, I placed the files on my internal sd and external sd on accident. The flashing process went Ok but on "Updating File System", the tablet froze. I waited a few hrs and nothing happened, so i turned it off :-(.

Since then, whenever I press the power button, nothing happens. No lights, not display, etc. The screen just stays off. When I plug the board in, the power light comes on and that's about it. I've heard that the board can be brought back and I've searched the forum but I haven't come across direction on how to SPECIFICALLY unbrick this tablet. I'm new to all this and I'm not trying to do anything stoopid (again) unless I'm sure. I need help, not scalding. Please help me!

#9 boyjunk

boyjunk

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:24 PM

Hello, I'm new here obviously! I got a herotab c8 from Amazon, it came preloaded and worked well enough. After browsing around, I found Evolution 1.3.3 mod and attempted to Flash the drive. However, I placed the files on my internal sd and external sd on accident. The flashing process went Ok but on "Updating File System", the tablet froze. I waited a few hrs and nothing happened, so i turned it off :-(.

Since then, whenever I press the power button, nothing happens. No lights, not display, etc. The screen just stays off. When I plug the board in, the power light comes on and that's about it. I've heard that the board can be brought back and I've searched the forum but I haven't come across direction on how to SPECIFICALLY unbrick this tablet. I'm new to all this and I'm not trying to do anything stoopid (again) unless I'm sure. I need help, not scalding. Please help me!

I found THIS link: http://www.slatedroi...ur-dead-tablet/

From now, let's see how to do it:
- Take the SD card, put it into the reader, plug it into your Linux machine. Make sure you can use a disk management app (best is the Gnome Disk Manager, coming default with Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, and some more distros)
- Download the firmware pack I've linked before, and extract it
- Open a terminal, go to the extracted firmware's directory, and do the following (/dev/sdg was my device, use the Disk Manager to determine yours path):

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdg bs=512KB count=4
sudo dd if=u-boot-sd.bin of=/dev/sdg

- When it finished, unplug the card reader, then reattach it.
- Open the disk manager, select the card reader HUB, and take a look. You should see 4 partitions: the first around 100MB, second one around 500MB, third one around 130MB, and last one should be 1.8GB. Format the 500MB or 1.8GB one to FAT32, and mount it!

but honestly it doesn't make much sense to me (the linux terminal part) . I"ll try PM'ing the poster but if anyone wants to volunteer, holla @ me. I'd appreciate it.

#10 JH5279

JH5279

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationSC, USA

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:09 AM

Shortest solution, return it. To your advantage, amazon has exellent return policies.

Have you tried putting one of the newer roms (paradise, genesis, evolution) on an external and flashing again?

Edited by JH5279, 13 October 2011 - 02:13 AM.

#11 boyjunk

boyjunk

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:30 AM

I found THIS link: http://www.slatedroi...ur-dead-tablet/

but honestly it doesn't make much sense to me (the linux terminal part) . I"ll try PM'ing the poster but if anyone wants to volunteer, holla @ me. I'd appreciate it.

Never mind. Figured it out!

#12 JH5279

JH5279

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationSC, USA

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:52 AM

Never mind. Figured it out!

Well post your solution to help out the next person that makes the mistake.

Edited by JH5279, 13 October 2011 - 03:53 AM.

#13 rosiekatie

rosiekatie

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:45 PM

great job on this help tut JH :clapping: super easy to follow even for a newby dummy :drinks:

#14 Nightwing

Nightwing

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:02 AM

This is a really good guide, but how come there is no guide for 'First Time Rooting Your Tablet'? I could not even find anything on the web that roots a stock gingerbread rom, even though many cool tweaks require root access. :/ What's up guys?

#15 JH5279

JH5279

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationSC, USA

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:45 PM

This is a really good guide, but how come there is no guide for 'First Time Rooting Your Tablet'? I could not even find anything on the web that roots a stock gingerbread rom, even though many cool tweaks require root access. :/ What's up guys?

The majority of the ROMs here come with root. So after you flash you're all done and rooted. Coming from the android phone 1 click root eh?

Edited by JH5279, 17 October 2011 - 04:47 PM.

#16 TRules

TRules

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:11 PM

Hey guys, newbie here, own a HeroPad C8, don't have full market access, can't download skype and now the partial market also went down. Please advise which ROM to use? Genisis / Performance / Evolution? all i need is full market, Skype with cam. Please point me to right part for downloading ROM. been looking everywhere but can't fine ROM. Many Thank

#17 JH5279

JH5279

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationSC, USA

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:01 PM

Theyre all good in their own way. I prefer the Genesis performance rom's @ 1.2ghz. They will all let you do what you want so its mainly a choice of looks and performance. Check out the video run down thread and don't forget to flash from the external sdcard.

Edit: and don't forget to support the dev's.

Edited by JH5279, 18 October 2011 - 12:40 AM.

#18 Frank K

Frank K

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:56 AM

Never mind. Got it working. Now to flash the rom.
Thanks,
Frank K

#19 Nightwing

Nightwing

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:59 AM

im in a bad place man.

1. I was running original 2.3, planned to upgrade to latest genesis fw. I decided to try ofw 1010 first. It got stuck on update file system.. i used the hardware off switch and reset it. it would get stuck at the haipad logo of the ofw 1010. http://lyt.no-ip.org...d-a8-firmwares/ i got it from here. it would still run the upgrade when i pressed power + menu, but would get stuck again at 'update file system'. I took the external sd card out, formatted it using sd formatter 3.0, and put genesis 2.3 on it. Put it back in, pressed power + menu, and nothing happened this time. No display, no sign of life.

2. Then I followed this excellent guide. Winimage was not working in Windows 7, so I used windows xp and followed the steps . It still didnt work, and I tried it both ways (with and without steps 5.1- 5.3) Still, no sign of life. I even charged it just to make sure it was not out of juice.

Please help with your expertise and point me in the right direction. Much appreciated.

If i open it up, how do I format the internal sd card to raw?

#20 JH5279

JH5279

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationSC, USA

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:52 AM

im in a bad place man.

1. I was running original 2.3, planned to upgrade to latest genesis fw. I decided to try ofw 1010 first. It got stuck on update file system.. i used the hardware off switch and reset it. it would get stuck at the haipad logo of the ofw 1010. http://lyt.no-ip.org...d-a8-firmwares/ i got it from here. it would still run the upgrade when i pressed power + menu, but would get stuck again at 'update file system'. I took the external sd card out, formatted it using sd formatter 3.0, and put genesis 2.3 on it. Put it back in, pressed power + menu, and nothing happened this time. No display, no sign of life.

2. Then I followed this excellent guide. Winimage was not working in Windows 7, so I used windows xp and followed the steps . It still didnt work, and I tried it both ways (with and without steps 5.1- 5.3) Still, no sign of life. I even charged it just to make sure it was not out of juice.

Please help with your expertise and point me in the right direction. Much appreciated.

If i open it up, how do I format the internal sd card to raw?

If you did not use the 1.2ghz firmware, use that.

Genesis 2.7.1

1.2ghz - http://www.multiupload.com/LW9TK54KSA

Edited by JH5279, 28 October 2011 - 07:54 AM.