248 replies to this topic

#41 wicknix

wicknix

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:48 AM

The fbcon module can be built separately from the kernel. That's the same way the extra wm8650 bluetooth modules were built in another forum post. They then can be just copied into place and used. Hopefully hertog can build those required modules. Otherwise in a few weeks when i have time i can set up an arm cross compiler and build them. (currently only have a mips cross compiler set up for a different device).

Cheers
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver...

#42 seba1978

seba1978

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:38 AM

Hold on, fbcon should already be in the android kernel. Try to remove /lib/modules/2.6.29-00234-g4f8dbbb-dirty altogether and rerun depmod -a.
Or alternatively, use the attached file.

Attached Files

#43 PADMAN

PADMAN

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:40 AM

Hi seba1978,
thanks for the modules.dep file. I have already deleted the old /lib/modules/2.6.29-00234-g4f8dbbb-dirty folder and ran depmod -a, which did nothing for the keyboard problem. Then I tried your modules.deb file, also to no avail.

udev is not running (ps -A | grep udev), and attempts to start it manually are answered by an error message: FATAL:Could not load module fbcon.
I think I remeber you said you own a Wm8650 based netbook and have it running debian. Since this works for you, maybe the kernel makes the difference ?
I use the Uberoid V7.2 kernel in my experiments, its exact size is 3072136 Bytes. Could you please check if you use a different kernel ? If so, please post it...maybe this will help.

However, when I tried WiFi after my keaboard experiments, ra0 is present and functional. So at least the WiFi problem is gone....no clue whether this was fixed by my own depmod -a command or your modules.dep file

best regards, PADMAN
Flytouch 2 (semi-official FW 3656)
generic MID V7 (WM8650)
Generic WM8850 MID dual camera (Uberoid JellyBean 0.7)
Coby Kyros MID1125 (stock FW)
TinJin i9220 MTK6575 phone (stock FW)

#44 seba1978

seba1978

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:13 AM

Ooops yes, the size is different... Sorry, we should've started there :-)
On the other hand, the internal camera is actually working - my code was just wrong somehow...
Still stuck with the bad sound quality though - I'd be interested to know if you get the same problem?

Attached Files

#45 PADMAN

PADMAN

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:42 AM

Hi seba1978,
this looked really promising - but isn't :unsure:

I exchanged my kernel for yours, and also copied your modules.dep to the /lib/modules/2.6.32.9-default/ folder, still the same error; no udev, and the fatal error when starting it manually.
Using dmesg I confirmed again that my keyboard is detected when plugged in, but no keyboard response.....

Are you sure that fbcon is compiled into the kernel, and not added as a dynamically loaded module ?

Other than that, I have not tested sound on my device yet....how did you do this ? I have not yet found a player for sound files....

Anyway, thanks for your effort :D

greetz, PADMAN
generic MID V7 (WM8650)

#46 seba1978

seba1978

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:42 AM

Mmm, this puzzles me... I am sure that I don't have any fbcon.ko module hanging around. Is /sys/class/graphics/fbcon/ present?
I am starting to suspect a udev misconfiguration. How about:
grep /etc/udev/ -r -e fb
grep /lib/udev/ -r -e fb

As for the sound, I just use the command line: aplay <filename> (if it's not there: apt-get install alsa-utils)

Anyway, have you tried to hardcode the keyboard in xorg.conf? By adding something like:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "keyboard"
Driver "evdev"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/event2"
EndSection

and in the "ServerLayout" section:
InputDevice "keyboard" "CoreKeyboard"

#47 PADMAN

PADMAN

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:50 AM

*** SUCCESS *** :yahoo:

Seba, You are the man !!! I tried hardcoding the keyboard in the xorg.conf before, but obviously with the wrong parameters....back then, it did not work, now it does !!!

As a downside, with your kernel, somehow ra0 is gone again....but I actually don't mind, I am positive I will get it working again, maybe with my old (Uberoid) kernel, maybe by insmodding the necessary modules.

The point is, I now can use my keyboard instead of typing on the touchscreen, which I hate when using the console.

Great work, thank you very much. I am now going to pull an image of my sdcard (just to be sure), as soon as ra0 is working again I will publish the image for everyone to use. Credits go to you, of course :drinks:

Thanks for your patience and your effort !

EDIT: Got ra0 working again, by exchanging the rt3070_sta.ko module included with the one from zombah published in this thread. The two modules differ in size, at least, and while the supplied module returned an "Wrong module format" error, the module from zombah works fine.
I also added all the other modules from zombah, so we can experiment with them.

I will now pull another image and find a filespace supplier who allows BIG files :rolleyes:

EDIT2: My image is now online at www.filefactory.com at the following URL:
http://www.filefacto...8650_0.2.img.7z

Open the URL, scroll down, click on "slow download", wait your 30sec and download (bout 321Megs).
When you have the file, unpack it and transfer to a 4GB sdcard using the following command:
dd if=/path/to/image/debian_wm8650_0.2.img.7z of=/dev/sdx

Replace the path with your actual path to the .img-file, and sdx with the device name of your sdcard reader.
CAUTION: If you mess up the device name with, e.g. your harddisk, the image will be written to your harddisk, destroying all data !!!
If you are unsure which device is your sdcard reader, connect the reader, start a terminal and enter "gparted". From the size of each drive you should be able to distinguish your sdcard reader from your harddisk(s).

