Photo

Touchscreen Calibration -- NEED TESTERS!!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Spz0

Spz0

Advanced Shoe Gum Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Location..Look under your Shoe..

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:32 PM

Im having issues with the touchscreen calibration, and I need to find out if its an issue with my PDP (which I think not, because its been a constant with all 3 pdp's I've owned.), or a MFG/driver issue.
My issue is as follows:
Using the "Development" apk (located below), and entering "Pointer Location", you can track the location you point at on your screen.
My location is off. From the center towards the left of the screen, my calibration is off to the left, about 1/4".
From the center toward the right of the screen, it improves a touch, but by the time I've touched the edge of the right side, Its off again about 1/8" to the right of where Im pointing.
Same thing to the top and bottom respectively.

I have taken apart the entire unit and re-assembled, thinking that perhaps the tension was too tight on the resistive screen pad, but that has done nothing.

Below I have attached links to the "Development" APK, which contains the Pointer Location utility.
I have also attached 2 additional touchscreen calibration utilities -- "HtcCalibrate" and "TouchRecalibrate".

If I could get some people to install all 3 of these, run the calibration utilities one at a time, reboot, then test with the pointer location util located in Dev tools, perhaps I can get to the bottom of this once and for all.

So, test instructions:

Please use a stylus, or another blunt, pointed object to complete this test!! :)
  • Download and install all 3 apps located below.
  • Run "Dev Tools"
  • access the "Pointer Location" utility
  • Start taping random points on your screen to check your accuracy.
  • Then Start "Htc Calibrate"
  • Run through the calibration.
  • Restart
  • Run "Dev Tools"
  • Start taping random points on your screen to see if your calibration is still "off"
  • Reboot
  • Open "TouchRecalibrate"
  • Run through the process (be sure to NOT TOUCH your screen while it is calibrating).
  • Reboot
  • Run "Dev Tools"
  • Start taping random points on your screen to see if your calibration is still "off"
  • Report results here.

Thanks in advance for the help! :)

http://openzio.rtrne...Development.apk

http://openzio.rtrne...tcCalibrate.apk

http://openzio.rtrne...Recalibrate.apk

Edited by Spz0, 23 July 2011 - 10:59 AM.

I will not answer requests for help on bricked devices. USE THE SEARCH! If you are confused by clearly written instructions, you shouldn't be hacking your tablet!!!!!

Posted Image
.......Devices.......
.Moto Droid X
LiquidICS

------------------------------------
.Samsung Vitality (Admire)
OpenAndroid ROM 2.3
Spz0's OC Kernel

.Kyocera M6000(zio)
Rooted2.2.1
OpenZio ROM 2.1.2
Adrynalyne OC

.Pandigital Planet 2.3.4 REFRESH
OpenPDP ROM 2.3.4-v2.1

...and many other devices.

>>Donate<< to my Marriage counseling fund. o.0

#2 iyccyi

iyccyi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:10 PM

Im having issues with the touchscreen calibration, and I need to find out if its an issue with my PDP (which I think not, because its been a constant with all 3 pdp's I've owned.), or a MFG/driver issue.
My issue is as follows:
Using the "Development" apk (located below), and entering "Pointer Location", you can track the location you point at on your screen.
My location is off. From the center towards the left of the screen, my calibration is off to the left, about 1/4".
From the center toward the right of the screen, it improves a touch, but by the time I've touched the edge of the right side, Its off again about 1/8" to the right of where Im pointing.

I have taken apart the entire unit and re-assembled, thinking that perhaps the tension was too tight on the resistive screen pad, but that has done nothing.

Below I have attached links to the "Development" APK, which contains the Pointer Location utility.
I have also attached 2 additional touchscreen calibration utilities -- "HtcCalibrate" and "TouchRecalibrate".

If I could get some people to install all 3 of these, run the calibration utilities one at a time, reboot, then test with the pointer location util located in Dev tools, perhaps I can get to the bottom of this once and for all.

