Photo

Is the Toshiba Thrive a better choice for students?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Joker

Joker

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:16 AM

Today I read this post :http://www.toptabletreview.com/toshiba-thrive-is-better-for-students-in-mainstream-tablets.html
Actually I agree with most of it, but as for me, a student, it's kind of expensive for students.

How do you think about it?

#2 ritchea

ritchea

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:24 AM

Today I read this post :http://www.toptabletreview.com/toshiba-thrive-is-better-for-students-in-mainstream-tablets.html
Actually I agree with most of it, but as for me, a student, it's kind of expensive for students.

How do you think about it?

It depends on what you want/need it for. Is this to be a laptop replacement? Would you have good wireless available to you in school and out? The Thrive can help when wireless is not available because you can attach storage devices. Are you comparing Thrive to other 10" Android tablets? Tablets with fewer ports should be fine when you can always have a connection. Laptops can be bought for less money. They are more versatile, IMHO. They are heavy to carry compared to tablets. The Asus Transformer with keyboard might be a better laptop replacement if you want an Android tablet to replace a laptop. That is also expensive. A 7" device (like Coby Kyros 7022 running Android 2.3--cheaper, capacitive, flash-abled--BestBuy indicates a keyboard can be attached) may be better for ebook reading. My son, a digital media major, asked about an ereader since his books are very heavy. I said Android device because it is versatile--install many reader apps. However, he has a 13" Macbook pro. Any books that are digitally available will work on his Macbook--a tool he must take with him--through apps or pdf. He needs to run high-end video programs. If you just need access to internet, email, and basic utility programs (word processor, spreadsheet, etc), you might consider a netbook. They are generally a little cheaper than laptops and not as heavy. Look at the processors before purchasing a netbook. What's available to you may also depend on what country you are living in.

#3 Dirty_Nick

Dirty_Nick

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:30 PM

It depends on what you want/need it for. Is this to be a laptop replacement? Would you have good wireless available to you in school and out? The Thrive can help when wireless is not available because you can attach storage devices. Are you comparing Thrive to other 10" Android tablets? Tablets with fewer ports should be fine when you can always have a connection. Laptops can be bought for less money. They are more versatile, IMHO. They are heavy to carry compared to tablets. The Asus Transformer with keyboard might be a better laptop replacement if you want an Android tablet to replace a laptop. That is also expensive. A 7" device (like Coby Kyros 7022 running Android 2.3--cheaper, capacitive, flash-abled--BestBuy indicates a keyboard can be attached) may be better for ebook reading. My son, a digital media major, asked about an ereader since his books are very heavy. I said Android device because it is versatile--install many reader apps. However, he has a 13" Macbook pro. Any books that are digitally available will work on his Macbook--a tool he must take with him--through apps or pdf. He needs to run high-end video programs. If you just need access to internet, email, and basic utility programs (word processor, spreadsheet, etc), you might consider a netbook. They are generally a little cheaper than laptops and not as heavy. Look at the processors before purchasing a netbook. What's available to you may also depend on what country you are living in.

I agree that a netbook may be better depending on what they intend to do with it. For simple email, social networking, and browsing, the tablets are great. If they are going to write reports and use spreadsheets or presentations, then the netbook is more appropriate. My wife has been using an HP 210 netbook for over a year with MS Office and it works well. Spend the $$$ for higher resolution screen. 10" screen works well as long as its 1280x800 or higher resolution. Don't waste $$$ on 1024x600 screens, its frustrating to work with that size screen for a netbook/laptop. If you can choose Windows XP for the netbook instead of Windows 7, it works better.

#4 butchconner

butchconner

G-Tab Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Louisiana

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:00 PM

I agree that a netbook may be better depending on what they intend to do with it. For simple email, social networking, and browsing, the tablets are great. If they are going to write reports and use spreadsheets or presentations, then the netbook is more appropriate. My wife has been using an HP 210 netbook for over a year with MS Office and it works well. Spend the $$$ for higher resolution screen. 10" screen works well as long as its 1280x800 or higher resolution. Don't waste $$$ on 1024x600 screens, its frustrating to work with that size screen for a netbook/laptop. If you can choose Windows XP for the netbook instead of Windows 7, it works better.

Nick,

I have had multiple netbooks and tablets and notebooks (through good fortune!) and I think it comes down to this. If you just want to take a few notes, check e-mail, do Facebook, etc. a tablet should be more
than adequate. But if you plan to write papers, etc. -- I think you should just get a small to medium (14-15") notebook. A notebook often can be purchased for $50 more than the netbook and it includes DVD drive,
bluetooth and other features the netbook doesn't have. It also has a bigger screen, which will really help with writing!

Just my thoughts....

RevBC

#5 dryster

dryster

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

I definitely agree that a netbook, maybe running easy-peasy or other linux is the best bang for the buck for a student. Whatever you chose, there will have to be a keyboard involved, mouse is good too, RJ45 if you need it, plenty of USB options and easy to print from. I have an Asus EEE netbook, cost a hundred bucks, small, have carried it on many a vacation, always reliable, does what it's told.

Oh yes, and no need for MS Office, Open Office, always free, is amazing.

Edited by dryster, 13 May 2012 - 01:11 PM.

Tablets past : Nationite Midnite. Witstech A81E : White Pandigital Novel : Zenithink ZT280 C71 M3-C71-1M : Blackberry Playbook : EV2 NEC Renesas Dual A9 Cortex : Zenithink ZT-180 v2 512mb 4gb : Telechips TCC8902 : Elocity A7+ Tegra : Ainol Novo 7 Tornados : Eken T01A A10 : Ampe A76 A13 : Aishuo A816 S5PV210 : HT SurBox 701 AML8726-M : iPad v1 : Kindle 4th GEN - currently still have the Eken T01A A10 the Kindle and the iPad. Have become a cord cutter over last 12 months, Roku, Apple TV, HTPC with ATSC/QAM and soon to test out the OUYA.

#6 LAWNKILLER

LAWNKILLER

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:22 PM

I have to add that a tablet is not a replacement for a Laptop or a desktop PC. I still rely on my laptop and Pc to do the bulk of my web browsing/research ex. If I was a student right now, I would have a tablet with a usb/BT keyboard for class note taking and downloading class books. At home, sync it with the Laptop/PC and go from there.