21 replies to this topic

#1 omarahum

omarahum

Zenithink Tablet User / Information Transmitter

• Global Moderators
  • 6,503 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:38 PM

Was wondering if anyone opened up their tablet yet? Can you post pictures of the internals? What's the proper/safest way to do it? Thanks in advance!

(I was outside today trying to see if my USB GPS would work on the C91 and noticed there was a lot of dust under the capacitive touchscreen. I want to open it up and clean it if possible, but don't want to damage the tablet.)

zenithinklogosforsignature3.png
Zenithink ZT-180-101 Original 10" Epad (Ruby 1.2 / 576 - B0) (0603 Froyo) - {July 2010} R.I.P. - May 2013
Zenithink ZT-180-701A 7" Upad (Cameo - E3) (0613/0618 Froyo) - {April 2011}
Zenithink ZT-180-102 10" v2 Zepad (Jade 2.3-Blue - G0) (0613/0618 Froyo) - {April 2011}
Zenithink ZT-280-C91 10" Zepad (H1_2n : 0217 GB
@ 900MHz w/ 2GB Data Partition) - {Sept. 2011}
Zenithink ZT-280-C71 7" Upad (E7_1n : 0217 GB @ 900MHz w/ 1.5GB Data Partition) - {Sept. 2011}
Zenithink ZT-283-C93 10" ZTPad (H6_1f : 0911 ICS w/ 2GB Data Partition and working (pl2303) USB GPS)
- {Oct. 2012}
Zenithink ZT-283-C97 9.7" ZTPad (I1_2a :
0910 ICS w/ 2GB Data Partition and working (pl2303) USB GPS) - {Nov. 2012}

SlateDroid ZT-180 WIKI \ Zenithink Website \ Zenithink FTP \ Stock ROMs \ ZT-28* Modified Kernels & RecoveriesM \ Donations Accepted!
If I've helped you or are using an overclocked kernel I've uploaded, and wish to help support my efforts, please consider leaving me a donation. Thank you!
btn_donate_SM.gif ॐ 
Please click on the Like This button for any posts you like or have helped you to show your appreciation...
Also know that all the staff here are volunteers, we don't get paid for our time spent here, so please be patient with us... Thank you!

#2 omarahum

omarahum

• Global Moderators
  • 6,503 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:17 AM

Anyone?

atp_uestc, could you tell us how to open up the tablets without damaging them?

I'd really like to clean (under) the capacitive screen on my C91, and atp said the mic probem with the C71 may be due to the audio chip, I'd like to know which one I have.....

Zenithink ZT-180-101 Original 10" Epad (Ruby 1.2 / 576 - B0) (0603 Froyo) - {July 2010} R.I.P. - May 2013
Zenithink ZT-180-102 10" v2 Zepad (Jade 2.3-Blue - G0) (0613/0618 Froyo) - {April 2011}
Zenithink ZT-280-C71 7" Upad (E7_1n : 0217 GB @ 900MHz w/ 1.5GB Data Partition) - {Sept. 2011}
Zenithink ZT-283-C93 10" ZTPad (H6_1f : 0911 ICS w/ 2GB Data Partition and working (pl2303) USB GPS)
- {Oct. 2012}

SlateDroid ZT-180 WIKI \ Zenithink Website \ Zenithink FTP \ Stock ROMs \ ZT-28* Modified Kernels & RecoveriesM \ Donations Accepted!
If I've helped you or are using an overclocked kernel I've uploaded, and wish to help support my efforts, please consider leaving me a donation. Thank you!
btn_donate_SM.gif ॐ 
Please click on the Like This button for any posts you like or have helped you to show your appreciation...
Also know that all the staff here are volunteers, we don't get paid for our time spent here, so please be patient with us... Thank you!

#3 Mach1

Mach1

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:08 PM

I had to open up my ZeniThink ZT-280 C91 today as the screen had gone off but would flicker if I touched or tapped the rear of it.
After opening it, I found a loose ribbon cable, presumably the one from the screen.
It was seated at a slight angle to the connector on the board that it was plugged into and the connector was loose.
I've straightened the connecting ribbon and re-seated the connector to lock it in place.
The screen now works fine, just need to workout how to get the operating system back on it.

