Nextbook premium 7

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 skipster04

skipster04

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:25 AM

I found them from a chinese supplier for $150 and so far so good, capcitive screen, run great, just one problem, no market. i was going to root it and install clockwork then flash gapps on it, but i cant find a set of usb drivers for it, any ideas or other plans of attack? when i plug it in it pops up as rk2918 if that helps.

#2 Go2beach

Go2beach

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:32 PM

I found them from a chinese supplier for $150 and so far so good, capcitive screen, run great, just one problem, no market. i was going to root it and install clockwork then flash gapps on it, but i cant find a set of usb drivers for it, any ideas or other plans of attack? when i plug it in it pops up as rk2918 if that helps.

i'm in the same boat and would love to figure this out. I also got the rk2918, but the specs says Cortex A8. Anyways, I used the the standard Google USB Driver package, revision 4 (see instructions below), and am able to adb to it. Can probably root it now, but dont know where to go from here. Would be great to collaborate.

http://wiki.cyanogen...the_Android_SDK

#3 slimthumb

slimthumb

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:50 AM

Hi guys,

I have ordered one from dinodirect and it should be arriving within the week. I wonder if anyone has any success in rooting this device?

The only other post about the NB Premium 7 I can find is here:

Nextbook 7 - $115 Capacitive 7" 1Ghz 2.3

The OP failed to gain root on the Android 2.3.1 with Gingerbreak.

Also, I have only read about using ADB but have not actually used it. Is it true that you can install Market and other apps using ADB, without gaining root?

Edited by slimthumb, 09 September 2011 - 11:36 AM.

#4 slimthumb

slimthumb

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:04 PM

I just received my NB P7 from dinodirect. Installed Market following the guide from the link from my previous post. I also follow this guide to use Gingerbreak in ADB to manually root the device:

http://www.nexusonef...etup-guide.html

Gingerbreak worked and gave me temporary root.

However, when I tried to mount read/write on /system (so that I can install Superuser), it failed (at the step "chmod 777 /system/bin or /system/app). Without being able to r/w the /system folder, I cannot continue to install Superuser to get permanent root.

I searched the web (including xda) and saw many people having a similar problem, but I cannot find a solution.

Any help?

Edited by slimthumb, 09 September 2011 - 11:41 AM.

#5 Go2beach

Go2beach

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:30 PM

Thanks for the links. I was able to load android market which is a big deal. The only other thing i'm interested in is getting google calendar app. Doesn't seem straightforward, but can always use the web for it. With these, I'm pretty contented with my nextbook.

#6 slimthumb

slimthumb

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:34 AM

Sheeat dinodirect jacked the price of the NB 7P up by 20 bucks (now $170-ish). I was thinking of buying another one as a XMas gift.

After more research, I realize it is not possible to root the NB 7P except with a modified ROM. Wendal (a member here) already developed a tool to unpack rk29xx firmware, so that you can modify (delete) the system apps, root it (done automatically by the tool), repack it and install it like a usual firmware update:

Wendal rk29xx image tool

Hopefully it will also work on the NB 7P that uses the same Rockchip rk2918 and has Android 2.3 on, just like all the other devices listed. Unfortunately, to make a modified ROM, you need a hard copy of the ROM - nextbookusa.com has not released any downloadable firmware on their support page. Without a hard copy of the firmware, there is nothing to modify for rooting.

As for making the system read/write, it is not possible (yet) even after rooting the device, because the device uses cramfs, a read-only file system, for the system folder. However, there is development to overcome this problem (see above link).

Edited by slimthumb, 09 September 2011 - 11:42 AM.

#7 Go2beach

Go2beach

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:07 PM

Thanks for keeping us updated. Let's hope for a firmware update.

Sheeat dinodirect jacked the price of the NB 7P up by 20 bucks (now $170-ish). I was thinking of buying another one as a XMas gift.

