SKYTEX SKYPAD Alpha ADB

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 skytex_justin

skytex_justin

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 03:17 PM

Hello everyone! I know I posted this topic in NeighborhoodHacker's post about his root + gapps program, but I realized that it would be a little difficult for those who also want to use ADB for other purposes. As I'm still a little new to Android, I am limited to the ADB knowledge and what it could bring to our tablet. Hopefully those with more background could take a look and see what they could do with this bad boy.

This tutorial and driver should work on all Windows platforms of Windows XP and above; both to 32-bit and 64-bit machines. Linux has another work around, which I don't remember how I got it working (derp), but once I figure it out, I'll try to edit this post. As for MAC users, we don't have any in the office (or do I have one at home) so I'm not too custom with how that might work. However, for those who can figure out how it might work with a Mac, you could post a reply of how it works and I'll edit this post with your tutorial ( of course with your credit).

For those who want to get the USB ADB working along with NeighborhoodHacker's one click root + gapps installation with USB; follow these few steps to get the ADB to recognize the SKYTEX SKYPAD Alpha. These instructions are different from installing the drivers from our main website. The SKYTEX SKYPAD Alpha will need to be on and connected to your computer in order for the driver to be installed.

1) You are going to need the Android SDK provided here.

2) In a command prompt, cd into your Android folder and update your ADB to receive the adb_usb.ini file under your profile ex:(android-sdk-windows\tools\android.bat update adb)

3) Then modify the adb_usb.ini file under X:\Users\Profiles<your account>\.android\adb_usb.ini : and add the freescale vendor ID:

# ANDROID 3RD PARTY USB VENDOR ID LIST -- DO NOT EDIT.
# USE 'android update adb' TO GENERATE.
# 1 USB VENDOR ID PER LINE.
0x15a2

4) Then install this driver: Attached File  android_usb_fsl.zip   8.27MB   586 downloads

5) restart the adb server if needed ( adb kill-server -> adb devices)

There you have it, now your adb should be able to recognize your SKYTEX SKYPAD Alpha.

Remember, editing the Vendor ID list isn't recommended by Google because it will affect other devices from being recognized. You can always remove that one line to enable your other devices to be recognized.

Also, if you got the ADB working please leave a post to let me know, or if there is any other way to make this tutorial easier!

Edited by skytex_justin, 15 September 2011 - 11:25 AM.

• mrsburnout, Kairnage, borg and 2 others like this

#2 snutting

snutting

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:15 PM

I should be getting my pad any day now, like tomorrow! Is it possible to get these instructions out on YouTube for me to watch? The first thing I will do is root and add gapps for sure using NeighboorhoodHacker java tools. No big deal if not I think I can swing what you are talking about here anyway.

Edited by snutting, 09 September 2011 - 04:15 PM.

• wolfair likes this

#3 NeighboorhoodHacker

NeighboorhoodHacker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationRocklin, CA

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:43 AM

I should be getting my pad any day now, like tomorrow! Is it possible to get these instructions out on YouTube for me to watch? The first thing I will do is root and add gapps for sure using NeighboorhoodHacker java tools. No big deal if not I think I can swing what you are talking about here anyway.

Well you lucky bastards might have it made soon because I've been considering making a full on file browser via adb that lets you put any file anywhere you want and looks similar to a standard file browser. It would make gapps and what else a snap.
  • wolfair likes this

#4 DMerchen

DMerchen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:53 PM

Hello everyone! I know I posted this topic in NeighborhoodHacker's post about his root + gapps program, but I realized that it would be a little difficult for those who also want to use ADB for other purposes. As I'm still a little new to Android, I am limited to the ADB knowledge and what it could bring to our tablet. Hopefully those with more background could take a look and see what they could do with this bad boy.

This tutorial and driver should work on all Windows platforms of Windows XP and above; both to 32-bit and 64-bit machines. Linux has another work around, which I don't remember how I got it working (derp), but once I figure it out, I'll try to edit this post. As for MAC users, we don't have any in the office (or do I have one at home) so I'm not too custom with how that might work. However, for those who can figure out how it might work with a Mac, you could post a reply of how it works and I'll edit this post with your tutorial ( of course with your credit).

For those who want to get the USB ADB working along with NeighborhoodHacker's one click root + gapps installation with USB; follow these few steps to get the ADB to recognize the SKYTEX SKYPAD Alpha.

1) You are going to need the Android SDK provided here.

