Android Tablets Forum banner

How do I root the Pandigital Novel 7" White

80K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  ironwulf105 
#1 ·
I am using a Pandigital Novel 7" for development of Android Apps.. Though new to Android it is working for me..

I have a Pandigital 7" that is updated as far as the firmware updates go. However, I still do not have access the android market. and I do not have root access..

I am trying to install an sql reader that I found on SlideMe.org and it says to update my rom.

I have the most up-to-date firmware from the Pandigital Website.. http://www.pandigital.net/ANDROID

I'm not really sure that I needed this update, because, when I bought it, it was already a fully functioning android device.

I also found a link for a firmware update Android Open Source Kit: http://www.pandigital.net/?PageID=335
Before I install this kit, does anybody know if this will give me root access..

Thank for your help!
Jeff
jwilke101@gmail.com

See less See more
#2 ·
Jeff....Jeff....Jeff...
The search tool works wonders as there is more than enough information and solutions to go around for everyone.

That said:
Start here: http://www.slatedroid.com/forum-58/announcement-3-attn-pandigital-noveltablet-users/ (yes, the main announcement at the top of the forum you posted this in that reads "ATTN: Pandigital Novel/Tablet Users"

Then

You can find some "patches" here:
http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/14744-kewlguys-114-127-215-32-wpdn-sd-card-enhancements/

Please read up on FW flashing and get to know your novel or you'll be answering the age old question:
Which came first - The WPDN Brick or the App?

#25 ·
Hey Saint,

I have read the introduction instructions in the forums and I feel like some of it is contradicting itself.

So I went to the links (for the enhancements and 'ATTN')you gave Jeff here and under the enhancement link, I read the whole page and found out none of those will support my Pandigital Novel... My firmware ver. is: SKI20_20110321_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP
That came stock on the device.

Its a build version that dates 3/21... ya'll only have enhancements for up to 3/2. So does that mean, those enhancements by Kewl will not work on my Pandigital that I bought 3 days ago?

Please let me know. I know ya'll dont want noobs to clutter the experts but I have read everything, youtubed everything and I keep coming to a conclusion that these enhancements (rooting, market, netflix etc) wont work for my pandigital because its firmware is newer. Or am i just stupid and am missing something really simple here?

Thanks,
Nate

#4 ·
hey guys! complete newby to all this stuff and i just spent an hour on youtube and keep getting my droid with an exclamation point when rebootinh my system? From the start what do i need to do to get market and root my 7 inch novel! so how to avoid the droid with exclamation point! thank u! and HELP lol

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
I recommend you spend an hour reading up on your device before flashing anything. Also, if you look about 3 posts above this one you'll see some links, one of them is affectionately labeled "ATTN: Pandigital Novel/Tablet Users" and links to important information that can help you.

Not saying you won't get help here, just saying you need to do a little bit of "self-discovery"....would you simply walk into any physicians office and say "my side hurts, I need a perscription!"...without any other information? What FW are you on? What were you trying to flash? Etc,etc.etc...do your homework first,please and do try reading this FIRST: http://www.slatedroid.com/forum-58/announcement-3-attn-pandigital-noveltablet-users/ yes, that is the content that links from the "ATTN: Pandigital Novel/Tablet Users" mentioned above.
BUT if you cannot read that, how could you possibly read any assistance anyone could offer around here? Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to help you be successful in achieving your goal of getting your device rooted and getting the market on it- I believe in you!

By the way, the patches link that is mentioned in the same post (about 3 above)includes a widely successful sub-forum that begins with those patches that will help you and questions and comments from people that have used them or were thinking about using them. Everything you need to know is around here. Go for it- the doors are wide open for you! In fact, here's the keys to everything: the search tool, near the top right of the page.

Oh and 1 more goldnet nugget from the wiki: http://www.slatedroid.com/wiki/index.php/Pandigital_Novel_Hacking#Unresponsive_Device.2C_Black_Screen.2C_No_Boot.2C_Android.2FTriangle.2F.21 "Unresponsive Device, Black Screen, No Boot, Android/Triangle/!"

