New Firmware for the Nova

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#1 sonarman

sonarman

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:06 PM

Snooping around, I saw a new firmware for the same model number. It has a -2 after it

http://mirror.pandig...lets/R70A200-2/

I think it is for the Nova, think it will work?
  • dean_winchester likes this

#2 iyccyi

iyccyi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:15 PM

just tried it... doesn't work on the Planet :(

#3 lj_brown

lj_brown

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 01:24 PM

Received an auto update this morning from Pandigital......date was 8092011.........not sure what it corrected but the Nova seems to be ok with the change.

#4 jjm6383

jjm6383

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:55 PM

I received an auto update today. I haven't had the wireless on for a few days. I did the update, and now I can't the wireless to find an open or closed network. I used the Add Wi-Fi network line to add my local network, and it gives me a not in range error message.

The nova also did not save the old firmware before installing the new. The file installed was: PR71_A_BN_W_A_X_08102011.zip Does anyone have an earlier version I can install?

Thanks

#5 dy57

dy57

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:34 PM

I received an auto update today. I haven't had the wireless on for a few days. I did the update, and now I can't the wireless to find an open or closed network. I used the Add Wi-Fi network line to add my local network, and it gives me a not in range error message.

The nova also did not save the old firmware before installing the new. The file installed was: PR71_A_BN_W_A_X_08102011.zip Does anyone have an earlier version I can install?

Thanks

Try this link to the pandigital archive :

http://mirror.pandig..._C_07292011.zip

#6 jdrcapecod

jdrcapecod

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:00 PM

Is it OK to update to the latest firmware once you have rooted and installed Android Market? I am afraid to update since I don't want to have to start all over again.

I used the FW update app and it tells me that there is a newer version than I am using...I think that I am using 729 right now.

#7 DLM22

DLM22

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:24 PM

Hi im just wondering if there's gonna be a Cyanogen type rom for the Nova?

#8 dropletguy

dropletguy

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:19 PM

The first thing I did w/my Nova was run the Firmware update; version is now: PR71_A_BN_W_A_C_08102011.
A previous post mentioned the updater downloaded this file: PR71_A_BN_W_A_X_08102011.zip

Question: After running the update, is this file retained in the internal memory? Where does this .zip file reside and how can I delete it?

I want to root my Nova, but now I'm afraid that the above firmware file is lurking somewhere on the Nova and if I try the root procedure my Nova will be bricked. The procedure stresses that the first thing to be sure of is that there are no other updater files on the tablet.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

#9 dropletguy

dropletguy

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:56 AM

The first thing I did w/my Nova was run the Firmware update; version is now: PR71_A_BN_W_A_C_08102011.
A previous post mentioned the updater downloaded this file: PR71_A_BN_W_A_X_08102011.zip

Question: After running the update, is this file retained in the internal memory? Where does this .zip file reside and how can I delete it?

I want to root my Nova, but now I'm afraid that the above firmware file is lurking somewhere on the Nova and if I try the root procedure my Nova will be bricked. The procedure stresses that the first thing to be sure of is that there are no other updater files on the tablet.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Nevermind about finding the updater file. It was a Homer Simpson "D'Oh!" moment -- just connect the Nova to your computer via USB cable, put it in disk mode and then explore the internal storage and there it is. So I removed it and saved it on my desktop machine.

Question still remains, however, has anyone tried to root the Nova running the 08102011 firmware?

Thanks again in advance!

#10 bigboyzback

bigboyzback

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationTamp Fla.

Posted 02 October 2011 - 01:05 AM

Nevermind about finding the updater file. It was a Homer Simpson "D'Oh!" moment -- just connect the Nova to your computer via USB cable, put it in disk mode and then explore the internal storage and there it is. So I removed it and saved it on my desktop machine.

Question still remains, however, has anyone tried to root the Nova running the 08102011 firmware?

Thanks again in advance!

I have to ask the question can you post a copy of the zip file of the latest firmware update ?? I am having a problem with my rooted 7in. pandigital NOVA tablet...I update the market and the APPS. OK....but it has made my home button non functional...I was told in other parts of the forum that all that I have to do is to reinstall the latest update and the home button would work again...I am hoping this will work...thats why I need a copy of the latest firmware update for the NOVA...I really hate the fact that PANDIGITAL has gone to automatic updating now for all of it tablets...especially the NOVA model....if anybody can help me I would really appreciate it...

#11 jondar

jondar

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 11:55 AM

Current Nova firmware should be in this directory on PD's site: R70F452

#12 bigboyzback

bigboyzback

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationTamp Fla.

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:51 PM

thanx for the ZIP.....

#13 bigboyzback

bigboyzback

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationTamp Fla.

