Photo

What are you top 7 apps on your G-tablet???

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 TheArtfulPenguin

TheArtfulPenguin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:37 PM

I was trying to find a news app since all the ones I have found seem rather lame. So was going to just ask that but then I figured it would be better to ask in general what are the 7 best apps that you have on your G Tablet, not just the news apps. Seeing if I can find some gems of an app that I haven't stumbled over yet.

So they are........????????

#2 FunkyFlyChicken

FunkyFlyChicken

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 03:18 PM

I guess I'm one of the rare people that uses my G-Tablet in place of their home PC. I have productivity apps, media, and lots of games. I've got over 70 apps installed, and I use a lot of them regularly. I'll list my most used though, not sure if I'd call it my "top 7" for sure, but these are certainly in heavy use.

1) Dolphin Browser HD (Although I do use Opera on occasion, I always go back to Dolphin)

2) PocketMoney (great checkbook/budget app on iOS, Android version is catching up)

3) Rockplayer (Since I use Flashback 8.1, This runs all my videos in Software mode without a hitch)

4) Dungeon Defenders (still lags on higher difficulties/larger levels sometimes, but I love this game)

5) Appy Geek (Tech News)

6) Reckless Getaway (awesome game, I like it better than Reckless Racing)

7) Perfect Viewer (Comic book viewer)

My main go-to games are Reckless Getaway, Asphalt 6 (Acer Iconia Tab a500 version), Dungeon Defenders, and Sprinkle. I also use MixZing for music playing, or TuneIn Radio Pro if I want to have some radio streaming. Also have some cookbook apps that are quite handy, "Jamie Oliver's 20 minute meals" and "What's for Dinner"

If I had to pick the most useful apps I've come across, however, it would be these two:
Application Folder Pro (put all of your app icons into folders on your home screens, it's GREAT for organizing a lot of apps)
Toggle StatusBar (http://www.appbrain....togglestatusbar)

Also, if you are looking for games, I have a list of compatible games that I currently have running on my G-Tablet, broken down by genre:
http://www.slatedroi...972#entry244972

Edited by FunkyFlyChicken, 29 September 2011 - 03:20 PM.

TOP 3 GAMES I'M PLAYING: JELLY DEFENSE, SPRINKLE, RECKLESS GETAWAY
LATEST GAMES ADDED TO MY G-TABLET: MADDEN 2012, JELLY DEFENSE

#3 shackf16

shackf16

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 04:53 PM

Most of these are free, but not all.
1. Nook app for reading, and with the Night setting (black page and white letter) I have no issues with the poor viewing angles.
2. Netflix
3. RockPlayer Lite for all video needs.
4. Documents to Go (I have the full version - does great with MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
5. Thumb Keyboard (Paid app from Market - great keyboard with multiple layouts)
6. Multipicture Wallpaper - using Honeycomb ROM I can set different pictures to each "homepage", includes settings for changing the images within your gallery.
7. You Version Bible App - several translations available to download to the device so you don't have to be connected via WIFI.

Other pretty much mandatory apps include: Titanium Backup, AdFree, Dropbox, ES File Explorer, and some type of AntiVirus (Lookout Mobile Security is a good one). For non-Honeycomb ROMs, I highly recommend the VTL Launcher. Not a big gamer so no good recommendations there.

I run Flashback Honeycomb and all of the above work great.

Next?

#4 f'n around

f'n around

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:21 PM

Not sure what happened to my post, so I'll try again.

These are not in any special order

1. Multipicture Live Wallpaper- allows me to have each homescreen as a different picture and I have it set to change or cycle to new pics every 2 min.

2. Documents to Go- Paid version. works great for when I am out of the office

3. ES File Explorer- Just started using this to make .apk's to save on my microSD or PC of all apps I have downloaded. No more trying to find them on the market once I download them once.

4. GTunes Music- Free music

5. LogMeIn Ignition- Works great as a remote desktop. I don't bring my work laptop with me home anymore. I just log in remotely and it is as if I am sitting at my desk, fun way to run windows from your G-tab. Also use this to check on what my boy is up to on his computer from time to time. Even used it to logon to my wife's computer to fix it while I was away.

6. Any simple game that can keep the kids occupied.

7. Dolphin HD- I like the full screen option

I run Flashback and all of these work just fine. I don't use my PC much anymore as I pretty much got this thing tuned to the way I need it. My last project is to get a dock and try to use this as a multimedia center by hooking it up to my TV and Stereo. I think it would be pretty trick to use it to watch movies and play music while scrolling through pictures.

James

#5 FunkyFlyChicken

FunkyFlyChicken

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:53 PM

I run Flashback and all of these work just fine. I don't use my PC much anymore as I pretty much got this thing tuned to the way I need it. My last project is to get a dock and try to use this as a multimedia center by hooking it up to my TV and Stereo. I think it would be pretty trick to use it to watch movies and play music while scrolling through pictures.

