Photo

Rooting the Skypad Alpha (B motherboard)

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 NeighboorhoodHacker

NeighboorhoodHacker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationRocklin, CA

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:33 PM

Hey guys this is my first tutorial so I am definitely open to scrutiny and if anyone needs any help just leave me a comment.

1.Downloading gingerbreak v1.20

You will want to download this on your android device or put it on an sd card.
Download: Gingerbreak v1.20

2.Installing

The file should now be in your downloads folder. Go ahead and open up Astro file manager and navigate to your downloads folder by clicking home and then downloads. Then click on the gingerbreak file and follow through with the install process.

3.Root!

Posted Image

When you enter the app after installation it should look something like the above picture. Go ahead and click root device. On success the device will reboot. Once rebooted, type su and do as you please.

As Skytex_Joe has pointed out, this root will probably work for both motherboards. I have only confirmed that it has worked on the b board, though. If someone wants to try it out on the other board feel free to post your results.

Edited by NeighboorhoodHacker, 29 August 2011 - 11:21 PM.

#2 Zniper1

Zniper1

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:10 AM

Since I'm new to this stuff, I have to ask this: is the rooting process that easy, or am I missing something? I'm asking because, next week, I'll order my SkyPad too, but I want to be sure that i'll be able to enjoy it at full cappacity. :)

Also, had anyone tried this on a A mobo?

#3 Kairnage

Kairnage

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:39 AM

Since I'm new to this stuff, I have to ask this: is the rooting process that easy, or am I missing something? I'm asking because, next week, I'll order my SkyPad too, but I want to be sure that i'll be able to enjoy it at full cappacity. :)

Also, had anyone tried this on a A mobo?

Gingerbreak will work on either, as will NH's root app. If you happen to get an A I would gor with the Singularity custom image. Roger's stuff is killer.

If you Like my efforts please feel free to donate, the price of Pepsi Max keeps going up. DONATE HERE

Skytex Promotional code SLATE25OFF on Skytex tablets for all Slatedroid members @ shop.skytex.com

Skytex Skypad S10 Rabid ROM Beta v1.0
Skytex Imagine 10 Rabid ROM v10 Jelly Bean
Skytex SP712 ICS Stock
HP Touchpad Dual Boot WebOs and CM9
Skytex Skypad Gemini 7" ICS Rabid ROM V1.0
Excite 10 Tegra 3 Stock ICS
Elocity A7+ Evilocity ROM
Sylvania SynetLP 7" Rooted

#4 Zniper1

Zniper1

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:40 PM

But what exactly is that Singularity image (or ROM, if Im not mistaking)? Is it like an OS upgrade? Also, if I choose the Gingerbreak rooting app, do I have to have anything else installed (someone said something of SU, but Im not sure) and, more important, do i just have to put the app archive on the SD card and just run it?

Once again, please excuse me if I put silly and stupid questions.

#5 Kairnage

Kairnage

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 03:20 PM

But what exactly is that Singularity image (or ROM, if Im not mistaking)? Is it like an OS upgrade? Also, if I choose the Gingerbreak rooting app, do I have to have anything else installed (someone said something of SU, but Im not sure) and, more important, do i just have to put the app archive on the SD card and just run it?

Once again, please excuse me if I put silly and stupid questions.

Singularity is a custom rom, the thread is right here in this section. It is a custom OS replacement, but it currently only works on rev A units.

If you want to root yourself just copy the Gingerbreak apk onto an sd card or onto your pad by using the usb connection then run it. Gingerbreak install Superuser(SU) for you.

As far as the Google Apps go, you do not have to install them. On this pad they really don't hurt performance, but if you can live without Market to get your APK from then you probably don't need them.

If you Like my efforts please feel free to donate, the price of Pepsi Max keeps going up. DONATE HERE

Skytex Promotional code SLATE25OFF on Skytex tablets for all Slatedroid members @ shop.skytex.com

Skytex SP712 ICS Stock

#6 Zniper1

Zniper1

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:36 PM

Thanks for the info, I got the overall idea. :)

If I'll have any problems when my tablet arrives, I won't hesitate to ask.

#7 NeighboorhoodHacker

NeighboorhoodHacker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationRocklin, CA

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:19 PM

Thanks for the info, I got the overall idea. :)

If I'll have any problems when my tablet arrives, I won't hesitate to ask.

I've posted elsewhere but my tablet is broken, so if you have questions I will do my best but for being specific I might not be able to help. If you give skytex a call though they are always helpful. :)

#8 Zniper1

Zniper1

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:29 AM

Since I'm not from the US, I can't call them; unless they have Skype support, lol.