Other thoughts: The image was made from a 4GGB sdcard, containing only a 1GB ext2 partition and a 35Mb FAT16 partition, which is a waste of space. Feel free to enlarge the ext2 to use the space. I had no other sdcard at hand, sorry.....

@hertog: If you find it useful, you may want to include the link I posted on the first page of this thread, so it won't be hidden on page 3.
Please give credit to seba1978, he deserves it :D

best regards,
PADMAN

Edited by PADMAN, 20 September 2011 - 12:58 PM.

generic MID V7 (WM8650)

#48 seba1978

seba1978

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:48 PM

Cool, glad I could help :-)

#49 crazyhare

crazyhare

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationW Yorks, UK.

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:19 AM

Boots and runs ok on a M009D - how can I contribute?

#50 PADMAN

PADMAN

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:59 AM

Hi crazyhare,
glad to hear it runs on your hardware, too. :D I am not familiar with the M009D, in which way is it different than a M009S ?
I have a generic MID V7, by the way.

If you want to contribute, you could test packages which you think might be useful and which I might include in future versions of this distro. Thats what I am currently doing, since I think the included set of applications is not sufficient for most users.
So far I have sucessfully tested claws-mail and pidgin ( a messenger for all kinds of portals, but without skype support, unfortunately).
Right now, I try to install openoffice.org, which will probably take all evening (380Mb to process).

Thanks in advance, PADMAN
generic MID V7 (WM8650)

#51 crazyhare

crazyhare

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationW Yorks, UK.

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:47 PM

Attached File  dmesg.txt   20.74KB   9 downloads Hmm... it appears that I spoke too soon, can't configure my network.

Exactly how the M009D differs from the M900S I can't say, but I was told that 'the M900D is the multitouch version of the M900S' - it's a long time since I last seriously messed with Linux (everything is so easy with today's distros) but I'm sure I'll soon get back into the groove. I'll examine my outputs etc once I get a moment and see what's going on with the wifi and what I find out along the way.

First thing I did was have a good look around to see what was already there, it's only when I came to trying stuff out that I noticed that there was no wifi.

Oolite and Arduino-0022 would be pretty cool packages for me :).

Edit #1
Attached my Dmesg output, interestingly my Logitec MK250 keyboard works but the accompanying mouse doesn't.

Edited by crazyhare, 21 September 2011 - 06:23 PM.

#52 seba1978

seba1978

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:48 PM

Hello,
The device I've worked on does support multitouch indeed, but X does not officially support it yet, and I haven't coded it in the driver anyway (only processing ABS_MT_POSITION_X/Y events). However, the dev version of X11 and evdev supports multitouch I believe, so that my driver may not be necessary anymore. Worth testing if somebody's up to compile/test it :-)

For WiFi, I'd suggest the same approach as for Padman's device: insmod every rt*.ko to see which one creates ra0. Then, rename it to rt...ko (without underscore) for /etc/modules to pick it up at run time. There's an automatic way to do it if you're interested however: have a look in etc/rc0.d/S40modules in the uberoid/android builds.

Now, looking at dmesg, your mouse seems to be event1, so I suggest adding this to xorg.conf:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "logitechMouse"
Driver "evdev"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/event1"
EndSection

And in the ServerLayout:
InputDevice "logitechMouse"

However, this is unclean, we really need to get udev up and running... Is /etc/init.d/udev restart working for you?

#53 crazyhare

crazyhare

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationW Yorks, UK.

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:53 AM

Option "Device" "/dev/input/event1"

Changing it to:

Option "Device" "/dev/input/event3"

Gets the mouse working, it doesn't help that I've only got one mouse/keyboard and have to keep pulling the dongle out of my pc and swapping it over to my tablet.

/etc/init.d/udev restart

Gets me the following:

FATAL: Module fbcon not found.

Gonna have to do a bit more reading on the wifi issue seeing as I've never had to configure wifi by hand before, I always compiled support for my network devices etc into my kernel so I never had to deal with module loading issues much beforehand - bad practice I know but it worked for me back in 1993 when getting my first hand-built system up and running.

Thanks for all your help and hard work to everyone who has contributed to get me this far - it's proving to be far more fun than messing about with Android.

Edited by crazyhare, 22 September 2011 - 05:54 AM.

#54 PADMAN

PADMAN

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:56 AM

Hi all,
regarding the mouse and keyboard problem, I still get the same error as you crazyhare (FATAL: Module fbcon not found.) when trying to start udev manually, however, with the modifications to the xorg.conf that seba1978 suggested the keyboard is working now. I noticed that the keaboard has to be plugged in at boot time, plugging it in later does not work.
(Since I always hotplugged my mouse, I don't know if thats true for the mouse, too....will try it out now)

Regarding your WiFi problem, crazyhare, I'd like to suggest that you get the driver from your original android firmware if the one supplied with the debian image doesn't work for you and insmod it manually.

