248 replies to this topic

#221 wicknix

wicknix

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:08 PM

Sorry for the delayed responses. I had bricked my phone while messing around and it is my main source of internet (tethering). Finally got a new phone, rooted it, and back online. :)

For starters here are a few mirrors for debian sid v4:
http://depositfiles....files/rbeq1j7sy
http://min.us/mumHgW4Nd#1o
http://narod.ru/disk...-sid-v4.7z.html

@PARTY3AH: Hey thanks for the mirror! As for Angstrom passkey issue... i have 1 other user on another forum with the same problem. Others it isnt an issue. I'm really not sure what is causing it. Do you have spaces in your password maybe? I'll keep digging and if i find the answer i'll let you know.

@HomoFaciens: That's cool as heck! :good:

@seriouslycgi: I'm not sure. It's probably possible, but i haven't messed with uboot enough yet to know for sure. I'm still trying to figure out a safe and fool proof way to repartition and format the nand to allow installing linux internally. :blink:

Cheers
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver...

#222 seriouslycgi

seriouslycgi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:06 AM

@seriouslycgi: I'm not sure. It's probably possible, but i haven't messed with uboot enough yet to know for sure. I'm still trying to figure out a safe and fool proof way to repartition and format the nand to allow installing linux internally. :blink:

to be honest, booting from sdcard is/could be the strongest point of these devices, when the onboard nand packs up you have an alternative, even if modroid could be saved, and booted from sdcard it would give them a second life.

Edited by seriouslycgi, 25 February 2012 - 05:07 AM.

#223 PARTY3AH

PARTY3AH

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:52 AM

@PARTY3AH: Hey thanks for the mirror! As for Angstrom passkey issue... i have 1 other user on another forum with the same problem. Others it isnt an issue. I'm really not sure what is causing it. Do you have spaces in your password maybe? I'll keep digging and if i find the answer i'll let you know.

Hi again :) I found the solution to my problem: turning wi-fi off and on again can help. Thanks anyway for the answer.

#224 ibrium

ibrium

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:06 PM

I installed sidV4 and problems occur when reboot ... probably because dirty umount ... some suggs to solve this one ... I try to put sound in V3 who works fine with bodhi+e17

#225 wicknix

wicknix

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:58 AM

Yeah some people are reporting problems with unclean shutdown. I haven't quite pinpointed the culprit yet. Usually running e2fsck on the sd card from a linux pc will allow it to boot again however. I might just have to reapply the v4 changes to v3 again and see if that issue still exists or goes away as v3 shuts down fine. When I get some spare time I'll put together a v5.

Sent from my MB502 using Tapatalk
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver...

#226 netomx

netomx

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

By the way, don't put the brightness to the max (255), it will turn off between minutes. Try 100.

#227 seriouslycgi

seriouslycgi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:37 PM

I installed sidV4 and problems occur when reboot ... probably because dirty umount ... some suggs to solve this one ... I try to put sound in V3 who works fine with bodhi+e17

you put bodhi on your wm8650?

#228 AlessNilsen

AlessNilsen

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:26 AM

I'm trying to find a way to put linux on my tablet, but all that I found is for netbooks.

I also tried the Angstrom Linux, but it's too slow for daily use, moreover, I will not be able to use the WIFI and the touch screen.

I also tried the latest Debian distributed on this post (wm8650-netbook-debian-sid-v4.tar.bz2), but the same problem than the Angstrom Linux, without WIFI and without touch screen, to be great, Debian do not comes with onscreen keyboard, that I can use with a external mouse

Were I can find a Linux image designed for tablets instead of netbooks?

--------

Sorry if my english are bad.

#229 ibrium

ibrium

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:26 PM

you put bodhi on your wm8650?

yeh and work fine and with the same memory usage, the only problem I had was the unclear shutdown that broken system after some reboot.
But works fine.

well I forgot the source ... pls exc me.

that's is

http://jeffhoogland....ory-online.html

mods apts and go ...

by the way the usbserial module on v4 report invalid args when load ... (to up a 3g modem)... modeswitch ok

Edited by ibrium, 06 March 2012 - 09:27 PM.

#230 Bill Zimmerly

Bill Zimmerly

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

In this thread, I would like to keep a progress report about my porting attempts, to port Linux to my (and probably any other WM8650 netbook)

Many thanks, "hertog666," for your porting attempts! :clapping:

Thanks to your work (and others) I can now be productive with my Mini PC.

Sincerely,
- Bill

#231 elder

elder

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationBrasil

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

my tablet the touch screen does not work any solution ?

#232 monnigblower

monnigblower

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

Hi, Thanks for the Angstrom Linux which I've managed to get going using my SDCard on my netbook with its WM 8650 800MHz CPU. I don't have any ra0 though. Neither the ifconfig nor the iwconfig show any ra0 and I've had no luck from reading the previous 12 pages here. iwconfig and ifconfig show 'lo' and 'eth3'. The lsmod does give a:

Module Size Used by
rt3070 619299 0

In fact all the modules here have a 'Used by' of 0. Typing dmesg gives loads of

ERR: UOR_IICRead() Failed, errno=.5

So I'm wondering whether any of the hardware on my netbook is being access. Having said that when I play the game doom there is sound and the keyboard and mousepad work fine. So maybe the 'Used by' of 0 is a red herring.

