248 replies to this topic

#21 wicknix

wicknix

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 28 August 2011 - 11:01 PM

seba1978: I'd also like to try your wmt_scriptcmd. Mine also fails to boot from SD and just loads Android like normal.

Cheers
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver...

#22 ukclear

ukclear

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:22 PM

Ukclear, can you give me a link the M009 firmware you are referring to ? Then I can find out what is missing / went wrong.

It was this firmware for the M009s http://www.slatedroi...ctory-firmware/
Refurbished laptops and computers - http://www.ukclearancecentre.co.uk

#23 hertog666

hertog666

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:40 PM

ukclear, thanks for the URL! I'll examine the firmware tonight!

Btw, I still haven't received my device :( (it was shipped out of Hong Kong, august 21), so i still cant test my firmware Linux port :(

#24 PADMAN

PADMAN

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:43 AM

Hi there,
I have tried booting my generic wm8650 tablet with the old debian image for the wm8505. I replaced the kernel with the Uberoid V7 kernel and added the wmt_scriptcmd to the root directory of the FAT16 partition as described by seba1978. :)

This resulted in the device booting to the desktop screen....somehow, sometimes:
Posted Image

On first boot, the device booted until the little green robots faces right, then hangs a while, then reboots. Next, the tablet boots again and comes up with the screen shown above.
No touchscreen, keyboard or mouse support, unfortunately <_<
Not much to do other than switching off again. Afterwards, it doesn't seem to boot again, or only at random patterns. I tried different sdcards, because I had a hard time getting my (new 4GB) sdcards to work using Ubuntu 10.04 (Probably somthing related to using sdhc, I work on that).

I also copied the .ko files from /lib/modules/2.6.32.9-default (Android) into /lib/modules of the sdcard EXT2 partition, but that didn't help any. I am going to have to learn much more about the debian init process, and how to configure the use of drivers etc properly. (Any hints welcome)

If anyone interested, I can post my wmt_scriptcmd here:

wmt_scriptcmd

Just put it in your FAT16 partitons root directory (NOT into /script), copy a kernel from an Android FW you like into the root directory, and it should run (erratically) as described above... Happy testing. :rolleyes:

greetz, PADMAN
Flytouch 2 (semi-official FW 3656)
generic MID V7 (WM8650)
Generic WM8850 MID dual camera (Uberoid JellyBean 0.7)
Coby Kyros MID1125 (stock FW)
TinJin i9220 MTK6575 phone (stock FW)

#25 hertog666

hertog666

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:15 PM

Cool! PADMAN! This shows that its possible!

Btw, my Netbook is currently residing at the Dutch Customs, so until they released it i still cant test the stuff I compiled :(

#26 seba1978

seba1978

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:17 AM

@Padman: I'm not sure what's responsible for the erratic behaviour you describe. My guess would be that Linux gets stuck fsck-ing the ext2 partition (happened to me quite often). Have you tried manually fscking it before inserting the SDcard?
As for Debian, the following should save some trouble :-)

- To be able to use USB mice and keyboards, you probably want to comment out in /root/.xinitrc the line that says "udev stop"

- To get the WiFi to work, the driver looks for its conf file in /data/wmtpref/etc/Wireless, so that you need to:
mkdir -p /data/wmtpref/
ln -s /etc /data/wmtpref/

- Also, it probably does not hurt to add these at the beginning of /root/.xinitrc, but I don't think it's necessary:
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.32.9-default/wmt_battery_md.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.32.9-default/kpad.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.32.9-default/sr9700.ko

- To get the touchscreen working, you need to place the attached evdevuor_drv.so in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/ and modify your xorg.conf to this:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "dummy"
Driver "void"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "utk_touch"
Driver "evdevuor"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/event0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "fbdev"
Option "UseFBDev" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Main Layout"
Screen "Default Screen"
InputDevice "utk_touch" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "dummy"
EndSection

Attached Files

#27 PADMAN

PADMAN

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:07 AM

Hi seba1978,
thank you very much for these hints...I can't wait to try this out tomorrow, when I have more time for it.

EDIT: Have tried it out a bit. With the modifications described by seba1978 above, touchscreen is working and so is on-screen keyboard. :)
Hardware keyboard attached vis the USB adapter doesn't work yet, unfortunately.
Root shell works, and so a clean shutdown is possible...and it reboots properly ! So you were probably right about the fsck problem as well, seba. :clapping:

I could not get WiFi to work either, network parameter were asked for in configuration dialog, but I could not get a browser connection. Will test further tomorrow.