2) In a command prompt, cd into your Android folder and update your ADB to receive the adb_usb.ini file under your profile ex:(android-sdk-windows\tools\android.bat update adb)

3) Then modify the adb_usb.ini file under X:\Profile\<your account>\.android\adb_usb.ini : and add the freescale vendor ID:

# ANDROID 3RD PARTY USB VENDOR ID LIST -- DO NOT EDIT.
# USE 'android update adb' TO GENERATE.
# 1 USB VENDOR ID PER LINE.
0x15a2

4) Then install this driver: Attached File  android_usb_fsl.zip   8.27MB   586 downloads

5) restart the adb server if needed ( adb kill-server -> adb devices)

There you have it, now your adb should be able to recognize your SKYTEX SKYPAD Alpha.

Remember, editing the Vendor ID list isn't recommended by Google because it will affect other devices from being recognized. You can always remove that one line to enable your other devices to be recognized.

Also, if you got the ADB working please leave a post to let me know, or if there is any other way to make this tutorial easier!

Hello all, I am trying to figure this out, but just can't seem to get it. I am stuck on number 3. I don't understand what I am supposed to do. I don't understand where I am supposed to find this file. What profile? Sorry, I am a super noob at this and everyone tells me this is supposed to be super easy, but I am just a little lost. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
  • wolfair likes this

#5 skytex_justin

skytex_justin

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:22 AM

It's all good Dave, we're all here to learn! So, in order to get to number three did you download the Android SDK and installed it successfully? Once that is done, you open your command prompt, cd into your Android SDK folder -> to tools -> and then type android.bat update adb.

This then creates an adb_usb.ini file in your profile account. Your profile account is the account that you have made in Windows, which is most likely installed in your Local Disk C: drive.
So, X:\ is your Local Disk where Windows is located, then you should see a folder that says "Users." Go into that folder and look for your profile user name (example C:\Users\Justin).

Sorry, I'll edit the original post to try and make it clearer. I realized that it skilled the Users folder. Hope this helps!

#6 NeighboorhoodHacker

NeighboorhoodHacker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationRocklin, CA

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:24 AM

Hello all, I am trying to figure this out, but just can't seem to get it. I am stuck on number 3. I don't understand what I am supposed to do. I don't understand where I am supposed to find this file. What profile? Sorry, I am a super noob at this and everyone tells me this is supposed to be super easy, but I am just a little lost. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Well I'm not exactly sure about X:\\Profile but I think it's more like X:\\User and instead of the X drive I would bet money it's your C: drive heh. File paths typed strictly from memory can sometimes be fun to figure out. :) I find I type them wrong myself time to time.

#7 DMerchen

DMerchen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:09 PM

Okay, thanks. Yes, I did get the sdk installed with no difficulties, and I got through the update. This will certainly help with step 3. I wasn't sure if the file was on the tablet or not, hadn't thought to look on the hard drive. Such a noob!! Okay, so step 4, installing the drivers? And after that how will I know the tablet is connected? Is the adb server then killed and started in the dos prompt? So many questions. :unsure: Thanks again for the assist!!

#8 skytex_justin

skytex_justin

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:25 PM

Yes, step 4 is to install the drivers. You need to manually install them sometimes, because yes Windows likes to make things hard at times. Just download the drivers -> extract -> device manager -> Update Driver Software -> Browse My Computer for driver software -> Let me Pick -> Have Disk -> Browse for the driver you downloaded and install. As for the ADB, yes you are going to open up the command prompt, CD into your android folder (the ADB is located in platform-tools), restart the ADB server by typing adb kill-server -> adb devices. Then, it will show you a list of devices that are connected, and the SKYTEX SKYPAD Alpha should be connected.

#9 DMerchen

DMerchen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:16 PM

Thanks once again!! Can't wait to get home and give this a try!! Love the tablet anyway, but looking forward to having this!!

#10 DMerchen

DMerchen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:17 PM

Yes, step 4 is to install the drivers. You need to manually install them sometimes, because yes Windows likes to make things hard at times. Just download the drivers -> extract -> device manager -> Update Driver Software -> Browse My Computer for driver software -> Let me Pick -> Have Disk -> Browse for the driver you downloaded and install. As for the ADB, yes you are going to open up the command prompt, CD into your android folder (the ADB is located in platform-tools), restart the ADB server by typing adb kill-server -> adb devices. Then, it will show you a list of devices that are connected, and the SKYTEX SKYPAD Alpha should be connected.