Anyhow any pointers in how to get my ra0 to appear? I see that I have a /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA. Is this relevant given that in /lib/modules/2.6.32.9-default the file present include

rt3070sta.ko
rt3070sta_ar9271.ko
rt3070sta_rt3070.ko
rt3070sta_rt5370.ko
rt3070sta_rtl8188.ko

On this netbook is WinCE 6.0 instead of Android so I can't just grab the rt3070sta.ko from the existing Android install. With the WinCE the wifi did work. From looking at the device there is no button as such for WiFi so presumably it is just on with the WinCE.

I'd feel a little happier if I could just find an ra0 for starters. All suggestions welcome and appreciated.

-M

#233 mkwsk

mkwsk

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

Good day to all.
Excuse me for my poor english.

I am run version of operating system from wicknix (this). And got next troubles:
1. Very low display brightness.
2. Keyboard does not working.
All of this bugs were appear, when starting graphic environment.

Can you tell me how to solve these problems? Or at least give a search direction.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by mkwsk, 08 April 2012 - 11:15 PM.

#234 HomoFaciens

HomoFaciens

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:38 PM

Happy Easter!

I have purchased three new WM8650 mini laptops and had some trouble to get a stable wifi connect to my access points. I could connect the laptops to my main AP, but not to those of my robot room (www.RoboSpatium.de). I figured out that the kernel files and the modules of the android installed on them are different from the old laptop I was already working with.
The instruction how to extract those files from the NAND flash memory can be read here:
http://pond-weed.com...8650/index.html

I have created an archive file of both versions:
http://homofaciens.d...0-files.tar.bz2

Maybe some of you have the same trouble and I can help you.
Another Rover will be powered by one of the new laptops soon.

I still love those giant mini computers :D

...and to make keyboard and mouse work I had to edit the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Edited by HomoFaciens, 07 April 2012 - 05:41 PM.

#235 monnigblower

monnigblower

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:03 PM

Hi, Thanks for the Angstrom Linux which I've managed to get going using my SDCard on my netbook with its WM 8650 800MHz CPU. I don't have any ra0 though.
:
I'd feel a little happier if I could just find an ra0 for starters. All suggestions welcome and appreciated.

-M

Good news. Somehow on reading the subsequent posts to my comment I ended up at "http://www.slatedroi...nome-desktop/". On reading ljones tale of woe in post #28 I realised I had the same output with my lsusb. Using netomx reply in #29 I noticed that my modprobe commands all failed with something along the lines of FATAL ... file not found. By this stage though I had renamed my rt3070sta_rt5370.ko to rt3070sta.ko with the "mv rt3070sta_rt5370.ko rt3070sta.ko". I had a brainwave and rebooted the mini netbook. On the restart the "ifconfig -a" in a terminal window showed that ra0 was present in all its glory :-)

Subsequently in Wireless tab of Network Connections I added in a new connection with SSID, infrastructure Mode and WPA/WP2 Personal security. There was another key something or another along the way but I just reentered the WPA password again there. Anyhow that the end of it an 'ip route' in a terminal showed that I now had an IP address as received via dhcp and could ping www.google.com over WiFi.

-M

#236 HomoFaciens

HomoFaciens

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:46 AM

...I have created a video of what I have done with my newly purchased Laptops so far:

Have fun!
:D

#237 ksnghk

ksnghk

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

Thank you for all the great work here!
I've a 8" wm8650 and have successfully installed debian squeeze on it. However when using the touchscreen as mouse, I found the xorg input driver evdevuor_drv.so not so satisfactory in 2 aspects:
1. mouse pointer deviates from the spot I tap/point on the touchscreen even though I've set the wmt environment variables precisely. Moreover the amount of deviation changes from time to time, so the deviation is unable to be corrected by any touchscreen calibration means;
2. cannot emulate any mouse click operation. Hence in effect the touchscreen cannot function as it should.

I then found a link: http://pond-weed.com...8650/index.html with some excellent information, and moreover there's another xorg input driver namely 'utktouch' with mouse click emulation. However when compiling it on my tablet, I found it not compatible with the newer xorg version of debian squeeze. After some research and then some modifications, I've come up with a workable version which can be downloaded at:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2wxf9d

I found it working flawlessly and the pointer positioning accurate (note that I've tested for only a few mins). One thing still missing is right mouse click emulation. As the source code (utktouch.c) appears to be simple enough, I'll see if I can add this functionality, say 3 taps at a point as right mouse click. It would also be good if some touchscreen calibration parameters can be set as options in xorg.conf.

#238 doragasu

doragasu

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

Great work! I have ordered one of these mini laptops. Has anybody tried installing Arch Linux? I have found a tutorial for a WM8650 tablet, and I don't know if it will work with the mini laptop.

#239 tom01997

tom01997

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:30 AM

would this netbook be compatible with wine, so i can run windows programs like office?
thx in advance

#240 doragasu

doragasu

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:44 AM

would this netbook be compatible with wine, so i can run windows programs like office?
thx in advance

Short answer: NO

Long answer: The CPU architecture is different than the one used for Windows programs (x86 vs ARM). As its name states (Wine Is Not an Emulator), Wine doesn't emulate the CPU, it only reimplements Windows libraries, so Wine alone isn't enough to run windows programs in non x86/x64 platforms. Maybe running Windows programs in this mini laptop could be possible using WINE + QEMU, but for sure it will be VERY SLOW, so most probably it will be unusable.

Anyway, what do you need Windows programs for? There's a great substitute for MS Office called LibreOffice (forked from OpenOffice).

Edited by doragasu, 22 May 2012 - 02:47 AM.