212 replies to this topic

#1 NeighboorhoodHacker

NeighboorhoodHacker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationRocklin, CA

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:57 PM

I wrote a java program with a GUI that will one click install gapps and/or root any android device.

Gingerbread Version (Android 2.3.4)
Attached File  RootThat-GB.zip   7.52MB   715 downloads

Ice Cream Sandwich Version (Android 4.0)
RootThat-ICS.zip

Posted Image

If you want to update the gapps version just download the new zip and put the /system directory in the /RootThat directory and my program will crawl the directory and send the files to the device. (For those who are ambitious and want to add other files to the /system directory just put the files in to a corresponding mock directory and my program will upload it under the install custom /system option.) ADB driver must be installed for your device and USB debugging must be enabled. Tell me what you guys think! It runs on linux windows and mac. If you use mac or linux feel free to look in the comments for help (wireless might be preferred). If you are checking this thread out for the skypad Skytex_Justin has posted instructions on how to get the adb driver installed in windows. Have fun rooting :)

Update:

Version 0.2

New Features: Mac Support

Update:

Version 0.2.1

New Features: Wireless ADB connect button.

Update:

Version 0.2.2

New Features: Reboot button ACTUALLY works heh. Stupid threads.

Update:

Version 0.3.0

New Features: Better wireless connect interface. Wireless connection defauls to 5555 which is default for the program adbWireless.

Update:

Version 0.3.1

New Features: Install custom /system folders. Make sure your device is connected and then navigate to and select the mock /system folder. My program will crawl all default folders and add anything inside them to your device. Dev's have fun!

Update:

Version 0.4.0

New Features: Let's go native look and feel!

Update:

Version 1.0.0

New Features: Polished and ready, please support this page with input!

Update:

No new version but I did update the gapps version to the latest Gingerbread release and updated root files to their newest version. I am also posting a link to an ICS version. It is hosted on my dropbox account because it is too big of file size to host on this forum.

Edited by NeighboorhoodHacker, 14 July 2012 - 02:42 AM.

• Mp4, skytex skypad usr, Loochmiester and 1 other like this

#2 snutting

snutting

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:59 PM

Thanks for creating this zip. I just ordered a Skypad yesterday after seeing all the talk about it. I will run the java app as soon as I get the pad and will let you know how it goes. Is there anything I need to have installed to run this successfully? Or do I just run the bat file?

Sorry I see what i asked about above with the ADB part! I will still let you know.

Edited by snutting, 04 September 2011 - 08:12 PM.

#3 Kairnage

Kairnage

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:57 PM

This works on all android devices! :) But for Skypad you will need these drivers:

Check out how they install the normal drivers for the skypad on the skypad site to see how to install those drivers.Skytex Firmware Upgrade Instructions

Install the drivers in the manner that they did, but do NOT restart the tablet just install the drivers while your tablet is on and connected. If you go into the zip and run:

adb devices
in command prompt to see if your device is listed there. Or to see if adb is picking up your device from a GUI open up the startwindows.bat and hit root device. This will show a list of connected devices. If your skypad appears then CHEERS :D you've done it

With the normal flash you need to reinstall the drivers every time. With your app once they are installed I assume you could root and install as many skypad as you want?

If you Like my efforts please feel free to donate, the price of Pepsi Max keeps going up. DONATE HERE

Skytex Promotional code SLATE25OFF on Skytex tablets for all Slatedroid members @ shop.skytex.com

Skytex Skypad S10 Rabid ROM Beta v1.0
Skytex Imagine 10 Rabid ROM v10 Jelly Bean
Skytex SP712 ICS Stock
HP Touchpad Dual Boot WebOs and CM9
Skytex Skypad Gemini 7" ICS Rabid ROM V1.0
Excite 10 Tegra 3 Stock ICS
Elocity A7+ Evilocity ROM
Sylvania SynetLP 7" Rooted

#4 NeighboorhoodHacker

NeighboorhoodHacker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationRocklin, CA

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:10 PM

With the normal flash you need to reinstall the drivers every time. With your app once they are installed I assume you could root and install as many skypad as you want?

Precisely ;)

#5 Kairnage

Kairnage

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:40 PM

Precisely ;)

Nice

If you Like my efforts please feel free to donate, the price of Pepsi Max keeps going up. DONATE HERE

Skytex Promotional code SLATE25OFF on Skytex tablets for all Slatedroid members @ shop.skytex.com

Skytex SP712 ICS Stock

#6 NeighboorhoodHacker

NeighboorhoodHacker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationRocklin, CA

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:28 AM

Nice

Wait I looked back at your comment and I was wondering if you could clearify. Because adb is limited to one device, if you were asking if you could root multiple devices at once, unfortunately no. Although, once you have the correct driver installed you should be able to just plug and alpha pad in and run the app if it has debugging enabled. So yes it speeds up the process as compared to flash firmware incredibly fast. Installing gapps puts 6 MB on your device. This takes about.... 15 seconds on my machine. After that a quick reboot and it's done. You don't have to do the reset button BS, then wack driver install, have the device flash and blink and what not lol; Skip it. Load the files reboot bam done.

#7 MacDeac

MacDeac

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:38 AM

It runs on linux and windows (if anyone requests I will add mac support). Have fun rooting :)

I would love to see Mac support.

