[ROM] VEGAn-TAB GingerEdition 7.1.0, August 26 2011

• Please log in to reply
262 replies to this topic

#1 Digial

Digial

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:50 AM

I'm posting this as its been asked a few times in other forums, and its my current favorite rom.

VEGAn-TAB GingerEdition 7.1.0
Android v2.3.5
With hardware [graphics] acceleration
Wifi light working
Latest market 3.1.3
VTL.Launcher

ROM is somewhat based on the CyanogenMod rom (a good base to start from)

and more...

Homepage for the rom (built for another tablet) is here with full details:
http://vegantab.goji...rs-1-1-and-1-2/

Video review by lynxboy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCHa-0j503A

Posted Image

AS usual use at your own risk!

Instructions from Karl0ss, worked well for me, obviously you need root and CWM already installed

ROM from the developer: http://vegantab.goji...ixed_assert.zip
ab_kernel4alpha6: https://www.dropbox....rnel4alpha6.zip

-----------
Update - 9th November 2011 - kernelo3nc
kernelo3nc kernal is a newer and better kernal which no one has reported any problems with
Full details on this post:
http://www.slatedroi...fards-and-ab73/
Install instead of ab_kernel4alpha6.zip
-------------

Get both zip files transferred to your tablet
Boot into CWM..
Run a data wipe (factory restore)
Clear Cache
install update from zip -> select zip from sd
navigate to VEGAn-GE-7.1.0-smb_a1002-BL-1.2-fixed_assert.zip file on sd and flash it
then do the same, selecting ab_kernel4alpha6.zip, this will flash the new kernel.
then reboot the tablet.

Notes
i have no links to the development of this rom at all

this was released August 26, 2011 with no news thereafter, see forum topic here about that:
http://www.slatedroi...22833-vegantab/

Have problems waking from sleep: hold down volume + button before the power button - this has always worked for me (also works on other roms)

Edited by Digial, 25 November 2011 - 02:22 PM.

• kroguz, Alexander Ryzhov and parkerbird like this

#2 chrisd1a1

chrisd1a1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationLeeds UK

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:12 AM

glad you added this one in it's own thread, it's a good build and with AB's kernel works well

i still havent decided if hardware accel. works tho!!! keep swapping back to hanstitan to compare:

regards

Chris
Posted Image

HTC Sensation XE

Momo 8 IPS

Device history

Eken A90 tablet

HANNSPADD tetra 2 tablet: running chrisd1a1 Gingerpad

HTC HD2 - droid - various

win mo (retired)

chrisd1a1 sense HYBRID

chrisd1a1 DROIDHYBRID
XDA IGNITO - chrisd1a1 sense rom
XDA Mini s stock O2UK WM5 rom
XDA Argon stock O2UK WM5 rom
XDA orbit2 various roms

chrisd1a1 facebook

chrisd1a1 google +

https://www.paypal.c...:NonHostedGuest '>feel free to buy me a beer

#3 Karl0ss

Karl0ss

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:32 AM

I love and use this rom on a daily basis.
Nexus 7 16gb & 32gb | Running too many rom's to list |
PiPo Smart S1 | Latest Stock | 4.1.1 |
Hannspree Hannspad | DRHJB with AntibytesKernel @ 1.5ghz |
Q88 Cortex A8 7" x4 | ICS |
Some random 7" Telechips tab that I can't work out what it is? help |

Motorola Atrix | Unlocked BL | OC Kernel - 1.45ghz | CM7 |
LG Optimus Black | OC Kernel 1.2ghz | Stock 2.2.2 |
Sony Ericsson X10 Mini | OC Kernel | MiniCM10 4.1.2 |
T-Mobile Pulse Mini | OC Kernel | 2.3 |

Android CX-01 TV Stick | Custom Rom |

Creator of ZT-180.tk
Creator of KMOD.VTL

#4 itanium21

itanium21

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:37 AM

Hmm, HW decoding still can't be chosen when playing a videos.
And still can't watch 720p videos :/ But on 1400mhz it plays them better than on flashback, though still unwatchable.

#5 need my tablets

need my tablets

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Locationnear the floor

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:49 PM

i tryed this a while back
1st the boot screen says 7.0.0
2nd dead space only runs in portrait
3rd got ramdom booting problems ( stuck on hanspad logo)
but saying that it is a very good rom thats boots under 30 secs and is fast all round and the battery life is good
how can i completely wipe the hole internal hd so i can put it on from scratch ? ( all the space to use and nothing else)
if i did this would it be any better ?
-------- Hannpree hannspad SN10T 130R 1653 running TeamDRH-ICS-Beta-1.2 with v12 Antibyte (looking forward to non beta ) -------

#6 Ash 306

Ash 306

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationShropshire, UK

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:45 PM

Looks good this rom. Need more people to test though. I will install this when I get chance and compare with hannstitan.

Edited by Ash 306, 03 October 2011 - 06:45 PM.

#7 freeman_g

freeman_g

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:38 AM

I have been using this ROM for several days. It is quite stable and fast but I prefer to change the launcher from VTL to Zeam (It seems to me that VTL is slow a bit). Market is working without any fixes (and can find much more application than HannsTitan). Other good thing is CGM setting (you can change much more options).

One of minuses - unstandard keyboard mod, I want to return an original android keyboard but can't find how to do that.

#8 Digial

Digial

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:48 AM

but saying that it is a very good rom thats boots under 30 secs and is fast all round and the battery life is good
how can i completely wipe the hole internal hd so i can put it on from scratch ? ( all the space to use and nothing else)

Not sure about wiping the whole disk - i think doing the data wipe is the only thing requied and recommended.

