Photo

How to recovery when Gtab does not turn on and stay in APX mode.

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 JHGSlateDroid

JHGSlateDroid

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:17 PM

Hello All,

My GTab is stuck in APX mode when I power down.

I would like to try the step outlined in the start of the thread here, but when I click any of the links to androidtabletfirmware.com the Chrome browser identifies it as a site with known malware.

Is there an alternate download site?

Thanks,

Joe

Ok, I managed to find the files, but the procedure is not working. I get through to the end but never see the birds when booting into the stock firmware. Then it's back to APX after power reinit.

Joe

#42 Miss Dragon

Miss Dragon

Dragon Lady

• PipPipPip
  • 6,471 posts
  • LocationDragonDevs

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

Hello All,

My GTab is stuck in APX mode when I power down.

I would like to try the step outlined in the start of the thread here, but when I click any of the links to androidtabletfirmware.com the Chrome browser identifies it as a site with known malware.

Is there an alternate download site?

Thanks,

Joe

Ok, I managed to find the files, but the procedure is not working. I get through to the end but never see the birds when booting into the stock firmware. Then it's back to APX after power reinit.

Joe

I'm sorry, androidtabletfirmware.com was hacked few days ago. It's clean now, but it's in process to get back from goolge blacklist.

According to the files, I'm not sure where you get them from, maybe it's not the same one from this OP? Just a guess.
Places can find me:

HERE

#43 JHGSlateDroid

JHGSlateDroid

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

Hi rowwor,

I just re-downloaded everything from androidtabletfirmware.com and re-ran the steps outlined again from the top, with the same results.

I think something is not right at step 2.8.

For me it goes like this:

-tablet restarts in recovery mode and installs the update
-the screen does not go black and back in APX mode
-instead I am back at the recovery menu, with a crossed wrench and screwdriver on the screen
at the bottom is the following message:

E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk2
(No such file or directory)
E:Can't mount SDCARD2:recovery/command
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Installing update...

the menu options are the following:

Reboot System Now
Apply Internal update.zip
Apply External SDcard update.zip
Wipe Data/Factory Reset
Wipe Cache Partition
Calibrate Touch panel

Not sure what the right way to go is at this point. I've tried this a number of the menu options over the last day. The latest I just tried was select "Apply External SDcard update.zip". This sends me to a static wrench/screwdriver cross. Holding the power button down sends me back to APX. Proceeding then to step 2.9, I get the gtab screen, no birds, boot into stock and then when I power down, I am back in APX.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks for the help,

Joe

#44 Miss Dragon

Miss Dragon

Dragon Lady

• PipPipPip
  • 6,471 posts
  • LocationDragonDevs

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

hey joe..im not home by my pc..maybe you should ave a look a few posts/page back..a user got his working and added his instruction in pdf...worth to try.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Places can find me:

HERE

#45 JHGSlateDroid

JHGSlateDroid

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

Hello rowwor,

Yes, I've had that .pdf open in front of me since last night. I've done it that way a few times with no success. I had been playing around running the battery down (as recommended) when I tried something that finally gave me success.

At step 2.5, instead of copying the update.zip of the stock 4349 recovery over, this time I connected to network and allowed the system to download system update 5699. Hit apply update.

It reboot into APX. Ran nvflash_part6.bat to get past APX and the update installed.

Rebooted again after showing the crossed wrench and screwdriver. Ran nvflash_part6.bat again to complete the install. Saw a re-partition message, the gtab screen, then the viewsonic birds (YES!). Booted into stock 5699. Done a number of power down restart cycles with no issue.

I hope this will help anyone else out who gets stuck like I did.

Now to get CWM and a new ROM on this thing.

Thanks again,

Joe
  • Miss Dragon and KnittingNerd like this

#46 Miss Dragon

Miss Dragon

Dragon Lady

• PipPipPip
  • 6,471 posts
  • LocationDragonDevs

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:55 AM

Thanks Joe. Glad you get it working again. Perhaps I should add your method to OP as well?
Places can find me:

HERE

#47 hushpup

hushpup

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:11 PM

I was restoring my tablet to stock, BL 1.1. After accepting the 3588 update, I foolishly accepted an update for the BL 1.2.

I can not get into the APX mode.

The battery is fully charged and the pressing of the reset button is not giving me any audible sounds (USB to PC connection). All the solutions I've read will lead to a restoration but not if I can't get into the APX mode.