Found the file in step 3 and edited it. :) Sorry for all of the questions, but I do not see what I am supposed to update in the device manager. I don't see Update Driver Software in the list. Is it supposed to be the usb drivers? I should have mentioned I am using Windows 7, so I don't know if this makes a difference. Thanks again for the help getting me to this point.

#11 Kairnage

Kairnage

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:43 PM

Found the file in step 3 and edited it. :) Sorry for all of the questions, but I do not see what I am supposed to update in the device manager. I don't see Update Driver Software in the list. Is it supposed to be the usb drivers? I should have mentioned I am using Windows 7, so I don't know if this makes a difference. Thanks again for the help getting me to this point.

to install the drivers you want to have the pad powered off then attach it by USB to the PC. Then use a pin to hold down the reset button on the back of the pad and while you are holding it down insert the power cord. Windows 7 will then see the device. It should ask for the drivers. Choose browse my computer for driver. Then choose pick from list - browse to the driver files you downloaded and unzipped. If it doesn't ask to install the driver go to the device manager and iut should show under Other Devices as SE Blank Elvis. Right click and choose update driver and install the same way I just mentioned.

Sorry if this seems a little convoluted, but I have been up almost 24hrs now. Apparently a double wasp sting in the armpit can give me insomnia lol.
  • mrsburnout likes this

If you Like my efforts please feel free to donate, the price of Pepsi Max keeps going up. DONATE HERE

Skytex Promotional code SLATE25OFF on Skytex tablets for all Slatedroid members @ shop.skytex.com

Skytex Skypad S10 Rabid ROM Beta v1.0
Skytex Imagine 10 Rabid ROM v10 Jelly Bean
Skytex SP712 ICS Stock
HP Touchpad Dual Boot WebOs and CM9
Skytex Skypad Gemini 7" ICS Rabid ROM V1.0
Excite 10 Tegra 3 Stock ICS
Elocity A7+ Evilocity ROM
Sylvania SynetLP 7" Rooted

#12 skytex_justin

skytex_justin

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:21 AM

Sorry Kairnage, I believe that is to install the Freescale USB Driver. The Freescale USB driver enables the Manufacturing Tool to recognize the SKYTEX SKYPAD Alpha's board in order to re-flash or upgrade its firmware.

As for this driver, it enables the use of ADB ( or allows Google's ADB to recognize the Alpha), so the device actually needs to be on and connected to your computer at the same time. I will re-edit my post to mention this further.

Thanks for all the feedback so far, keep it coming!

#13 Connway

Connway

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:35 PM

I have been unable to successfully install the drivers provided in your tutorial. I was able to successfully install the drivers from the Skytex website, but ADB does not recognize that any device is present. I have re-installed the drivers multiple times to no avail.

I installed the drivers with the device appearing as SE Blank ELVIS.

The last couple posts are confusing. My guess is that I'm supposed to install the drivers as described by Kairnage, but skytex_justin's follow up makes it sound like I'm supposed to power up the device and install it when the device appears as MX51 BBG Android?

Clarification would be much appreciated.
Thanks

#14 niputaidea

niputaidea

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:21 PM

I have been unable to successfully install the drivers provided in your tutorial. I was able to successfully install the drivers from the Skytex website, but ADB does not recognize that any device is present. I have re-installed the drivers multiple times to no avail.

I installed the drivers with the device appearing as SE Blank ELVIS.

The last couple posts are confusing. My guess is that I'm supposed to install the drivers as described by Kairnage, but skytex_justin's follow up makes it sound like I'm supposed to power up the device and install it when the device appears as MX51 BBG Android?

Clarification would be much appreciated.
Thanks

I am on the same boat (WinVistax64). I go to the Device Manager, I right click on one of the three "Freescal eMX51 BBG Android USB Device", I choose "Update Driver Software", then choose "Browse my computer for driver software", then on the "Browse for driver software on your computer" I choose "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"; on the next screen I click on "Have disk", then I browse to the location and I select the android_winusb.inf file but I get the following error: "The folder you specified does not contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems"

Can Skytex_Justin or Skytex_Joe help please? I am trying to add the Gapps so I can get Netflix

Thanks

#15 Kairnage

Kairnage

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:53 PM

I am on the same boat (WinVistax64). I go to the Device Manager, I right click on one of the three "Freescal eMX51 BBG Android USB Device", I choose "Update Driver Software", then choose "Browse my computer for driver software", then on the "Browse for driver software on your computer" I choose "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"; on the next screen I click on "Have disk", then I browse to the location and I select the android_winusb.inf file but I get the following error: "The folder you specified does not contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems"

Can Skytex_Justin or Skytex_Joe help please? I am trying to add the Gapps so I can get Netflix

Thanks

You can use the instructions to install them wirelessly and not have to worry about drivers at all.

