Android Tablets Forum banner

Questions and answers

11K views 66 replies 21 participants last post by  sphinx666 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I will provide step by step instructions, on how to do anything with your android tablet, just post your question on this forum and you will recieve a reply from me in a few days. I will also upload files to this forum so users who contact me are able to easily download them. I am happy to help dont hesitate to contact me! Thankyou

See less See more
Reactions: mishok
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
@benny2580

THIS IS FOR THE M009S TABLET. PLEASE DONT USE ON ANY OTHER!

Download: http://filefactory.com/file/cdd82af/n/Modroid-v7.zip

Extract the files.

Then replace the env_uboot in location:

\FirmwareInstall\env -

-Using the env_uboot i have attatched for M008s tablet

Then add rt3070sta.ko file in location:

\FirmwareInstall\packages\fs_patch\root_patch\lib\modules\2.6.32.9-default\

Then flash your tablet!

Its that simple, any problems please contact me i am happy to help.

Attachments

Reactions: mishok
#5 ·
@benny2580

Download: http://filefactory.c.../Modroid-v7.zip

Extract the files.

Then replace the env_uboot in location:

\FirmwareInstall\env -

-Using the env_uboot i have attatched for M008s tablet

Then add rt3070sta.ko file in location:

\FirmwareInstall\packages\fs_patch\root_patch\lib\modules\2.6.32.9-default\

Then flash your tablet!

Its that simple, any problems please contact me i am happy to help.
well thanks a lot sir , but maybe its not for my tablet.. i finish downloading it and i try all the option.. i format my sd card evrytime i change the option.. it only give me a blank screen... thanks anyway for your hard work.. have a great day...

#4 ·
I'm new to the tablet game and I'm trying to find out how to upgrade my new Herotab C8 to android 2.3 (gingerbread?). In doing Google searches I see the expression to "flash" the new operating system, and I'm not sure what that entails. I'd be most grateful for any explanation for "dummies". Thanks in advance.
Bob K.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ok for a first time flasher, you would prob think it would be dead complicated, but its really easy to do! below is the link where you download the files required to flash your tablet with the latest 2.3 firmware.
https://www.yousendit.com/dl?phi_action=app/orchestrateDownload&rurl=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.yousendit.com%252Ftransfer.php%253Faction%253Dbatch_download%2526batch_id%253DUnlCZ28rd0FwM2xFQlE9PQ

Then you can download a pdf tutorial: https://www.yousendit.com/dl?phi_action=app/orchestrateDownload&rurl=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.yousendit.com%252Ftransfer.php%253Faction%253Dbatch_download%2526batch_id%253DdkJwZGlqQzdCSnBFQlE9PQ

Or watch this video tutorial:

These should explain how to do it, any problems please let me know.
Hope i helped

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
I don't see how to ask you a question???

Sorry, I am a newbie!

I have an ARM CortexTM A8 ( Samsung S5PV210 ) PC Tablet
and I was hoping to get a step by step procedure for
mounting my SD memory card or a downloadable manual?

I suppose it starts with debugging and making sure your
tablet recogognizes the USB/SD memory?

Thanks
John M
[email address removed]

#11 ·
#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
The links below and videos tell you where to get the firmware for your tablet, a video telling you how to flash it with the new firmware. I am glad i found this atcually as it saves on me doing the re-search since someone has already done it for me.

Here is a short video showing where to get the file and how to flash it to your device. This ROM is from a Wopad TR718D and has android 2.2 with Full Market. If you don't know how to flash your device this go to this link first and download the rktools, install the driver rk281x, then connect your MID by holding the ESC while connecting, install the correct driver for your windows, then open up androidbatchupgrade and open the image you download and click upgrade but go to this link and follow the instructions but that link is for a 2.1 ROM that is rooted

http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?/topic/12854-how-to-flash-a-rooted-rom/

This next link is the actual link to the android 2.2 ROM which I talk about in this video but watch my other video first then watch this video. Here is this link.

http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?/topic/14507-wopad-froyo-custom-rom/

Remember to watch my other video first if you do not know how to flash located here...

