Android Tablets Forum banner

[ROM - 1.2] Flashback - Reunion (while you wait) :)

2M views 5K replies 457 participants last post by  kwmike 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
LAST UPDATE: 2/3/12 (alpha reunion)

Thank you Dave.S for the video!
Video of Flashback 10.0

Video of Flashback 9.0
[media]http://www.youtube.com/v/J98SDDJ3MhE?

STANDARD DISCLAIMER:
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. By running this firmware, you agree that there is the possibility that you may brick your device. You agree that only you are responsible and no one else is responsible for supporting you if that occurs.

Acknowledgments
Roebeet, Mrguy, Pershoot, Zebwen, Clemsyn and all the Adam and VEGA developers, for this excellent port. If you have contributed something I used let me know and I will add you here.

Pre-requisites
1. Setup and learn how to use nvflash. This is your backout in case something bad happens, so I would recommend you understand how to use this, in advance.
2. Have your device on a stock 1.2-based ROM / mod baseline. For example, build 4349 is the latest 1.2-based stock ROM, as of this writing.

NVFlash
- tlb1961's Rev4 nvflash for windows or linux(Detailed Instructions included in download.)

Installation for 1.2-based stock
Two options for installing Flashback

Option 1 (May have instability)
- Copy the zip file to the root of your internal memory.
- Reboot into recovery. Select install from sdcard.
- Wipe data if after first boot you experience instability or non functioning features that work for others. (this still may not fix your issues)

Option 2 (Preferred method and most stable option)
- View detailed instuctions

Installing Flash (you can upgrade to flash from the Market and use Opera for flash in web and go back to this hacked flash anytime to use Flash apps)
- Go to settings then Applications and select unknown sources
- In File Manager HD navigate to /system/data and install AdobeFlashplayer-hacked.apk
- Will need to repeat these steps after a data wipe!

Features
- YouTube App (All videos play fullscreen)
- External SDcard access
- PC Mounting
- Overclocking
- Flash Browsing (using opera)
- Flash Apps
- Web rendering apps
- adhoc support
- a2dp bluetooth

Flashback Team Members
Dave.S
HiTekRedneck
jazzruby
OtherGuy
rowwor
Sharpe351
TEK112
tlb1961
tlbardelljr

Downloads

Dave S. Flashback tip collection

Alpha reunion Link: http://androidtabletfirmware.com/firmware_details=MzQtMTMyOTc5MzkxNzk4NzI0OTkyNTI%3D (updated 2/3/2012)
Tweaked dalvik cache and memory settings to try to eliminate slow down after installed for a while
complete graphics changes.

Alpha 10.1 Link: [/color] (updated 11/11/2011) FlashBack 10.1

MD5 Checksum 2cc1aca7e5a41150276d31f8c4926a5f

Clemsyn Honeycomb Trial 5 Link: http://www.mediafire...7s7c1anfv1pnfe3

Compatible Game List
Check here for compatible game list by FunkyFlyChicken

Bug/Feature Request
Click here to enter your bug/feature request. Please be as detailed as possible.

Changelog
View the Flashback Changelog.

Issues
- