• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 str8arrow

str8arrow

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:54 AM

Victory!!

I've been trying to get market access for a while. This process will give ANYONE with a PC to get Market access - in a few easy steps!
With this process, you can download the app on your PC and transfer it to your tablet (in a process called 'side-loading apps'). **This will give ANYONE FULL Market access - regardless of which tablet or e-reader they have (BPDN/WPDN/Nook/whatever).

**I'm still hoping to get onto the market with my BPDN...and I'll post instructions when I can do so. In the meantime, I'm hoping someone (terminander) will resend the firmware I so desperately need! (see below).

In the meantime....this is a versatile method of getting market access which I hope will benefit anyone with a tablet or e-reader. I have posted step-by-step instructions. Although many sites insist that this is a complicated process, it is certainly NOT. The process is a bit finicky and the software is quite buggy, but it is essentially a simple and straightforward four-step process which involves:
1- setting up an emulator (Android virtual device=AVD) and the associated software. (Ideally set up your AVD with the same operating system as your tablet - Android 1.5 if you're on 1.5, 3.0 if you're on 3.0, etc.) Then
2- running the emulator and setting up Google Market account on emulator,
3- selecting and installing the apps you want to use, and then
4- transferring the apps to your PC and then to your tablet/e-reader.

So here are the steps....sorry, it's a bit lengthy because as mentioned, the process is finicky and the software is buggy.
To set up a new virtual device (AVD) – Android Virtual Device and the associated software....

1. First you must install Java Development kit 6
(http://www.oracle.co...avase/downloads
/jdk-6u26-download-400750.html))

2. Install Android SDK (using installer for Windows)from
http://developer.and...sdk/index.html. **This is buggy -
even the install seems to hang because it doesn’t detect the JDK.
Solution is: Hit Cancel, go back a step in the install and then
click next again & it will bypass the error & detect the JDK!

3. Install Eclipse Classic 3.7 –((http://www.eclipse.org/downloads
/packages/eclipse-classic-37/indigor)) **I looked for other versions
because there are a number of bugs but ver 3.7 appears to be the only
stable version that is currently avail.
**NB this downloads as a Winzip file but DO NOT unzip with WinZIP or
you'll get an error (as I did). Unzip with WinRAR or 7-zip or other
package. Double click on the eclipse.exe file within to install.

4. You need to install the plug-ins for Eclipse. You need the ADT (Android) plugin but it won't install without some other plugins which have to be installed beforehand. I first installed the Galileo Software Collection (I googled and found the plugins I would need). To save you the trouble, I've given you the full list of plugins - this should be ALL you'll need. Just download and install in order listed (If you just try to install ADT you'll get errors/failed install.)

(GEF plugins) http://download.ecli...pdates/releases

(WST server adapters) http://download.ecli...leases/galileo/ )

Then download ADT plugin for Eclipse https://dl-ssl.googl...android/eclipse (remove ‘s’ in https if you have issues connecting /downloading) **Alternatively, download zip file from http://dl.google.com.../ADT-12.0.0.zip BUT instead of entering a ‘download site’ click ‘Archive’ and enter the location where you’ve saved this zip file).

5.Edit the Preferences in Eclipse (to tell it where to look for the SDK). **This has a MAJOR defect - it WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO ENTER ANY FOLDER/FILE NAMES WITH SPACES IN THEM. Since the default install location is 'C:/Program Files/...' it gives back an error. To solve this you must do either 5A or 5B below - otherwise you can't CREATE or RUN any virtual devices.
a)Solution #1 – Use the short form (DOS or short 8.3 filename). This is a 'short form' of the foldername that corresponds to the above SDK location. (To find this foldername: Go to Windows Start icon <enter>-->type ‘cmd’--> right click cmd.exe and select‘run as administrator’-->type ‘cd c:/’ <enter> (it should now read c:/> on the next line)-->type ‘dir /x’ <enter> -->the computer will spit out all of the short 8.3 (DOS) filenames in the C:/ directory. In the printout that follows find the name that looks most like ‘Program Files’ (mine read ‘Progra~1’) - this is what you need-->Go to Eclipse-->Window-->Preferences-->select 'Android' (on left)-->Browse to the location of the /android-sdk folder -->replace 'Program Files' with 'Progra~1' (or whatever short form was listed above)--> click ‘OK’ in the bottom right.

