1 reply to this topic

#1 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,100 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:07 PM

Information and images taken directly from the Pandigital Nova (R70F400/R70F452) User Guide.

PD Nova R70F400/R70F452 (v1.5 epub) User Guide Mirrored here. Thanks Mark Adams!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Technical Specifications
  • 7” ActivetouchTM Digital TFT LCD: Resolution 600x800 pixels
  • Device Dimensions: Outer case: 5.25”w x 7.5”h Weight: 13.7 oz.
  • Android OS: Version 2.3.4
  • Compatible Media Sources: Up to 32GB microSD (SDHC) card
  • 2 cameras, front 0.3MP and back 1.3MP
  • Mini USB 2.0 Host/OTG
  • Internal Storage: 4GB
  • Wireless: Wi-Fi (802.11 B/G/N)
  • HDMI output port - D type female connector
  • Battery: Li-ion rechargeable 3400mAh, 3.7V
  • Built-in microphone
  • Built-in stereo speaker
  • Stereo-mini earphone jack
Package Contents
  • 7” Pandigital Nova Tablet eReader
  • AC Adapter
  • USB Cable
  • Quick Start Guide
  • User Guide (preloaded in device)
Compatible File Formats
  • eBooks = EPUB, PDF
  • Photos = JPG, JPEG, BMP, PNG, non-animated GIF
  • Audios = MP3, WAV, AAC
  • Videos = Codecs supported: MPEG4, H.264, H.263, WMV, DivX HD/XviD, VC-1. File formats supported: 3GP, AVI, FLV, 3GPP, MOV, MP4, 3G2
OfficeSuite Compatible File Formats
  • Word = DOC, DOCX
  • Excel = XLS, XLSX, CSV
  • Power Point = PPT, PPS, PPTX, PPSX
  • Text = TXT, PDF

Power Button Usage
Turn On: Press and hold the power button 3 seconds.
Turn Off: Press and hold the power button for 3 seconds tap Power off OK to confirm the power off.
Sleep Mode On/Off (energy saver): To save battery energy, while the unit is on you can turn sleep mode on/off by pressing & releasing the power button quickly.
To unlock the screen after power on or after sleep mode, finger-slide the Unlock bar Posted Image towards the Sound bar Posted Image.
Turn Sound Off/On: You can quickly and conveniently turn the device sounds off/on by sliding the Sound bar towards the Unlock bar . When sounds are off, the Sound bar changes to Posted Image. Slide again to turn the sounds back on.

Reset device: In the event that the device does not respond to your touch, you can reboot/restart it by pressing and holding the power button for 6 seconds.

LED Indicator
LED Green: Beginning power on; goes off after 6-8 seconds.
LED off: Device is on or off.
Red LED on: Device is off or in sleep mode, connected to power adapter charging battery.

Navigation Buttons The navigation buttons at the bottom of the device can be used as follows:

Posted Image Home: to return to the Home screen from any app. Press and hold to display the most recent apps you launched, then simply tap on an app icon to re-launch.
Posted Image Menu: Display the Home screen Function Menu. Display individual application Menu options.
Posted Image Return: Return to previous screens. Clear pop-up menus. In the Reader, turns pages back.
Posted Image Search: Perform a quick web search. In the Reader, turns pages forward.

Touch-Screen Navigation
Tap = simple touch and release of your finger.
Touch & hold = touch your finger and hold in place until a response by the application.
To open a menu for customizing the Home screen, touch and hold in an empty area on the screen until the menu appears. If the menu does not appear, you may have reached the maximum number of items on the Home screen. You can slide the Home screen horizontally to expose available blank space and then try again.
Touch & drag = touch & hold an item for a moment, and without lifting your finger, move your finger on the screen until you reach the target position.
Finger-slide = quick light touch & slide your finger across the screen and release.

Pinch-Screen Zoom This device supports the “pinch-screen” zoom feature to zoom in and out on application screens.
Zoom in: Spread finger and thumb, place on screen and “pinch” together.
Zoom out: Place finger and thumb together on screen and slide apart.
* Not all applications support the Pinch-Screen zoom feature.

microSD (SDHC) Card: The device supports up to 32GB microSD (SDHC) cards.