#7 ·
I thank you guys very much for your advice.. but, likewise, you shouldn't always assume that people haven't already done massive amounts of research.. In the last month I have completely switched over to Ubuntu Linux for development... learned Java.. and Android Java.. Learned extensively about Pandigital. If I didn't miss that ATTN link, I prob never would have posted this question. Affectively.. I've been deep up in that info.. my pandigital is different now to say the least.. ironically, still no root.

but, I do have an android app published.. You can find it here: FREE http://slideme.org/application/metalshoppro-1-0

Just wanted to show you that I've actually been doing my homework.. I also have a version of this app on the android marketplace.

#9 ·
If I didn't miss that ATTN link, I prob never would have posted this question
It is an announcement across all the fourms at the very top. There is also a WIKI that includes oodles and oodles of information. That is also located at the top of the page.

The point is, reading is a requirement. Most will come here with a quick post without reading because they don't want to read for themselves and overlook the same answers. *ahem* dare I say laziness? Someone prove me wrong...come here, search and find your answer- then post and say "Hey, I came here with a question and found the answer on my own because I read and used the search tool"....exactly.

In fact, when you have some time, take a look around at the answers people are receiving...guess what? The greater majority (as in 99% of them) end up getting their question answered by a LINK TO OTHER POSTS THAT INCLUDE INFORMATION AND SOLUTIONS THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN POSTED!

Last I checked, getting free technical support and anwsers to questions is a privilege, not a right...and no one here "works" for Slatedroid...so when people become more and more complacent of that, guess what? the community suffers...too much taking and not enough giving.

Another example,if you'll notice the character that posted in this same thread, a couple of posts up- the information that was posted for your inquiry could have easily be used to resolve their own issue or lead them to enlightenment as well. BUT instead, they posted a question to supplement their "YouTube" research...Regardless of the research on YouTube, the research needs to be done where the answers are. If I'm looking for paint that doesn't chip, I'm not going to find it at the shoe store.

Now that you've done your homework and created our app (congrats), perhaps you can help offer some of that expertise in assisting the community brethren.

By the way- you should have posted it in the "App Compatibility" forum, you'll get more exposure there.

Hey, why not make a "Slatedroid" free app that quickly links to the wiki and other areas when a user needs help. Or perhaps they could use the app to search for common issues or FAQ's or something like that. Now THAT would be cool!

#10 ·
do my homework? ha iv spent hours and hours trying reading up on my novel along with how to fi my problem and trying to figure out what i was doin and why! to no avail.... Im a 22 year old college graduate but im a hockey player and not amazingly computer savy! I just want to use my novel as a simple android tabet! so im doing my best to try and retain information but some of it is overload to me! so any kind of info is welcome... i understand it doesnt seem like iv read up on this subject but i have, and it seemed simple on youtube but i im getting that error screen so just frustratin!! thanks,.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
do my homework? ha iv spent hours and hours trying reading up on my novel along with how to fi my problem and trying to figure out what i was doin and why! to no avail.... Im a 22 year old college graduate but im a hockey player and not amazingly computer savy! I just want to use my novel as a simple android tabet! so im doing my best to try and retain information but some of it is overload to me! so any kind of info is welcome... i understand it doesnt seem like iv read up on this subject but i have, and it seemed simple on youtube but i im getting that error screen so just frustratin!! thanks,.
Wow, I'm really surprised that you didn't find your answer around here in the forums. All us folks at Slatedroid must be a bunch of effin morons if it is really that unclear,disorganized and unhelpful AND missing the answers. Again, do yourself a favor and read the info provided in the links that were previously mentioned.

Again, from the wiki - link is at the top of the page: http://www.slatedroid.com/wiki/index.php/Introduction_to_the_Pandigital_Novel

#12 ·
Once again.. I thank you for your advice.. and you are right about YouTube contributions.. You can find mine at http://youtube.com/jwprohosting

A series of videos that I posted to give back some things I learned found from READING forums and such.

Just a note: this was about my fifth time ever posting a question to a forum. But, it seems that my question, and your help,have also helped Andry.. so I guess it was worth it..

Cheers!

Jeff

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Okay, I get it- opportunity for shameless self-plugging and app advertising- or shall I say using an app as a marketing tool....nice.....I got tricked into this one. Glad you got everything sorted out. And hope you get some more visits of off this one.

