Photo

[Recovery] Restoring to stock/ Restoring from brick/Backup/Destroy (Updated 28th February 2012).

• Please log in to reply
272 replies to this topic

#1 chiefwhosm

chiefwhosm

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:42 PM

Please follow this link to the new guide.

An updated version of the above was released today (28th February 2012).

I also advise people to use the above guide thread from now on for posting for help - I occasionally check the above thread, but never this one.

Though as the guide says, someone will no doubt be around to help you, where ever you post :)

Edited by chiefwhosm, 28 February 2012 - 10:52 AM.

• alpha232, eses, JoeyL and 2 others like this

#2 Mag1c1an

Mag1c1an

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:18 AM

Thanks for this. I have just managed to get rid of the annoying viewsonic logo i had on bootup due to an earlier nvflash. Thanks for the help.
Hannspad SN10T1 (1653)

#3 duomax

duomax

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:04 PM

Thanks so mush chiefwhosm for this tutorial...I save my tablet from the death :-D but I'd like to ask you something... I've model SN10T130R1653 and for recover by nvflash I used .img file into 653_part.zip
Now /system partition is about 240MB (before 200MB) and the RAM is 437MB (before 374MB shoed in Android System Info). Im very happy to have more system space e MORE RAM :-) do you know what's happened??? I think that there was a ramdisk partition and when I format the 14 partitions by nvflash...it became smaller...I don't now...I hope you now more thing about me :-)

#4 chiefwhosm

chiefwhosm

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:42 AM

Yes, I think I may have an idea.

I had to use some of the settings out of Kick In's config file to match partition information, since his used information from the ViewSonic my guess would be that the ViewSonic's system partition is 247mb in size. Because I used these settings, the partition size in the hannsconf.cfg file for the system partition is: 259715200 bytes (which equals 247.683716 megabytes).

Because partition 14 is setup that it uses all the rest of the available storage space that's left after the other partitions have been created according to their sizes in the .cfg file, the system partition being 47mb more, has led to the last partition being 47mb less.

I've updated the top post with a new config file for download which makes the system partition the correct size, so thanks for the heads up.

Chief :)

Edited by chiefwhosm, 04 August 2011 - 05:50 AM.

#5 duomax

duomax

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:40 AM

Yes, I think I may have an idea.

I had to use some of the settings out of Kick In's config file to match partition information, since his used information from the ViewSonic my guess would be that the ViewSonic's system partition is 247mb in size. Because I used these settings, the partition size in the hannsconf.cfg file for the system partition is: 259715200 bytes (which equals 247.683716 megabytes).

Because partition 14 is setup that it uses all the rest of the available storage space that's left after the other partitions have been created according to their sizes in the .cfg file, the system partition being 47mb more, has led to the last partition being 47mb less.

I've updated the top post with a new config file for download which makes the system partition the correct size, so thanks for the heads up.

Chief :)

Thanks i understand now what's happened. Instead do you know something about ram? Will be wonderfull if we could set 512md or ram (before 374mb and now 437mb) : -)

#6 vipai

vipai

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 01:26 PM

Information:
------------

NEW - Information has come to light that the size of the system partition in the .cfg file is larger than the stock partition, as such to get it back to pure stock, please download and extract out HannsConfNEW.zip's hannsconf.cfg folder into the restoration folder, and overwrite the old .cfg file.

The following procedure will restore your tablet to an almost out-of-the-box/stock state/factory sealed system.

The reason it doesn't entirely take you back to the factory state, is that it relies on the use of the official update.zip files from the hannspree site (which you must download yourself) to get the tablet booting again properly.

If, you do have a backup of your system.img from when you bought your tablet, you can extract the contents of update.zip, replace its system.img with your own one, and re-zip the files again, that way you'll go back to a stock system partition.

It would still be good if people on the 623 and 653 could upload (as thread attachments) their part2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10.img files just so people can use the .img files from their respective models (though they seem identical).