After more research, I realize it is not possible to root the NB 7P except with a modified ROM. Wendal (a member here) already developed a tool to unpack rk29xx firmware, so that you can modify (delete) the system apps, root it (done automatically by the tool), repack it and install it like a usual firmware update:

Wendal rk29xx image tool

Hopefully it will also work on the NB 7P that uses the same Rockchip rk2918 and has Android 2.3 on, just like all the other devices listed. Unfortunately, to make a modified ROM, you need a hard copy of the ROM - nextbookusa.com has not released any downloadable firmware on their support page. Without a hard copy of the firmware, there is nothing to modify for rooting.

As for making the system read/write, it is not possible (yet) even after rooting the device, because the device uses cramfs, a read-only file system, for the system folder. However, there is development to overcome this problem (see above link).

#8 emeyers

emeyers

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:39 AM

Thanks for keeping us updated. Let's hope for a firmware update.

http://www.multiupload.com/6BY8BVS5BJ---Next7's Factory ROM

Is that all you need?

#9 Go2beach

Go2beach

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:34 AM

Emeyers posted Next7 ROM recently, but I don't know enough to confirm. Any thoughts?

Wendal rk29xx image tool

#10 JHAres

JHAres

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:01 PM

http://www.multiupload.com/6BY8BVS5BJ---Next7's Factory ROM

Is that all you need?

Hi EMeyers,

And how do you update manually the firmware in a N7P tablet ? Just in case...

I cant see the way... :huh:

Kind regards...

#11 emeyers

emeyers

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 02:09 AM

Hi EMeyers,

And how do you update manually the firmware in a N7P tablet ? Just in case...

I cant see the way... :huh:

Kind regards...

Turn the device on, hold down the front buttons while it's booting. It will boot into safe mode (saying safe mode in the lower left corner) and will try and load whatever rom is on the main directory of the SD card. I tried it with the factory rom listed in the link.

If only someone was able to edit or extract the rom and gain it it root access.

#12 fixit34

fixit34

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:14 PM

I tryed all the buttons on front to get to safe mode but i can not get there. what is the steps to get safe mode i must be doing it wrong

#13 JHAres

JHAres

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:49 PM

Turn the device on, hold down the front buttons while it's booting. It will boot into safe mode (saying safe mode in the lower left corner) and will try and load whatever rom is on the main directory of the SD card. I tried it with the factory rom listed in the link.

If only someone was able to edit or extract the rom and gain it it root access.

Hi,

The problem is, Nextbook has no buttons... :-D

The real "buttons" are just the power-on and the pinhole for reset...

Thats why I'm asking... I know the usual is power-on while menu button is down, as in my other dead tablet...

#14 emeyers

emeyers

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:44 AM

It is exactly as I stated. I'm not in front of the device now. You turn on the device and hold on all of the buttons on the front bottom of the device (Home, Search, Back Etc.) while it's booting. It will boot into safe mode (saying safe mode in the lower left corner) trying to install whatever image is on the SD card. I've done this several times so it works.

I believe the buttons that you should be holding down light up when the device comes on or when they're pressed.

I hold them down all the way until the device has fully booted.

I'm not sure which buttons or how long as I was just playing around one day and found it out.

Edited by emeyers, 01 November 2011 - 06:47 AM.

#15 JHAres

JHAres

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:38 PM

It is exactly as I stated. I'm not in front of the device now. You turn on the device and hold on all of the buttons on the front bottom of the device (Home, Search, Back Etc.) while it's booting. It will boot into safe mode (saying safe mode in the lower left corner) trying to install whatever image is on the SD card. I've done this several times so it works.

I believe the buttons that you should be holding down light up when the device comes on or when they're pressed.

I hold them down all the way until the device has fully booted.

I'm not sure which buttons or how long as I was just playing around one day and found it out.

Great find !!!

What kind of thing did you loaded ? New ROM ?

Did you tried this without a SD card ? Any risk doing this just to check ?

Have you seen any menu ?

Thanks a lot for your info, that's great news, people at Nextbook support don't gave me this info when asked !!!

#16 emeyers

emeyers

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:06 AM

Great find !!!

What kind of thing did you loaded ? New ROM ?

Did you tried this without a SD card ? Any risk doing this just to check ?

Have you seen any menu ?

Thanks a lot for your info, that's great news, people at Nextbook support don't gave me this info when asked !!!