The ROM's have been designed for capacitive touch screen. There are some that have settings in them for resistive touch. I believe this link here you can download and it has the settings in it for both. It is a sweet ROM for android 2.1.

http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?/topic/16186-romwopadslatedroid-steel170311/

Hope i helped

Any more questions dont hesitate to ask.

#14 ·
I have the 7 inch android 2.2 VIA8650 epad tablet pc and I am trying to get it hooked up to my 3G card. I bought the huawei220, I entered the device # and APN. The tablet recognizes the 3G, but for some reason it won't actually connect. Could someone plz help a sister out?

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
1st easy method to try (Thanks to crisorlando):

Go to udisk settings and umount the device
or to usb and deselect mass storage.

2nd method to try (Thanks to ffxx68):

This is a hack that I made on my wm8505-rooted device. You could give it a try here, but you need root access to a console on the device. I also not ensure the procedure will work as is on WM8650 (which has a different Kernel). Anyhow, this is what I did to make my "unsupported" 3G dongle to work.

1) Execute 'dmesg' on the rooted console terminal, which will report log kernel messages.

2) Plug in your USB 3G modem.

3) Keep trying 'dmesg' and observe output. It *should*, sooner or later, report messages from the 3G dongle. In my case it gave, after a few seconds or so:

-------
<6>usb 1-2.2: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 30
<3>hub 1-2:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 2
<6>usb 1-2.2: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 31
<6>usb 1-2.2: New USB device found, idVendor=05c6, idProduct=0015
<6>usb 1-2.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
<6>usb 1-2.2: Product: BMC CDMA Technologies MSM
<6>usb 1-2.2: Manufacturer: Qualcomm, Incorporated
<6>usb 1-2.2: SerialNumber: Data Interface
-------

The "CDMA Technologies ... Qualcomm, Incorporated" was indeed my 3G modem. Take a note of "idVendor" and "idProduct" (05c6, 0015 in my case).

4) On the console terminal, give the command:

echo "05c6 0015" > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id

(of course, you should replace "05c6 0015" with your modem vendor and product code)

This step will create a link for /dev/ttyUSB* to the 3G modem device. If you keep logging kernel messages with 'dmesg', something like this should appear:

--------------
<6>option 1-2.2:1.3: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
<6>usb 1-2.2: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0
<6>option 1-2.2:1.0: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
<6>usb 1-2.2: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB1
<6>option 1-2.2:1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
<6>usb 1-2.2: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB2
--------------

5) Still on the console, move to this directory (not sure if on the WM8650 is the same of WM8505; this is for 8505):

cd /system/etc/ppp

there I could find for example this script:

DeviceHW_E220.dia

I made a copy of it, as well as of the .conf configuration file referred therein, so that I could modify them freely:

cat ./mydevice.dia

#!/system/bin/sh
/system/bin/pppd \
/dev/ttyUSB0 \
115200 \
debug \
noauth \
user USER \
password PASSWD \
defaultroute \
noipdefault \
usepeerdns \
connect '/system/bin/chat -v -f /system/etc/ppp/mydevice.conf'

cat ./mydevice.conf

# /etc/ppp/gprs-connect-chat
# chat script for China Mobile, used HuaWei GTM900-B GPRS module.

TIMEOUT 40
ABORT "DELAYED"
ABORT "BUSY"
ABORT "ERROR"
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
ABORT "NO CARRIER"
TIMEOUT 40
'' \nAT
OK AT&F0
OK ATE0V1&C1&D2
OK ATE0
OK AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","web.omnitel.it"
OK ATD*99#
CONNECT ''

The only thing I changed with respect to the original configuration was "web.omnitel.it", which is the address of Vodafone Italy, 3G provider for the SIM I have in my dongle. Of course you should have an active UMTS service and enough money credit to (I'm telling this because my first trial failed just because I hadn't credit on my SIM).

Of course you should put your 3G SIM provider address, in your .conf file.

