• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#61 JHAres

JHAres

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:33 PM

why u doing that for again!

Just because we experiment with our tablets and want to know how to do that in case something goes wrong... ;-)

This tablet has not a hardware Home button to press at power on, like other tablets... now we know how to do it...

I you only want to use the tablet is ok... some of us want more and experiment and learn... ;-)

I know, maybe suicidal, but there are always risks when learning something new... :-D

#62 JHAres

JHAres

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:35 PM

well gentelmen i found a guy that it could repair all the nextbooks for that problem that it does not reboot or bricked ones! he took it and in less than 3 minutes he brought it back working cherry! so he will fix all your problem guys!

He is going to share his findings or simply will do business with that (or I must said "us") ? ;-)

#63 slimthumb

slimthumb

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:59 PM

Nextbookusa.com posted firmware update for N7P:

http://www.nextbooku...om/download.php

(Go to bottom "Update" and choose "firmware udpate")

I sent my N7P back for repair, so I cannot test this firmware update. However for fun, I tried to unpack the FW using the afptool.exe, but it failed!

#64 JHAres

JHAres

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:36 PM

I sent my N7P back for repair, so I cannot test this firmware update. However for fun, I tried to unpack the FW using the afptool.exe, but it failed!

Great Slimthumb... but sadly my serial number starts with "YF08", so not update for me... :-(

Any way to know what's updating ???

Thanks mate...

#65 devi8

devi8

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:02 AM

Hi.

Can somebody tell me how to open the case without breaking it? :)

However for fun, I tried to unpack the FW using the afptool.exe, but it failed!

You can unpack it with the afptool from rk2918_tools.

Great Slimthumb... but sadly my serial number starts with "YF08", so not update for me... :-(

Mine is a YF1011, but outside the listed ranges. I have to wonder if there really is some hardware difference with the YF1011s.

Any way to know what's updating ???

I see a FlashPlayer10.3.apk sitting in the root filesystem, but the version of Flash inside that .apk is actually 11.0.1.153. I'm not sure yet what else has been updated.

#66 drewby07

drewby07

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:10 AM

I managed to get the market installed on my Next7p, but when I go to open it, I get a message about adding a device....and when I click either yes or no, it just closes the window. I do see that market is still running in the background....

Any tips?

#67 WILFR

WILFR

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:58 PM

Similar result. Although I have installed what has become a widely touted patch I have not been able to download any apps from Android Market to my 7P. Using the Gmail address that is successful with my other Android devices (two 2.x phones and a 3.2 Toshiba Thrive) brings up a Market message recognizing the app is installed in the other machines and asks me to pick another machine to download to but the 7P is not in the list. Using a different Gmail address produces a Market message “There are no Android phones associated with this account …”. It appears the Market simply refuses to recognize the 7P patch or no patch. 7P otherwise flawless. What am I doing wrong?

I followed “How to install Android Market to Nextbook Premium 7” (Posted on November 4, 2011) and believe I was successful because DOS announced “success” after each of the 9 APK files, copied from GAPPS to the ADB folder, were installed. Further evidence of success is that the first 7 of the APKs appear under “Manage applications” on the 7P. I don’t know where the Mediauploader or Vending APK are.

Hope someone has a solution.

Virgin unrooted Nextbook 7P Ser: YF101158212 w/20111206 upgrade serviced w/ XP/SP3 PC.

#68 djestr

djestr

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:34 AM

I decided to see what I could do with Wendals tools using the firmware update for the nextbook 7 premium.
Used the image listed for serial numbers starting YF1011

I downloaded the update image and unpacked it.

C:\RK29xxImageTools_v2.1>lua rk29xx_rom_tools.lua
RK29xx Image Pack/Unpack Tools
Blog http://wendal.net
Project: https://github.com/w...l/teclast_tools
Pls input: 1-Unpack 2-Pack 3-Exit
Pls copy Image file into this folder,and rename to wendal.img
Notify any errors!
Press any key to continue . . .
Reading file header...
File header: RKFWf
Read loader's offset
Read loader's len
Read update.img's offset
Read update.img's len
Output Loader
offset(0x66) len(0x21FDA)
Output updata.img
offset(0x22040) len(0x8939004)
Unpack updata.img to Temp folder
Check file... OK
------- UNPACK ------
package-file 0x00000800 0x0000021B
RK29xxLoader(L)_V2.06.bin 0x00001000 0x00021FDA
parameter 0x00023000 0x0000026B
Image/misc.img 0x00023800 0x0000C000
Image/kernel.img 0x0002F800 0x00563D1C
Image/boot.img 0x00593800 0x00089346
Image/recovery.img 0x0061D000 0x003AEBD0
Image/system.img 0x009CC000 0x07F6C000
update-script 0x08938000 0x000003A5
recover-script 0x08938800 0x0000010A
Unpack firmware OK!
------ OK ------
Unpack system.img to system folder
Cramfs 2 , Modify by Wendal Chen.
My blog http://wendal.net
Sources http://github.com/wendal/cramfs
cramfsck: mkdir failed: system: File exists
Enable root permission
Unpack -- All Done

Everything looks like it processed correctly. Including adding root and changing the cramfs permissions.