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:46 PM

Current Nova firmware should be in this directory on PD's site: R70F452

I applied this firmware update form my SD card and I got the following error:
assert failed: !less_than_int(1312909289, getprop("ro.build.date.utc"))
E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Statis 7)
Installation aborted

PLEASE TELL ME...do I do something wrong ????

home button still doesnt work.....

I noticed in the parent directory of the mirror site of the FW updates there is other updates close to the one you told me to use..R U sure that the one you gave me is correct ??
what would happen if I tried a different one ??
I dont want to brick my tablet..I'm just askin...LOL

Edited by bigboyzback, 02 October 2011 - 04:57 PM.

#14 bigboyzback

bigboyzback

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationTamp Fla.

Posted 02 October 2011 - 05:08 PM

I applied this firmware update form my SD card and I got the following error:
assert failed: !less_than_int(1312909289, getprop("ro.build.date.utc"))
E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Statis 7)
Installation aborted

PLEASE TELL ME...do I do something wrong ????

home button still doesnt work.....

I noticed in the parent directory of the mirror site of the FW updates there is other updates close to the one you told me to use..R U sure that the one you gave me is correct ??
what would happen if I tried a different one ??
I dont want to brick my tablet..I'm just askin...LOL

I mean I love my now rooted NOVA 7 in. tablet with the updated market..there is a newer version of the market but I am told its unstable...so the one that I have is fine but I would love for my home button to WORK....

#15 jondar

jondar

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:15 PM

I don't own a Nova and am not really familiar with that unit; you asked for a copy of the latest firmware and that was what I linked for you.

According to a post at the-ebook-reader.com, he used the 08092011 update, which you'll find here. You may want to give that one a try instead, assuming that you're already running the 08102011 version like he was.

#16 bigboyzback

bigboyzback

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationTamp Fla.

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:06 PM

I don't own a Nova and am not really familiar with that unit; you asked for a copy of the latest firmware and that was what I linked for you.

According to a post at the-ebook-reader.com, he used the 08092011 update, which you'll find here. You may want to give that one a try instead, assuming that you're already running the 08102011 version like he was.

thanx for all your help in trying to fix the problem I will try that earlier update and see what happens....if it doesnt help me....I will have to wait for pandigital to release the next auto update to fix the problem.....

#17 bigboyzback

bigboyzback

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationTamp Fla.

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:05 PM

here is something I just found out....I have model number#R70F400....the mirror site that you gave me says that the firmware update #PR71 A BN W A C 08232011...BUT WHEN I START MY TABLET IT SAYS THE FIRMWARE # IS PR73 A BN W A C 08292011....THATS WHY I AM GETTING THE ERROR MESSAGE...WHERE CAN I FIND THE THE UPDATE STARTING IN PR73 ??? CAN ANYBODY HELP ME ?? I am begining to think that I have some kind of experimental firmware in this Tablet....because of the update starting with the # PR73 instead of what the company mirror site says it should be of PR71...I am begining to think that I will have to just be ok with the homw button not working until the company auto updates the firmware automatically...

Edited by bigboyzback, 03 October 2011 - 01:52 PM.

#18 jondar

jondar

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:48 PM

here is something I just found out....I have model number#R70F400....the mirror site that you gave me says that the firmware update #PR71 A BN W A C 08232011...BUT WHEN I START MY TABLET IT SAYS THE FIRMWARE # IS PR73 A BN W A C 08292011....THATS WHY I AM GETTING THE ERROR MESSAGE...WHERE CAN I FIND THE THE UPDATE STARTING IN PR73 ???

You do appear to have a newer version of the firmware - you can find the PR73 0829 file here.

Out of curiosity, where did you purchase your Nova?

Edited by jondar, 03 October 2011 - 02:48 PM.

#19 bigboyzback

bigboyzback

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationTamp Fla.

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:11 PM

You do appear to have a newer version of the firmware - you can find the PR73 0829 file here.

Out of curiosity, where did you purchase your Nova?

from QVC...you know the home shopping channel...I paid $179.00 I will give that update a shot...but that was the whole problem I think..we will see..I will post the results...thanx again..for going out of your way for this...

#20 bigboyzback

bigboyzback

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationTamp Fla.

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:53 PM

well JonDar...it worked...apparently when I rooted the nova thats what took away the home button function....I thought it was the market install...but I was wrong it was the rooting that took it...when I got the right update from you..the PR73 FW update and reinstalled it I got the home button back...BUT...then when I did that...it took away the market install...so I then reinstalled the market update and now everything works including the market and the home button.....so you can pass it on to whoever has the problem with there home button to follow these steps...once again thanx for all your help...but I will tell you this...this rooting thing and the market install is not for the novice to try...good thing I am not new to doing this sort of thing....I can root phones..but this is the first time I have rooted a tablet....my name is Ivan by the way...thru all your help on this...you have made a NEW friend THANX...................