Official Pandigital Novel 2.3 Upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 flipoid

flipoid

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:35 PM

I have searched and searched until it's given me a headache, and I am hoping someone here can help me. I bought my white Pandigital Novel in April 2011. As soon as I got it, I upgraded the firmware from Pandigital's site, so my WPDN is running Android 2.0. I have an online friend who also has a WPDN and she told me that in July 2011, there was an upgrade on Pandigital's site to Android 2.3. I cannot find it there; have searched the web and can't find info, and have searched the SlateDroid forum. I've not yet been brave enough to do the thing I found here on SlateDroid to get the official Android Market, but it would be pointless anyway for me because most of the apps I want from the Android Market require version 2.1 at a minimum.

So, can anyone here tell me, can the WPDN be updated beyond Android 2.0? If so, how do I do it? Where do I find the file for it? Again, I've read the WPDN Wiki, searched high and low (and redid the Pandigital Upgrader from the Pandigital site just in case even though the file name was the same (the 64POP one, or something like that), the version of Android was different), and I am just at a loss.

I really would appreciate any help, because I like my Novel and want to get more use out of it.

#2 bac522

bac522

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:48 AM

So, can anyone here tell me, can the WPDN be updated beyond Android 2.0? If so, how do I do it? Where do I find the file for it?

No...the 2.3 update is for Pandigital's new tablets (Planet & Nova). There was some people trying to develop customer firmware to later versions of Android, but nothing usable was released.

#3 sainthooligan

sainthooligan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:16 AM

I have searched and searched until it's given me a headache, and I am hoping someone here can help me. I bought my white Pandigital Novel in April 2011. As soon as I got it, I upgraded the firmware from Pandigital's site, so my WPDN is running Android 2.0. I've not yet been brave enough to do the thing I found here on SlateDroid to get the official Android Market, but it would be pointless anyway for me because most of the apps I want from the Android Market require version 2.1 at a minimum.So, can anyone here tell me, can the WPDN be updated beyond Android 2.0? If so, how do I do it? Where do I find the file for it?

It depends on which FW you are on, but you'll want to click that link that says "wiki" at the top of the pages or read the "ATTN: Pandigital Novel/Tablet Users" announcement at the top of the thread you posted in... it'll be like tylenol for your headache because the info is right in the open in an easy to follow format and is very complete.

If you've already run the upgrade tool (which isn't recommended) then you're likely on 3/2 based FW. You can "trick" the market by getting the device to report it is 2.1 rather than 2.0. It requires a small change to the build.prop file.

Again, depending on the FW you are on, there is a flashable patch to get the device to report as 2.1 so other apps will work (not all apps will work but more can be installed):
use the patch :" Update build.prop to SDK7"
from here: http://www.slatedroi...d-enhancements/
This isn't the only method to apply the change, but the easiest. The "manual" method requires using adb. It isn't hard to do, but now there's enough "key words" in this for you to know what to search for if you get to the point of trying it out "manually".

No...the 2.3 update is for Pandigital's new tablets (Planet & Nova). There was some people trying to develop customer firmware to later versions of Android, but nothing usable was released.

You're friend was likely referring to what bac522 mentions. Here's what bac's talking about that isn't necessarily "every day" usable - none are 100% working! So your mileage will vary:

CM6 thread:
http://www.slatedroi...happy-bday-sld/
2.3 thread:
http://www.slatedroi...gerbread-alpha/
2.2 thread:
http://www.slatedroi...-22-froyo-beta/

Alpha- is what it is - the most buggy
Beta - not quite to the "release candidate", still buggy
The CM6 - much of the same

If you get to that point to attempt flashing any of those FW, be sure to spend some time in those threads and reading up on some of the issues folks have with them- as well as understanding how to revert BACK whatever FW you are currently running/prefer BEFORE flashing any of these that are alpha/beta.

Edited by sainthooligan, 10 September 2011 - 08:18 AM.

• mrsburnout, daspazz, ROOTMYROM and 1 other like this

#4 @cal90

@cal90

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:01 AM

flipoid: might i suggest flashing one of the roms listed on the site. i would recomend it as you will have a better experience in terms of app compatility and such. kewlguy has some good mods based off the wpdns op software that run 2.1 instead of 2.0.

#5 jimyg

jimyg

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

Great info on these boards.. Just ordered my PDN (white) today and looks like I have found the right forum to mod it!