Photo

Can Vizio snatch the Android tablet biz like it did with LCD TVs?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Reimar

Reimar

Mr. Imperfect

• Global Moderators
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationSamut Prakarn (Thailand)

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:39 AM

Can Vizio snatch the Android tablet biz like it did with LCD TVs?

By Tim Conneally | Published August 9, 2011, 2:06 AM

Posted Image

Four years ago, California-based electronics company Vizio rocketed from virtual anonymity to the position of number one LCD TV maker in the United States ahead of much larger international rivals Samsung, Phillips, Sharp, and Sony. Now, Vizio is hoping to have that same impact in the field of Android tablets with the new 8" Vizio Tablet, officially launched to all retail channels late Monday evening.
Vizio's breakthrough success in the LCD TV market was largely thanks to the affordability and widespread availability of its products through partnerships with big box retailers Costco and Sam's Club. Naturally, this formula will be applied to the Vizio Tablet too, and customers will be able to pick one up at Costco Wholesale, Sam's Club, Walmart, Target, BJ's Wholesale, and Amazon.com for just $299.
With an 8" (1024 x 768) screen, 1GHz processor, 4GB of built-in storage and a microSD slot for cards up to 32GB, 802.11n, Bluetooth, and a front-facing 1.3MP chat camera, the Vizio 8" Tablet packs in many of the features of other Android tablets. But since Vizio is mostly a home theater component company, the tablet has a handful of special features to tie it into the home entertainment setup, including an IR blaster and universal remote app, a microHDMI 1.4 jack with HDCP encryption support and SRS TruMedia audio to play back HD video content, and the Vizio V.I.A Plus UI on top of Android, an interface which will be used in future Vizio TVs and media players.
"Vizio set out to build an innovative tablet that breaks new ground and addresses the gaps in current offerings in the market," said Matt McRae, Vizio's Chief Technology Officer in a statement on Monday.
Because one of the most common places for a consumer to use a mobile tablet is in front of the television, Vizio's brand name, and the inclusion of TV control features into an Android tablet could both prove very helpful in getting consumer interest.

Source: BetaNews

This post has been promoted to an article

Mr. Imperfect
from
LOS (Land of Smile (Thailand))

Posted Image

Please do NOT hijack my signature picture. Thanks.

#2 marvin02

marvin02

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:00 AM

We just bought the VTAB, it is our first tablet.

It is a solid device with good video and sound.

Our number one use is an an e-reader. We have Nook, Kindle and FBReader installed. Works great with Adobe Reader.

#3 ace5000

ace5000

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:17 PM

I have a vtab also. Still working with it.

#4 X GI GUY

X GI GUY

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:25 PM

Hi all

I'm new here also. This is my second tablet. I had a pandigital novel the black one which I returned, it broke.
I love this VTAB1008 got it with the case from Overstock. Com for $169 (refurbished unit).
I wanted it for the remote control application which works well but it's so much more. With the case it sets
securely in the tray on the dash of my Jeep TJ. I can easily see that 8" screen. A "get r done" Gps unit. I do plan to add
Velcro to tie it down. Access to the real Android market and a dualipoint capacitive touchscreen unlike the novel.

I was going to go Icecream Sandwich but could not wait and why fatten someone's else's wallet. Perhaps when the
dust settles we will try that snack.

Just a note my VTAB1008 came with a 3 month free trail of Hulu and you can add other devices, TV, Laptop, ect.
I almost missed that one. Netflix and Youtube also look good on this.

A LOT of BANG for the $169 bucks. That was the fly in the ointment for Vizio I think they had set the original price
too high. The also received some lack luster reviews.
I have heard that they will leave the tablet market but don't take that to the bank.

Gary

#5 new2cruz

new2cruz

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:22 PM

I havent found any Vizio forums for rooting to set cpu. Any recommendations?

#6 ROBOP

ROBOP

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:30 AM

If your looking to root vtab or any other moding you might want to look at http://www.androidta.../vizio-tablets/ they have a lot more there then here. Here they act like Vizio dosn't exist.

#7 GeoSlateDroid

GeoSlateDroid

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:48 PM

Saw some boxed Visio Tablets in the tablet clearance case at Big lots 3 days ago.

they had no prices and the store clerks said they hadn't yet been told what they were or the price.

(I think they were tablets - don't think they were portable tvs or players because of the shape)

#8 Administrator

Administrator

Administrator

• Global Administrator
  • 259 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:18 PM

Vizio grabbed a large share of the LCDTV market due to their low prices. Why pay $900 for a 40 inch 1080p LCD from Sony when you could get a same-specced TV from Vizio for half the price?
They won't make any headway into the tablet market with a $300 8" tablet. There's just way too much competition at that level regarding features/size/pricepoint. Not to mention, many people still view Vizio as a "cheap" label.