Accessories & Peripherals: The device’s miniUSB-OTG port supports many USB accessories and peripherals (i.e., keyboards, mouse) that you can purchase locally where electronics are sold.

Home Screen

Posted Image

1. Notification icons (i.e., Email, SD card, downloads, etc.). Finger-slide down on the notification to view the details, then tap on a detail listing to access corresponding application.
2. Wi-Fi connection status/ Battery charge level status /Indicates Alarms are activated / Current Date and Time
3. Widgets (i.e., Web Search) and Shortcuts can be added to the Home screen.
4. The My Books widget shows two most recently read books, and the most recently read magazine and newspaper. Simply tap on a cover to open the media file again.
5. The My Wi-Fi widget allows quick access to set up and connect to a local Wi-Fi network. After successful connection, simply tap the globe icon to launch the browser.
6. Dots on left and right side of screen indicate the visible screen of the 5 available screens. Tap the left or right dots (or finger-slide the screen) to display extended screens.
** Touch & hold [the grid icon] to pop up thumbnails of all 5 screens. Tap on a screen to display it.
7. Settings quick launch icon.
8. Applications screen quick launch icon.
9. Browser quick launch icon.
  • Tap on any application icon or widget to launch it.
  • Touch, hold and slide icons or widgets to reposition them on the screen.
  • Touch, hold and slide icons onto [the trashcan] to remove them from the Home screen. Removed application icons remain on the Applications screen allowing you to copy them back onto the Home screen later if desired.
Applications Screen
On the Home screen, tap [The grid icon] to access the Applications screen. As you add third party applications later, you may need to finger-slide the screen vertically to see more application icons that are not visible on the screen.

Included Apps:
AppInstaller Use to install and uninstall third party AndroidTM applications.
Barnes & Noble Shop on the Barnes & Noble Bookstore, download purchased media, and access My Library.
Browser Access the Internet and ‘surf the web’ whenever desired.
Calculator Use the calculator for basic math equations. (+ - x ÷).
Calendar Display monthly calendar and schedule events.
Camera Use front or back built-in camera to take pictures or videos.
Clock Digital clock screen with scheduled alarms functionality.
Dictionary Quick access to the built-in dictionary.
Downloads View history of items you’ve downloaded from websites. You can also open and delete downloads.
Email Send/Receive email using your existing email addresses.
ES File Explorer ~ View and manage files and apps, and backup files to your SD card. You can also use for installing third party AndroidTM applications.
Facebook ~ Quick access to the Facebook website.
Firmware Update Update the device firmware.
Gallery View and manage photo files (JPG, JPEG, BMP, PNG, non-animated GIF). Play and manage MPEG4 video files.
GetJar Market offering free and purchasable third party AndroidTM applications.
HDMI Switch Set the HDMI resolution for the HDMI connection to view videos on your TV (cable not included).
InTouch Quick connect and view your Facebook, Twitter, Gmail, and RSS news feed data all in one easy place.
Music Play and manage audio files (MP3, WAV and AAC).
Notes Convenient and quick way to write yourself notes using the keypad or drawing with your finger.
OfficeSuite Viewer ~ Open and view files of the following formats: DOC, DOCX, TXT, XLS, XLSX, CSV, PPT, PPTX, PPS, PPSX and PDF
Search Quickly perform a web search.
Settings Set many settings for personalizing and enhancing the device as desired.
U Player View popular YouTube videos.
Video Player Used for playing additional video formats not supported by the Gallery and ES File Explorer media players.
Weather Check the weather forecasts for locations of your choice. Set up multiple locations for quick viewing.

Anyone interested in updating and adding to the Pandigital Wiki, Please send Mark Adams a PM to request access.
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary - Not even OEM FW is guaranteed "safe" to flash.

Hey! Newbies (n00bs) - Click the blue links ;) - Forum Rules

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." ~James Dean
"Slatedroid: Where all the advice is free, even advice you don't want." ~Mark Adams #113449
"Women are Angels. When someone breaks our wings - we simply continue to fly - on a broomstick. We are flexible like that."