Or if there are no 64bit drivers available you could disable the signature check like this. if you have SP1 type cmd in the search box in the Vista Start menu. press ctrl + shift + enter to open a command prompt window with admin rights then type Bcdedit /set nointegritychecks ON then hit enter or if you have SP2 type bcdedit /set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS then hit enter to disable Driver Signing and reboot. They may have done a security fix in SP2 to get this removed at some point, I don;t remember.

Edited by Kairnage, 23 September 2011 - 11:53 PM.

If you Like my efforts please feel free to donate, the price of Pepsi Max keeps going up. DONATE HERE

Skytex Promotional code SLATE25OFF on Skytex tablets for all Slatedroid members @ shop.skytex.com

Skytex SP712 ICS Stock

#16 niputaidea

niputaidea

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 02:19 PM

You can use the instructions to install them wirelessly and not have to worry about drivers at all.

Or if there are no 64bit drivers available you could disable the signature check like this. if you have SP1 type cmd in the search box in the Vista Start menu. press ctrl + shift + enter to open a command prompt window with admin rights then type Bcdedit /set nointegritychecks ON then hit enter or if you have SP2 type bcdedit /set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS then hit enter to disable Driver Signing and reboot. They may have done a security fix in SP2 to get this removed at some point, I don;t remember.

Thanks for your reply.

As for the driver signing I tried everything, I even tried it on a XP laptop with no luck.

Where do I get "the instructions to install them wirelessly"? I was able to get a hand of both netflix 1.2.2 and netflix 1.4.1 and put them on the built-in SD card where using a file manager I found on getjar I could locate them and install them. The 1.2.2 told me that I needed to update to the latest version but I tried 5 different times and it always got stuck within 10 seconds of showing "updating", so I resorted to installing the 1.4.1. It worked better but the problem is that there is sound when playing a movie but no image/picture. I also installed the flash player that came with the pad in the built-in sd card.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Juan

#17 Kairnage

Kairnage

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 03:37 PM

Thanks for your reply.

As for the driver signing I tried everything, I even tried it on a XP laptop with no luck.

Where do I get "the instructions to install them wirelessly"? I was able to get a hand of both netflix 1.2.2 and netflix 1.4.1 and put them on the built-in SD card where using a file manager I found on getjar I could locate them and install them. The 1.2.2 told me that I needed to update to the latest version but I tried 5 different times and it always got stuck within 10 seconds of showing "updating", so I resorted to installing the 1.4.1. It worked better but the problem is that there is sound when playing a movie but no image/picture. I also installed the flash player that came with the pad in the built-in sd card.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Juan

On 1.2.2 you have to choose cancel on the update each time.

the instructions for wireless are in this thread http://www.slatedroi...root-and-gapps/

Skytex SP712 ICS Stock

#18 niputaidea

niputaidea

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:55 PM

On 1.2.2 you have to choose cancel on the update each time.

the instructions for wireless are in this thread http://www.slatedroi...root-and-gapps/

Thanks for the instructions

I was able to install the adb wireless apk but it says that my device needs to be rooted. So I tried the gingerbreak 1.1 app that (neighboorhoodhacker posted) but the app just keeps saying updating, it never does anything. I left it for several hours and as soon as click on the screen it goes back to the home screen. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Juan

#19 Kairnage

Kairnage

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:00 PM

Thanks for the instructions

I was able to install the adb wireless apk but it says that my device needs to be rooted. So I tried the gingerbreak 1.1 app that (neighboorhoodhacker posted) but the app just keeps saying updating, it never does anything. I left it for several hours and as soon as click on the screen it goes back to the home screen. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Juan

Try 1.2. Did you enable USB debugging before trying to root?

Edited by Kairnage, 25 September 2011 - 04:01 PM.

Skytex SP712 ICS Stock

#20 niputaidea

niputaidea

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:50 PM

Try 1.2. Did you enable USB debugging before trying to root?

I meant 1.2. I did have the usb debugging on which btw goes away as soon as I unplug the usb cable from either my pc or the pad itself

Thanks,

Juan