6) execute your script, with:

./mydevice.dia

If everything goes fine, the connection should be established and the 3G icon should appear on the Android top bar. Also, messages like these should appear in 'dmesg' output, reporting a successful pppd deamon activity:

-------------
<4>D/pppd ( 591): sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 <deflate 15> <deflate(old#) 15> <bsd v1 15>]
<4>D/pppd ( 591): rcvd [LCP ProtRej id=0x3
fd 01 01 00 0f 1a 04 78 00 18 04 78 00 15 03 2f]
<4>D/pppd ( 591): rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x3 <ms-dns1 10.11.12.13> <ms-dns3 10.11.12.14> <ms-wins 10.11.12.13> <ms-wins 10.11.12.14>]
<4>D/pppd ( 591): sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x4 <compress VJ 0f 01> <addr 0.0.0.0> <ms-dns1 10.11.12.13> <ms-dns3 10.11.12.14>]
<4>D/pppd ( 591): rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x0]
<4>D/pppd ( 591): sent [IPCP ConfNak id=0x0 <addr 0.0.0.0>]
<4>D/pppd ( 591): rcvd [IPCP ConfRej id=0x4 <compress VJ 0f 01>]
<4>D/pppd ( 591): sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x5 <addr 0.0.0.0> <ms-dns1 10.11.12.13> <ms-dns3 10.11.12.14>]
<4>D/pppd ( 591): rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x5 <addr 109.116.187.217> <ms-dns1 83.224.66.138> <ms-dns3 83.224.70.94>]
<4>D/pppd ( 591): sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x6 <addr 109.116.187.217> <ms-dns1 83.224.66.138> <ms-dns3 83.224.70.94>]
<4>D/pppd ( 591): rcvd [IPCP ConfAck id=0x6 <addr 109.116.187.217> <ms-dns1 83.224.66.138> <ms-dns3 83.224.70.94>]
<4>D/pppd ( 591): rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1]
<4>D/pppd ( 591): sent [IPCP ConfAck id=0x1]
<4>W/pppd ( 591): Could not determine remote IP address: defaulting to 10.64.64.64
<4>E/pppd ( 591): not replacing existing default route to ra0 [192.168.0.1]
<4>E/pppd ( 591): dont return
<4>I/pppd ( 591): local IP address 109.116.187.217
<4>I/pppd ( 591): remote IP address 10.64.64.64
<4>I/pppd ( 591): primary DNS address 83.224.66.138
<4>I/pppd ( 591): secondary DNS address 83.224.70.94
-------------

If anything fails... mhhh, well, I reached this point with a lot of trials, errors, Google, again trial, again errors, again Google, posting on forums, etc... So, good luck!

This link could also be of use >>>>> http://lars-bamberger.gmxhome.de/linux/E169.html

My method to try, which i believe is most likely to work:

Download and flash tablet with a different firmware, this i have heard has sorted out many problems with 3G connectivity, i will guide you through the process if you require any help just let me know.

what kernel version are you currently on?
Are you on android 2.1 or 2.2?
Is it a blue or green led version of the tablet?

Hope i helped

#16 ·
HELP I've bricked my Generic 7" Tablet it will not load anything at all...

I'm a nubee to the world of Tablets and Android OS.
I bought a 7" Tablet off Ebay and ended up with a chinese piece of junk.
The tablet looks like this one. My link

CPU: VIA 8505+ 300MHz ARM926EJ-S (see attached file)
Frequency: 600MHz
Hard Disk:2GB NAND Flash
Capacity: max 16GB
Display: 7 inch high definition LCD touch screen,convertible display 800 * 480
Operation system: Google Android 1.5
Net port: wireless Lan 802.11 b/g
1.3 MP camera

OS 1.6
kernel 2.6.29-00236-g4f9dbbb-dirty or kernel 2.6.29-00236-g4f8dbbb-dirty
build number 1.9-710Au

I was told it was a M009S model, so I have tried to flash it with the M009S ROM's and failed,
I had some success with ROM M001_1.9.0 (crap removed) 1.9.0 by Mp4 but the touch screen would not work.
I then tried a ROM called HONEYBEE V2.0 installed ok the screen blanked and the unit got real hot.

I now have a bricked tablet.

If anyone has this unit and has successfuly upgraded it PLEEEEAAAAASSSSSE let me know..

