Android Tablets Forum banner

[GUIDE] Cruz T10x / T301: Rooting, Dalvik Turbo, Removing Bloatware, Gapps & Market & More

361K views 517 replies 172 participants last post by  Marlvalous30 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey all,

I know there's a lot of scattered info on how to improve the Cruz T10x / T301 but I wanted to create a single topic to consolidate all this knowledge.
The guides you find here are for the Android 2.2.1 (froyo) version of the Cruz T301 / Carrefour CT702 AND the Android 2.2.1 (froyo) version of the Cruz T10x.
They are also very easy to use, just copy and paste it into the command prompt and adb will batch process these commands.

If u have the 2.0 version, please update by downloading the latest T301 update from the official site. The T10x froyo update can also be found on the official site.
U will need to put the update.zip on an SD card and boot while holding down the volume up key to start the update (power+volume up gets you into recovery).

I have also uploaded the required tools (apk's and files) that are needed for these guides. Click here to get them
In order for the batch commands to work, you'll need to extract this archive in the android SDK's platform-tools folder.

Let's get started!
First of all, to perform these steps you will the Android SDK platform tools
For this tutorial I'm going to assume the SDK is set up at C:\SDK.
So we open up command prompt and type the following:
Code:
cd C:\SDK<br />
cd platform-tools
Now let's make sure our device is connected:
Code:
adb devices
Once you get a response, you can go ahead and try out the following guides:

#ROOT DEVICE (credits to zires)
You will need a rooted device for the following steps, so here's how to root the T301:

Code:
adb shell mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system<br />
adb shell cat /system/bin/sh > /system/bin/su<br />
adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su<br />
adb shell sync<br />
adb reboot
#INSTALL DALVIK TURBO MIPS (T301 only!)
This installs Myriad Dalvik Turbo VM for MIPS which increases the performance of your device.
The version of the Dalvik Turbo VM is 2.2 froyo hard-float.

Code:
adb remount<br />
adb push libdvm.so /system/lib/libdvm.so<br />
adb shell rm /data/dalvik-cache/*.dex<br />
adb shell sync<br />
adb reboot
#REMOVE BLOAT
This removes all the bloatware that comes with the device and leaves you with plenty of free space in /system/app which is required for the following step.

Code:
adb remount<br />
adb shell rm /system/app/ASTRO_2_5_3-70-foxconn.apk<br />
adb shell rm /system/app/com.anddoes.fancywidget-1.apk<br />
adb shell rm /system/app/com.workpail.inkpad.notepad.notes.apk<br />
adb shell rm /system/app/CruzMarket.apk<br />
adb shell rm /system/app/CruzSync-release-2010-07-10.apk<br />
adb shell rm /system/app/CruzUserGuide.apk<br />
adb shell rm /system/app/DreyeForAndroidTablet.apk<br />
adb shell rm /system/app/ebuddy-android-live-20100720.apk<br />
adb shell rm /system/app/facebook-mobile-v1.1.apk<br />
adb shell rm /system/app/LiveWallpapers.apk<br />
adb shell rm /system/app/LiveWallpapersPicker.apk<br />
adb shell rm /system/app/MobileSudokuFree.apk<br />
adb shell rm /system/app/Napster-Phone-1544-vmicro.apk<br />
adb shell rm /system/app/OfficeSuite_Full_1.5_282.apk<br />
adb shell rm /system/app/Solitaire_1.12.1.apk<br />
adb shell rm /system/app/Term.apk<br />
adb shell rm /system/app/TwidroydFree344-final-rev1.apk<br />
adb shell rm /system/app/UerWallpapers.apk<br />
adb shell sync<br />
adb reboot
#PUSH GAPPS, MARKET & EXTRAS
This will install Google Apps, Market and a couple extra apps that are not available in the market or are required for vending.apk (Android Market) to function correctly.
The included Android Market is the latest version (v3.1.3). YouTube is at version 2.0.26 (newer version caused problems in HQ mode). Here's a list of what's included:
- Android Market 3.1.3
- Google Maps 5.9.0
- Google Books 1.1.4
- Google Talk 1.3
- OI File Manager 1.16
- Facebook 1.6.4
- Twitter 2.1.2
- Spare Parts 2.3.5
- YouTube 2.0.26

Also, the quicksearchbox has been replaced by the default Google Search one.

