Nextbook premium 7

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#21 JAI

JAI

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:59 PM

I just face a problem with this device. I done installing android market. Later I tried this app called "android assistant". It has 17 features. I saw one of its function is to control brightness. I want to test how dim can this app provide. I straight away drag the bar to zero. Surprisingly and unexpectedly, the app dimmed my next7p until NO LIGHT AT ALL!!! Now i totally stuck.

i seriously need to do this so i can do factory reset. I found this site, trying to jump to recovery mode since now and then. But no luck so far. I tried to press all the bottom 4 button (search, home, menu, back). So I hope can someone willing to post it on youtube on how to do this. I will highly appreciate it. Until that, I will keep trying to jump to recovery mode until i succeed. TQVM all.

#22 fixit34

fixit34

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:27 PM

I had that problem before android is still booting. What you need to do after the boot screen when screen go's blank get a bright led flash light and shine on screen you will have to look at a angle you will have to find your way to settings ...display... and adjust brightness its hard to see but you can at right angle... if you dont see anything hit power button to wake up shine light get pass lock screen follow steps above

#23 JAI

JAI

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:16 PM

Thanks fixit34 for the reply. Will try to do your method and give my feedback later on. For time being, im gonna try to find an LED flash light for myself. huhu... and btw, whoever create an app that will make our device 100% dim is nonsense. At best, make it max 90% dim is more than enough. Urgh!

Btw, anyone want to try this meyhod on our Netbook?

http://www.androidta...-cube-u9gt.html

Edited by JAI, 13 November 2011 - 10:39 PM.

#24 emeyers

emeyers

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:58 AM

Hey,

a) I wanted to test to see if the device would really load the rom, so I booted into the safe mode with the rom provided in the link on the SD card. It asked me if I wanted to load the rom and I said yes and the device rebooted. I did not want it to load the factory rom on my device ... as I was satisfied that it will work.

B) I tried to load other roms such as Nextbook 6 with no luck. It would give me an error about no compatible roms found on the SD card. So to those who made it to the safe mode but could not get the rom to load, I was just stating to make sure you only have the Nextbook 7 rom on the SD card. That way it finds the correct rom without any problems.

c) When I took the SD card out after the reboot / loading factory rom off of SD card, the "Android system recovery utility v1.3.35" popped up.

The Factory Rom is not my rom but a rom that was posted here:

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1220296

The rom is just a OEM rom.

The link that I provided as well as this forum is where I've seen the most activity on this device.

Hi EMeyers,

That's fantastic !

Yeah, Nextbook support people dont'n know nothing, they are just "binaries" = "yes or no"... usually just "no"... ;-)

I have some questions about your comment, were no clear for me some parts, can you re-explain ? Those are:

a) "I had to pull the SD card out real quick and cancel because I didn't want it to wipe my device." ???

B) "Are you sure that's the only rom on the SD card?" ???

c) "Thought I'd note that upon taking out the SD card upon reboot the device went into Android system recovery utility v1.3.35." ???

Besides, other questions are:

d) The ROM you posted is OEM ? Where did you get ? Have you customized that ROM ? How ?

e) I don't want to annoy you with a lot of questions, sorry, where do you get more info about Next7P ? What post/thread/webpage ? I can't find a good source of info...

Thanks alot mate, you are my hero... ;-)

Regards,
Jvier.

#25 emeyers

emeyers

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:03 AM

Not sure why it's not working. I will try it when I get home and post my results. Just in case ... maybe try it while the device is plugged in. Maybe it needs to be on direct power to get into that mode.

EMeyers, Hi again,

Today I tested to enter into recovery mode... four fingers over the four "buttons" in the front, and pushing power-on, while keeping the fingers all the time... the Next7P booted normally until the usual unlock screen...

What I'm missing here ??? :-S

P.S.: I did that without a SD card (I don't want to upgrade anything yet)... can you try the same way to see your results ?

#26 JHAres

JHAres

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:23 AM

Not sure why it's not working. I will try it when I get home and post my results. Just in case ... maybe try it while the device is plugged in. Maybe it needs to be on direct power to get into that mode.

Hi,

Yup, maybe the transformer plugged-in is mandatory... and/or an update file in SD card... Will test that alternatives...!!! ;-)

Regards mate...!

#27 emeyers

emeyers

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:53 PM

Hi,

Yup, maybe the transformer plugged-in is mandatory... and/or an update file in SD card... Will test that alternatives...!!! ;-)

Regards mate...!

I just tried booting into safe mode and it worked for me on the first try. I did not have an image on the SD card and the device was not plugged in.