So far, great job seba ! Lets see if we can get hardware keyboard working; with this feature, this might grow into an alternative OS for wm8650 10" netbooks (I mean the type with built-in keyboards like here:wm8650 netnbook on Dealextreme

EDIT2: Still testing....had some time to play with the network adapters and mouse. USB mouse doesn't work yet BUT wired ethernet (via USB adapter) is running ! Just plug in a cable, type:
ifconfig eth0 <YourIP> netmask 255.255.255.0 up
route add default gw <YourGatewaysIP>

...and you got working network and internet. Nice :)
When checking network adapters with ifconfig -a, I found that there is no WiFi adapter present :( (no ra0 or other just eth0, which is for wired network)

I will now try to look further into getting the USB keyboard to working... :rolleyes:

best regards, PADMAN

Edited by PADMAN, 10 September 2011 - 07:15 AM.

generic MID V7 (WM8650)

#28 hertog666

hertog666

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:01 PM

hi there,since I still haven't received my device, i was wanted to put my 2 compiled kernels online and see if it "works" (aka boots) and of course I would like feedback / suggestions (and stuff like that)

Android kernel
Opensource Linux kernel

Have fun with it!

Edited by hertog666, 12 September 2011 - 12:43 PM.

#29 seba1978

seba1978

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:51 PM

Mmm, WiFi works fine here... What's lsmod saying?
Try to insmod each of the /lib/modules/.../rt3070sta_XXX.ko to see which one ends up creating ra0.
Oh, and make sure that /data/wmtpref/etc is symlinked to /etc, even though this would not prevent ra0 from showing up.

As for the USB mouse/keyboard, is udev running?

For the hardware keyboard, I don't own a device with one, but the path to success is:
- find out which input it is: cat /dev/input/eventX to see which one prints out stuff when typing
- looking in /var/log/Xorg.log if it detected it out of the box. It should probably associate the evdev driver to it
- if not, you can try to manually associate eventX with the evdev driver by modifying xorg.conf
- if not, you're left with figuring out what eventX returns (cat /dev/input/eventX | od -h) and modify the evdev driver to play nicely, as I did for the touchscreen
But it shouldn't be that bad for a keyboard :-)

As for my own progress, I am trying to get the internal cam to work (USB ones are fine). The sound (alsa) works, but it's cracky. I'll figure out something, hopefully...

@Hertog: thank you for the kernel, I'll play with it when I get the chance :-)

#30 hertog666

hertog666

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:23 PM

w00t, I love to hear what you think of it seba1978!

#31 seba1978

seba1978

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:42 AM

Not looking too good: the wm8650 kernel does not seem to boot at all, while the android one gets stuck showing the wondermedia logo. I don't have a serial adapter, so that I can't really debug further... It might very well be my device's fault, if you have only compiled in the drivers relevant for your particular hardware.

#32 hertog666

hertog666

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:00 PM

seba1978, thanks for reporting it... I'm believe i've have made a slight configuration error in the kernel, so i'm currently trying figure out where my mistake is.

Btw, you don't happen to have a log file of my kernel ?

TOTALLY OFFTOPIC: The Dutch Customs released my netbook!!! SO now I can finally , really start getting this project up and running! =)

Edited by hertog666, 14 September 2011 - 05:27 AM.

• Bill Zimmerly likes this

#33 PADMAN

PADMAN

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:32 AM

Hi there,
thanks for the hints, seba1978, I'll try this out when I got the system booting again....still fiddling around to get my sdcards working under Ubuntu 10.04, which seems to have problems with either all three of my sdcard readers, or all of my sdcards....damn. (Btw, anyone got a recommendation for a really DECENT sdcard reader which works under linux flawlessly ? )

@hertog666: I tried your kernels, with the same result as seba; one isn't booting at all, the other one shows the Wondermedia Logo but nothing more. But its nice you finally get your device, hope the customs don't make you pay too much on top of the purchase price.

EDIT:
I finally got my sdcard problem sorted out, looks like all three sdcard readers I got are faulty.

I tried out your suggestions, seba. Here is what I found out so far;
- cat /dev/input/event2 responded to keyboard strokes.
- The xorg.0.conf did not show any association with a driver. by the way, where is the evdev driver located ? The find command did only find some files in /usr/share, did you mean these ?
- I think I could modify the xorg.conf, if I Found the evdev driver.