To remove the white back panel to gain access:
Start by removing the two tiny screws on the right-hand side, one between the ethernet adapter socket and the earplug socket and the other between the USB socket and the power socket.
The white back panel is just snap locked into place but is relatively easy to remove.
I started at a corner as they are not a perfect fit and there is a slight gap to be able to insert something and slide it all the way along one edge at a time until every connection snaps loose. I used my thumb nail but it's a bit sore now so next time I'll use something else like a credit card or a guitar pluck (if I had one).
Don't use a screwdriver as you might damage the plastic edges or worse, end up poking it inside and damaging the internals.
Be careful not to lose the two screws or the volume and camera buttons when taking it apart, and make sure the buttons are in place when putting it back together.

Refitting is simply a case of snapping it all back together and putting the screws back in and don't forget the buttons.

Sorry it's such a long post, just trying to share my experience.

Hope this helps.

#4 SjPedro

SjPedro

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:02 AM

maybe with that it's possible to increase the capacity of the wifi antenna
BETA TESTING: 20110211 ICS 1.2 ROM

#5 Carlose71

Carlose71

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:38 PM

March1 Hello, I have the same problem. My screen went completely black. I opened the tablet, according to your directions. I found two ribbons, one narrow and one wide. Both disconnected and reconnected, now the screen lights up .... but does not show anything, is blank.
What else I can do?
Thanks in advance
Carlos

I had to open up my ZeniThink ZT-280 C91 today as the screen had gone off but would flicker if I touched or tapped the rear of it.
After opening it, I found a loose ribbon cable, presumably the one from the screen.
It was seated at a slight angle to the connector on the board that it was plugged into and the connector was loose.
I've straightened the connecting ribbon and re-seated the connector to lock it in place.
The screen now works fine, just need to workout how to get the operating system back on it.

Start by removing the two tiny screws on the right-hand side, one between the ethernet adapter socket and the earplug socket and the other between the USB socket and the power socket.
The white back panel is just snap locked into place but is relatively easy to remove.
I started at a corner as they are not a perfect fit and there is a slight gap to be able to insert something and slide it all the way along one edge at a time until every connection snaps loose. I used my thumb nail but it's a bit sore now so next time I'll use something else like a credit card or a guitar pluck (if I had one).
Don't use a screwdriver as you might damage the plastic edges or worse, end up poking it inside and damaging the internals.
Be careful not to lose the two screws or the volume and camera buttons when taking it apart, and make sure the buttons are in place when putting it back together.

Refitting is simply a case of snapping it all back together and putting the screws back in and don't forget the buttons.

Hope this helps.

#6 Mach1

Mach1

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:21 PM

Hi Carlose71,
before you realised there was a problem with the screen, did you try different things like pressing the reset button, installing firmware etc.?
That's what I did, so when I got the screen working I found out that I had deleted the operating system.

When you switch it on, without pressing anything else, does it say to "press the camera button to update"?
If you wait a few more seconds, does it just go to a black background with a green android in the middle and doesn't move on to the little blue android on the skateboard with the swirly thing moving around it after about ten seconds?

If this is the case, then you will need to reinstall an operating system on it.

#7 F&LSuperstore

F&LSuperstore

Advanced Member

• Authorized Business Seller (ABS)
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:10 AM

March1 Hello, I have the same problem. My screen went completely black. I opened the tablet, according to your directions. I found two ribbons, one narrow and one wide. Both disconnected and reconnected, now the screen lights up .... but does not show anything, is blank.
What else I can do?
Thanks in advance
Carlos

The Narrow is for the touchscreen the wide is for the power and graphic delivery.
Posted Image
Frank, President
F&L Superstore - www.flsuperstore.com
email: frank@flsuperstore.com
blog: flsuperstore.wordpress.com
MSN: flsuperstore@gmail.com

#8 Carlose71

Carlose71

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:53 AM

Hi March1, when I turn it on only see a blank (white background) screen and nothing happens, it remain on. I will try to reinstall OS in blind way and see if this is the problem.

Carlos

Hi Carlose71,
before you realised there was a problem with the screen, did you try different things like pressing the reset button, installing firmware etc.?
That's what I did, so when I got the screen working I found out that I had deleted the operating system.