Next I had it Pack the update image.

Packing system folder to system.img,overwrite to Temp\Image\system.img
Packing files in Temp folder to update_new.img
------ PACKAGE ------
Add file: ./Temp\package-file
Add file: ./Temp\RK29xxLoader(L)_V2.06.bin
Add file: ./Temp\parameter
Add file: ./Temp\Image/misc.img
Add file: ./Temp\Image/kernel.img
Add file: ./Temp\Image/boot.img
Add file: ./Temp\Image/recovery.img
Add file: ./Temp\Image/system.img
Add file: ./Temp\update-script
Add file: ./Temp\recover-script
Add CRC...
Make firmware OK!
------ OK ------
Get loader's and update_new.img's file len
Start writing loader
Start writing update.img
calculate MD5
MD5=af3da21d7a281627b70d83028a7c48a7
Write MD5 into wendal_new.img
Pack completa!! Target file --> wendal_new.img

Renamed file from Wendal_new.img to update.img. I have not tried to update with this yet as I have not been home. Wendal’s tool does indeed add Su to /system/bin and Superuser.apk to /system/ app. It also appears to make permission changes to the Cramfs system. When I get home I will try this update.img and see if it will take. If this works, I will be working immediately on a custom rom in the form of an update.zip based on this update image file that includes Android Market and dumps un needed bloat files.

Link here for the modified update.img

My link

As always I am not responsible for bricked tablets.

#69 slimthumb

slimthumb

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:22 PM

I decided to see what I could do with Wendals tools using the firmware update for the nextbook 7 premium.

Other N7P users have already reported success with root using Wendal's tool in the teclast forum (the origin of Wendal's rk2918 image tool):

hal9

wilson pickett

#70 djestr

djestr

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:52 PM

Other N7P users have already reported success with root using Wendal's tool in the teclast forum (the origin of Wendal's rk2918 image tool):

hal9

wilson pickett

Thanks for the heads up Slimthumb, Didn't catch those threads in my searches. I did get to test the update.img I created, which worked fine, except....wireless would not stay connected, flashed the original update as it comes from Nextbook and wireless worked fine. (Go figure.)

#71 exsecrare

exsecrare

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 01:13 AM

Anyone know why NAND isnt utilized by my tablet? it uses something showed separately as "internal storage" which is only around 200MB to install apps and what not but doesn't utilize NAND at all which shows as having 1.57GB free. it is very annoying having only a very small amount of space to install apps and what not. anyone know if there is a fix for this?

#72 tingchung_chin

tingchung_chin

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:08 PM

what is the status of your nextbook? My NB7P is YF1011 but outside the YF1011 range in their official website and i flash custom ROM in xda and reverse back to the original ROM in their official website. both update have the same issues your faced, no wifi, no sound and 4 front buttons gone. T.T

#73 squat251

squat251

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:54 PM

so the site lists no updates anymore, and all the custom roms links are dead, anyone still have love for this little tablet? it seems like a pretty good one, but i would like to see more done to it. i managed to get market on mine, but not google play (it still hasn't auto updated to play, not sure why.)

#74 ryancut

ryancut

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:12 PM

Does anyone have any advice on opening the case of the device up for repair?

#75 Skiye

Skiye

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationOver There

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

@ryancut - yes, carefully. :)

not sure if drudging up old threads is a no-no (didn't see anything negative about it in the rules), but i figure this is a good thread to start in since i have a nextbook7 with g-play store installed (next7p12-8g model). great android device. also have an ally droid phone...no longer used as a phone, more like a tablet. looking for a list of apps that work/don't work with the nextbook specifically. trying to do a few other things as well...like update from flashplayer 10.2 (which according to nextbook support, you can not do). im fluent in terminal (bin/bash) so hopefully that will help. :) any thoughts/advice on doing so? links to a thread of listed apps/games that work/don't work on the nextbook - or should that be my first thread topic once i've been declared sans-spam :) anywho, thx in advance for help/links/replies...
next7p12-8g / ics v4.0.4 / kernel 2.6.34 / build IMM76I.v005

