Android Tablets Forum banner

HP Touchpad price headed for toilet - REASON TO BUY?

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  dryster 
#1 ·
Hi,

16 GB Touchpads selling out at $99 in CA.
I have ZERO knowledge about programming etc.
Was wondering if there might be a chance someone would mod Android OS to run an HP Touchpad?
Seems like the only problem is the OS

thanks

#4 ·
Yes but because of discontinuing the Touchpad there was a Fire Sale on them in Canada & USA. Every big store and HP website SOLD OUT of the TouchPad in about 4-5 hours. They were selling the 16GB for $99 & 32GB for $149.

The biggest problem with the TouchPad is the OS. People care more about iOS & Android and that is where you will see lots and lots of applications. Developers do not care about making programs for WebOS. Same problem on PlayBook and why they were looking into doing some type of "Alien Dalvik" to run Android apps.

Same thing with x86 on the Desktop. Most x86 users run Windows and 2nd most MacOS X. If you add up the # of users with these two OSes you would get about 95% or higher of the desktop OS market. Linux, BSD & other OSes take up a very small percentage.

Had the TouchPad run Android then it would have sold way better in retail. It really is not how good your OS is but about how many applications and developers you can get. This is why the TouchPad & PlayBook are not doing well by using their own OSes. HP's mistake was thinking that by having a better OS they could convince people to run out and buy the TouchPad but they failed to realize that Android & iOS have huge momentum, are unstoppable and the most popular OSes that consumers want.

#5 ·
I agree with the last post and was amazed how quickly HP dropped the device, maybe they should have ran to a back room and constructed a Honeycomb ROM for the thing instead of dropping all their users. I expect the Blackberry device may also fall by the wayside in the next twelve months, leaving a highly fragmented Android market to battle it out with Apple. If the frenzy I observed in one Apple store last week is typical, then Android, despite the communities wish for it to be an iOS killer, may also in time be retired. I'm not a fanboy, I do own an iOS device though and it does work exceptionally well. I'm hearing bad news about honeycomb on various devices, so we'll just have to wait and see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.