I created a video just to show you that I'm not fooling or anything.

#28 JAI

JAI

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:13 PM

I just tried booting into safe mode and it worked for me on the first try. I did not have an image on the SD card and the device was not plugged in.

My God. It really works. Thanks Emeyers for the youtube post! you also mentioned that:

"When I took the SD card out after the reboot / loading factory rom off of SD card, the "Android system recovery utility v1.3.35" popped up."

So when is exactly the timing that you took out your SD card? is it during the safe mode? Since I have a brightness issue problem, IMHO, the brightness will restore to default if i able to go to safe mode rite? Safe mode is supposed to be a condition where a non core apps function is disabled.

I also hope im able to go to the recovery mode. It should not be affected by brightness.

#29 emeyers

emeyers

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:38 AM

My God. It really works. Thanks Emeyers for the youtube post! you also mentioned that:

"When I took the SD card out after the reboot / loading factory rom off of SD card, the "Android system recovery utility v1.3.35" popped up."

So when is exactly the timing that you took out your SD card? is it during the safe mode? Since I have a brightness issue problem, IMHO, the brightness will restore to default if i able to go to safe mode rite? Safe mode is supposed to be a condition where a non core apps function is disabled.

I also hope im able to go to the recovery mode. It should not be affected by brightness.

Once it detected the valid rom on the SD card in safe mode, it prompted me with load rom and reboot. I said yes and the device rebooted. I believe that's when I took the card out and the menu popped up.

I would think that safe mode will help you resolve your issue.

When trying to get into safe mode I noticed that if double press all of the buttons in the beginning and knda peek under to make sure they're lit up then it works. Maybe when the buttons are pressed too soon (thus the buttons aren't lit)then it doesn't work. You'll see in the video what I'm talking about. Hope this helps.

Edited by emeyers, 16 November 2011 - 10:48 AM.

#30 JHAres

JHAres

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:29 AM

Finally...!!!

I think "the secret" is to wait a little, until the lady screen appears and buttons lighs when pressed... I got the safe mode that way...!!! BUT I was scared to death after that...!!!! hehehehe... That was because in Safe Mode screen I couldn't slide the unlock and the tablet rebooted quickly without any action from my hand... after rebooting, the pointing finger screen stayed forever...!!!! Maybe because initially I forgot to remove the SD card (with applications and media only), and removed it when the reboot started.

After a long (and scary) wait I decided to reset the tablet using the pinhole.... again, when powered, the tablet stayed long time in the pointing finger...!!!! I saw the unlock screen a brief flash and again the pointing finger came...!!! Oh my god, I killed the tablet...!!! :-D

I reseted the tablet again with the pinhole... and this time worked until the normal screen.... fiuuuu...!!! I was sweating...!!! ;-)

A lot of adrenaline, more than bungee jumping... !!! :-P

Have you customized any ROM yet ? What do you put inside and how ?

Thanks you a lot again !!!

Javier.

#31 emeyers

emeyers

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:28 PM

Finally...!!!

I think "the secret" is to wait a little, until the lady screen appears and buttons lighs when pressed... I got the safe mode that way...!!! BUT I was scared to death after that...!!!! hehehehe... That was because in Safe Mode screen I couldn't slide the unlock and the tablet rebooted quickly without any action from my hand... after rebooting, the pointing finger screen stayed forever...!!!! Maybe because initially I forgot to remove the SD card (with applications and media only), and removed it when the reboot started.

After a long (and scary) wait I decided to reset the tablet using the pinhole.... again, when powered, the tablet stayed long time in the pointing finger...!!!! I saw the unlock screen a brief flash and again the pointing finger came...!!! Oh my god, I killed the tablet...!!! :-D

I reseted the tablet again with the pinhole... and this time worked until the normal screen.... fiuuuu...!!! I was sweating...!!! ;-)

A lot of adrenaline, more than bungee jumping... !!! :-P

Have you customized any ROM yet ? What do you put inside and how ?

Thanks you a lot again !!!

Javier.

Glad to hear you didn't kill your tablet. I would have been sweating too .. it's nothing like thinking you've bricked your precious device .. only to be relieved by the home screen :)

I wish I knew how to customize roms but I don't. There's a link on one of these pages that has the link to the OEM rom. You just have the rom on your sdcard and boot into safe mode and it picks it up.

Glad to have helped.

Edited by emeyers, 17 November 2011 - 02:32 PM.