Anyway, if not you (sorry for your tablet BTW), maybe some other folks will take a look at my questions. :)

#9 NeighboorhoodHacker

NeighboorhoodHacker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationRocklin, CA

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:56 AM

Since I'm not from the US, I can't call them; unless they have Skype support, lol.

Anyway, if not you (sorry for your tablet BTW), maybe some other folks will take a look at my questions. :)

Well I'm guessing it's an English speaking country because you speak great english. I was just curious though; How come you wouldn't be able to call them? You should be able to reach out using the full 10 digit phone number 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX

#10 Zniper1

Zniper1

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:33 AM

Actually, I do speak English, but it is not my mother language. Oh, and I could call them - the only issue is that it would cost me like $2/minute. :D

#11 NeighboorhoodHacker

NeighboorhoodHacker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationRocklin, CA

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:42 AM

Actually, I do speak English, but it is not my mother language. Oh, and I could call them - the only issue is that it would cost me like $2/minute. :D

Yikes.... I wonder if you could get free calls in the U.S. over google voice. Worth a try

#12 Skytex_Joe

Skytex_Joe

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:24 AM

Skype support actually isn't a bad idea. If there's anything we can answer you through the board or online support, I can probably arrange something over skype.

#13 Zniper1

Zniper1

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:33 PM

NH, I tried - no luck.

Joe, IF there is any problem with my tablet when it arrives, I'll surely ask you for a short Skype call. Anyway, thanks for your offer.

'Nuff off-topic. :)

Edited by Zniper1, 13 September 2011 - 12:34 PM.

#14 NeighboorhoodHacker

NeighboorhoodHacker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationRocklin, CA

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:09 PM

NH, I tried - no luck.

Joe, IF there is any problem with my tablet when it arrives, I'll surely ask you for a short Skype call. Anyway, thanks for your offer.

'Nuff off-topic. :)

What exactly happened when you opened gingerbreak? I find sometimes I wasn't patient enough and stopped it before it rooted. If you ran the app, hit root and it didn't follow through and then reboot what did happen? Also you must make sure that on that downloads page you grabbed version 1.2 as all others will fail.

#15 Uriel

Uriel

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:54 PM

What exactly happened when you opened gingerbreak? I find sometimes I wasn't patient enough and stopped it before it rooted. If you ran the app, hit root and it didn't follow through and then reboot what did happen? Also you must make sure that on that downloads page you grabbed version 1.2 as all others will fail.

Hi. I got a skypad ver A , even it has the Gingerbread 2.3.3 on board. It works fine, and I rooted it and so on, I am able to access it with ADB using Ubuntu , but for some reason gapps doesn't works.No way to add a G account nor to make gmail work.

My doubt is that I rooted everything but <whatever> then my "root" is not that root, or something similar.

Is there any difference with A that makes my "rooting" somehow different, in your opinion?

thanks in advance,

Uriel Fanelli

#16 Zniper1

Zniper1

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:51 AM

Hah, you got me wrong, I didn't even ordered it yet; in fact, I need just 40 more bucks on my mTurk account to be able to place the order. =)

Anyway, looking forward to it. Until now, I was oscillating between a Coby Kyros "7 and this; but I have no more doubts - Skypad is better.

#17 NeighboorhoodHacker

NeighboorhoodHacker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationRocklin, CA

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:32 AM

Hah, you got me wrong, I didn't even ordered it yet; in fact, I need just 40 more bucks on my mTurk account to be able to place the order. =)

Anyway, looking forward to it. Until now, I was oscillating between a Coby Kyros "7 and this; but I have no more doubts - Skypad is better.

I probably misread while in class. My bad. Suppose I shouldn't rush posting like that? haha

#18 NeighboorhoodHacker

NeighboorhoodHacker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationRocklin, CA

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:38 AM

Hi. I got a skypad ver A , even it has the Gingerbread 2.3.3 on board. It works fine, and I rooted it and so on, I am able to access it with ADB using Ubuntu , but for some reason gapps doesn't works.No way to add a G account nor to make gmail work.

My doubt is that I rooted everything but <whatever> then my "root" is not that root, or something similar.

Is there any difference with A that makes my "rooting" somehow different, in your opinion?

thanks in advance,

Uriel Fanelli

If you have a gapps question please ask it under a gapps topic so those else who are interested can get the information you find.

#19 Kairnage

Kairnage

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:01 AM

I probably misread while in class. My bad. Suppose I shouldn't rush posting like that? haha

I think your teacher might consider the "in class" part more the key. LOL

Skytex SP712 ICS Stock

#20 NeighboorhoodHacker

NeighboorhoodHacker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationRocklin, CA

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:13 AM

I think your teacher might consider the "in class" part more the key. LOL

I could teach that class and I know my teacher knows that. He doesn't bother me; we chat, it's nice :)