Regarding the ra0 hints, I will try them out tomorrow.

For now, thank you very, very much, seba. :clapping:

greetz, PADMAN

Edited by PADMAN, 14 September 2011 - 01:55 PM.

generic MID V7 (WM8650)

#34 seba1978

seba1978

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:20 AM

@padman: xorg.conf usually does not explicitely associate devices to drivers because it gets done dynamically by a udev rule. But since udev does not seem to be running... Can you copy us the content of /var/log/Xorg.log to make sure ?
The evdev (X11) driver should be here: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so

@hertog: the opensource kernel does not produce /var/log/dmesg, so I guess it fails before mounting the fs. You'll need a serial port to debug, I guess?

#35 hertog666

hertog666

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:50 AM

hi there, today i finally received my device! I Must say I'm impressed by the speedyness of the WM8650.

@PADMAN + seba1978 : Your both right, the android kernel only shows a WonderMedia logo and the opensource kernel doesnt boot at all... (only shows a black screen). I'm currently trying to figure out whats wrong, cuz when I disable the logo on the Android Kernel, it wont also show anything... and when I enable VGA Console Text in the Kernel configuration, and I try to compile it... It wont compile, it could be that I missed some required bit, for the VGA console to work.

On compiling it shows this error

drivers/video/console/vgacon.c: In function 'vgacon_startup':
drivers/video/console/vgacon.c:508:18: error: 'PCIMEM_BASE' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/video/console/vgacon.c:508:18: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
drivers/video/console/vgacon.c: In function 'vgacon_do_font_op':
drivers/video/console/vgacon.c:1068:22: error: 'PCIMEM_BASE' undeclared (first use in this function)

#36 PADMAN

PADMAN

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:57 AM

Hi there,
here is a copy of my xorg.0.log (the onyl one I have), xorg.log is not there.

xorg.0.log

Will try some more on the keyboard, now.

EDIT: OK, regarding udev: Its not running whehn the system is up, as "ps- A | grep udev" reveals. Attempts to start it manually in /etc/init.d give the error:

FATAL error: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.32.9-default/modules.dep

Thats because modules.dep is in /lib/modules/2.6.29-00234-g4f8dbbb-dirty/. So I softlinked /lib/modules/2.6.32.9-default/modules.dep with /lib/modules/2.6.29-00234-g4f8dbbb-dirty/ and now get a different error when trying to start udev:
FATAL: Error inserting fbcon (/lib/modules/2.6.29-00234-g4f8dbbb-dirty/kernel/drivers/video/console/fbcon.co): Invalid module format

greetz, PADMAN

Edited by PADMAN, 17 September 2011 - 07:50 AM.

generic MID V7 (WM8650)

#37 wicknix

wicknix

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:28 AM

@PADMAN: Remove your symlink from /lib/modules/2.6.29-00234-g4f8dbbb-dirty/modules.dep. Then in console/terminal run "depmod -a" to create a valid modules.dep. Actually you should probably delete the /2.6.29-00234-g4f8dbbb-dirty/ directory all together since that is not the kernel you are using. Any modules in that directory will not work with the 2.6.32.9-default kernel.

Cheers

#38 PADMAN

PADMAN

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:55 AM

Hi wicknix,
thanks for the hint, but when I do this and try starting udev, I still get the message "Module fbcon not found". And I don't have any idea where to get that module from, for the wm8650 CPU.

will keep trying....

PADMAN

Edited by PADMAN, 17 September 2011 - 11:55 AM.

generic MID V7 (WM8650)

#39 wicknix

wicknix

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:49 PM

I haven't downloaded the kernels posted earlier, but does the android kernel that was posted come with additional modules? If not see if it can be rebuilt with fbcon enabled. Even if the kernel doesn't boot, the modules should still work (assuming this kernel is built using the 2.6.32.9-default sources).

Cheers

#40 PADMAN

PADMAN

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:50 AM

Hi wicknix,
the kernel posted here came without any modules, as far as separate module files are concerned. Or did you mean modules compiled INTO the kernel ?
Maybe hertog can recompile the kernels, in order to generate the needed fbcon file ?
I currently search for a different kernel including the required files (wm8505 kernel forum).

greetz, PADMAN
generic MID V7 (WM8650)