#32 JAI

JAI

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:34 AM

I think i already get to go to save mode many times. but cant really tell because my Next7P still dim. I tell you all, im currently having great pressure from this "dead screen". huuuu... there's no hope anymore... T____T

Edited by JAI, 18 November 2011 - 07:36 AM.

#33 JHAres

JHAres

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:14 PM

I think i already get to go to save mode many times. but cant really tell because my Next7P still dim. I tell you all, im currently having great pressure from this "dead screen". huuuu... there's no hope anymore... T____T

Have you tried the suggested method using a powerful flashlight in angle ??? :blink:

#34 JAI

JAI

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:55 AM

Have you tried the suggested method using a powerful flashlight in angle ??? :blink:

im having a hard time finding a powerful flash light. huhu...

#35 slimthumb

slimthumb

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:24 AM

It is good to hear that someone found a hard copy of the OEM ROM for Nextbook Premium 7.

From what I understand, it is not possible to use hacks such as Superoneclick or Gingerbreak to root the NP7, because the system folder is in cramfs, a read-only filing system (therefore it is not possible to modify the files to make permanent root). The only way I know to root the NP7 is to extract the firmware, root it and repackage it. It is also desirable to change the system folder (which contain the OEM apps) to a read/ writable filing system so that we can remove OEM bloatware.

Wendal already developed tools to make these changes on the Teclast tablet which also uses the Rockchip rk2918 processor and has Android 2.3 OS. It is presumed that many Chinese Android tablets which share similar hardware and the same OS have similar firmware image structure. Hopefully this may also work for the NP7. I see that JAI has already asked the question in the thread if it will work for the NP7.

rk29XX image tool

Read/ writable system for rk29XX

If the two tools work on the NP7 firmware, the only problem I can see is, if the recovery console of the NP7 will recognize the modified firmware as a valid update so that it will load. Otherwise we may need something like Clockworkmod to load custom ROMs??

Edited by slimthumb, 23 November 2011 - 11:29 AM.

#36 fixit34

fixit34

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:55 PM

Hi i managed to extract the rom for the next7p. I added market and attempted to full root. did get su and busybox on there. If any want to try. do at your own risk of bricking your tablet. I have try ed it out two times and was successful both times. don't even need to be in safe mode just boot tablet normal. hook usb to computer and mount put update.zip file on root of internal card then unmount usb.it should pop up about update click ok it will reboot in recovery it will wipe data and install fresh. /www.mediafire.com/?jatckmcextsab2c

#37 slimthumb

slimthumb

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 12:25 PM

Thanks fixit34. DLed, I'll give this a try when I get home.

BTW how did you do this? Adding Market is easy (use ADB install), but how did you manage to permanently root the tablet, did you change the read-only cramfs of the system folder to something else like ext3 or ext4?

I downloaded a "factory ROM" of NP7 from XDA:

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1220296

and used Wendal's rk29xx image tool and tried to unpack, root and repack the firmware. Unfortunately it did not work (stuck at "check file..."). I contacted Wendal who sent me an older version of the image tool, but again it was stuck in the same place.

I started reading about how to reconstruct firmware image from the tablet's system files, but I don't understand everything and I don't know enough Linux to brave this, in case I brick my NP7.

#38 fixit34

fixit34

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:07 PM

Hi i used Wendal's rk29xx image tools. had the same problem. i had to do it different to make it work. copy command from windows system32 folder past it in to Wendal's tools folder. copy oem update.zip in wendal's tool folder. make a new folder in wendal's tools called xxx open command prompt and type afptool.exe -unpack update.img xxx\
this will unpack rom in the xxx folder

to repack rom type afptool.exe -pack xxx\ update.img

i had to yous a differnt set of tools for unpacking system file

#39 slimthumb

slimthumb

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:16 PM

Hi fixit34,

I just got home and tried to flash your ROM. I followed what you said, put the update.img onto an empty SD card and insert it into the NP7 (in Settings -> About Nextbook -> System updates -> Automatic updates checked), it detects the update automatically.

However, I got an error message of "invalid update.img".

I also tried to update with the "OEM ROM" posted on xda, but I get an "invalid update.img" message again.

I begin to wonder if my NP7 is different from other peoples' NP7:

Model: Next7P
Android: 2.3.1
Kernel: 2.6.32.27
Build: v2.0.10.GINGERBREAD.eng.root.20110923.230508_HW:2.0.0.0.0

I believe what ppl call "Next7" is the same as "Nextbook Premium 7", at least I cannot find any other versions of "Nextbook 7".

#40 fixit34

fixit34

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:39 PM

it should be the same. try to put on tablets internal card. see if it will update