#14 ·
no you guys arent morons. ha if anything im the moron but this isn't my cup a tea i guess.. I just find theres alot information for sure! i just need the order or the information on what i need to zip to my sd card so that i can have the basic android tablet with market.! like i said iv tried reading and all i keep getting on my novel is the droid with the exclamation lol.. im working at fixing it but im not that knowlagable and thought maybe someone could just tell me what exact files to copy over and simply have that! but if not thats fine il keep reading and trying to work at it,, no reason to get snappy ha.. like i said.. not exacly a computer guy.. thanks for the heads up on the links tho

#15 ·
I wouldn't recommend doing what that kid on YouTube says to do. Went that route weeks ago. Problem is I firmwared from Pandigital, which I'm finding now was a bad choice.. because of some loop thing.. Followed the instructions 'meticulously' at the big ATTN sign.. problem is somewhere along the way I started to get the Triangle guy again.. and it did weird stuff to my sdcard. I don't have that half partition thing anymore.. In fact, my pc doesn't even recognize the internal card anymore.. and my sdcard now points to the PD_Novel folder. Which I guess I can work with, now that I know where it is.. It still debugs in Eclipse (TG). but, I don't have root access. my market still doesn't work. Google Apps otherwise seems to work. Would really love to see my internal sdcard again. I have tried to 'restore' my tablet back to factory, the whole 'erase everything' thing.. and it brings my build back to jan 1, 2011 (I have white table).. and the kernel goes back to one before I firmwared it..

#16 ·
No actually not plugging.. But, you seemed to think that people just want free help without doing any work. I just showed you work that I've done, so, you wouldn't see that i was lazy.. and that like you.. I am also willing to help others. The link to my YouTube page is free.. Work that I did through research and help from people like you. And recorded it and shared it with the world.. Free.. just like I got it.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
Not really impressed, nor interested in how you elect promote yourself or use your free time.

I am just simply offering up some simple solutions to common questions. If you hadn't noticed, it didn't appear there was a was a big jump in participation because the same questions had been answered in about 50 other posts and within the wiki itself.
And of course, they're called common questions because, well- they are commonly asked...and have many,many times already been answered in the resources provided and mentioned earlier.

I'm not really amused with going in circles here-so bottom line is:

The answers you two are looking for have both been provided and noted that they exist here in the board. What you choose to do with that information is entirely up to you.
Good luck.

#18 ·
Hey, why not make a "Slatedroid" free app that quickly links to the wiki and other areas when a user needs help. Or perhaps they could use the app to search for common issues or FAQ's or something like that. Now THAT would be cool!

*** That would be cool.. it could cross with other forums also.. I had to use 3 forums to get the php/mysql issues solved.

#21 ·
If this helps everybody with this machine,I happen to come across DarkLord's easyroot kit from xda,supposed to root almost anything...Well it offically does! I tried it and came with working superuser,and busybox,I know this works,I downloaded the yaffsExpert app from here,Hope this helps,let me know on any more info..

#26 ·
ok so i updated to latest firmware and tried flashing the combo pack one to rooot and i didt know where to place the file anybody know where to??
ialso lost es file explorer and the slide me market frm my apps anybody know how to fix and where i can placethe file??
dcim?? root of sd card didnt work or in the pandigital folder??

#30 ·
PD_Novel is the internal card, the external will be SD card.

Did you ever get those apps when you originally flashed? The S20 FW must be flashed twice, the second flash installs the apps that come with the unit. Most prefer to flash from the external SD card as it is easier to do something with if something should go wrong.

#32 ·
I just installed all the enhancements found under kewlguys forum post and they work.

Just had one question. When I accessed the market app, i signed in with my google account, and it went to the home screen. Then the market popped back up and it said it cannot connect to it and it prompts me to retry to connect to the market.

I reinstalled and still same problem. The problem is not signing in, its accessing the market homescreen.

Please Help!

#33 ·
You may want to try to move the date back one day, and try again. Sometimes moving the date backwards and forwards 24 hours several times will get it working. Then download a free app real quick after you get in to lock in the market hack. This information is all over the place, including in the WIKI.

Also, the market hack broke recently, so you may still get no matching content after you get in. If you get that, read the last 5 or 6 pages of Kewlguy's FW thread at the top of the FW development forum on how to fix that problem.

#34 ·
Has anyone rooted the 2012 wpdn? I read somewhere on the forums about changing a file to allow setting a permission and then g2g but I can't seem to find it anymore. If it's something straightforward like that I'd like to know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.