B) Solution #2 – is to make another directory (with foldernames with NO spaces which you can write into the Eclipse Preferences instead). You have to link this to the above ‘Program Files…/android-sdk’ directory though so it takes a few steps. To do this: Create a folder without spaces in the name (e.g. ‘c:/Android’)-->to Link this folder to the android-sdk folder, go to Windows Start Icon--->enter ‘cmd'-->enter ‘run as administrator’--> from the menu (and click yes)-->type ‘mklink /j c:\Android “C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk' <enter> --> type ‘exit’ <enter> -->Open Eclipse-->Window (top menu bar) -->Preferences -->select ‘Android’ from left menu -->enter ‘C:\Android’ in the field next to ‘Browse’ and click ‘OK’ (on bottom right).

6. Now, open the Android SDK. Click Virtual Devices on left, then expand the borders (make the window bigger by moving the sides and top and bottom out to the edges of the screen). You should now see ‘New’ on the right. Click ‘New’ & follow the directions to create a new AVD of your own choosing. (More details on this process are provided at the link below – this tells you how to create an EVO4G and other market Android model phones.) I didn’t do this, though - I downloaded a ready-made AVD.

http://mobile.tutspl...configurations/

http://stage.android...i/Eclipse_setup

7.But to make life easier....you can download ready-made AVDs (android virtual devices). I downloaded the AndEmu emulator (running on Android 1.5). **There are others including a 2.2 system image in another slatedroid post. Use whichever you wish.**
NOTE: I would suggest using something that is similar to your tablet (same operating system – 1.5 if you’ve got 1.5, 3.0 if you’ve got 3.0, etc.). This will allow you to test drive apps on your PC before using them on your tablet.
The AndEmu emulator – a prepared Android 1.5 phone emulator pkg - is avail here. please use an alternate file host/file/147420185/da5381e1/avd.html
there’s also an Android 1.6 image at the location below..
http://www.4shared.c...3ed/system.html

8. Download and unzip the AndEmu file. Transfer (copy and paste) the AndEmu.ini file and the AndEmu folder to your /.android/avd folder. **In Windows 7 this will be in c:/Users/<yourusername/.android/avd; in Windows XP I think this will be in c:/My Documents and Settings/.android/avd .

9. Edit the AndEmu.ini file. Open it in Notepad. Change the path to wherever your /avd folder is located. e.g. to target=android-3path=C:\Users\<yourusername>\.android\avd\AndEmu.avd. (**See ‘HowtoGeek’ instructions /link below for more detailed instructions.) Resave it.

10. Do a trial run of your AndEmu virtual device – double click on the AndEmu.ini file which you just resaved. You will get an error message telling you to update the package. Go to Windows start icon --> type ‘cmd’ and right click ‘Cmd.exe’ and select ‘run as administrator’-->in the black window that opens, type ‘cd c:/Users/<yourusername>/.android/avd’ <enter> --> on the next line type ‘android update avd –n AndEmu’ <enter> -->You should now get a message telling you that the package was updated successfully (‘Updated system.img’) You should now be able to double-click the AndEmu.ini file or open it in the SDK Manager. You should now see a ‘virtual phone’ on the screen.

11. Run your AVD – Double click the AndEmu.ini file OR open Eclipse and SDK Manager (Android) and run it from SDK Manager. (In Virtual Devices you should now see AndEmu and you can double click on it and run it from there.) This will bring up a virtual android phone. Follow the prompts and play with it – NOTE: When it asks you to ‘slide out the keyboard or if you have to change the orientation from landscape/portrait or v.v. you need the following commands: Ctrl + F12 (some people use Ctrl +F11) OR use 7 or 9 on number pad (with Num Lock off).

12. Finish the tutorial (or skip it). You can now create/sign into a Google Account and you can get Market access. Yippee. (You will get prompts to set up a Google Market account or sign in – if you have an existing gmail account, just sign in, otherwise create one. Then browse through the apps, and download and install ANYTHING that you want to use. I would strongly suggest that you download an uninstaller, to allow you to wipe the system and download new apps when you wish.

13. When you have finished, you will have a number of apps (apk files) installed on your virtual phone. We need to copy them onto your PC, and then transfer (copy/paste) them and install them to the tablet (e-reader).

To do this: Go to Windows Start icon
-->’cmd’ <Ctrl+Shift+Enter
-->’Yes’-->black box pops up
-->type ‘adb devices’ <enter> (make sure it only lists your
AVD – unplug any other connected android devices)
-->type ‘cd c:/Users/<yourusername>/.android/avd’ <enter>
-->type ‘adb pull /system/app’ <enter>
-->this will copy ALL of the apk files you just downloaded
and installed (in step 12)to your /avd folder.
**Now you can transfer these to your tablet and install them by copying and pasting them to the sd card – so easy!

