Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:38 PM

Wopad i8 - First Review - Merimobiles.com - 8" 4:3 1024x768 - Android Tablet
by: MrTasselhof

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk19fC74S_U
WANT 500MB of FREE Mobile MiFi Wireless HotSpot Internet access for your tablet every month?
- Referral Link: Check Out FreedomPop

- Upfront Notes:
- Requires $100 security deposit for the mobile device plus shipping.
- Security deposit is fully refundable within the first year.
- After 1 year the security deposit is non-refundable and you now own the mobile device.
- By using this referral link above it increases my data limit by 50mb (similar to the DropBox referrals)

LINE: MrTasselhof (Live Chat)
Twitter: MrTasselhof
YouTube Tablet Reviews Channel: http://www.youtube.c...of?feature=mhum

All Tablets have been Provided for Review by: Merimobiles.com - HUGE THANK YOU!
- All names below are linked to their respective product page

**Latest Tablets**
Onda V812 - 8" IPS 4:3 Capacitive 5-Point Multi-Touch - 1024x768 - w/ Quad Core CPU & 2GB RAM
Chuwi V99 - 9.7" RETINA IPS 4:3 Capacitive 5-Point Multi-Touch - w/ Bluetooth - 2048x1536 (Needs Firmware Updating and Stability)

**Current Favorite Tablets & Devices**
Onda V812 - 8" IPS 4:3 Capacitive 5-Point Multi-Touch - 1024x768 - w/ Quad Core CPU & 2GB RAM
Window N90 Dual Core II - 9.7" IPS 4:3 Capacitive 5-Point Multi-Touch - w/ Bluetooth - 1024x768
Ainol Novo 7 Aurora - 7" IPS 16:9 Capacitive 5-Point Multi-Touch - 1024x600
HP TouchPad - 9.7" Capacitive 5-Point Multi-Touch - WebOS & Android - Dual-Boot (Use WebOS side)
Samsung Epic 4G Touch (Galaxy SII) - Running Blazer ROM

**Additional Recommended Tablets**
Gemei G9T Dual Core - 9.7" IPS 4:3 Capacitive 5-Point Multi-Touch - 1024x768
Gemei G9 - 9.7" IPS 4:3 Capacitive 10-Point Multi-Touch - 1024x768
Window N70 - 7" IPS 16:9 Capacitive 5-Point Multi-Touch - w/ WCDMA & Bluetooth - 1024x600
Chuwi V99 - 9.7" RETINA IPS 4:3 Capacitive 5-Point Multi-Touch - w/ Bluetooth - 2048x1536 (Needs Firmware Updating and Stability)

**Other Tablets Owned**
MID V7 - 7" 16:9 Resistive Single Touch
M701R - 7" 16:9 Resistive 2-Point Multi-Touch
C8 - 7" 16:9 Capacitive 2-Point Multi-Touch
C9 - 7" 16:9 Capacitive 2-Point Multi-Touch
Ramos W6HD - 7" 16:9 Capacitive 2-Point Multi-Touch - 1024x600
M6 - 7" 16:9 Capacitive 5-Point Multi-Touch
Wopad i7 - 7" 16:9 Capacitive 5-Point Multi-Touch
Ainol Novo 7 Advanced - 7" 16:9 Capacitive 5-Point Multi-Touch
Ainol Novo 7 Advanced II - 7" 16:9 Capacitive 5-Point Multi-Touch
MID V8 - 8" 4:3 Resistive Single Touch
MID816 - 8" 4:3 Resistive Single Touch
MID816R2 - 8" 4:3 Capacitive 2-Point Multi-Touch
T9 - 8" 4:3 Capacitive 5-Point Multi-Touch
Wopad i8 - 8" 4:3 Capacitive 5-Point Multi-Touch - 1024x768
Teclast P85 - 8" 4:3 Capacitive 5-Point Multi-Touch - 1024x768
Teclast A15 - 9" IPS 16:9 Capacitive 5-Point Multi-Touch - 1280x800
FlyTouch 3 - 10.1" 16:9 Resistive Single Touch

#2 WAI

WAI

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:29 PM

nice video!