I used winmerge to see if there were any differences between the 633 and 653 partitions that I was sent, partitions 6 and 8 were different, so I have included the 653 versions in a seperate .zip file. Please note that while I have used them, and saw no difference whatsoever, and had no issues with them. They did come from a (at the time) bricked tablet, so - Use them at your own risk!

Don't bother uploading .img files 11 (recovery) 12 (boot) 13 (system) or 14 (some personal user data!) as they're not required.

On the subject of Partition 14, the restore only creates and formats an empty partition14, it does not put any information or data into it. This is to make sure that people don't accidentally publically share private data they'd rather keep private.

Please note that ALL instructions are compulsory for a successful return to stock, especially if you are restoring a brick!

Thanks To:
----------

Ste650 (633)
Kick In (for his nvflash recovery, saved my tablet after honeycomb)
Jord83uk (653)
Various forums, with various members posting information and help.

The guide is included in the 7zip file as well (the 7zip file is within the zip file due to .7z files being a disallowed attachment), but here it is in full:

----------------------------------
Hannspree Hannspad Stock Recovery.
----------------------------------

Disclaimer:
===========

I take no responsibility for any damage this does to your system/tablet, you use it at your own risk!
This will modify the partition structure of your device back to a stock (out-of-the-box) state.
You have been warned !

Information:
============

This Disaster Recovery Method will restore any of the following Hannspree Hannspad Models to their original stock state - SN10T130U1623, SN10T130R1633 and SN10T130U1653.

Please note however that part of the recovery proces involves the installation of the ClockWork Mod (CWM) Recovery partition which may or may not invalidate your warranty.

This is only a temporary installation, which is then overwritten with the proper Android Recovery partition to bring the device back to its true stock state.

This guide is written as though it were a forum thread, as such you may have done some steps already.

Please note that these steps were done on Windows 7, there should be no reason why XP or Vista should cause problems, but it is worth mentioning it here just in case.

Getting Started:
================

0. Visit http://www.hannspree.com/webauth/ and get the latest update.zip

1. Extract the Stock_Restore folder to your desktop from out of the downloaded Stock_Restore.7z archive, you will require 7-zip (from 7-zip.org) or an archive manager capable of extracting .7z files to do this.

2. Open up the folder, inside you should see:

* A folder called 'APX USB Driver'.
* A folder called 'Restoration'.
* A Guide.txt file.
* A batch file named 'hanflash'.

3. Open up the update.zip file and extract the system.img and boot.img (but _NOT_ recovery.img) files from it into the 'Restoration' folder.

4. Once this is done, with the tablet powered off, plug in its usb cable, and connect it to the computer.

5. Now holding down the Volume-Minus key, power on the tablet.

6. Depending on what has happened to your tablet, you will either see the Hannspree logo appear, and then the screen becoming blank (but with the power light still on) or you will not see any logo, and then screen will always be blank (but with the power light still on). In the second case, wait a minute or two to make sure that the tablet has entered its special recovery (APX) mode.

- If you see the line 'Recovery key detected' in the top left hand corner, then this means that you have installed some form of non-hannspad firmware. In this case you will need to power off the device, and use the Volume-Plus key for step 5. -

7. Windows should now start trying to install drivers for the device, unless you have used APX mode on your computer/tablet before, this will not succeed.

8. Hold down the 'Windows' logo key on your keyboard, and while still holding it down, press the 'R' key. This should load up a run prompt.

9. In the text field, type:

devmgmt.msc

And click the 'OK' button.

10. This will launch the device manager. You should see under 'Other Devices' a device either titled as 'Unknown device' or more likely 'APX'.

11. Right click on this, and on the menu that appears choose 'Update Driver Software'.

12. On the new window that loads, click on 'Browse my computer for driver software' and on the next window that appears click on the 'Browse...' button.

13. Using the folder tree, navigate to the 'Stock_Restore' folder and then double click on the 'APX USB Driver' folder.

14. Now click the 'Next' button, it is likely that Windows will complain that the driver is unsigned, so tell it that you wish to continue with the driver installation regardless of this.