#17 ·
Ok mate, simple answer try re-flashing it with a firmware that worked for you, please can you provide a link to the website where you bought the tablet, as this could help me to get some info together for you if re-flashing it doesnt work.

Hope i helped

#19 ·
Could'nt answer that unless i had that tablet myself, the only thing that i can suggest is to try flashing it with different roms, such as modroid/singularity/uberoid

Good luck and hope i helped

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
@Senior_Citizen

You asked:
Hi, I read some of your posts and you sound very knowledgeable. I have a wondermedia 8650 7 inch tablet with a green led, but sometimes it's red and sometimes it's blue. I installed uberdroid and it works pretty good, but wifi can be difficult to connect and keep connected. I want to try singularity and I extracted it, then I put all the files on my sd card, put it in my tablet, then restarted. It didn't work. I posted in the singularity post that I don't know what files I need to put on my card to make it flash to singularity. Can you give me 'old man' instructions on how to get singularity on my mid 7? I wish I was younger and could grasp this easier.

Thanks,
Timothy

My reply:

THE BELOW INSTRUCTIONS WILL WORK FOR FLASHING ANY FIRMWARE SUCH AS MODROID/SINGULARITY/UBEROID
I RECCOMEND MODROID, HOWEVER IT IS YOUR CHOICE!

These instructions show how i flashed Slatedroid Singularity firmware, but they can be followed to work for ANY firmware!

Format sd card you are using for the tablet using "Fat 32" and then extract the files from Slatedroid Singularity M009s FINAL v4.zip. Open the file until you are left with "Firmware install" "Slatedroid Singularity M009s Final v4.txt" "wmt_scriptcmd" and "z4root_1.30.apk" (These files may be different files with different firmwares)
Drag "Firmware install" "Slatedroid Singularity M009s Final v4.txt" "wmt_scriptcmd" and "z4root_1.30.apk" all directly onto the root of your formatted sd card, then safely remove sd card from computer and put into your tablet. Turn tablet on and the firmware will be flashed onto the tablet (This will erase all current data on your tablet, but it is worth it! Maybe do a backup of files beforehand)

It will ask you to remove sd card after it has flashed firmware, then put sd card in pc and format again with "fat 32" before putting back in tablet.

Anyway when the firmware has been flashed onto device you need to do a market flush follow steps below:

Open Android Market and then Click on Home (launcher)

Go to Settings->Applications->Manage->Running
- Click Market
- Then Clear Cache (NOT CLEAR DATA!!!!)
- Then Force Stop
- Click Google Services Framework
- Click Clear Data
- Click Force Stop

Open Android Market (it will error this is GOOD!)

Shutdown and Restart the tablet
- Wait for Wireless to Kick In
- Wait for System to Finish Loading

Open Android Market
- If it opens without an error GREAT!
- If it opens with the same error... give it a couple minutes or multiple tries at opening (it will go through)
- You may want to just wait for it to tell you there are updates in the Market... it will definitely work from that point on.

Then open up market and sign in with your google account, obviously you will have needed to create one beforehand, from then on you will be able to access the full android market. Sign your google email account in with the email app as this is always useful, so apps can find your email easily.

Here are the Modroid v8 download links that may work with your tablet, just follow the above instructions to flash your tablet!

http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=1835

http://www.mediafire.com/?fzovu45ym7zxo3x

If you have any problems, or need any more info please contact me! Hope i helped

Edit:
I would like to add after further comment from Senior_Citizen (who looked at the list of files to put on sd card) ,that the files i have shown above will differ depending on what rom you are flashing.
For example Modroid doesnt have z4root in the files you put on the sd card, but its still fully rooted, wheras Singularity does have z4root in the files to put on the sd card.
Any confusion with this dont hesitate to contact me.

#21 ·
Thanks Randomkid. With the help of a more knowledgable user than me, I got Singularity installed. I'm having two issues, I guess they're not too bad, but wifi can be difficult to connect to, and sometimes when my unit times out and turns off, it takes pressing the on button a few times to get it back on. One thing I see in your instructions that I didn't do is, I didn't install "z4root_1.30.apk". Can I install it now, while I have already loaded a lot of files on my sd card, or should I wipe the card clean when I install it? (I notice when I try to install Titanium backup, it tells me it can't find root privelages, so maybe that z4root file is what I'm missing?)