I called support too about loading custom or backup images, even had a talk with the Supervisor which basically went nowhere. They had no idea about what I was talking about. The support for the tablet sucks.

I loaded a OEM rom which I posted the link a few posts back in this thread.

I stopped my device from installing the rom once I was comftorable that it would work.

My device is fine, there are no issues that I can tell.

I did not try this without an SDcard.

Below is my findings that I posted elsewhere:

"It works for me. Just to confirm, I wiped my SD card to make sure there were no other images on the SD card. It will only accept the update of a Nextbook 7 rom. Then I downloaded the Nextbook 7 rom on the first page. It said that it detected a valid rom and then continued with the reboot and image update process. I had to pull the SD card out real quick and cancel because I didn't want it to wipe my device. Are you sure that's the only rom on the SD card?

Thought I'd note that upon taking out the SD card upon reboot the device went into Android system recovery utility v1.3.35.
Some of the options are:

Reboot
Factory reset
SYSTEM recover
Update from SDCARD
Update from uDisk

Not sure if any of this is useful."

Edited by emeyers, 02 November 2011 - 07:10 AM.

#17 fixit34

fixit34

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:35 AM

My next7p software is messed up cant get passed the screen with the finger pointing up just keeps trying to load os..... Is the safe mode before or after this screen.

#18 JHAres

JHAres

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 12:03 PM

I called support too about loading custom or backup images, even had a talk with the Supervisor which basically went nowhere. They had no idea about what I was talking about. The support for the tablet sucks.

I loaded a OEM rom which I posted the link a few posts back in this thread.

I stopped my device from installing the rom once I was comftorable that it would work.

My device is fine, there are no issues that I can tell.

I did not try this without an SDcard.

Below is my findings that I posted elsewhere:

"It works for me. Just to confirm, I wiped my SD card to make sure there were no other images on the SD card. It will only accept the update of a Nextbook 7 rom. Then I downloaded the Nextbook 7 rom on the first page. It said that it detected a valid rom and then continued with the reboot and image update process. I had to pull the SD card out real quick and cancel because I didn't want it to wipe my device. Are you sure that's the only rom on the SD card?

Thought I'd note that upon taking out the SD card upon reboot the device went into Android system recovery utility v1.3.35.
Some of the options are:

Reboot
Factory reset
SYSTEM recover
Update from SDCARD
Update from uDisk

Not sure if any of this is useful."

Hi EMeyers,

That's fantastic !

Yeah, Nextbook support people dont'n know nothing, they are just "binaries" = "yes or no"... usually just "no"... ;-)

I have some questions about your comment, were no clear for me some parts, can you re-explain ? Those are:

a) "I had to pull the SD card out real quick and cancel because I didn't want it to wipe my device." ???

B) "Are you sure that's the only rom on the SD card?" ???

c) "Thought I'd note that upon taking out the SD card upon reboot the device went into Android system recovery utility v1.3.35." ???

Besides, other questions are:

d) The ROM you posted is OEM ? Where did you get ? Have you customized that ROM ? How ?

e) I don't want to annoy you with a lot of questions, sorry, where do you get more info about Next7P ? What post/thread/webpage ? I can't find a good source of info...

Thanks alot mate, you are my hero... ;-)

Regards,
Jvier.

#19 JHAres

JHAres

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:59 PM

EMeyers, Hi again,

Today I tested to enter into recovery mode... four fingers over the four "buttons" in the front, and pushing power-on, while keeping the fingers all the time... the Next7P booted normally until the usual unlock screen...

What I'm missing here ??? :-S

P.S.: I did that without a SD card (I don't want to upgrade anything yet)... can you try the same way to see your results ?

Edited by JHAres, 07 November 2011 - 05:01 PM.

#20 Monocian

Monocian

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:48 AM

Hello everyone and thank you Emeyers for the precious informations.

My friend has a NP 8 tablet but it seems that both tablets share the same cpu (rk2918). Unfortunately his tablet after inserting a microSD got stuck at loading bootscreen. So Im wondering if we can use the NP7 rom img for the NP8, and in the worst case could anyone please help me with a NP8 OEM rom?

Thank you for reading this :)