14. When you want to download and install some new apps, you should FIRST UNINSTALL the apps from your AVD (to clear the memory). THEN you can download and install some new apps. Repeat this process as desired.

**You can find some further detailed info at http://www.howtogeek...id-emulator/How To Enable the Android Market in the Google Android Emulator

I hope that this will help a few people - I know that this process took me weeks to months to sort out, and I've had no access to the Market in that time. So this should help - you'll have Market access in under an hour. This is a versatile process which will work for ANY tablet owner, and any market app.

I decided to post this because so much of the content was helpful, but most of it seemed to be way over my head. I was desperate for some easy advice. I hope this will fit the bill, for most of you out there. Best of luck!

**Please let me know if my information has helped you in any way. I'd be thrilled to know it has done someone some good!

Thanks a million!
str8arrow

**NOTE: I misplaced some firmware that someone very kindly sent me - so if anyone (terminander??) can help me out, I'd really appreciate it! (Terminander actually sent me some firmware a while ago via PM, but the message disappeared when I clicked Reply to thank him. I lost the firmware and I feel very stupid.) So...I'm at a loss, and I'd be much obliged if terminander (or someone) could help me by re-sending the firmware OR better yet, by providing a solution to my 'non-working apps' problem. (Essentially, I've tried to install numerous apps that SHOULD be Android 1.5 compatible, but they won't install, because Pandigital screwed around and did something to the firmware. So I am beating my head against the wall and I'd be grateful for ANY help, from ANYONE.......waiting with bated breath to hear from someone out there.....
  • sainthooligan and lambeaulady like this

#2 str8arrow

str8arrow

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:39 AM

I hope that the above posting will allow people to get Market access easily on their PCs.
I've described how to set up an emulator (which I've customized for the BPDN but you could use any system - Android 1.5, 1.6 or any other more current version that suits you).
After you do this, you can obtain Market access, install and test apps, and then, if you like any or all of the apps, you can copy the .apk files onto your computer and just transfer them to your tablet *if you put them on the SD card and double click you should be able to install the apk's.

I don't know if anyone wanted to know how to do this, but I did and since there were no proper start-to-finish instructions I had an awful time. There were a million bugs and errors. So I've explained how to deal with everything in this process - start-to-finish, and I hope it will be of help. (NB I have a Windows 7 x86 (32 bit) PC so my instructions are customized for a Windows system.)

Anyway, I hope this will be useful - dunno, maybe you'll all think it's a colossal waste of time !!

All the best,
str8arrow

#3 zarko47

zarko47

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:13 PM

I hope that the above posting will allow people to get Market access easily on their PCs.
I've described how to set up an emulator (which I've customized for the BPDN but you could use any system - Android 1.5, 1.6 or any other more current version that suits you).
After you do this, you can obtain Market access, install and test apps, and then, if you like any or all of the apps, you can copy the .apk files onto your computer and just transfer them to your tablet *if you put them on the SD card and double click you should be able to install the apk's.

I don't know if anyone wanted to know how to do this, but I did and since there were no proper start-to-finish instructions I had an awful time. There were a million bugs and errors. So I've explained how to deal with everything in this process - start-to-finish, and I hope it will be of help. (NB I have a Windows 7 x86 (32 bit) PC so my instructions are customized for a Windows system.)

Anyway, I hope this will be useful - dunno, maybe you'll all think it's a colossal waste of time !!

All the best,
str8arrow

Very god job str8arrow,

I am also in process to work with SDK and JDK, and your simply explanation will help me to go much faster with that. I believe that other user will value your work too.

#4 terminander

terminander

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:15 AM

str8arrow

Since you have gone as far as installing the emulator on your PC, you can easily incorporate the ugly market hack into your Novel. (However it is virtually obsolete)

Simply pull the google database from the emulator and install it to the novel. (Search ugly market hack)
Live is not the breath you take, but the moments that take you breath away. Country singer George Strait

#5 walkerwj

walkerwj

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:52 AM

Victory!!

I've been trying to get market access for a while. This process will give ANYONE with a PC to get Market access - in a few easy steps!
With this process, you can download the app on your PC and transfer it to your tablet (in a process called 'side-loading apps'). **This will give ANYONE FULL Market access - regardless of which tablet or e-reader they have (BPDN/WPDN/Nook/whatever).

**I'm still hoping to get onto the market with my BPDN...and I'll post instructions when I can do so. In the meantime, I'm hoping someone (terminander) will resend the firmware I so desperately need! (see below).

