Android Tablets Forum banner

T103 persistent rootfs / init.rc?

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  rocketero 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Does anyone know of a way to make persistent changes to files on the rootfs partition? I'm trying to edit the startup script (/init.rc,) and after remounting the rootfs as read-write, I am able to make changes. However, when the tablet is rebooted, the changes are lost.

Is this impossible without a custom ROM? If so, does anyone know of any way to execute commands upon boot without modifying the rootfs partition? My main objectives are to make the tablet automatically do a chmod 777 to /etc/wifi/* and to execute dropbear so I can SSH into the device without having to ADB into it. Gets awfully tiresome having to throw commands at it every time there's a reboot.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Perhaps I should add that it doesn't even have to be a persistent RW rootfs... If anyone knows of anything that could be exploited on the T10(x) devices to allow for root-permissioned code to be run on startup, I'd be grateful. I've looked through the init.rc file and don't see a whole lot that could be done. Are there any commands in the /data mountpoint that are executed at boot time? My thinking is that if there are, I could replace one of those binaries with a shell script that would execute the original command along with my intended boot time commands (ex: chmod 777 /etc/wifi/* and dropbear,) which could lead to so much more that we could do on these devices!

Hopefully I'm not talking above too many heads here, but since Velocity has been so piss-poor in the hackability department with these products (and against the GNU license,) modifying startup commands may very well be the closest thing we can ever have to running custom ROMs. I'd be willing to write some scripts and release them on here in order to help rekindle the hackability factor of these devices. IMO, the Cruz tablets have so much untapped potential - I'd really like to see development flourish. So if anyone has any ideas, let's put our heads together and make it happen. Just because these are MIPS tablets with Nazi-like firmware loaders doesn't mean that they have to die quietly!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.