Can you tell me what some of the differences I might see on my green led mid 7 between Modroid and Singularity?

I'm sorry my questions are so basic. I probably could have grasped this stuff a little better several decades ago. Thanks so much for your reply.
Timothy

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
@Senior_Citizen

Ok first of all yes you should be able to install z4root_1.30.apk using a file browser, and then installing from there, so you dont have to format sd card at all! (Just remember where you put the file lol) Thats if you are keeping Singularity!

The wifi is very random on the singularity rom, and it works sometimes but not always (Great rom but needs some issues fixing)

Modroid; followed by the posts links in the last post i made on page 1, is just the best rom that is available for your tablet (in my opinion) It is based on the latest 1.5.1 build thats available for your tablet, wheras singularity is currently only based on the 1.5.0 build, the difference between the builds is stability improvements, speed enhancements, and altogether a much better tablet.

Singularity is a fantastic rom, but i currently much prefer Modroid, because it is based on the latest 1.5.1 build (which overall is much better) Also Wicknix who created this rom i believe has applied fixes to the wifi, because of issues that people have been having (like yourself) It also comes fully rooted, meaning you dont have to mess around getting z4root to work! It has the latest android market which has been updated to 3.1.3, and the framework looks a hell of alot better than the original framework, as it has a customised green framework.

I would strongly advise you to re-flash your tablet with the modroid rom, its just so much better in every way! However it is your choice and i know it can take some time flashing a tablet, after numerous flashing! Let me know what you decide to do and i will guide you through any process that you may require.

If its easier for you here is a link to the latest modroid release:
http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/20864-rom-universal-modroid-v8-based-on-151-by-wicknix/

Hope i helped

#23 ·
Thanks. I got stuck at the Modroid-v8 loading screen. I replaced the env_uboot file and the wmt_scriptcmd file from a previous uberoid download, but it still got stuck in the Modroid loading screen. How many of these files do I need to put on the root of the sd card? Maybe I'm not putting the right files on the card, or maybe I'm putting too many of them

Colorfulness Rectangle Font Line Software

Attachments

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
@Senior_Citizen

I checked your files and they are all correct however please read below info to fix your issue.

To install do the following:
Format a 1,2 or 4 gig SD card to FAT32 (larger cards may not work)
Extract the contents of the zip file to your SD card
Run changer.bat (from the sd card) and select the number of the device you have
Insert SD card into your device and power on
The upgrade will run automatically. When it's finished wait about 45 seconds before removing your SD card when it tells you to.
The device will reboot into Modroid (first boot after upgrading may take up to 5 minutes)

If you get stuck at the "modroid loading" screen for more than 5 minutes try another number in the changer.bat and flash again, or use
the env_uboot and wmt_scriptcmd files from your devices factory firmware (So if they worked on Singularity as you said just swap the files)

Thanks to wicknix for providing that info!

Edit Please Read Try This First:
Replace the file that you require with the below location!
Location of env_uboot to replace:
\FirmwareInstall\env

If you have a green led tablet that doesnt vibrate you need to rename GREEN-NO-VIBRATE_env_uboot to env_uboot.

If you have a green led tablet that does vibrate you need to rename GREEN-WITH-VIBRATE_env_uboot to env_uboot.

If you have a green led tablet that works with dual point touch then you need to rename GreenLedVibDualPointTouch.env_uboot to env_uboot.

To make it easier for you i have attatched the files which may work with your tablet, all you have to do is download the correct one for your tablet and then rename it to "env_uboot" and replace it in location: \FirmwareInstall\env then flash your tablet again. If the first doesnt work (even if you are sure its the correct one) then try flashing it using the other files i have attatched (including Other env_uboots as a final option). If that doesnt work then try the above info provided by wicknix, but i am fairly confident it will.