Posted Image ~cheers ;)

#2 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,100 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:32 PM

Frequently Asked Questions

ADOBE DIGITAL EDITIONS
Q: Does the device support Adobe books?
A: Yes. You can transfer Adobe and other media to the device using the free Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) software to transfer them to the device.

Q: What are the system requirements for ADE?
A: ADE is supported on Windows and MAC computers. The system requirements can be found on the Adobe website: http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/systemreqs/

Q: Does the device support ADE eBooks which are DRM-protected?
A: Yes, as long as the eBook is in .epub or .pdf format.

Q: Does the device support eBooks borrowed from a public library using a global distributor such as Overdrive.com?
A: Yes. Download the books to your computer and then use the free Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) software to transfer them to the device.

ANDROID
Q: What Android OS version is on the device?
A: 2.3.4

Q: What Android applications are compatible with the device?
A: Applications which are compatible with Android OS 2.3.4. However, as of the writing of this document, many third party Android applications have been designed for smart phones, so even though they are compatible with OS 2.3.4, all functions may not be available on the device.

Q: How do I install Android applications on the device?
A: Use the included AppInstaller application. You can also download & install applications directly from websites.

Q: When trying to install Android applications, why do I get “Install blocked” message?
A: Be sure the “Unknown sources” option is turned on under Settings > Applications > Unknown sources.

APPINSTALLER
Q: Can I use the AppInstaller to install all Android application?
A: The AppInstaller may not recognize some apps. If this case, try using the ES File Explorer application to install the apps.

BARNES & NOBLE APPLICATION
Q: Do I need an account with Barnes & Noble to download from their site?
A: You need an account and free or purchased media in your Barnes & Noble online library before you can download to the device.

Q: How do I sign into my Barnes & Noble account on the device?
A: The first time you tap the B&N Bookstore or B&N Library tabs, you are prompted for your Barnes & Noble login information.

Q: Can I sign in with multiple Barnes & Noble accounts to download to my device?
A: Yes, however you can only be signed into one account at a time and only the media downloaded from the current account is displayed in My Library. If you sign out of an account, the downloaded media is removed from My Library.

Q: How do I purchase media from Barnes & Noble?
A: In the B&N Bookstore, scroll through the media listings and tap on the Buy Now button on the desired media.

Q: How do I download media to the device after I purchase them from Barnes & Noble?
A: After purchasing the media, you are prompted to download immediately or later. If you don’t download immediately, at any later time you can go into the B&N Library and tap on the media’s Download button.

Q: How do I add media to My Library?
A: You can download media during the Barnes & Noble purchase process, from the B&N Library, import media from your SD card, or copy media files from your computer (see “Connect to Computer” section). All media files must reside in the \ebooks folder in the device.

Q: Can I create personal bookshelves for organizing my media?
A: Yes. Refer to the “My Library > Bookshelves” section.

Q: How does the Lend/Return Books feature work?
A: You can lend or borrow Barnes & Noble “lendable” eBooks to/from other Barnes & Noble users. Barnes & Noble determines which books are “lendable”

Q: Can I loan or borrow books from other brands of eReaders, such as a Nook?
A: Yes.

Q: How long can I lend or keep a borrowed book?
A: 14 days, at which time they are automatically returned to the lender if they have not already been returned.

Q: Can I view media files in either vertical or horizontal orientation?
A: Yes, to automatically switch viewing orientation, simply turn the device while viewing.

Q: Does the Reader have a built-in Dictionary?
A: Yes. On a page, touch & hold on the word you want to look up then tap [the dictionary icon].

Q: Can I read books stored on my SD card?
A: Yes. Be sure to save the book files in a \eBooks folder on your SD card, otherwise they won’t be displayed in My Library.

BASIC FUNCTIONALITY
Q: Do I have to charge the battery before use?
A: For a full charge (100%), you should charge the battery for 5 to 6 hours,but the battery will charge to 99% after approximately 3 hours. You can use the device while it’s charging. Use the included AC adapter to charge; this device does not charge via the USB cable.