In the meantime....this is a versatile method of getting market access which I hope will benefit anyone with a tablet or e-reader. I have posted step-by-step instructions. Although many sites insist that this is a complicated process, it is certainly NOT. The process is a bit finicky and the software is quite buggy, but it is essentially a simple and straightforward four-step process which involves:
1- setting up an emulator (Android virtual device=AVD) and the associated software. (Ideally set up your AVD with the same operating system as your tablet - Android 1.5 if you're on 1.5, 3.0 if you're on 3.0, etc.) Then

So here are the steps....sorry, it's a bit lengthy because as mentioned, the process is finicky and the software is buggy.
To set up a new virtual device (AVD) – Android Virtual Device and the associated software....

4. You need to install the plug-ins for Eclipse. You need the ADT (Android) plugin but it won't install without some other plugins which have to be installed beforehand. I first installed the Galileo Software Collection (I googled and found the plugins I would need). To save you the trouble, I've given you the full list of plugins - this should be ALL you'll need. Just download and install in order listed (If you just try to install ADT you'll get errors/failed install.)

Then download ADT plugin for Eclipse https://dl-ssl.googl...android/eclipse (remove ‘s’ in https if you have issues connecting /downloading) **Alternatively, download zip file from http://dl.google.com.../ADT-12.0.0.zip BUT instead of entering a ‘download site’ click ‘Archive’ and enter the location where you’ve saved this zip file).

5.Edit the Preferences in Eclipse (to tell it where to look for the SDK). **This has a MAJOR defect - it WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO ENTER ANY FOLDER/FILE NAMES WITH SPACES IN THEM. Since the default install location is 'C:/Program Files/...' it gives back an error. To solve this you must do either 5A or 5B below - otherwise you can't CREATE or RUN any virtual devices.
a)Solution #1 – Use the short form (DOS or short 8.3 filename). This is a 'short form' of the foldername that corresponds to the above SDK location. (To find this foldername: Go to Windows Start icon <enter>-->type ‘cmd’--> right click cmd.exe and select‘run as administrator’-->type ‘cd c:/’ <enter> (it should now read c:/> on the next line)-->type ‘dir /x’ <enter> -->the computer will spit out all of the short 8.3 (DOS) filenames in the C:/ directory. In the printout that follows find the name that looks most like ‘Program Files’ (mine read ‘Progra~1’) - this is what you need-->Go to Eclipse-->Window-->Preferences-->select 'Android' (on left)-->Browse to the location of the /android-sdk folder -->replace 'Program Files' with 'Progra~1' (or whatever short form was listed above)--> click ‘OK’ in the bottom right.

B) Solution #2 – is to make another directory (with foldernames with NO spaces which you can write into the Eclipse Preferences instead). You have to link this to the above ‘Program Files…/android-sdk’ directory though so it takes a few steps. To do this: Create a folder without spaces in the name (e.g. ‘c:/Android’)-->to Link this folder to the android-sdk folder, go to Windows Start Icon--->enter ‘cmd'-->enter ‘run as administrator’--> from the menu (and click yes)-->type ‘mklink /j c:\Android “C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk' <enter> --> type ‘exit’ <enter> -->Open Eclipse-->Window (top menu bar) -->Preferences -->select ‘Android’ from left menu -->enter ‘C:\Android’ in the field next to ‘Browse’ and click ‘OK’ (on bottom right).

6. Now, open the Android SDK. Click Virtual Devices on left, then expand the borders (make the window bigger by moving the sides and top and bottom out to the edges of the screen). You should now see ‘New’ on the right. Click ‘New’ & follow the directions to create a new AVD of your own choosing. (More details on this process are provided at the link below – this tells you how to create an EVO4G and other market Android model phones.) I didn’t do this, though - I downloaded a ready-made AVD.

7.But to make life easier....you can download ready-made AVDs (android virtual devices). I downloaded the AndEmu emulator (running on Android 1.5). **There are others including a 2.2 system image in another slatedroid post. Use whichever you wish.**
NOTE: I would suggest using something that is similar to your tablet (same operating system – 1.5 if you’ve got 1.5, 3.0 if you’ve got 3.0, etc.). This will allow you to test drive apps on your PC before using them on your tablet.
The AndEmu emulator – a prepared Android 1.5 phone emulator pkg - is avail here. please use an alternate file host/file/147420185/da5381e1/avd.html

8. Download and unzip the AndEmu file. Transfer (copy and paste) the AndEmu.ini file and the AndEmu folder to your /.android/avd folder. **In Windows 7 this will be in c:/Users/<yourusername/.android/avd; in Windows XP I think this will be in c:/My Documents and Settings/.android/avd .