(You plan on doing a Video on the Ainol Novo7?)

#3 kisamesama

kisamesama

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:52 AM

cool! was waiting for the review. Will watch it when i get home. How's gaming performance and browsing performance as compared to the other RK9218 tabs?

#4 recurve99

recurve99

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:20 AM

I bought one a few weeks back and I am curious if you have seen some of the same things:

-Battery says 87% at full charge. I have had this a month and it has not changed a bit.
-Battery time seems pretty short - I can kill it just reading news at night for an hour or two
-Not able to add contacts (that is after I installed a contact app - none was included)
-Wireless seems weak/unreliable. Even using Wifi Analyzer I see the signal from the AP in the same room as me dropping all the time (AP is fine)
-Your review had a different splash graphic at the beginning - did you make a custom firmware because ours do not match. Mine FW version shows as: TR810_(810H_WM8988_GT801_AR6302_A28_UTC002_CAT6611@110729)_(C_M_ZH@110729_V1.28.13_06_JWC

Lastly - has anyone made progress on rooting this beast? I would love to be able to re-install Droidwall, Titanium, and a couple other "essentials". (spoiled from my old gTablet). I have played a bit with Z4 and a few others, but sadly my rooting experience on both my WPDN and gTab was limited to flashing a custom ROM.

Overall I must say it is a very nice tablet. I love the size compared to my gTablet and it is more than zippy enough for what I do (mostly read RSS news feeds and light surfing)

#5 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:19 AM

I bought one a few weeks back and I am curious if you have seen some of the same things:

-Battery says 87% at full charge. I have had this a month and it has not changed a bit.
-Battery time seems pretty short - I can kill it just reading news at night for an hour or two
-Not able to add contacts (that is after I installed a contact app - none was included)
-Wireless seems weak/unreliable. Even using Wifi Analyzer I see the signal from the AP in the same room as me dropping all the time (AP is fine)
-Your review had a different splash graphic at the beginning - did you make a custom firmware because ours do not match. Mine FW version shows as: TR810_(810H_WM8988_GT801_AR6302_A28_UTC002_CAT6611@110729)_(C_M_ZH@110729_V1.28.13_06_JWC

Lastly - has anyone made progress on rooting this beast? I would love to be able to re-install Droidwall, Titanium, and a couple other "essentials". (spoiled from my old gTablet). I have played a bit with Z4 and a few others, but sadly my rooting experience on both my WPDN and gTab was limited to flashing a custom ROM.

Overall I must say it is a very nice tablet. I love the size compared to my gTablet and it is more than zippy enough for what I do (mostly read RSS news feeds and light surfing)

A tiny battery was what turned me off from selling it. Build quality was also a concern, what are your impressions if you don't mind sharing? Poor wifi is a bit surprising.

If it is anything like most other RK2918 devices, rooting probably has to be done in the firmware itself before flash. If you have firmware for the device, there is a tools package for download in the i7 (wopad 2) forum that should work for its firmware.

Anyhow, I ended up going the route of the more expensive Meiying Phantom M11, yes the screen resolution is lower but everything else about the device sounds superior, especially battery life. Mine lasts all day easily and could sleep for a day or two or perhaps three without issue. Stability has also been rock solid and build quality is phenomenal.

Cheers,

Roman

Sent from my Meiying Phantom M11

Edit - just for reference, with WiFi ON I can get 10 hours of reading using Nook App at medium brightness on the M11. I use an app called "Elixir 2" to measure.

Edit 2 - Just watched the video. Great job! The screen does look nice and the device looks very sharp all around. It still makes me wonder how build quality compares though. The build quality looks better than the WoPad i7 though, which is encouraging. The i7 has "okay" build quality but it is far from great. Cheers!