James

I have the Zpad Dock, and it works great (Especially since my AC port is wonky on the tablet now, and doesn't charge all the time that way. Dock charges it perfectly). The only issue I have, is my cheap Dynex 21" HDTV doesn't get any audio when connected to the dock via HDMI. But my Vizio 36" TV works just fine, audio and video. Seemed like I had just a very slight slowdown when I ran Reckless Getaway while connected via HDMI, but it didn't deter from the gameplay. Music and Video playback have been just fine (Using Flashback 8.1 and using RockPlayer Lite for my movies). I ordered my dock from merrimobiles. Took a little while to get it, but I've been very happy with it.

#6 TheArtfulPenguin

TheArtfulPenguin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:25 PM

Thanks for all the great responses. I am using a number of them already and found some other good recommendations.

I was pleasantly surprised no one mentioned Angry Birds.:)

#7 FunkyFlyChicken

FunkyFlyChicken

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:02 AM

Thanks for all the great responses. I am using a number of them already and found some other good recommendations.

I was pleasantly surprised no one mentioned Angry Birds.:)

I think everyone, even my wife, is over the Angry Birds phenomenon...lol. I wish I could recommend Bouncy Mouse or Bunny Shooter Free Game, as I think those are much better than Angry Birds, but both of those have issues with our tablet at the moment. Sprinkle is a good one, if anyone would like a good physics puzzler (it's timed, and you have limited water to douse the fires with, so it adds a lot more challenge).

#8 imdaman99

imdaman99

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:34 AM

Not sure what happened to my post, so I'll try again.

These are not in any special order

1. Multipicture Live Wallpaper- allows me to have each homescreen as a different picture and I have it set to change or cycle to new pics every 2 min.

2. Documents to Go- Paid version. works great for when I am out of the office

3. ES File Explorer- Just started using this to make .apk's to save on my microSD or PC of all apps I have downloaded. No more trying to find them on the market once I download them once.

4. GTunes Music- Free music

5. LogMeIn Ignition- Works great as a remote desktop. I don't bring my work laptop with me home anymore. I just log in remotely and it is as if I am sitting at my desk, fun way to run windows from your G-tab. Also use this to check on what my boy is up to on his computer from time to time. Even used it to logon to my wife's computer to fix it while I was away.

6. Any simple game that can keep the kids occupied.

7. Dolphin HD- I like the full screen option

James

You have been extremely helpful with your answer, but any idea if Splashtop Remote Desktop HD would work with Flashback? It's designed for Honeycomb devices. I only ask because it's about 1/3rd the price of LogMeIn Ignition. Thanks for any further help :)

The link to Splashtop is Splashtop

Edited by imdaman99, 01 October 2011 - 03:35 AM.

#9 FunkyFlyChicken

FunkyFlyChicken

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:38 AM

You have been extremely helpful with your answer, but any idea if Splashtop Remote Desktop HD would work with Flashback? It's designed for Honeycomb devices. I only ask because it's about 1/3rd the price of LogMeIn Ignition. Thanks for any further help :)

I didn't try the HD version of Splashtop, as it wasn't free. But I did test out the regular version, it worked ok but I kept losing connection. That could be my old linksys router though, but otherwise it seemed to work just fine. I'm running Flashback 8.1.

#10 Dave.S

Dave.S

Fishing & Flashing

• PipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:34 AM

I tried the Splashtop Remote Desktop HD v1.9.6.5 ' https://market.andro...plashtop.remote 'last nite for a bit and it worked fine. There is a 'streamer' app that needs be downloaded and run on the PC. When the tablet makes connection, the PC screen changes somewhat to fit the resolution on the tablet (my guess). It is kind of awkward to use but it would get better after getting used to, I think. The connection has been solid during a brief test.

Another great tool that came with FB is Dolphin For Pad. I found that this tool is great for browsing forums, and I use Opera Mobile for sites that has flash videos.

UPnPlay is another great tool for streaming videos from network shares and it is free. If there is a share, UPnPlay will display it and let user to browse the content. When a video is selected, it will offer a selection of installed video players to choose from. I used it occasionally to stream video from our server and from our computers without adding anything to the shares. Someone mentioned that he has to install a free version of Tversity.

Not a heavy gtablet user, so I can't contribute to this great thread much. Thanks to all of you who started and gave info/advises.

Dave,

Edited by Dave.S, 02 October 2011 - 04:52 AM.

#11 huntar

huntar

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:20 PM

You might try Pocketcloud. It worked on Flashback 7.2 when I was running it - you just had to move it to the tablet so it didn't disappear... I hear that is fixed now, but I am running Vegan 7.1.0 until Honeycomb gets better or we get Ice Cream Sandwich (right...)

#12 f'n around

f'n around

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:26 AM

I have not tried splashtop, so i can't answer that. What i do know is that logmein is easy to use and it does not change anything on the pc at all. You just need to install some software on your pc and you are good to go.