#8 Kairnage

Kairnage

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:08 AM

Wait I looked back at your comment and I was wondering if you could clearify. Because adb is limited to one device, if you were asking if you could root multiple devices at once, unfortunately no. Although, once you have the correct driver installed you should be able to just plug and alpha pad in and run the app if it has debugging enabled. So yes it speeds up the process as compared to flash firmware incredibly fast. Installing gapps puts 6 MB on your device. This takes about.... 15 seconds on my machine. After that a quick reboot and it's done. You don't have to do the reset button BS, then wack driver install, have the device flash and blink and what not lol; Skip it. Load the files reboot bam done.

No I was referring to multiple devices, one at a time. I have been doing a few repairs and flashes to different devices that can be accessed from the PC and it gets monotonous doing the insert card, install, remove card, repeat. I figured I could add a couple of what I consider essential apps then one I have a decent amount of drivers installed under windows I can just plug a copy.

Skytex SP712 ICS Stock

#9 NeighboorhoodHacker

NeighboorhoodHacker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationRocklin, CA

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:29 PM

No I was referring to multiple devices, one at a time. I have been doing a few repairs and flashes to different devices that can be accessed from the PC and it gets monotonous doing the insert card, install, remove card, repeat. I figured I could add a couple of what I consider essential apps then one I have a decent amount of drivers installed under windows I can just plug a copy.

Well I am glad you found use for this :). Happy rooting :)

#10 NeighboorhoodHacker

NeighboorhoodHacker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationRocklin, CA

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:30 PM

I would love to see Mac support.

It's probably three lines of code. Unfortunately I have no mac for testing. I said if someone requested I will do this so if I throw it up with support will you try it out and give us your results?

Edited by NeighboorhoodHacker, 05 September 2011 - 12:53 PM.

#11 NeighboorhoodHacker

NeighboorhoodHacker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationRocklin, CA

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:43 PM

Hey also so have you confirmed that you have those drivers working and this program on the skypad? Mine is still in the mail back to me so I haven't tried it on that.

#12 MacDeac

MacDeac

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:46 PM

It's probably three lines of code. Unfortunately I have no mac for testing. I said if someone requested I will do this so if I throw it up with support will you try it out and give us your results?

Of course!

#13 NeighboorhoodHacker

NeighboorhoodHacker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationRocklin, CA

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:58 PM

Of course!

For those of us on linux and mac. I suggest rooting via Gingerbreak.apk My Guide For Rooting via Gingerbreak.apk and then using ADB over WIFI Widget.

To connect adb to a wireless adb device unzip and then use:
./adb connect [IP]:[PORT] //ip and port are given from adb over wifi widget and mac users change ./adb to ./adbmac

After this I believe the device should pop up in the list. I will soon write a button for connecting over wireless to avoid this.

If you don't use this method you will probably have to write some complicated driver rules.

Update:

http://www.software1...b root apk.html I couldn't find a non market way to get ADB over wireless widget haha so go ahead and grap this wireless adb apk.

Edited by NeighboorhoodHacker, 06 September 2011 - 02:10 AM.

#14 skytex_justin

skytex_justin

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:36 PM

Excellent work NeighborhoodHacker. I have tested this Java application connected by USB through ADB. I haven't tested this through wireless, but once I do I'll post the results. This was done very quickly and only took about a minute to install everything. I'm very impressed and can't wait to see what this community has to bring for our product.

#15 NeighboorhoodHacker

NeighboorhoodHacker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationRocklin, CA

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:56 PM

Excellent work NeighborhoodHacker. I have tested this Java application connected by USB through ADB. I haven't tested this through wireless, but once I do I'll post the results. This was done very quickly and only took about a minute to install everything. I'm very impressed and can't wait to see what this community has to bring for our product.

Thank you for the great feedback! If anyone request feasable features I will add them asap. :D

#16 detroitjon

detroitjon

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 02:23 PM

lurking for a few days now, having fun with my new alpha. i certainly appreciate all the help hoodhacker, but i can't seem to get this rootthat thing working. i did come up with an error when unzipping (windows 7 didn't like the <> around the error.class) though I don't see why that would prevent a start. running the windowsstart.bat just pops up a cmd window that quickly vanishes, I think it says something like "'java' is not recognized as an operable program, internal command or batch file" I have java 6 on the machine, any idea whats up?

#17 detroitjon

detroitjon

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 02:31 PM

ah! i got the prog to start but I can't connect wirelessly. What port do i use?

#18 NeighboorhoodHacker

NeighboorhoodHacker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationRocklin, CA

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:23 PM

ah! i got the prog to start but I can't connect wirelessly. What port do i use?

Well to see what port you must use you have to open up the adbwireless widget and go to the settings to see what it uses. What adbwireless app are you using if one at all? If you have no idea what I am talking about there is an apk download up above with adbWireless

On adb wireless you will have an ip address and port number under the red button. It will show up like xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:port #

Edited by NeighboorhoodHacker, 06 September 2011 - 03:27 PM.

#19 detroitjon

detroitjon

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:37 PM

after a few fits and starts, it's all working beautifully now (though i couldn't get square to install, that's their problem, not mine). thanks for the clean gapps install!

#20 NeighboorhoodHacker

NeighboorhoodHacker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationRocklin, CA

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:59 PM

after a few fits and starts, it's all working beautifully now (though i couldn't get square to install, that's their problem, not mine). thanks for the clean gapps install!

Awesome! Glad to hear you got this working. Could you please post your operating system and version plus what device you rooted in a reply if anyone has success!