Edited by Roman2025, 02 October 2011 - 10:39 AM.

www. Rockchip Firmware.com - Firmware Development Tutorials and Image Repository for all things Rockchip! - "Dedicated to getting new devs started and to helping end-users get the firmware and tools they need to manage their Rockchip based devices!"

www. Top Notch Tablets .com - U.S. Based Android Tablet Reseller - "We like to think we are really good at what we do; so far our customers, and the larger android community, have reinforced this belief. Thanks!"

People have asked (thank you btw) so here it is... If you would like to monetarily say thanks and continue supporting me in my firmware development efforts, you can donate by clicking here: Posted ImageTO MY FIRMWARE DEVELOPMENT FUND

"Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value."
-Ayn Rand

#6 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 11:38 AM

@recurve99
#1 you likely have a bad battery. You should contact seller about return and fix or replace. On my i7, battery charges to around 99% and lasts for 4.5 to 6 hours of use. 1 to 2 hours sounds little short. I believe you should get 3 to 4 hours minimum usage.

Pretty sure that tablet uses 7.4V. So, that means 2 X (3.7V) 2000 mAh battery packs connected in series. Likely one or both of the packs are faulty which is causing a lower charge. Use Elixir 2 to measure your battery charge & tablet use to be sure first.

#2 WiFi was dropping on my i7 too but the problem was neighbor with super strong WiFi signal. I boosted WiFi power in router and switched to different channel from 6. I use WiFi G and now get 24-54 Mb/s connect rates. On ch6 it was struggling to get 1 Mb/s because some idiot in my area has his WiFi turned up very high. His WiFi signal is stronger than mine even when I stand 2 feet from my router. Also, try G & N to see which works better for you.

WiFi Analyzer will show who has the strongest signal & what channel they are using.
https://market.andro...e=search_result

*MINIX NEO X5 (RK3066) - OK. Not fun because uses mouse cursor.
*YUANDAO N80 DUAL (RK3066) - Very good
*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#7 recurve99

recurve99

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:55 AM

It may be a bad battery. I was using the original Elixir but uninstalled it so see if it was draining the battery. I installed E2 and all I can really see is that my battery voltage is 4 mv (no other useful stats). I put the original Elixir back on and it shows the same. Even played around with a couple other apps from the market but none can really pull any additional info. Does the 4mv point to a bad battery? Anybody else with an I8 know what theirs reads?

I did pull a bunch of apps off and put on the Adv App killer from ReChild (my fave) and I think that both of those have helped the battery to be more where I would expect - but maybe I expect too little?

Nick - thanks for the wireless tip. I have a wireless router for internet access (life in the country) so I use 2 other DDWRT routers to extent that through the house. When I had troubles initially I boosted the signal strength - maybe I should have dropped it.

I see MeriMobiles has an update now but no flash instructions. Anyone have a clue how to do it? I have nothing but failure trying from Windows 7 x86. I can get the flash tool to see the device (thanks Roman for the drivers!) but it errors when I try to backup/write/do anything. I am wondering f it is just a bad image as the tools Roman and Wendal posted do not work on it as well. Was going to try the whole process with my old laptop that has XP but just have not had the time.

#8 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:47 PM

I have the i7 but will give my info.

Using Elixir 2.
Under battery information:
Level: 100 (ie, 100% battery level) - what you should get after full charge
Health: good (current battery health) - condition of battery
Voltage: 4mV

You need to check these plus the 2 uptime stats to see what is going on.

Check uptime & real uptime (which includes sleep) from E2 to measure how well your battery is performing. Reboot tablet to reset the counters back to 0. ie, shutdown, charge overnight, fresh boot & then track your uptime stats.

PS, Someone else seemed to have a different issue with the i8.
http://www.wopadusa....usable-thread4/

Maybe bad build quality, design flaw (drains battery), software issue or bought a clone. Hard to tell you which of these you have but a ROM upgrade may help out. A hardware design flaw can sometimes be worked around with a software fix too.

*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#9 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:12 PM

For WiFi. Could be the tablet is getting confused with multiple WiFi signals in your house. You should shut off the other two routers and try using your main router only. Fool around with the main router only to see what happens.