Q: My unit seems to be frozen and is unresponsive. What do I do?
A: Reset the device by pressing and holding the power button for 6 seconds.

Q: I have attempted to perform a firmware update but it consistently fails.
A: If the device has a low battery charge, you may not be able to perform a successful update. Connect the device to the AC adapter and then try again.

Q: Why doesn’t the device read my SD card?
A: If you format a SD card using a Macintosh computer, you must use the FAT32 option when formatting the card, otherwise the device will not read it.

Q: Why do I see references to “phone” in some of the setup screens and various pop-up messages?
A: This is a result of the Android OS framework and should be ignored as it does not affect the intended operation of the device.

Q: How do I contact Customer Support?
A: If this FAQ section doesn’t answer your questions, you can contact Customer Support through our website www.pandigital.net/support.

BROWSER
Q: Do I need a separate Wi-Fi adapter to connect to the Internet?
A: No. The Wi-Fi adapter is built-in to the device.

Q: Can I have multiple browser windows open at the same time?
A: Yes, up to 8 windows. See the Browser section for instructions.

Q: Can I change browser settings?
A: Yes. There are multiple settings you can set as desired, including privacy & security options. See the Browser section for instructions.

Q: Can I bookmark web pages?
A: Yes. Use the browser Bookmarks function.

CAMERA / VIDEO RECORDER
Q: How do I switch between camera and video player?
A: Slide the button from camera mode to video mode .

Q: How do I view photos taken with the camera?
A: Use the Gallery application.

Q: How do I view videos taken with the camera?
A: Use either the Gallery application or the Video Player application.

Q: Why are the photos or videos I took with the camera not available in the Gallery?
A: In rare instances, the photos or videos taken by the device camera do not appear in the Gallery. If this happens, press [Return] to exit the Gallery, and then launch the Gallery application again.

COMPUTER COMPATIBILITY
Q: Which media cards are compatible with my device?
A: Up to 32GB microSD (SDHC) card.

Q: Which Operating Systems are compatible with my device?
A: Microsoft Windows XP, WINDOWS VISTA, WINDOWS 7, MAC OS.

Q: How do I connect my device with my computer?
A: Use the USB cable included with the device, or any standard USB cable (see “Connect to Computer” section).

EMAIL
Q: Can I use any of my personal email addresses to send/receive email?
A: The device supports POP3, IMAP and EXCHANGE accounts. Some free email accounts are not supported on mobile devices. Check with your email provider to see if your account is supported.

ES FILE EXPLORER
Q: Can I use the ES File Explorer application to install third party Android applications that I’ve downloaded to my computer?
A: Yes, in fact it’s one of the easiest methods to use.

Q: Can I use ES File Explorer to import files from my SD card?
A: Yes. Refer to the Import section.

Q: Can I set application and function preferences?
A: Yes. While in an ES File Explorer screen, press [Menu] to display the function options.

FIRMWARE UPDATE
Q: How do I know if I need to update the device firmware?
A: To check for possible firmware updates, tap the FW Update application icon. A message appears advising you whether or not there is an update available for your device.

Q: What should I do if the firmware download begins but doesn’t progress past 0% in 5 minutes?
A: There may be a problem with the Pandigital server. Please contact customer support through the website: www.pandigital.net/support.

Q: If I update my device, what if I want to revert back to the previous version?
A: You can revert back if you want. Follow the “Revert back to Previous Firmware Version” instructions under the “Firmware Update” section.

GALLERY
Photos:
Q: What type of photo files can I view on my device?
A: JPG, JPEG, BMP, PNG, non-animated GIF

Q: How do I add photo files to the internal storage in my device?
A: You can copy photo files from your computer (see “Connect to Computer” section) or from a SD card using the Copy & Paste functions in the ES File Explorer application.

Videos:
Q: What type of video files can I play on my device?
A: MPEG4 and YouTube videos.

Q: How do I add video files to the internal storage in my device?
A: You can copy video files from your computer (see “Connect to Computer” section) or from a SD card using the Copy & Paste functions in the ES File Explorer application.

GetJar
Q: Do I need a GetJar account to download applications?
A: No, all applications are FREE.