So, test instructions:

• Run "Dev Tools"
  • Restart
  • Run "Dev Tools"
  • Reboot
  • Run through the process (be sure to NOT TOUCH your screen while it is calibrating).
  • Reboot
  • Run "Dev Tools"
  • Report results here.

Hi Spz0,

I'm not with my tablets right now, but I can confirm from memory that for both of my planets, I DID notice a calibration offset of about 1/4" to the edge (most noticeable the top edge where the camera is located). I've kind of gotten used to it, but I do hope that it's a software remapping issue that could be corrected in the future.

#3 Spz0

Spz0

Advanced Shoe Gum Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:14 PM

I hope so too. The touchscreen calibration (android stock) force closes, and doesnt save the calibration. My TouchRecalibrate app on my ROM does finish, and the HTCCalibrate finishes also, but none of the values are saved. This leads me to believe that possibly Pandigital uses an unconventional method for their x/y coords calibration (would make sense as to why the stock TScal app FC's and the other ones dont do squat.).

I've posted something in the official Pandigital thread (by that Jonathan Guy). Hopefully we can get an answer soon.

Looking for other testers still. :)
I will not answer requests for help on bricked devices. USE THE SEARCH! If you are confused by clearly written instructions, you shouldn't be hacking your tablet!!!!!

Posted Image
.......Devices.......
.Moto Droid X
LiquidICS

OpenAndroid ROM 2.3
Spz0's OC Kernel

.Kyocera M6000(zio)
Rooted2.2.1
OpenZio ROM 2.1.2
Adrynalyne OC

OpenPDP ROM 2.3.4-v2.1

#4 wookie76

wookie76

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:36 AM

Posted Image

Maybe I got lucky / a good one?

I'm a lefty...In portrait with power button upper left -

Left index finger

As-is - dev pointer run gave a location approx 2-3 mm "northwest" of my fingertip "contact patch".

Afterwards - improved and seems to have stuck. horizontal axis appears pretty close in all quadrants. vertical axis drifts slightly the closer you get to the upper left power button side.

Edited by wookie76, 23 July 2011 - 10:49 AM.

#5 Spz0

Spz0

Advanced Shoe Gum Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:58 AM

I forgot to mention that people should be using a stylus, or a blunt pencil, or other blunt pointed object to do this testing. I will update my initial post. :)

Posted Image
.......Devices.......
.Moto Droid X
LiquidICS

OpenAndroid ROM 2.3
Spz0's OC Kernel

.Kyocera M6000(zio)
Rooted2.2.1
OpenZio ROM 2.1.2
Adrynalyne OC

OpenPDP ROM 2.3.4-v2.1

#6 drenner99

drenner99

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationRockford, IL

Posted 23 July 2011 - 02:55 PM

I completed testing on my PDP and did not notice any significant change in calibration accuracy.

Not sure how to exactly quantify the results, but on my unit, (which is stock - no wiring mods) the calibration is off differing amounts on different parts of the screen. When held in portrait, and using a stylus while using Pointer Location, if I tap around single points, I get these approximate results:

(portrait) Lower right quadrant of screen seems most accurate, with smallest amount of deviation. As I tap in this quadrant, deviation increases to the left going from right edge to middle of screen, and up as I tap from bottom to middle of screen. Deviation may be from 0 to 3 (pixels? according to x/y coordinates) in this quadrant.

Lower left quadrant - deviates 3 to 20 pixels left going from the middle of screen to left edge and deviates up 0 to 3 points from bottom to middle.

Top left quadrant shows most deviation from 3 to 20 pixels left when tapping from middle to left edge, and 3 to 20 pixels when tapping from bottom of quadrant to top.

Top right quadrant is off less than top left. Tapping from left edge of quadrant to right edge, deviation is 3 left at middle of screen, 0 at middle of quadrant and 3 right at right edge of screen. Deviation is up 3 at bottom of quadrant and 20 at top edge of screen.