Try setting to strongest signal, WiFi G & different channels like 1, 3, 9 & 10. See what happens then. Use WiFi Analyzer (from Market) to see what is going on.

For me, I set mine to ch1, WiFi G & upped the transmit power in my router. I get mostly around -52 to -56 dBm signal strength which is somewhere around good to very good.

#10 Mr Dasher

Mr Dasher

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:48 PM

I just received my Wopad I8 and here is my quick review. To quality my review I own a number of tablets - 1) Gtab 2) Asus Transformer 3) Kinpad 4) HTC Sensation - cellphone. It's amazing what you can quality as a business expense. :0) I had a credit with Merimobiles and decided that I use it before it turned to dust. Needless to say Merimobiles was a pleasure to order from.

Pro -

1) The build quality is solid. It's bit heavier than you would think which might be due to the metal back and glass covered screen. I think that the metal back is a bit of overkill. I would take nice plastic if it meant it would be lighter.

2) Screen is bright and responsive. I like having the higher resolution.

3) Battery appears to last a while though I haven't done a stress test. I usually plug in my tables at night.

4) Flash video plays well in the web browser. The other video files I've tried work without issue.

7) I do like the 8" screen size - though i prefer the 7" when I travel.

Cons -

1) The wifi is horrible. I mean really bad. Even my misfit Kinpad has better reception than the I8. All my other tablets work well but the I8 has issues with constantly dropping the signal. Could this be because of the metal back? I'm waiting for some brave soul to open their tablet so I can see if it's work moving the antenna around.

2) I think the tablet has os issues. The browser constantly has force closures. I haven't added any software accept wifi analyzer and Android SI so the problem has to be in the original software.

3) My tablet came in a mislabelled box "iRobot" tablet box with no instructions. I have no idea how to flash a rom date if there was one.

4) The hardware switches don't control the volume so you have to navigate to appropriate icon. For convenience I control volume with my headphone volume control.

5) The CPU is suppose to be set at 1.2 ghz but Android SI tells me that it's actually clocked at 1 ghz. I read about other Rockchip tables having the same issue with underclocked CPU's. Due to the lack of developer support I can't see being able to overclock the CPU through software.

6) Lack of accessories. Having a soft case similar to the IPad would be great.

In the end, the one thing I've learnt from owning a number of tablets is that it's worth the extra money to buy a name brand. My Asus Transformer has support from Asus, a huge developers forum and there are plenty of accessories to pick from. Were as with the Wopad I8 ( and my Kinpad ) I'm left having to do detective work to find support. Really - I have no idea who really makes the tablet and if they'll even bother trying to fix the problems or provide updates. Because of the poor wifi the I8 has become basically an ereader.

Hope this helps,

Mr D.

Edited by Mr Dasher, 09 October 2011 - 12:58 PM.

#11 recurve99

recurve99

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:43 PM

Well, I was able to root my i8 thanks to Roman. I just downloaded the update form Merimobiles and used Roman's package/innstructions for the i7 (including his RK29update.exe).

What was wierd is that the RK29update that came in the package from Merimobiles would not work - go figure.

My battery shows 100% now so I am hoping that my other issues settle down now as well.

QUICK UPDATE:

The new firmware has worked wonders. The battery is more where I would expect, wireless was rock solid, I didn't have the pauses that I used to have, etc...

I highly recommend updating if you are having issues.

Does anybody want me to do a more detailed writeup on how I rooted it? Roman already did most of the work so I'm not sure it is needed....

Edited by recurve99, 11 October 2011 - 10:08 AM.

#12 fings1

fings1

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:56 PM

recurve99...I would love to get more details on how you upgraded the device.

My wifi is a bit wonky so I'd like to upgrade it. Mine is the same version as yours was.

Thanks!
fings

#13 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:21 AM

recurve99...I would love to get more details on how you upgraded the device.

Looks like good idea to firmware upgrade the i8 since that improved battery life and WiFi connection.

