Differences in MID tablets

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 palmheel

palmheel

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:07 PM

I bought an MID WM8650, it has a custom firmware(Android 2.2/3.0 Hybrid Firmware_Flash 10.1). What are the differences in V7,V8?, am new at this, what category does mine fit in and should I add anything else to it?. The seller stated" IT IS IS NOT ANDROID 3.0, It is only a Modded Firmware to give the look of 3.0 HoneyComb". It seems stable enough.

Android OS 2.2
Kernel 2.6.32
Build v1.3.1

CPU VIA8650, High-performance 800MHZ CPU+300MHZ DSP
Operation system Android 2.2 (Support Flash 10.1)
Memory 256MB DDR2
Storage Device 2GB NAND Flash maximum capacity of 32GB tf card

Edited by palmheel, 15 September 2011 - 07:12 PM.

#2 wicknix

wicknix

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 17 September 2011 - 02:42 PM

Looks like it came with an old version of Uberoid installed. Uberoid v7 and v8 update the kernel and firmware with many fixes and improvements. You could also install Singularity, Modroid, Kdroid, etc etc on that device. The choice is yours. Just have a look around the forum. :)

Cheers
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver...

#3 JimC

JimC

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:37 PM

Gee, I thought I'd found my new tablet in this "Mid 7" section but now I'm not sure. (I feel like a newbee among newbees! I can't even identify which talet I have much less the more detailed information needed. Maybe someone with a lot more experience than I can help me out. Here's what I know:
1. The box has "MID" on it, but no number. However, it is a 7" tablet. I bought it from Amazon from a market dealer DigitalMIC.
2. Here is what the 'about' screen in settings told me:
Model: Wondermedia WM8650
Android Version: 2.2
Kernal Version: 2.6.32.9-default
Build Number: 20110708.055253
The packing slip says: "New 7" android 2.2 VIA8650 epad tablet pc 3.0MP Camera, Supports external 3G,Modem+WIFI+RJ45+Two Point Touch Screen..."
While charging there is a red led, and when unplugged a green led.

Well, that is about it! (I told you I was a newbee :)

Thanks for any help you can give.

P.S. Oh, and somewhere on their screen I'm sure I read that it could be upgraded to android version 2.3. I just can't find it again. :(

#4 JimC

JimC

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:46 PM

Following up on yesterday's post, I forgot to include questions! So, here they are:
1. What kind of Android tablet do I actually have?
2. In the Android Market I almost always get a message that my 'phone' is incompatible with the program. Is this because I have a 2.2 tablet, or is the market not picking up on what I actually have?
3. My goal is to do two things well on this tablet. First, to have a good word processor that includes a spell-check. Second to be able to Skype, Google+ or whatever video chat. I have looked at a couple different word processing apps, but most are 'incompatible' (even Quick Office, which came pre-installed!). All of the video chat apps say my tablet (or in most cases my 'phone' ;) ) is incompatible.

I hope that by updating my OS I can find more compatible apps, although I don't know that for sure.

Thanks for your help. I'm just plain stuck!

#5 diamanda

diamanda

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:25 PM

Hi I have the unbranded MID tablet 7' green led, black audio ouput, vibrates, model Wondermedia Wm8650 Android version 2.2 Kernel version2.6.32.9-default; build number generic-eng 2.2 Froyo version 1.3.1 -20110602.083938. I would like to download and install new rom for this to improve performance and get access to Andoid apps.

I am a mac user tho have windows virtual machine installed on iMac so can use that to download if need be. Cd someone give me step by step instructions on the process, including formatting micro SD card if necessary, and which build version to use for this machine. I want to use it mainly as an e-reader for a range of different ebook formats including kindle and an Android tablet seemed the best solution, given that I want something smaller than an ipad. The more I read about this process the less I feel I know what to do. And how do I back up OS in case something goes wrong?

Wifi works fine; 3G would work if I installed a dongle, I think and there is a market app to connect to main apps market via 3g but it needs an Android phone number first. Touch screen is a bit clunky and unresponsive and its very slow overall so a performance upgrade wd be great. Advice welcomed! And thanks in advance. :unsure:

#6 natco

natco

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:50 AM

i have the same tablet and the same problems
did you buy it from DX by chance?