Be advised, removing bloat is required before installing gapps since you will need some free space in /system/app

Code:
adb remount<br />
adb push AppWidgetPicker.apk /system/app/AppWidgetPicker.apk<br />
adb push BooksPhone.apk /system/app/Booksphone.apk<br />
adb push Facebook.apk /system/app/Facebook.apk<br />
adb push FileManager.apk /system/app/FileManager.apk<br />
adb push GoogleBackupTransport.apk /system/app/GoogleBackupTransport.apk<br />
adb push GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk /system/app/GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk<br />
adb push GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk /system/app/GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk<br />
adb push GoogleFeedback.apk /system/app/GoogleFeedback.apk<br />
adb push GooglePartnerSetup.apk /system/app/GooglePartnerSetup.apk<br />
adb push GoogleServicesFramework.apk /system/app/GoogleServicesFramework.apk<br />
adb push kickback.apk /system/app/kickback.apk<br />
adb push Maps.apk /system/app/Maps.apk<br />
adb push MediaUploader.apk /system/app/MediaUploader.apk<br />
adb push NetworkLocation.apk /system/app/NetworkLocation.apk<br />
adb push OneTimeInitializer.apk /system/app/OneTimeInitializer.apk<br />
adb push QuickSearchBox.apk /system/app/QuickSearchBox.apk<br />
adb push MarketUpdater.apk /system/app/MarketUpdater.apk<br />
adb push soundback.apk /system/app/soundback.apk<br />
adb push SpareParts.apk /system/app/SpareParts.apk<br />
adb push Talk.apk /system/app/Talk.apk<br />
adb push Twitter.apk /system/app/Twitter.apk<br />
adb push Vending.apk /system/app/Vending.apk<br />
adb push YouTube.apk /system/app/YouTube.apk<br />
adb reboot<br />
Finally, you can leave out a couple of steps when removing bloatware (if u want to keep an app) or when installing the gapps & extras (if u don't want to install every app). However keep in mind that for the Android Market to function properly, some dependent apk's must be installed (like GoogleServicesFramework, Talk, ..).
The following can be skipped without any issues: Twitter, Facebook, Maps, SpareParts, BookPhone (Google Books) and FileManager.

There you go, your device will be ready to go from here on. I do advice to perform a Factory data reset after these steps, just to clean out the system.
To do this, go to Settings -> Privacy -> Factory data reset. This will not reset your system apps, root or dalvik turbo.

#ENABLE WIFI AD-HOC
This will allow your Cruz to connect to WiFi ad-hoc networks (e.g. tethering to phone).
You can find the steps here: (credits to fbelleri)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=11828472&postcount=4

Hope this thread helps you all out

ps if anyone has a guide on how to install busybox or maybe other useful stuff, feel free to contact me so I can add it to this post

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey all,

I know there's a lot of scattered info on how to improve the Cruz T301 but I wanted to create a single topic to consolidate all this knowledge.
The guides you find here are for the Android 2.2 (froyo) version of the Cruz T301 / Carrefour CT702 only.
They are also very easy to use, just copy and paste it into the command prompt and adb will batch process these commands...
Great Job on putting all these steps together! Anyone get the Dalvik Turbo working on a T10x series tablet?

#5 ·
OK, the download started working. I guess I was too impatient.
Now, I'm stuck at the top.

So we open up command prompt and type the following:
cd C:\SDK
cd platform-tools
Now let's make sure our device is connected:
adb devices

I didn't get a platform-tools directory using the install linked to.

#8 ·
See my post just above yours. When you run the SDK, it creates the directory. If it does not, it is because the SDK cannot create it. Run the SDK as administrator, and it iwll create the directory.