9. Edit the AndEmu.ini file. Open it in Notepad. Change the path to wherever your /avd folder is located. e.g. to target=android-3path=C:\Users\<yourusername>\.android\avd\AndEmu.avd. (**See ‘HowtoGeek’ instructions /link below for more detailed instructions.) Resave it.

10. Do a trial run of your AndEmu virtual device – double click on the AndEmu.ini file which you just resaved. You will get an error message telling you to update the package. Go to Windows start icon --> type ‘cmd’ and right click ‘Cmd.exe’ and select ‘run as administrator’-->in the black window that opens, type ‘cd c:/Users/<yourusername>/.android/avd’ <enter> --> on the next line type ‘android update avd –n AndEmu’ <enter> -->You should now get a message telling you that the package was updated successfully (‘Updated system.img’) You should now be able to double-click the AndEmu.ini file or open it in the SDK Manager. You should now see a ‘virtual phone’ on the screen.

11. Run your AVD – Double click the AndEmu.ini file OR open Eclipse and SDK Manager (Android) and run it from SDK Manager. (In Virtual Devices you should now see AndEmu and you can double click on it and run it from there.) This will bring up a virtual android phone. Follow the prompts and play with it – NOTE: When it asks you to ‘slide out the keyboard or if you have to change the orientation from landscape/portrait or v.v. you need the following commands: Ctrl + F12 (some people use Ctrl +F11) OR use 7 or 9 on number pad (with Num Lock off).

12. Finish the tutorial (or skip it). You can now create/sign into a Google Account and you can get Market access. Yippee. (You will get prompts to set up a Google Market account or sign in – if you have an existing gmail account, just sign in, otherwise create one. Then browse through the apps, and download and install ANYTHING that you want to use. I would strongly suggest that you download an uninstaller, to allow you to wipe the system and download new apps when you wish.

13. When you have finished, you will have a number of apps (apk files) installed on your virtual phone. We need to copy them onto your PC, and then transfer (copy/paste) them and install them to the tablet (e-reader).

**Now you can transfer these to your tablet and install them by copying and pasting them to the sd card – so easy!

14. When you want to download and install some new apps, you should FIRST UNINSTALL the apps from your AVD (to clear the memory). THEN you can download and install some new apps. Repeat this process as desired.

**You can find some further detailed info at http://www.howtogeek...id-emulator/How To Enable the Android Market in the Google Android Emulator

I hope that this will help a few people - I know that this process took me weeks to months to sort out, and I've had no access to the Market in that time. So this should help - you'll have Market access in under an hour. This is a versatile process which will work for ANY tablet owner, and any market app.

I decided to post this because so much of the content was helpful, but most of it seemed to be way over my head. I was desperate for some easy advice. I hope this will fit the bill, for most of you out there. Best of luck!

**Please let me know if my information has helped you in any way. I'd be thrilled to know it has done someone some good!

Thanks a million!
str8arrow

**NOTE: I misplaced some firmware that someone very kindly sent me - so if anyone (terminander??) can help me out, I'd really appreciate it! (Terminander actually sent me some firmware a while ago via PM, but the message disappeared when I clicked Reply to thank him. I lost the firmware and I feel very stupid.) So...I'm at a loss, and I'd be much obliged if terminander (or someone) could help me by re-sending the firmware OR better yet, by providing a solution to my 'non-working apps' problem. (Essentially, I've tried to install numerous apps that SHOULD be Android 1.5 compatible, but they won't install, because Pandigital screwed around and did something to the firmware. So I am beating my head against the wall and I'd be grateful for ANY help, from ANYONE.......waiting with bated breath to hear from someone out there.....

I see you posted this in July. When I go to Java the link is broken and the download dirctory shows me current JDK is version 7. Does this make a difference or do I have to use JDK 6?

#6 walkerwj

walkerwj

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:58 AM

Victory!!

Thanks a million!
str8arrow

Hi. In Step 2 the Android SDK link is broken as well.

#7 walkerwj

walkerwj

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:15 AM

Hi. I think you need to check your links. Step 1 and 2 are broken. Step 4 GEF is a HTML code page, WST appears to be a URL placeholder.

#8 sainthooligan

sainthooligan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:27 PM

Nice guide.
out side of the PDN box- this is very useful as some apps will not show for some other devices (even though they will still work on them!)
Gonna check it out on a PC.

Edited by sainthooligan, 16 August 2011 - 12:28 PM.

#9 AndNewb

AndNewb

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:26 AM

Very clear instructions, thank you!