When you switch it on, without pressing anything else, does it say to "press the camera button to update"?
If you wait a few more seconds, does it just go to a black background with a green android in the middle and doesn't move on to the little blue android on the skateboard with the swirly thing moving around it after about ten seconds?

If this is the case, then you will need to reinstall an operating system on it.

#9 Mach1

Mach1

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:03 PM

Hi Carlos,
if you're only seeing a blank white screen, it suggests that the screen isn't working properly yet.
I wouldn't bother trying to reinstall when you can't see what it's doing or what it's asking you to do.
Concentrate on getting the screen working first, are you sure the ribbons were sat straight in the connectors before you put it back together?

#10 Dave J

Dave J

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:02 PM

I had to open mine because my new ZT-280 "ate" my memory card. Unfortunately it slid on top of the circuit board and I wasn't going to mess with that to get it back. Thanks for the info

Hope this helps.

ZT-280 C91, currently running official Zenithink 20111206 Gingerbread ROM

#11 amiryu

amiryu

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:00 PM

I had to open mine because my new ZT-280 "ate" my memory card. Unfortunately it slid on top of the circuit board and I wasn't going to mess with that to get it back. Thanks for the info

LOL The same thing happend to me the other day. I was really ticked off about it.

Here is what I did.

Hold down the power button and turn the pad off.
Unscrewed the two screws at the bottom of the pad.
Pry off the back white cover cover. Use some thing flat and made of plastic. Do not use a metal screw driver (it will leave a mark).

Now at this point I found out that my sd card was under the board. In all normal case I would unplug the battery before proceeding
unfortunately they soldered the battery on (a bit dicey to unscrew a powered board).

Anyway what i did was unscrew the screws on the board. Next I slowly lifted the side of the board where all the ports are located.
There seem to be some tape or adhesive glue between the board and the assembly so lift it slowly! do not pull the whole board out just lift it to about
an inch or so. Now stick a tooth pick or some thing similar ( plastic or wood not metal please!). into the microsd slot push the sd card to the left and it should slip into the usb port compartment. now use the toothpick to get it out from the usb port compartment.

Now slide the board back in screw it up and put everything back.

Im now extra careful when inserting my sd card. I make sure i feel the feedback spring before pushing it all the way in.
Dont wanna do that again. ;)

(Pity I didnt take any photos at that time. I was busy freaking out. lol)

#12 Fp5241

Fp5241

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:25 PM

Hello everybody!

My Micro SD got "eaten" the first day I got my ZT-280, I almost had a heart attack! :shok:
Thanks to the internet, I found my way to this thread and just wanted to say hi and thanks!
ZT-280 C91 running SJ's Custom ICS 1224 Beta ROM

#13 Sockslayer

Sockslayer

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:48 AM

Hello,

I had the same problem, my SD card is inside the tablet :(

I don't really care about the card and don't want to open up my ZT-280 if I don't have to, but does anyone know if I risk damaging my tablet by using it with the SD card still inside? I saw that amuryu mentioned it slid under the board so now I'm worried it might short circuit something if I turn it on without removing the card.

#14 jnamarak

jnamarak

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:46 PM

Hello,

I have received my tablet some days ago.

Does anybody have some pictures of inside the tablet ? in order to see how the RAM is configured : memory socket (so maybe upgradable) or just soldered (thus not upgradable) ...

--------
10" Zenithink-280 C91 (512MB+8GB) - ZT280_H1_2n_C91_Android2.3_1206_GO_V1.33
10" Zenithink-280 C91 (512MB+8GB) - ZT280_H1_2n_C91 Android 4.0 20120314 ROM 900MHz

#15 jaceq

jaceq

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:11 AM

Hello,

I have received my tablet some days ago.

Does anybody have some pictures of inside the tablet ? in order to see how the RAM is configured : memory socket (so maybe upgradable) or just soldered (thus not upgradable) ...

--------
10" Zenithink-280 C91 (512MB+8GB) - ZT280_H1_2n_C91_Android2.3_1206_GO_V1.33

Hi,
It's soldered, there are some pictures in thread about microphone and wifi antenna upgrade.