Also, I had to use the rooting process the OP linked to, as his shorter procedure would't work for me.

#106 ·
Did you figure this out? I am unable to get any devices to show up when typing ADB DEVICES as shown above. I have mounted the Tablet and all files are viewable through the PC and shows up in Device manager, but will not find device using the Command Prompt ADB DEVICES command.
Thanks in advance

#12 ·
I only get "???????????? no permissions" with linux. I'm not allowed access into the t301. In Ubuntu I tried sudo ./adb devices and that is all I keep getting. I remember doing this before (with the older OS installed on T301) and I WAS able to get in before. This latest flash ver. is locked tight.

Dan

#16 ·
Worked Amazing also with the new T103 Froyo 2.2 update. The only issue I have is trying to get my head to wrap around the Rooting process cause I still get that error message

Code:
adb shell cat /system/bin/sh > /system/bin/su<br />
yields system cannot find the path specified.
I don't know for sure how to run CMD as an admin so if someone could elaborate that would be stupendous.

#17 ·
Found out some more looking into

Code:
adb devices
my devices shows
Code:
INGENIC108A offline
I can't for the life of me find out how to get it to show online or available. Any hints?
(I already have switched cables 3 times to see if its a cable issue)

#18 ·
Strange... can you do an adb shell and get to a rootshell? If so, try this:

adb shell
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
ln -s /system/bin/sh /system/bin/su

Works like a charm for me. If you ever want to get even further into this device, see my post about getting dropbear working on the T10x series. Being able to ssh into your tablet and not having to rely on adb for terminal access is a beautiful thing.

Sent from my T104 using Tapatalk

#20 ·
Once I install the Root commands it doesn't auto install superuser APK, so I manually do it. here is the concern though, on my phone when I user a root required app it then states "Granted superuser permission" but on the t103 when I use a root app it doesn't say anything on the app but I can use functions. For example I use Cachemate for Root and it says it clears my cache even though it doesn't say it was granted superuser apps.

#22 ·
Just got this to work - wanna thank OP and everyone else who's put work into this! Fantastic guide!

On a related note, I may make a Youtube video detailing the step-by-step for doing this for further ease-of-comprehension for newbies. Seriously though, thanks everyone who helped with the steps in this guide!

#23 ·
Let's get started!
First of all, to perform these steps you will the Android SDK platform tools

Try to run this and it states you need the java JDK. After installing the Java SE 7 JDK the Android SDK still tells me to visit the java website and install the java sdk. I've installed it twice and rebooted. Any ideas? Could it be a newer version of java causing problems?

thanks in adavance
Danno

#24 ·
OK, first thing I learned is to d/l the .zip file not the .exe installer.
Second there was no "platform-tools" directory. Had to go run android.bat and install some stuff for it to appear. THAT was confusing for a bit.
Third "adb shell cat /system/bin/sh > /system/bin/su" showed the same result as freyerbrand had "system cannot find the path specified.". Found another post somewhere that typed "shell" FIRST which brought one to a # from which the commands worked fine. Not sure why "adb shell" didn't work.

Just for those who don't know about pasting into MS-DOS - first select the text commands provided (you can select ALL of them; you don't have to copy and past line by line) then go to your dos window and RIGHT click and select PASTE.

Thanks
danneauxs

#25 ·
I followed the instructions and it appeared to work; however, I saw no speed increase on the tablet. So, I decided to try it again. This time the reboot screen is stuck at the CRUZ title. I can still reboot the tablet using DOS, but it will not move past the CRUZ screen. Any advice on how to move past this point?

Thanks.

#27 · (Edited by Moderator)
Feyerbrand: That's what I mean when I say that I have never gotten the Super User app working properly on my tablet. The commands I listed above only replace the "su" command with "sh," automatically granting most root-requiring apps with root access. It is a simple hack that does detract from security, unfortunately, in that the Super User app is not consulted when an app needs root priveleges.

However, that is not to say that it couldn't be accomplished -- I have just never bothered to dig into it.

Sent from my T104 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.