#1 Download new firmware from Merimobiles for i8.
http://www.merimobil...loads_s/393.htm

#2 Then use the firmware tools for the i7 that Roman put together to flash the i8. Read included instructions.
http://topnotchtable...opadi7-Firmware

#14 zdr2k

zdr2k

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:43 AM

Well, I was able to root my i8 thanks to Roman. I just downloaded the update form Merimobiles and used Roman's package/innstructions for the i7 (including his RK29update.exe).

What was wierd is that the RK29update that came in the package from Merimobiles would not work - go figure.

My battery shows 100% now so I am hoping that my other issues settle down now as well.

QUICK UPDATE:

The new firmware has worked wonders. The battery is more where I would expect, wireless was rock solid, I didn't have the pauses that I used to have, etc...

I highly recommend updating if you are having issues.

Does anybody want me to do a more detailed writeup on how I rooted it? Roman already did most of the work so I'm not sure it is needed....

I would like more details on how you did it.

thanks

**edit**

Was able to update. I am now looking to root.....any ideas??

thanks in advance

jorge

Edited by zdr2k, 17 October 2011 - 08:36 PM.

#15 fings1

fings1

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 04:48 PM

I got it to update as well.

I did it on Win 7 machine. I copied the files Nickos-V referenced to my D: drive and installed from there. It didn't work when it was in a directory off of my Downloads directory.

The key is to use Roman's RK29update.exe file, not the one that is from the merimobiles site.

Thanks all.

#16 spymare

spymare

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 05:25 AM

I have just ordered this tablet :)

Can i expect a nice smooth tablet, with a very clear good looking screen, and good for games too :)?
How is the overall experience with this tablet?

#17 Mr Dasher

Mr Dasher

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:17 PM

I have just ordered this tablet :)

Can i expect a nice smooth tablet, with a very clear good looking screen, and good for games too :)?
How is the overall experience with this tablet?

I've had the tablet for a couple of weeks and even with a ROM update the overall experience has been very disappointing. The biggest issue is the poor wifi. Not only in range but in performance. It drops out for no apparent reason and stops functioning forcing me to reboot.

The ROM appears to be incomplete with many hidden bugs.

D

#18 Vinxp

Vinxp

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 04:13 AM

I have 2 Rockchip 2918 tablets:- Wopad I7 (800x480 16:9 screen) and Cube U9GT (800x600 4:3 screen), Rockchip chips works fine enough for me. Wopad I8 is one on my wish list (just loved its designed).

#19 Mr Dasher

Mr Dasher

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 04:01 PM

I've had the tablet for a couple of weeks and even with a ROM update the overall experience has been very disappointing. The biggest issue is the poor wifi. Not only in range but in performance. It drops out for no apparent reason and stops functioning forcing me to reboot.

The ROM appears to be incomplete with many hidden bugs.

D

Also many sites list the tablet as being 1.2Ghz (Merimobiles lists it as 1.2Ghz) but in fact it is only run at 1Ghz. I believe this to be fraudulent.

#20 Sharai

Sharai

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:51 AM

Hey i'm new here and the wopad i8 is my very first tablet. I bought it after the review video (which also lead me here) from http://www.merimobiles.com/
Living in Denmark made it pretty hard to find a store that would ship it to me at all. I usually try to order as much as possible from amazon because of the good experience I always have with them.
Anyways i took them 8 days after my order to give it over to the DHL guys to deliver it to me. Then it took just 4 more days to get to me (payed for express after all). Might have been out of stock, i don't know.
When it finally arrived it came in a Irobot box with no manual what so ever. Since i have android on my phone that didn't really matter to much but a manual is always nice. When i turned it on, it was in chinese and it took me some time to find my way to the language settings.
The first thing i noticed was that while it is charging there is some weird flickering on the screen if i press on the corners and i was wondering if that is normal?
Another problem is that it does not seem possible to charge it via usb? When i plugged it in i only got the option to turn file storage on or off but nothing about charging, like i'm used to on my phone. From the reviews i saw before buying it i took it, that it is possible to charge via usb which was one of the reasons to buy it despite the low battery life. So is it not possible to charge it via usb, am i doing something wrong, or is my device faulty?