#13 NickVL

NickVL

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:37 PM

Let's see... my top 7 apps:
  • Thumb Keyboard
  • Dolphin HD
  • TapaTalk
  • BeyondPod (Best podcast/RSS feed reader I have found. Tablet version is awesome.)
  • Google Music beta (It took over a week to upload the music from my PC, but now my entire library is available anywhere.)
  • Mobo Player (very slick video player)
  • Quick Office HD [ported Vega (Froyo or Gingerbread)or paid Pro version (HoneyComb)]
Notables:
  • VTL.Launcher (I love this launcher)
  • Logos bible software (If you already own a Logos package for PC/Mac you can make books/bibles available offline.)
  • MySword bible software (similar to eSword PC software and can carry a bevy of bibles/commentaries/dictionaries/books/devotionals/etc.)
  • Nook and/or Kindle (both are good readers)
  • Overdrive (access public library ebooks)
  • Autodesk Sketchbook Pro (mobile version for Froyo/Gingerbread) Best program for sketching. Period.
  • SwiftKey Keyboard (better text prediction then ThumbKB, but not as customizable and has fewer formats.)

#14 gtabm

gtabm

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:42 PM

I was trying to find a news app since all the ones I have found seem rather lame. So was going to just ask that but then I figured it would be better to ask in general what are the 7 best apps that you have on your G Tablet, not just the news apps. Seeing if I can find some gems of an app that I haven't stumbled over yet.

So they are........????????

Hi there,
looks like you're trying to find news apps. Have you tried news360 for tablet? It's an awesome news app. I used to like pulse but 360 is the best in my opinion.

Other apps that I like:
- Evernote app - sync my note from any device through web access
- Tripadvisor :) - for looking at hotel reviews
- CNBC - ofcourse
- JustPictures
- Motplayer - based on file structure and easy to use and you can add cover very easy to the album
- Screen Filter - helpful since current HC rom does not support the auto brightness yet
- CircleLauncher light - helpful to manage apps
- MultiPicture Live Wallpaper - you can have different pic for each screen on your gTab. You can use your own photo collection too.

:drinks:

#15 SoNic

SoNic

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:50 PM

- Kindle (books)
- Zinio (magazines)
- Torque (with an OBDII blutooth adaptor)
- MX Video Player (with ARMv7 codec)
- ES File Explorer (to access Windows shares when the ROM does not have the CIFS module)

#16 Nambi

Nambi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:49 AM

Here is mine if I have to choose,

* Titanium Backup ( for who ever want to try all ROMS)
* Thumb Keyboard
* News 360 / Appy Geek
* Friend Me for facebook ( you can configure multiple account also)
* ES File Explorer
* Perfect Viewer with PDF support ( as all my ebooks in PDF format, my language[Tamil] isn't yet supported natively in Android)
* XBMC Remote (this one I use all the time) :-) [ VLC Remote also few files]

Groove IP for Google voice, if I am allowed to add one more on list

Thank you for all other contributions also....

About remote desktops, I tried to install TeamViewer, PacketCloud and Remote desktop but none of these get installed on my falshback 8.1. I haven't tried any paid app though. Any body using remote desktop apps successfully on FB8.1? (preferably free version to try)

#17 Chris S.

Chris S.

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:13 PM

I'm now using Clemsyn+Caulkin combo #8 and would like to ask the same question for this topic.

Specifically:
Audio + Video: MoboPlayer is out on this ROM because of a volume glitch (sets system volume to 25% after any change, very annoying - using ES Player for now).
GMail: What do I do without my Widget?! This ROM doesn't support the GMail widget, do I have to go to a 3rd party or is there a way to bring the widget to this ROM
Other useful widgets: I miss the browser widget with the favorites on the desktop not available on this ROM, what do you use?

Chris

#18 L00pback

L00pback

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:43 PM

About remote desktops, I tried to install TeamViewer, PacketCloud and Remote desktop but none of these get installed on my falshback 8.1. I haven't tried any paid app though. Any body using remote desktop apps successfully on FB8.1? (preferably free version to try)

I use 2x RDP client on Flashback 10 (used it on pretty much all Flashback builds). Easy to use, is free and has nice virtual mouse. When at home I use it to remote onto a PC in my study so I can remote into work and do stuff I can't do during normal work hours.

http://www.2x.com/rdp-client/android/

Alan

#19 TEK112

TEK112

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:33 PM

Amazon App Store (Free app every day... why the heck not!)

Music Beta

LogMeIn

Dropbox

Netflix

Google Reader

IMDB

I keep these separate from the obviously needed ones - SetCPU, Root Explorer, Titanium Backup Pro (must be pro!), Opera, Flash Player and AdFree Android.
DROID Paraphernalia:

G-Tablet - Team DRH ICS

Moto DROID - Retired - Steel Droid 10

Galaxy Nexus - AXI0M PATIENT ZERO - Franco Nightly Kernel

If you really want to thank me, sign up for Dropbox!

Looking for Tablet Firmware? GET IT HERE

#20 Sm0k3d0uT

Sm0k3d0uT

The Hand That Smites

• Global Moderators
  • 652 posts
  • LocationNY/NJ

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:40 PM

Here are my top 7 Apps

1. MoboPlayer (Best video player I have come across so far)

2. LogMeIn (cause my boss loves to call me on my days off to fix whatever latest emergency with a client's server)

3. NettFlix (Keeps my son entertained in the car)

4. MangaViewer

5. Pulse (great to have all the news from all the sites i visit in one app)

6. TapATalk (To keep an eye on all of you)

7. Pandora (only thing that keeps me sane commuting from NJ to NY and back everyday)