Spz0 - don't know if this is the type of info you are looking for, or just a simple reporting of whether there were improvements or not. Also do not know if results might differ between those who have performed the wiring/antennae mod and stock units. Another thing is with the TouchRecalibrate app, when I ran it there was no indicator of successful completion, it just returned to the same screen with the "recalibrate" button, so if this is its intended behavior, I can't really tell if it is in fact doing anything. Thanks again for your attempts to resolve so many issues.

#7 drenner99

drenner99

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationRockford, IL

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:00 PM

One other thing of note is that if people have already updated to Spz0's V1.21 OpenPDP Rom, they only need to download the Htc Calibrate app since the other two are already included and installed with the Rom update.

#8 Spz0

Spz0

Advanced Shoe Gum Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:04 PM

Thanks for testing. These are exactly the results Im looking for here. Especially the results of the calibration being "off". It seems that my calibration is almost identical to yours.
SO, This means that the calibration is not working -- default Android OS calibration, nor the 2 apk's I've posted.
So what this is telling me is that these tablets possibly have a different way of calibrating the touchscreen, and that is causing the default TSCal app to crash (because it is trying to write values to a file/location that doesnt exist because the TS is calibrated differently), and causes the other apk's provided to finish, but not do anything.

Pending more results here, we need to start getting on Pandigital about resolving this issue. I know the calibration is not off by a lot, but a touchscreen is the most important part of a tablet, and should be calibrated 100%, as well as the calibration utility working!

Awaiting other results.

Thanks Drenner99 for your testing. :)

Posted Image
.......Devices.......
.Moto Droid X
LiquidICS

OpenAndroid ROM 2.3
Spz0's OC Kernel

.Kyocera M6000(zio)
Rooted2.2.1
OpenZio ROM 2.1.2
Adrynalyne OC

OpenPDP ROM 2.3.4-v2.1

#9 drenner99

drenner99

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationRockford, IL

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:38 PM

I agree that this may be an issue that Pandigital (Jonathan? Oh Jonathan!) may need to address.

I am also on my third device and have seen wild differences in QC/build quality/useability. My first seemed fine until it suddenly quit charging after a week or two - no led indication when charger was plugged in and discharged even if it was. Second (new) unit's touch screen was so bad out of the box that simply by holding the unit by the bezel would produce phantom taps on the screen, as well as slight presses on the back of the unit could be seen on the screen as presses. That one went back the same day (thanks to Kohl's excellent return/exchange policy.) The one I am now using has been good and despite the demonstrated inaccuracy of the screen, is still a great device IMO. I also realize that I did not pay a premium price for this, and am not expecting premium results. It is getting better with thanks to all the devs here.

After doing the screen testing, I now understand why I have such a problem tapping links and controls, particularly when they are located near the top of the screen in portrait, or along the right edge in landscape. I would encourage others to try the tools in the OP to be able to see how your particular unit compares.

#10 jp30044

jp30044

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:55 PM

My issue is as follows:

So, test instructions:

Please use a stylus, or another blunt, pointed object to complete this test!! :)

• Run "Dev Tools"
  • Restart
  • Run "Dev Tools"
  • Reboot
  • Reboot
  • Run "Dev Tools"
  • Report results here.

#11 jp30044

jp30044

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:07 PM

Hello,
I'm new to touch screen tablets so bear with me please.
I have installed OpenPDP-ROM-v1.21-Spz0-update.zip and it is running excellent! The Recalibrate app FC'd on me every time I tried it. It would do the touch routine and and show a done button and crash when the button was tapped.
Went to the HTC Calibrate and it functions without FC'ing but the test with DevTools/Position shows no improvement after three times running IAW your instructions. Position error is only 1/16" left @ the right bottom corner and 1/4" down and right @ the upper left corner---Bummer.
I like the OpenPDP-ROM-v1.21-Spz0-update.zip but would like to have the InstallApp App back that was on originally. How can I restore/reinstall it? Thanks a million for your efforts for all of us user's!
P.S.
Oddly enough when I use my mouse to test the position it is dead on all over the screen. Go figure?

Edited by jp30044, 18 August 2011 - 07:09 PM.