#76 Skiye

Skiye

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationOver There

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

so here is a list of apps working/non-working so far for the nextbook7:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
games
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
working games -
nfs most wanted (*****) [excellent game, excellent graphics - love it]
nfs shift (****) [took some extra effort]
plants vs zombies (***) [temperamental]
angry birds (*****) [all 5 different versions]
john nes lite (****) [some nes roms dont work well, others are fantastic]
tap fish (****) [hangs sometimes when fish tanks are full, otherwise works great]
bingo blitz (*****) [best of the bingo games thus far]
raging thunder 2 (****) [works great, just not a huge fan of this racing game]
word search (*****) [great app, love this with my morning coffee]
drisk (****) [works great so far, havent gotten too into it yet though]
chess free (****) [works great so far, havent gotten too into it yet though]
xplane (****) [worked great, but wasnt too into flight simulators]

non working games -
nfs hot pursuit: fails after install and download of nearly 300mb of additional content.
bingo blingo: worked intermittently, kept receiving a "this application has stopped" error pop up so i uninstalled.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
utilities
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
working utilities -
adblock plus (*****) [works great with webkit browser and with chrome]
terminal emulator (*****) [works great so far, need to experiment more with it]
screenshot ultimate (*****) [works great, lots of options]
es file explorer (*****) [about the same as astro]
calendar (*****) [great tool - syncs across devices using gmail account]
quickpic (*****) [similar to native gallery, but with many more options/features]
ps touch (*****) [took some getting used to, but fantastic app from adobe with a lot of features similar to the pc version]
ps express (***) [has some good features, great if you dont want to pay for ps touch]
picsart (*****) [another photo editing/sharing app with a lot of great options/features - but free. also better than ps express]
zedge (***) [great for grabbing free alert/ringtones, also has app store - temperamental though - crashing a lot lately unfortunately]
evernote (****) [great app for organizing notes and much more - need to explore this one more though]
officesuite (****) [like this one more than the thinkfree office]
translate (*****) [pretty much everything from google is great for these devices]
chrome (*****) [great browser, like much more than webkit. also use on my pc though so i might be slightly biased ;)]
amazon app store (**) [works, but needs some coercing. pain having to clear data and re-log in every time]

non-working utilities -
haven't encountered any really yet. havent tried gingerbreak or root explorer on this device yet though, so once i do, of course i'll update this post.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
misc
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
misc working apps -
trillian (*****) [fantastic IM app with multi-protocol, only downside is you need amazon appstore installed]
facebook (***) [buggy, temperamental]
linkedin (***) [works ok, no issues yet]
myspace (***) [works ok, no issues yet]
recipes (*****) [allthecooks.com droid app - great stuff]
g+ (*****) [works ok, no issues yet]
gtalk (*****) [works ok, no issues yet]
jango (*****) [excellent radio music app, similar to last.fm]

misc non-working apps -
last.fm - a shame, prob my fav music streaming app / website.
hulu - no sound or picture. apparently not compatible, but play store didnt warn of this.
netflix - also a shame, nextbook support said netflix will be releasing a patch for this. get sound, no picture. i attributed this to flash needing to be updated.

Edited by Skiye, 25 January 2013 - 07:57 PM.

#77 balood

balood

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:22 AM

Stuck on android startup

Hi

I have a tm701 which I have been advised is a relabelled nextbook7. It is stuck on the android boot screen. I have tried factory reset but nothing happens. Is this now a brick or is there a way of reinstalling the android? I am only a beginner so please don't use to many big words in your reply.

Cheers
balood

#78 Skiye

Skiye

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationOver There

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

by "i've tried factory reset..." you mean there is a reset button on the back of your device that you have pushed? you could try holding the Power button and the Volume - button at the same time to turn the device on, once the device turns on, release those buttons. the android logo (robot)should appear automatically. now hold the POWER button down and toggle between the VOL+ and VOL - button until you see the blue writing of the recovery screen. use VOL+/- button to scroll through the screen display up or down,and select " wipe data /factory reset " press POWER button to confirm. now scroll to yes and press the POWER button. let me know if that works...

#79 dizzygene

dizzygene

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:27 AM

Hello Guys

Pls. Help me with my NP7
I forgot 9 dot password for nextbook premium 7.

i forgot the password and cannot get into it, it does not have a volume switch please help me !

how can i factory data reset?

#80 Skiye

Skiye

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationOver There

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:42 PM

which model is it that it doesnt have volume up/down buttons under the power button (corner near the camera)? does it have a home button or any other buttons aside from power? if yes, try one of them in combination with the power button and see if it results in the aforementioned...

Edited by Skiye, 20 July 2013 - 09:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users