Btw, my generic MID V7 supported multiouch too, but badly...only pinch, and I never used it.

EDIT: Hmm, when mouse and keyboard are both attached to the USB adapter, only the mouse works...will look into that later.

One important thing, does anyopne of you have a working power management ? My device simply switches off when it runs out of power.Since I think this is important, I will next work on my power mnanagement.

Happy testing, PADMAN

Edited by PADMAN, 22 September 2011 - 10:04 AM.

generic MID V7 (WM8650)

#55 ukclear

ukclear

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:07 AM

When you have the file, unpack it and transfer to a 4GB sdcard using the following command:
dd if=/path/to/image/debian_wm8650_0.2.img.7z of=/dev/sdx

Replace the path with your actual path to the .img-file, and sdx with the device name of your sdcard reader.
CAUTION: If you mess up the device name with, e.g. your harddisk, the image will be written to your harddisk, destroying all data !!!
If you are unsure which device is your sdcard reader, connect the reader, start a terminal and enter "gparted". From the size of each drive you should be able to distinguish your sdcard reader from your harddisk(s).

Other thoughts: The image was made from a 4GGB sdcard, containing only a 1GB ext2 partition and a 35Mb FAT16 partition, which is a waste of space. Feel free to enlarge the ext2 to use the space. I had no other sdcard at hand, sorry.....

thanks for posting the link PADMAN downloading it now, one question though will your debian image work on a 2GB SD card as i don't have a 4GB card?
Refurbished laptops and computers - http://www.ukclearancecentre.co.uk

#56 PADMAN

PADMAN

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:51 PM

thanks for posting the link PADMAN downloading it now, one question though will your debian image work on a 2GB SD card as i don't have a 4GB card?

Hi there, I think it won't, since its 3,7Gb in size unzipped ....sorry.

greetz, PADMAN
generic MID V7 (WM8650)

#57 crazyhare

crazyhare

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationW Yorks, UK.

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:28 AM

I renamed the old rt3070sta.ko to rt3070sta.bak and copied the one from Uberoid - that got me an ra0, now to find out how to configure it to connect to my router with dhcp - what does everyone else do?

I think the next leap-forward needs to be power-management, mine just switches off when it reaches the end of it's (short) battery life, sometimes corrupting the sd, but not always - is this compiled into the 'droid kernel or loaded as a module, and if so - can we appropriate it :).

PADMAN: I think the issue with your mouse and keyboard might be related to the amount of current the tablet's usb ports can supply.

EDIT #1:

Ran the Wifi config script and now my wifi.sh file looks like this:

#!/bin/sh
ifconfig ra0 up
wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -ira0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -P /var/run/wpa_supplicant.pid
ifconfig ra0 0.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0
route add default gw 192.168.1.1

After I run
dhcpd ra0
I get an ip address assigned and I can then reach my local network, but no further - it's getting on for 10 years since I last did this by hand, so I'm probably just doing it wrong :).

Edited by crazyhare, 25 September 2011 - 03:25 PM.

#58 seba1978

seba1978

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:47 PM

You may want to check /etc/resolv.conf for the DNS. See if something like this helps: echo "nameserver 192.168.1.1" > /etc/resolv.conf
A more long-lasting solution would be to allow ntp and dns in /etc/default/dhcpcd.

Additionally, to get dhcp to trigger automatically on ethX (not ra0) when the cable gets plugged in, you want to apt-get install netplug, and add the following in /etc/network/interfaces:
auto eth6
iface eth6 inet dhcp

For the battery, the first step is to insmod wmt_battery_md.ko (put this module in /etc/modules so that it gets automatically loaded at startup)
This gives us the battery remaining capacity in /sys/class/power_supply/wmt-battery/capacity.
Now, I suspect that desktop utilities only know the ACPI method of checking battery state, so that we'll probably have to recompile a few things to use the pseudo-file above. But I may be wrong, I'm not too familiar with power management. My 2 cents :-)

#59 ukclear

ukclear

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:16 AM

Hi there, I think it won't, since its 3,7Gb in size unzipped ....sorry.

greetz, PADMAN

Oh ok, Do you think it would work writing it to a USB harddrive attached to my laptop as i have a spare 40gb hdd hanging about, then resizing the partitions using gparted then copy the partitions on a 2gb SD card?
Refurbished laptops and computers - http://www.ukclearancecentre.co.uk

#60 PADMAN

PADMAN

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:51 AM

Hi there,

@ukclear: sure, since only 1GB is basically used, that should work. Good luck ! :)

@seba1978: Once again, you save the day. I was already wondering where we can get the battery values actually provided by the driver. Thanks once more !
While I am unable to recompile stuff atm, I currently cook up a little python script (using tk window) which reads and displays the battery capacity value in a little window on the desktop.

Its pretty ugly and basic, but maybe it works. Right now I work on getting the window to refresh every couple of seconds, I hope to also make it shutdown the netbook before the battery is dry. (= less frequently fsck due to unclear shutdown)

best regards,
PADMAN
generic MID V7 (WM8650)