#16 cpt_noob

cpt_noob

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:41 PM

Like most of you, I've spent many hours setting up my tablet. I've tested every rom, and eventually settled on SjPedro's ICS mod, found here: http://www.slatedroi...1224-10-and-11/

last night when we were going to bed, i set the tablet on the blanket, which then slid off and landed on my foot. which is a shame, considering we have about 1 1/2 inches of padding and carpet, which would have been a much softer landing, and probably hurt less.

after my toe stopped throbbing, I decided to see what the damage was to the tablet, and just as I feared, the screen didnt have any power anymore. (it was solid black) Fortunately, I've been addicted to this forum since I bought the tablet, and knew that it was probably just a loose power cable. So this morning, i took it apart, found the power cable to the screen (there's 2 cables, the larger one is probably the data cable, and the smaller one is the power. so, I took everything apart, reseated all the cables, and taped it back down in place

Attached File  DSCF3090.JPG   2.97MB   408 downloads
Attached File  DSCF3092.JPG   3.23MB   358 downloads
Attached File  DSCF3093.JPG   2.65MB   249 downloads

Then, since the wifi signal strength is always very low for me (1 or 0 bars) I took the guys idea about soldering it to the copper tape (sorry, i forgot the guy's name) and decided to use a wire coat hanger instead. I took a knife, and took off the coating on the hanger, (not sure if it matters, but I assumed that it would work better) and taped the ends so that it wouldn't puncture anything. then i bent the wire so that it would wrap around the battery on 3 sides. (in the picture, i have it at the top of the tablet, which i had to move, because the speaker housing was getting in the way. so i ended up lowering the wire so that it's now right next to the battery. (sorry, i forgot to take a picture of that) after soldering it to the screw hole of the antenna, and taping it all back together, i now have full signal strength.

Attached File  DSCF3094.JPG   4.03MB   225 downloads
Attached File  DSCF3096.JPG   2.58MB   211 downloads

I then put the case back together, screwed in the two screws on the bottom, then realized i'm an idiot... I lost the camera button somehow. it pops out very easily, and i probably kicked it somewhere and now, after about an hour of searching for it, i gave up. Hopefully, I'll find the cat playing with it in a week or two, and can put it back.

But just incase I can't find it, is there anyway of finding replacement parts? I'm sure the button cant cost much, its just finding it that will be the problem.

Attached File  DSCF3101.JPG   3.12MB   208 downloads

long story short, the tablet is awesome, and with a few mods, it can be even better... but just don't be an idiot like me, and remove the buttons when you take out the screws to avoid being in the same situation i'm currently in. lol

------------
EDIT:
I used electrical tape to seal up the hole, and since i had it open again, I took another picture of the placement of the wire
Attached File  DSCF3102.JPG   3.28MB   228 downloads

Edited by cpt_noob, 23 January 2012 - 03:17 PM.

10" Zenithink-280 C91 (512MB+8GB) android2.3.4 20111206 - ZT280_H1_2n_C91_Android2.3_1206_GO_V1.33

HTC Sensation 2.3.4
Pandigital 2.2
HTC G1 1.6

#17 marque.l

marque.l

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:14 PM

This looks very good! I try this wifi mod myself.

#18 KernelKlink

KernelKlink

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:53 AM

Thanks for the info on opening the tablet guys. I'm going to mod the wifi antenna with the backplane idea. Let you know how I fare.
Cheers , Leon.

#19 patroclo

patroclo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:12 AM

I'd really like to clean (under) the capacitive screen on my C91

Hi Omarahum, do you have clean your screen? It's my problem too but i don't understand how to remove the dust.
Tnx.
ZT280-C91 H1_3n - ICS 20120211 with OK900

#20 omarahum

omarahum

• Global Moderators
  • 6,503 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:17 PM

Hi Omarahum, do you have clean your screen? It's my problem too but i don't understand how to remove the dust.
Tnx.

LOL, I did open the tablet once to add the grounding plane for the wireless antenna, and completely forgot about wanting to clean under the screen (haven't had my tablet outdoors in the sun for a while, where you actually notice it)....

If I do open it again to clean it, I think I wold probably use one of those air in a can things to lightly dust it off, I wouldn't want to get smudges or streaks on the underside.....

- {Oct. 2012}

btn_donate_SM.gif ॐ