Cruz reader r101 wifi problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kristalia

Kristalia

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:47 PM

I've tried everything (even installed the firmware update) and it boils down to this. When i go touch the check mark to turn the wifi on it goes through its turning on stage then once it connects it searches for signals and then tells me unable to scan. then 10 seconds later the wifi turns off. it won't stay on long enough for me to do anything. I tried putting in my network but it then tells me it is unable to save the network. It also has this pop giving me the choice to fore close or wait neither seems to make any difference. I also got a popup say some android settings wasn't responding I've looked everywhere on the internet and have spent about 3 hours reading and watching vids with no positive outcome.

It is not my internet since I have a leptop, netbook, Wii, and psp hooked up to it all the time with no trouble. I also don't think its a weak connection since I am sitting right next to the internet box/router/ (whatever its called) Now I really bought this reader to be just that a reader I might put a few songs on it and maybe some pictures but I didn't buy it for surfing the internet. So at some point I won't care if its hooked up but right now I want to get everything on it.

#2 Jbeth

Jbeth

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:00 PM

I had the exact same thing. I tried secure wifi and sitting in Starbucks trying unsecured wifi. Calling Velocity was useless, after a very long wait, being disconnected and another long wait I was told that I had to go to the website and fill out a ticket without offering any suggestions. Support sent me a long list of complicated instructions involving downloading and saving to a memory card then inserting into the Cruz which didn't work. All very frustrating since before I could return it, I had to prove that it had come from an "authorized" supplier and being a gift, I had to go to the giver for the receipt. Velocity did send a new one instead of a repair and I'm very happy with it. Good luck and hang in there!

#3 Mykul

Mykul

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:23 PM

Have you tried disconnecting the battery? This always works when mine does that.

#4 killian44

killian44

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationNV. USA

Posted 18 September 2011 - 02:08 PM

Did you ever get it figured out? I was having the same problem and I accidentally found out wifi protected mode was interfering with my r101 and being a bit of a newbie to android I am still not sure why. Not sure if like Starbucks has a protected mode setup with there wifi. I have never had a problem at the library tho.

#5 lou1492

lou1492

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 02:15 PM

My wi-fi is also inconsistent.

Hoping to find a fix here.

#6 killian44

killian44

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationNV. USA

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:43 AM

Don't know if you guys will check this post/thread again but I just found out by accident that my R101 wifi worked better with the cover off. Kind of like Zenithinks C91 so I'm wondering if it's a hardware issue with the antenna. I just finished rooting the R101 and the whole time the wifi was out until I pulled the cover off the back. It's great little reader and tough enough for the kids to poke at and play some games and a simple android learning tool. If you can root this darn thing I think you handle anything else cause it was a pain in the rear to do. The C91 was a breeze compared to the R101. Actually just about everything is easier. Anyway hope this helps.

#7 GJSmith3rd

GJSmith3rd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:08 AM

Bump... Wrong forum... This is for Cruz Tablets.. Ha Ha Ha... Oh and I may have a tip for you. Whenever my WIFI acts errractic or reports an error I just leave the WIFI on and use a task killer like 'System Tuner' to kill the WPA Supplicant which is the client. Then after the supplicant is terminated I go to WIFI setting and enable WIFI. Works every time on 802.11x Radius WPA2 network. You will need to use a task manager that displays the system and kernel processes.

However this may not work for you because this is not the Cruz Reader forum... ha ha ha...

You may need to kill another supplicant though if your not using WPA/WPA2.

~~ Sent from my Velocity Micro Cruz PT701/T105 via Tapatalk ~~

Edited by GJSmith3rd, 15 December 2011 - 07:25 AM.

#8 bdf2083

bdf2083

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:14 AM

My mom just got one for free with her new bed. I didn't have any trouble setting up the wi-fi at all. how common of a problem is this?

#9 GJSmith3rd

GJSmith3rd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:30 AM

My mom just got one for free with her new bed. I didn't have any trouble setting up the wi-fi at all. how common of a problem is this?

You didn't mention your model but the Cruz T100/T300 has had all sorts of disappointing surprises for new owners. Personally, I've always had quirky WIFI on Eclair and Froyo. But for me killing the supplicant has always fixed to problem. I often have to disconnect/reconnect as well.

~~ Sent from my Velocity Micro Cruz PT701/T105 via Tapatalk ~~