#7 phuongnguyen.info

phuongnguyen.info

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:19 AM

I have the same problem. The 3G can not work with my dongle. The original rom not allow me use the Google Market. Touch screen not good, the speed is slow. Do you think when we update the firmware can solve that problem?

#8 Serenity

Serenity

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:52 PM

Hi i have a MID Wondermedia WM8650 which froze on the green android guy (startup) so installed a random and very buggy rom i wanted to install THIS but don't know what version of MID WM8650 i have any help would be greatly appreciated here are the specs

black earphone jack
non vibrate
green led
CPU - ARM926EJ-S rev 5 (5vl)

can someone please help me with this Thank You :)

#9 thyde

thyde

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:51 PM

i have the same tablet and the same problems
did you buy it from DX by chance?

Have you identified what brand/modelnumber your tablet has. I got mine from DX like you?

Regards

#10 rex1one

rex1one

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:41 AM

Gee, I thought I'd found my new tablet in this "Mid 7" section but now I'm not sure. (I feel like a newbee among newbees! I can't even identify which talet I have much less the more detailed information needed. Maybe someone with a lot more experience than I can help me out. Here's what I know:
1. The box has "MID" on it, but no number. However, it is a 7" tablet. I bought it from Amazon from a market dealer DigitalMIC.
2. Here is what the 'about' screen in settings told me:
Model: Wondermedia WM8650
Android Version: 2.2
Kernal Version: 2.6.32.9-default
Build Number: 20110708.055253
The packing slip says: "New 7" android 2.2 VIA8650 epad tablet pc 3.0MP Camera, Supports external 3G,Modem+WIFI+RJ45+Two Point Touch Screen..."
While charging there is a red led, and when unplugged a green led.

I just received this tablet from Amazon as well. I took most of the day yesterday playing with Uberoid but ended up settling on Modroid. After I followed the instructions in the ROM to fix the touchscreen it worked fine. The Wifi range on this tablet sucks majorly but other than that I'm content with it. Plus the battery indicator in Modroid always shows "full". I'm going to play with third party apps today to see if a widget will give me correct battery levels.

But mainly I just wanted to poke my head in and say how much I appreciate the work a lot of you people do on here. This is the 2nd tablet/ereader I've been able to mod and expand it's use-ability because of this site!

Thanks!

#11 zannyuk

zannyuk

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:48 PM

Hello everyone, weird question for you.

i bought "aparently" 2 mid v7's from an ########### seller.

Now the confusing part. about device shows android OS 2.3.3 which would be gingerbread not froyo. Arent these all froyo?

my kernal shows 2.6.35-7-InfoTM neville@neville-desktop #4

#12 Jammin

Jammin

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:53 PM

I have a WonderMedia WM8650

Android 2.2
Kernel 2.6.32.9-default
Build number: Generic-eng2.2 Froyo ver 1.5.5-20110920.013830

I am a "newbie" and would welcome any suggestions and where to get started. I really just want to open up Android Market to be able to download more apps/games. I got this tablet for my kid so he will stop asking to use my Evo.

Any suggestions on what would work the best?

Thanks!

#13 Fernando Quirino

Fernando Quirino

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:12 PM

Have you identified what brand/modelnumber your tablet has. I got mine from DX like you?

Regards

Got this one http://www.dealextre...349-79mhz-70053 and don't know if it is a V7 or V8 or unlisted type. Can anyone help me identify it?

#14 raziel018

raziel018

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

I just received this tablet from Amazon as well. I took most of the day yesterday playing with Uberoid but ended up settling on Modroid. After I followed the instructions in the ROM to fix the touchscreen it worked fine. The Wifi range on this tablet sucks majorly but other than that I'm content with it. Plus the battery indicator in Modroid always shows "full". I'm going to play with third party apps today to see if a widget will give me correct battery levels.

But mainly I just wanted to poke my head in and say how much I appreciate the work a lot of you people do on here. This is the 2nd tablet/ereader I've been able to mod and expand it's use-ability because of this site!

Thanks!

the problem lies in ur uboot did u try to copy and paste ur original uboot before flashing that will solve ur problem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users