Yes the boot anim isnt the best i've seen and having the incorrect version is poor. if you want to change it i see there is a bootanimation.zip inside system\media in the rom zip file - so i guess you can modify this - warning though i have never done this!??

I have never had any problems with this rom - and therefore from my experiance (~2 weeks worth) its very stable.

#9 stu83

stu83

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationNorthampton, England

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:17 AM

My rom of choice. Even got used to the keyboard. It makes sense when two-thumbed typing whilst holding in landscape.
Hannspree Hannspad 1653 / VEGAn-GE-7.1.0-smb_a1002-BL-1.2-fixed_assert.zip - Post #7

#10 Digial

Digial

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:27 AM

my thumbs aren't that long to be able to do that :)

but yeah after a while you get used to it - plus having the numbers in the middle is handy.

Shame swiftkey doesnt work; with swiftkey-x it says not allowed on tablets when loading it up, and cant install swiftkey-x tablet as android market says my device is incompatible :(

#11 need my tablets

need my tablets

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Locationnear the floor

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:01 PM

Not sure about wiping the whole disk - i think doing the data wipe is the only thing requied and recommended.

Yes the boot anim isnt the best i've seen and having the incorrect version is poor. if you want to change it i see there is a bootanimation.zip inside system\media in the rom zip file - so i guess you can modify this - warning though i have never done this!??

I have never had any problems with this rom - and therefore from my experiance (~2 weeks worth) its very stable.

when I do the wipe this way I have no problems installing but there's always stuff left on the pad ie not an empty SD HD
-------- Hannpree hannspad SN10T 130R 1653 running TeamDRH-ICS-Beta-1.2 with v12 Antibyte (looking forward to non beta ) -------

#12 Digial

Digial

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:55 PM

yep - just like your desktop OS i guess, there are some 'special' important folders used by the rom but not the others.

#13 TaoJay

TaoJay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:24 AM

Moved over to this from CM 8.1 and it definitely feels much smoother, CM 8.1 got more sluggish as I loaded more apps on.

I use VT Launcher for a while, but revert to Home Launcher for the sake of simplicity.

Quick question, I Wiped, Flashed the VeganTab rom and then ab_kernel4alpha6.zip but I do not seem to have any Over clocking ability!! Any Ideas??

#14 walkerx

walkerx

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:17 PM

i used it and removed it - after a week it trashed my hannspad and i had to do a recover to stock rom before i could get anything working again - when it did work though it was brilliant but it had no HA for videos
Hannspree Hannspad SN10T130R1633 - HannsTitan v0.2d
LG Optimus 2x (sim-free in box)
Iphone 4 16GB

#15 Digial

Digial

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:53 PM

Quick question, I Wiped, Flashed the VeganTab rom and then ab_kernel4alpha6.zip but I do not seem to have any Over clocking ability!! Any Ideas??

i have 'set max CPU frequency' setting which goes from 216 MHz to 1400 MHz, under: settings -> VEGAn-TAB settings -> Performance -> CPU Settings, is this is the overclock ability?

#16 lynxboy

lynxboy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:02 AM

i have 'set max CPU frequency' setting which goes from 216 MHz to 1400 MHz, under: settings -> VEGAn-TAB settings -> Performance -> CPU Settings, is this is the overclock ability?

Decided to try this ROM after hearing such good things over in the Gtab forums and I have to say I am thoroughly impressed. Having built CM7 ROMs in the past for various handsets it's nice to regain that familiar feeling! No issues over my day of testing and it's great to have something so responsive after having the odd frustrating lock up on the current Honeycomb ROMs.

Anyway, in regards to Overclocking, the method you have stated above works fine, and you can also use SetCpu to have a bit more control in the way of setting up profiles etc.

Regards.

#17 lynxboy

lynxboy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:10 AM

You cannot format the NAND memory using CWM and this is to protect against causing problems as you would never be required to do this. You will find that after a full wipe you can reboot back into your current OS, albeit with none of your data. When flashing a new ROM you are generally just overwriting the system partition and replacing the boot.img (kernel). It is essential to wipe Data, Cache and Dalvik Cache before any new install as this is where any erroneous data and links to previous (non existent) system files will be held. This is what can cause the majority of problems when upgrading ROMs.

Regards.

#18 TaoJay

TaoJay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:29 AM

Hi Digital, thanks for the info, I hadn't noticed those settings. Quadrant Score 3121 :)

#19 TaoJay

TaoJay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:35 AM

You cannot format the NAND memory using CWM and this is to protect against causing problems as you would never be required to do this. You will find that after a full wipe you can reboot back into your current OS, albeit with none of your data. When flashing a new ROM you are generally just overwriting the system partition and replacing the boot.img (kernel). It is essential to wipe Data, Cache and Dalvik Cache before any new install as this is where any erroneous data and links to previous (non existent) system files will be held. This is what can cause the majority of problems when upgrading ROMs.

Regards.

Hi Lynnxboy,

Quick question for you.

I have installed quite a few roms (will stick with the vegan tab tho). I have always factory reset & wiped before installing a ROM, I have noticed a few mentions of Dalvik but do not know what that is (I'm a massive Android newbie), where is this dalvik cache??

#20 lynxboy

lynxboy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:01 AM

Hi Lynnxboy,

Quick question for you.

I have installed quite a few roms (will stick with the vegan tab tho). I have always factory reset & wiped before installing a ROM, I have noticed a few mentions of Dalvik but do not know what that is (I'm a massive Android newbie), where is this dalvik cache??

In CWM you need to look in the ADVANCED section of the recovery.

Regards.