Photo

[Guide] Important things to do on purchasing your tablet. (Updated 25th August 2011).

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#1 chiefwhosm

chiefwhosm

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:17 PM

Please follow this link to the new guide.

Edited by chiefwhosm, 07 December 2011 - 05:17 PM.

• Rabiator, fergul, RArch and 1 other like this

#2 moley

moley

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:53 PM

thanks for the guide, much appreciated.

Am i right in assuming for part one, the device needs to be its 'out of box' state? so i would have to revert back to stock to do part one?

also, assuming i did that, then something when wrong, what do i do with the files to restore it?

thanks.
Devices owned - Hannspree Hannspad - |TnT lite| + HTC Desire - |MIUI US|

#3 chiefwhosm

chiefwhosm

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:09 PM

Part One can be performed at any time, and of course you're not limited to the number of times you do it during ownership of your tablet.

If you did do it in the out-of-box state, and made no other modified backups, then of course you would have no choice but to revert to stock state.

I'm currently still working on a restore system, http://www.slatedroi...nvflash-backup/ (feel free to contribute to the last post) to restore the files, this is why I haven't yet posted it as another guide, but it's best to have got them just in case anyway.

Chief :)

#4 moley

moley

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:45 PM

so part one will backup my system as it is now? and not the out of box state?

and i would love to contribute, but that post might as well have been in chinese, way over my head unfortunately! but i thank you for the hard work to help the rest of us out!

#5 chiefwhosm

chiefwhosm

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:07 PM

Yes, part one and part two in the case of someone who has used their tablet for a while would back up in the current state.

The guide, while useful for everyone to be able to backup their tablet, is designed for people who have just bought the tablet and thus getting a nice clean OS backup made for sanity's sake.

Chief :)

#6 moley

moley

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:10 PM

ok, this is what i thought yes...

but part 3, when you are done will allows us to full restore back to out of box state for whatever reason someone may have to?

#7 chiefwhosm

chiefwhosm

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:36 PM

If all goes well in its creation then yes, but it's always better to trust your own backup over someone elses, which is why it's a good idea to backup as soon as you get the tablet (hence the guide). I myself didn't know of nvflash backups, so I fell into the trap that I'm trying to save others from.

#8 moley

moley

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:27 AM

If all goes well in its creation then yes, but it's always better to trust your own backup over someone elses, which is why it's a good idea to backup as soon as you get the tablet (hence the guide). I myself didn't know of nvflash backups, so I fell into the trap that I'm trying to save others from.

yes, me neither... i still dont understand this nvflash business!

#9 Ste650

Ste650

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:01 AM

:good: Thumbs up on the guide, it will help alot of people dude

#10 ozymandias

ozymandias

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:09 PM

Great, those files will be essential in restoring this tables, as it seems the recovery mode is not available anymore

#11 dalek255

dalek255

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:38 AM

Make that all 3 zips are corrupted....

#12 chiefwhosm

chiefwhosm

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:00 PM

Try the latest 7zip, if that fails its because I'm using their current beta release, so if need be:

http://sourceforge.n...les/7-Zip/9.22/

The downloads still download/open just find for me :)

#13 jeebs

jeebs

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:10 PM

Hi there

First of all, can I just offer my humble thanks for such a fantastic piece of work for an android noob like myself. Perfect.

I'm having the same problem with the 'backup' download though? Makes it to a couple of megs, says it's done, then when you try to extract - even using 7zip - it tells you the file is broken.

Any help gratefull received. I'm slowly trying to pick my way through things to get the most out of this tablet.

Thanks again

#14 hambone666

hambone666

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:39 PM

Thanks for the info.

While carrying out Part 1, seems to get stuck transfering partion 14. Have to close command line & then end up with a file size of 108,800KB for part-14.img. Does that seem ok or has something gone wrong? I have stock 1633 model.

Cheers.

Edit: Just read that partion 14 isn't restored, so not worrying too much. Have CWM back up saved as well.

Thanks again, great help! (Better safe than sorry!)

Edited by hambone666, 08 August 2011 - 07:22 PM.

#15 chiefwhosm

chiefwhosm

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:06 PM

I'm currently in linux so can't help much with windows 7zip issues, but all I can suggest is trying a download manager to download the attachment such as freedownloadmanager.org or if using firefox I think its called DownloadAll (bad that I use it and cant remember the name).

From what I've read, if it gets stuck then it means you have a bad section of flash on your storage, and you'll just not to be able to backup part14.img (which most of the time doesnt seem to restore anyway).

#16 dalek255

dalek255

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 12:49 PM

I tried again with a 3rd pc and this time it worked. Thanks for the help.

I'm currently in linux so can't help much with windows 7zip issues, but all I can suggest is trying a download manager to download the attachment such as freedownloadmanager.org or if using firefox I think its called DownloadAll (bad that I use it and cant remember the name).

From what I've read, if it gets stuck then it means you have a bad section of flash on your storage, and you'll just not to be able to backup part14.img (which most of the time doesnt seem to restore anyway).

#17 need my tablets

need my tablets

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Locationnear the floor

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:07 PM

This is another good section and why im glad i joined and is why ile stay too
cheers for the info

Edited by need my tablets, 09 August 2011 - 02:08 PM.

-------- Hannpree hannspad SN10T 130R 1653 running TeamDRH-ICS-Beta-1.2 with v12 Antibyte (looking forward to non beta ) -------

#18 stuuk

stuuk

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:05 PM

Hi
Followed the istructions in part 1 and all seems to complete except I don't have a part14 image
I have part2 to part13 but no part14

I have the hans.bct and the text file but no part14

The last entry in the text file is
PartitionId=14
Name=CAC
DeviceId=19
StartSector=134784
NumSectors=123904
BytesPerSector=2048

but for some reason it hasnt created the file

1653 version by the way

Any ideas?

#19 bhups

bhups

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:58 PM

Many many thanks for this thread!
It helped me come back from an almost bricked tablet!

I has installed HannsTitan-v0.2d on my tablet and it worked great for a while.
But once it had been turn off by holding the power button down too long, and then turning it back on, I got stuck on the Hannspree startup logo.
I could not even boot to the recovery mod!

But after running the restore, I was able to get manufacturer recovery (as it overwrote the custom one) and then was able to rerun the rom installations!

MANY THANKS AGAIN!

#20 bhups

bhups

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:32 PM

Many many thanks for this thread!
It helped me come back from an almost bricked tablet!

I has installed HannsTitan-v0.2d on my tablet and it worked great for a while.
But once it had been turn off by holding the power button down too long, and then turning it back on, I got stuck on the Hannspree startup logo.
I could not even boot to the recovery mod!

But after running the restore, I was able to get manufacturer recovery (as it overwrote the custom one) and then was able to rerun the rom installations!

MANY THANKS AGAIN!

Scrap that! The pad just dies everytime its rebooted!

I did a power off, and back on and again it stuck at the Hannspree logo.

Anyone know what could have caused this
I put the stock rom back on it and still the same.