15. Once this is done, you can check to see if it was successfully installed by checking the taskbars 'safely remove hardware' icon (the one used for ejecting usb/thumb/pen drives).

16. If there is no device listed called 'APX' then turn off your tablet, and repeat steps 5 and 6. Then check again. It does happen that sometimes you have to do this before your computer sees the device. Failing this, restart the computer, follow steps 5 and 6, and you should by then definately see the 'APX' listed in the 'safely remove hardware' icon's list.

17. In the 'Stock_Restore' folder, double click on hanflash.bat and follow the batch files instructions, menu choices are made by typing the number followed by the return/enter key. Should the batch file say 'USB device not found' or stick at 'NvFlash starting' power off the tablet, and repeat steps 5 and 6 again.

18. This completes the "Getting Started" section of the guide, the next section should be completed after the batch file has completed its own processes.

Finishing the Restoration Procedure.
====================================

1. Please now turn off your tablet after using the 'safely remove hardware' ony our computer to safely eject your tablet.

2. With the usb cable still attached between your tablet and your computer, hold down the Volume-Plus key, and turn on your tablet.

3. You should see the Hannspree logo appear, followed by the line 'Recovery key detected'.

4. This will boot you into ClockWork Mod (CWM) recovery mode.

5. Use the Volume-Plus/Minus key to navigate to 'Wipe Data/Factory Reset' and press your 'Home' key to select this menu item.

6. Now once again with Volume-Plus/Minus, navigate to 'yes --wipe data' and press your 'Home' key again to perform the wipe.

7. Once this is complete, you will be returned to the main menu.

8. Use the Volume-Plus/Minus key to navigate your way through the menu to 'mounts and storage' and press your 'Home' key to select this menu item.

9. Now, once again using the Volume-Plus/Minus key, navigate your way through the menu to 'mount USB storage' and press the 'Home' key again.

10. After a short while, your computer should find the internal storage of the device, once this loads up, copy and paste the 'update.zip' file over onto your device.

11. Once this is done, remove the tablet safely from your computer using 'safely remove hardware' and then press on your tablets 'back' button twice to return you to the main CWM menu.

12. Now using Volume-Plus/Minus navigate your way to 'apply sdcard:update.zip' and press the 'Home' key to select it.

13. Once again, use the Volume-Plus/Minus keys to navigate your way to ' Yes - Install /sdcard/update.zip' and press the 'Home' key to select it.

14. The installation process will now start returning your tablet to its stock state. Please ignore the error messages 'E:unknown command [bootloader]' as this is caused by CWM not having the ability to flash the bootloader, and is perfectly normal.

15. Once this has finished, you will be back at the main menu with 'reboot system now' highlighted. Press the 'Home' key to select this option.

16. The computer will now load up in a completely stock, out-of-the-box state.

17. And that's you finished, you can now delete the Stock_Restore folder/archive.

========================================================
This is _NOT_ in the guide.txt included in the archive.
========================================================
Since it may prove useful, and here is as good a place as anywhere to put it, through searching the internet I've found the following information out about the partitions. Anything with '???' is unknown.

BCT = The .bct file is a binary file version of the BCT Partition. It controls Internal hardware configuration. - part2.img
PT = partition table (also binary, it seems to contain addresses where each partition starts) - part3.img
EBT - ??? - part4.img
NVC - ??? - part5.img (My own guess is 'NVidia Cache').
MBT - ???? - part6.img (My own guess is 'Master Boot Table'.)
BLO - bootlogo - part7.img (First Hannspree logo - there are two that load up, both identical).
MSC - misc - part8.img (People say it's misc, but miscellaneous what?)
KLO - ??? - part9.img
OGO - ??? - part10.img
SOS - recovery - part11.img/recovery.img
LNX - boot - part12.img/boot.img
APP - system - part13.img/system.img
CAC - ??? - part14.img (According to another forum, this contains some user data - this ties in with my experiences too).