Hope i helped

Attachments

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
@Senior_Citizen

You said:
Thanks so much. I Modroid installed. It looks really nice, except somehow, my screen loaded crooked. How I can straighten my screen so that it's not crooked?

One more question, is there an easy way to calibrate the screen after shortcut or easier way to calibrate after flashing?

Thanks again for all your help.

Timothy

My reply:
What do you mean your screen is crooked? Is this permanent or just on bootup? If its permanent you may have to try re-flashing with another env_uboot. The link below is a way to position the views properly but thats only for advanced users i wouldnt chance it myself:
http://thinkandroid.wordpress.com/2010/01/14/how-to-position-views-properly-in-layouts/

Also what method did you use to get it working? did you use mine by replacing the env_uboot file? Could prove useful with other members, if you manage to get another env_uboot working with the screen.

Sorry but i dont believe that there is an easy way to calibrate the screen.

I have replied to your other quesion via message.

Hope i helped

#26 ·
Thanks. The menu bar at the top is a little closer to the top edge of the screen on the left than it is on the right. It's not a big problem. To get it working, I used the env_uboot instructions you sent me and although I thought my device should have used option 1 under the bat file since I believe it's a MID v7, it got hung on the Modroid loading screen, so I tried option 7 and it loaded up fine.

Thanks,
Timothy

#27 · (Edited by Moderator)
You said:
I can't thank you enough for all your help. Your kindness and excellent instructions are helping this old man do things that I can't wait to show my son I did. He won't believe it... One more question, if my device is rooted, do I need to be concerned about any personal data? I often use my device to pay bills, logging into paypal and banks. Should I install any type of security app?

Thanks,
Timothy

My reply:
That question is a tricky one, i mean its obvious that by rooting your tablet you are allowing third party apps to be installed on your tablet. So long as you are careful with what apps you install you should be fine. The apps should have been checked by android anyway, although there has been some security breaches that i have heard of. A security scanner is essential if you are going to be using your tablet for paypal etc... However it can kill battery life if left on auto scan, and it can get rather tiresome doing the scans yourself. Personally i wouldnt reccomend using it for Paypal etc... But obviously its your choice.

Here is a link to a antivirus scanner compatible with your tablet:
https://market.android.com/details?id=org.qstar.guardx&feature=related_apps

I havent tested the antivirus scanner, but it says its compatible, let me know if it isnt and i will look for another.

Edit: If you want any tips/tutorials on how to increase battery life on the tablet please message me, i have numerous methods which many people are unaware of.
Im glad you have found my instructions useful and am happy to help with any future queries.

Hope i helped

#30 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello from a tablet user in Australia

I have a question.

Hopefully, you have an answer.

When I was in China (My trip of a lifetime) I bought a tablet in a box that identified it as an "irobot"

The back of it tried to mimic an ipad but its performance was not very ipad like.

It looks very similar to the tablet in this post http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/21065-irobot/

I read a few posts and worked out that a proper identification of my tablet was very important before chosing a replacement firmware.

To identify it I attempted to get Quick system info.

This was very hard because I couldn't connect to the android market in a browser because I didn't have a phone on my google profile.

I succeeded after discovering how to do it via my PC. (Note to community. Hosting QSI in an easy way that gets it onto a new user's tablet would be very handy!)

So I looked at the info on my tablet.

Technical Specification

CPU and its Speed in MHz arm926ej-s rev 5 174.48mhz

Memory (RAM)256mb

NAND (HDD) in GB 0.618 MB

Card Reader Slot('s)1 SD slot

Screen in inches incl resolutuion like 800*600 7inch 800x 400

What Ports are available (USB(ODT, Standard, Mini) , RJ45, Audio, Power, Antenna (GPS etc.) PLUG In usbx2 rj45

internal Modem (what type) nil

internal GPS (which?) nil

Firmware version 1.6
Kernal version2.6.29.00236-g4f8dbbb-dirty
Build number wmt1.9.1_8

Not very impressive but worthy of an ungrade.

I searched for a firmware and settled upon Modroid V9.

No matter what I did, it wouldn't update.

I chose a different one thinking that maybe it was so "wrong" that the tablet wouldn't use it.