Q: What kind of applications are available from the GetJar market?
A: There are thousands of applications categorized by type (i.e., Games, Entertainment, Educational, etc.). And new applications are added to the market daily.

Q: Does every application listed in the market work on my device?
A: Not all apps will load and play, as they are Android developer apps and may not have been fully screened for compatability. If you encounter apps that will not load or play, please report to GetJar.

Q: How do I find the instructions/rules for running an application I’ve downloaded to my device?
A: Most applications have a built-in Help file to instruct and answer your questions.

HDMI SWITCH
Q: Can I display all applications on my TV when connected via HDMI cable?
A: Although you can display other applications, the HDMI output is only intended for displaying videos.

Q: Where can I purchase a HDMI cable?
A: You can purchase a HDMI cable locally where electronics are sold.

INTOUCH
Q: How can I change the RSS News feed that is displayed?
A: a) On the InTouch screen, press [Menu] tap Select News.
B.) Tap on the desired source for your news feed.
c) Tap Done.

Q: How do I log into my Facebook and Twitter accounts to display in InTouch?

A: a.) Press Posted Image tap Login for the desired account.
b.) Tap in the entry fields and enter your login information.
c.) Repeat for all desired accounts.

Q: Why does “Network Connection Timeout” message appear when I attempt to log into my Gmail account?
A: You have entered an incorrect Gmail account or password.

MUSIC
Q: What type of audio files can I play on my device?
A: MP3, WAV and AAC

Q: How do I add audio files to the internal storage in my device?
A: You can copy audio files from your computer (see “Connect to Computer” section) or from a SD card using the Copy & Paste functions in the ES File Explorer application.

Q: Can I create a separate list of my favorite songs?
A: Yes. Use the Playlist feature.

NOTES
Q: Can I email notes to others?
A: Yes, following these steps:

a. With note displayed, press [Menu] tap Share.
b. Tap in the entry fields to enter the email information.
c. Tap Send.

OfficeSuite VIEWER
Q: What types of files are supported by OfficeSuite?
A: DOC, DOCX, TXT, XLS, XLSX, CSV, PPT, PPTX, PPS, PPSX and PDF

Q: Can I edit the supported file types?
A: The free application included with your device cannot. However, you can quickly and easily upgrade to OfficeSuite Pro which does allow you to edit the supported file types.

Q: Can I view files stored in the device and on my SD card?
A: Yes. When you launch the application you are prompted for the desired storage device.

Q: Can I set separate display preferences for the separate programs?
A: Yes. When you tap a file to open it, the applicable program launches; press [Menu] to display the options menu.

U PLAYER
Q: Do I need to be connected to Wi-Fi to view the YouTube videos?
A: Yes, connect to Wi-Fi and then use the U Player application to view YouTube videos.

USB Connection
Q: Why doesn’t my computer recognize the device when I connect via USB cable?
A: Be sure you tap the “Turn on USB storage” button on the device screen after you connect the device to your computer.

Q: What should I do if the “Turn on USB Storage” button does not appear on the screen when I connect?
A: Tap the white USB notification icon in top left area of the screen.

VIDEO PLAYER
Q: When should I use the Video Player as opposed to the Gallery media player?
A: The Gallery media player supports only MPEG4 formats. The Video Player supports the following: Codecs: MPEG4, H.264, H.263, WMV, DivX HD/XviD, VC-1. File formats: 3GP, AVI, FLV, 3GPP, MOV, MP4, 3G2.

Q: Can I view YouTube videos using the Video Player?
A: You should use the U Player application to view YouTube videos.

WEATHER
Q: What locations can I view the weather forecast?
A: The initial city displayed is the one you assigned during the initial device setup. You can set up any other city locations by pressing the Add [+] button.
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary - Not even OEM FW is guaranteed "safe" to flash.

Hey! Newbies (n00bs) - Click the blue links ;) - Forum Rules

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." ~James Dean
"Slatedroid: Where all the advice is free, even advice you don't want." ~Mark Adams #113449
"Women are Angels. When someone breaks our wings - we simply continue to fly - on a broomstick. We are flexible like that."

Posted Image ~cheers ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users