I was pointed to this thread by one of the members....

I followed and installed the Getting Started: section to the point (Steps 1 to 18).

Now stuck at the Finishing the Restoration Procedure (Step 2)

When i press Volume-Plus key, and turn on your tablet, nothing happens...

my Windows device driver looks up to date and it shows ST9160411ASG under disk drives.

btw, my Hannspad model number is SN10T130R1653

I am going away on holiday and want to take my Hannpad with me

ROM Gurus, please help me.

#7 alpha232

alpha232

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 01:29 PM

are you holding the VOL+ key in? don't let it go once the tablet starts until you see "recovery key detected"

#8 vipai

vipai

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 01:42 PM

are you holding the VOL+ key in? don't let it go once the tablet starts until you see "recovery key detected"

yep i tried holding in the Vol+ key for about 5 mins , still nothing....

its a just blank (dark) screen ...not even the Hannspree logo screen

Am i missing something here ?

:(

#9 alpha232

alpha232

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:01 PM

Sounds like you're stuck in APX mode - did the recovery bat work alright with no errors?

#10 Omoloc

Omoloc

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 05:40 PM

Thank you!

My pad was locked in a Tapntap menu loop with final black screen (without doing any modification in original software) and now it's solved.

Thanks again.

#11 vipai

vipai

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:29 AM

Sounds like you're stuck in APX mode - did the recovery bat work alright with no errors?

Finally got it to work :yahoo: after rebooting my laptop a few times.

I am on HannsTitan 0.2 now gonna get 03 later today :)

Alpha232 , Chiefswhom, etc thanks Guys.... Keep up the good work !! :good:

#12 Chet T16

Chet T16

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:18 PM

Has anyone get a '53 serial they'll share (or a downloaded update.zip) mines wore off the back cover and i don't have the box :(

#13 Chet T16

Chet T16

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:15 AM

Has anyone get a '53 serial they'll share (or a downloaded update.zip) mines wore off the back cover and i don't have the box :(

All done, thanks for the guide!

#14 brightidea

brightidea

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:21 AM

amazing, thank you for this

#15 ozymandias

ozymandias

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:36 PM

Same problem here, i have a 53 Hannspad, and the serial number wore off. Could anyone attach a boot.img here? My boot/partition structure is messed up.

Thanks.

#16 alpha232

alpha232

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:28 PM

http://blair.be/hann...ithrecovery.zip

That's the stock update from hannspree's website, only difference is it shouldn't flash the recovery img if that's any use

#17 Mike A

Mike A

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:22 AM

What a detailed set of instructions, thank you very much. It's fixed one of my Hannspad's which needed putting back.

#18 nilly

nilly

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:20 AM

Thx for the detailed Instructions

#19 ozymandias

ozymandias

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:07 PM

http://blair.be/hannspad/devel/fullstockwithrecovery.zip

That's the stock update from hannspree's website, only difference is it shouldn't flash the recovery img if that's any use

Thank you so much, will try to fix the damn thing tommorow morning.

Later Edit:
Made the recovery folder using the zip file provided, still no luck. Common factor in all recovery attempts was the windows 7 sp1 professional x64. Will try to donwload a trial windows 32 bit, install on some notebook and try to install agaion the apx drivers. Under device manager, after installing the apx drivers provided in the stock restore package, will be reported as nvidia usb boot recovery driver for mobile devices. Will come with either answers, either questions later.

Thanks for the patience / support.

Even later edit.

That was my brightest idea, with the 32 bit OS. That didn't work. Need more brains, i don't know what else to do. Will try the mkyaffs2img trick, hope that will do.
I will keep coming back . Thanks.

Edited by ozymandias, 20 August 2011 - 10:54 AM.

#20 rixi

rixi

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 03:44 AM

Hello, I have a tablet hannspad, a few days ago I put version 7.1 of flashback, but now the tablet off and back on, I only see the green logo Hannspree, that's a brick? , I can get my tablet back, thank you very much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users