So I got a second firmware. Vestinious.

Again no update.

So perhaps I have two questions.

Have I chosen the right firmware?

And is the firmware in my tablet unable to be updated via sdcard?

Thanks for reading this far.

Cheers

Colin

#32 ·
Please login to your android google account on your computer, and find an app that is incompatible with your tablet (probably a 3d game such as asphault 5) then it will say "this app is incompatible with ........" which will identify your tablet. After doing this i will guide you through the process of flashing it.
Hope i helped

#38 ·
Thanks for the great effort Randomkid

I have been looking into the sites you listed.

1 I downloaded the firmware as a backup but I noticed that it refers to the firmware being suitable for version 2 (more later) and it updates via usb.

2 Look at the Chinese site but haven't used anything from there as my tablet only has 256mb of memory.

3 Contacted the ebay seller and asked if his firmware would work on my tablet. He replied

Sorry what i have is just for wmt2, nothing for wmt1. I think what you have is a new hybrid. You can try this forum: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/ . There are lots of firmware builder there, particularly look for the mod named Tipster as he a known firmware/rom builder, thanks

Since I don't have a new hybrid but an older tablet I am still not sure that his firmware would not work ( a pity that he doesn't have a shareware version)

Back to 1 this website shows pics of a very different version to mine that has a power switch that is a slider and usb ports whereas mine has a press button power switch and the usbs are on a addon adaptor.

My firmware is updated by sd card and the instructions for updating firmware 1 uses the usb port on the tablet.

So I think I have come to another dead end.

Do you know what the WMT version represents?

Is it possible that the firmware in 1 would work if it updates by sd card?

Is it possible that my firmware doesn't include the ability to update?

Where to next?

Cheers

Colin

#39 ·
I am afraid i dont know where to proceed with this investigation, im sure there must be some way of doing it, i know you said you bought it whilst in China, which is a shame as i doubt you are able to contact the seller. The next thing to do is to find the exact same model as yours on ebay (or such like) and ask the seller whether or not if the tablet can be upgraded (dont mention you already own one). If he replies with "yes" ask if he can provide a link for you. If he says "upon purchase" tell him you own the tablet, and ask if you can purchase the web link he is offering seperately for a couple of quid. If after this you are still stuck i would suggest you buy a new tablet (if you are really desperate for an upgraded one) Tell me your price range and i would be more than happy to help you choose.

Hope i helped

#42 ·
Hi randomkid,

Thanks for your offer.
I have a wm8650 tablet, android 2.2, rooted, and need to connect a modem Huawei via USB.
3G network launcher does not know how to configure the usb.
If I run: usb_modeswitch -c /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf in adb shell it works fine, and then I can connect to 3G network with the launcher.

My question is, how can I run a script from the touchscreen (without adb) to get usb_modeswitch running?

Best regards,
Pablo

#43 ·
#45 ·
Hello Randomkid-

I flashed my WM8650 (Enken M0009)with Roger's Vetinious M009s 1.3.6 and it loaded fine and I can get it to boot up, however my touch screen does not work any more.. I sent an PM to Roger for any ideas, and still waiting (just sent it) but figured I would reach out to others on the forum. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Nathan

#48 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yeah sounds like you flashed the wrong env_uboot file. Go onto page 2 of this forum and look at the reply i gave to @Senior_Citizen and download the correct env_uboot for your tablet, you need to replace it by renaming it to env_uboot. Let me know how it goes

Look for this title on page 2>>Edit Please Read Try This First:

#49 ·
#50 ·
9.7" ebad 2

eken 1.5.1 for m008s is working but G sensor is rung up side down and screen tuch need calpration by using muose first then working good after that
market and WIFI is good ,only front CAM is working but as the G sensor rung it is also in rumg dirction
it will be ok after we can calprate G sensor and solving Cam problom
thanks

#52 ·
Yeah this can be a problem in these tablets, has something to do with the new kernel, flash a rom with a 3.1.3 kernel and it should fix your problem. Any other queries please contact me thanks

#53 ·
Flashing a new rom, should be possible, but you need to identify it first, i think there is a forum on slatedroid to identify them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.