Android Tablets Forum banner

[Guide] Important things to do on purchasing your tablet. (Updated 25th August 2011).

119K views 178 replies 117 participants last post by  huug 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#2 ·
thanks for the guide, much appreciated.

Am i right in assuming for part one, the device needs to be its 'out of box' state? so i would have to revert back to stock to do part one?

also, assuming i did that, then something when wrong, what do i do with the files to restore it?

thanks.

#3 ·
Part One can be performed at any time, and of course you're not limited to the number of times you do it during ownership of your tablet.

If you did do it in the out-of-box state, and made no other modified backups, then of course you would have no choice but to revert to stock state.

I'm currently still working on a restore system, http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/20583-could-someone-please-make-an-nvflash-backup/ (feel free to contribute to the last post) to restore the files, this is why I haven't yet posted it as another guide, but it's best to have got them just in case anyway.

Chief

#4 ·
so part one will backup my system as it is now? and not the out of box state?

and i would love to contribute, but that post might as well have been in chinese, way over my head unfortunately! but i thank you for the hard work to help the rest of us out!

#5 ·
Yes, part one and part two in the case of someone who has used their tablet for a while would back up in the current state.

The guide, while useful for everyone to be able to backup their tablet, is designed for people who have just bought the tablet and thus getting a nice clean OS backup made for sanity's sake.

Chief

#7 ·
If all goes well in its creation then yes, but it's always better to trust your own backup over someone elses, which is why it's a good idea to backup as soon as you get the tablet (hence the guide). I myself didn't know of nvflash backups, so I fell into the trap that I'm trying to save others from.

#13 ·
Hi there

First of all, can I just offer my humble thanks for such a fantastic piece of work for an android noob like myself. Perfect.

I'm having the same problem with the 'backup' download though? Makes it to a couple of megs, says it's done, then when you try to extract - even using 7zip - it tells you the file is broken.

Any help gratefull received. I'm slowly trying to pick my way through things to get the most out of this tablet.

Thanks again

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for the info.

While carrying out Part 1, seems to get stuck transfering partion 14. Have to close command line & then end up with a file size of 108,800KB for part-14.img. Does that seem ok or has something gone wrong? I have stock 1633 model.

Cheers.

Edit: Just read that partion 14 isn't restored, so not worrying too much. Have CWM back up saved as well.

Thanks again, great help! (Better safe than sorry!)

#15 ·
I'm currently in linux so can't help much with windows 7zip issues, but all I can suggest is trying a download manager to download the attachment such as freedownloadmanager.org or if using firefox I think its called DownloadAll (bad that I use it and cant remember the name).

From what I've read, if it gets stuck then it means you have a bad section of flash on your storage, and you'll just not to be able to backup part14.img (which most of the time doesnt seem to restore anyway).

#18 ·
Hi
Followed the istructions in part 1 and all seems to complete except I don't have a part14 image
I have part2 to part13 but no part14

I have the hans.bct and the text file but no part14

The last entry in the text file is
PartitionId=14
Name=CAC
DeviceId=19
StartSector=134784
NumSectors=123904
BytesPerSector=2048

but for some reason it hasnt created the file

1653 version by the way

Any ideas?

#19 ·
Many many thanks for this thread!
It helped me come back from an almost bricked tablet!

I has installed HannsTitan-v0.2d on my tablet and it worked great for a while.
But once it had been turn off by holding the power button down too long, and then turning it back on, I got stuck on the Hannspree startup logo.
I could not even boot to the recovery mod!

But after running the restore, I was able to get manufacturer recovery (as it overwrote the custom one) and then was able to rerun the rom installations!

MANY THANKS AGAIN!

#23 ·
I bricked mine with installing flashback 7.2.

Then I tried this to create all the img files, but it was stuck at img8 and would not go further.

Then I decided to run the guide file, but it needs the img files to recover the pad fully.
I still can get into this APX mode.

Can someone please share the original img files so I can try if it can recover?

Thank you very much.

#27 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm still amazed at the amount of people who just flash other devices roms without knowing how to roll back if it goes wrong - or just plain flashing and hoping
Well can't say I wasn't one of those who knew about flash etc, I mean coming from windows I knew the first thing to do myself was to backup my partitions, which I did in CWM - had no idea about the whole flashing business till it all went wrong. If it hadn't been for KickIn and his viewsonic based rom I'd have had a brick myself thanks to trying out flashback and then reverting to tntlite.

Needless to say it's all your fault for making tntlite so good I wanted to go back to it

#29 ·
getting an error on mine when trying to backup the partitions, it is completing 2-8 then failing on number 9 and stalls there. I have only just received the tablet, i have switched it on and there was a new update that i downloaded. not sure if this is why it now wont backup using the info on the first thread. The error is below
Nvflash started
[resume mode]
failed executing command 15 NvError 0x120002
command failure: read failed (bad command)
bootloader status: unknown operation (code: 1) message: flags: 0

Any help appreciated. rebooting and trying again does the same thing, halts on number 9, this is the 53 tablet for info.
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.