This should have been a soft brick situation, recoverable though actions starting from the APX mode (power button plus volume -).

May I ask for your thoughts?

Edited by hushpup, 10 June 2012 - 04:12 PM.

#48 KnittingNerd

KnittingNerd

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:12 PM

Joe,

I used your method, and it worked for me, after months of trying every version of this process I could lay my hands on. Thank you to both you and the people who provided the version you built on.
My 10-year-old daughter also thanks you, since she gets this tablet now - I bought an Asus TF300T, because who can be without a tablet?! :yahoo:

KnittingNerd

#49 KnittingNerd

KnittingNerd

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:13 PM

FWIW, Joe's version is what finally brought my tablet back to life after months of fruitless efforts with any other method. Thanks to all of you who do such great work for those of us who are just end users!

KnittingNerd

#50 helixro

helixro

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

FWIW, Joe's version is what finally brought my tablet back to life after months of fruitless efforts with any other method. Thanks to all of you who do such great work for those of us who are just end users!

KnittingNerd

Update from grannygeek: when I succeeded in resuscitating my "bricked" APX'ed tablet way back when I had succeeded (not realizing it at the time) by using a method not unlike Joe's. I had done and re-done the steps so often that I went brain-dead and ported over another recovery/update set and that is the one used in lieu of the one suggested by ninjakitty. I say this now because my son brought his gtabl with him during this Xmas visit. And I un-bricked it after refreshing my steps taken as described in the PDF I wrote.
Definitely add it to the OP, NK.

#51 helixro

helixro

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

Hello rowwor,

Yes, I've had that .pdf open in front of me since last night. I've done it that way a few times with no success. I had been playing around running the battery down (as recommended) when I tried something that finally gave me success.

At step 2.5, instead of copying the update.zip of the stock 4349 recovery over, this time I connected to network and allowed the system to download system update 5699. Hit apply update.

It reboot into APX. Ran nvflash_part6.bat to get past APX and the update installed.

Rebooted again after showing the crossed wrench and screwdriver. Ran nvflash_part6.bat again to complete the install. Saw a re-partition message, the gtab screen, then the viewsonic birds (YES!). Booted into stock 5699. Done a number of power down restart cycles with no issue.

I hope this will help anyone else out who gets stuck like I did.

Now to get CWM and a new ROM on this thing.

Thanks again,

Joe

Here's some additional thoughts on your very good suggestions above. I worked on my son's bricked gtab at christmas and followed my own pdf instructions. I could get the birds and get the OTA update from viewsonic, but I couldn't get CWM up again so as to install a better ROM. The last time I succeeded I was happy enough to see the birds. I also due to brain-deadness mentioned below accidentally sideloaded an update folder with a better ROM.
At Christmas, repeating/reading my own steps and with the addition of your suggestions, I found when I got the TapnTap 5699 update and then wanted to flash to a better rom, I couldn't get into CWM - that is, I suspect, because the OTA update overwrote something and clockworkmod disappeared, so when I took care to again sideload a stable CWM, I could then happily go about flashing roms again. Just wanted to pass that on until and if I get around to re-writing the PDF I put up last year. jic that's happened to anyone recently.
There appears to be a thriving business in used gTabs on eB** with the emergence of CM10 and JellyBean, so likely one or two will get stuck in the dreaded APX and wander over here. - grannygeek (aka helixro)

#52 siha

siha

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

I'm stuck at step 2.1. NVflash give a message - USB device not found.

How do I proceed

#53 Reimar

Reimar

Mr. Imperfect

• Global Moderators
  • 3,049 posts
  • LocationSamut Prakarn (Thailand)

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:00 AM

I'm stuck at step 2.1. NVflash give a message - USB device not found.

How do I proceed

Did you have set USB Debugging set to enabled? If not, just do that within Setting and try again.

And welcome to SLD.

Mr. Imperfect
from
LOS (Land of Smile (Thailand))

Posted Image

Please do NOT hijack my signature picture. Thanks.

#54 mike597

mike597

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:25 PM

The replies to this post sound like exactly what I'm running in to, but when I tried to download the files it says they aren't available anymore, I get an error message. Any chance they are available still? I've installed a number of ROMs but bricked it when trying to push Jelly Bean. The info on this site is fantastic!

Thanks for the help!

#55 allenpan

allenpan

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:50 AM

hello, those files are not found.... can someone give me the updated link for it?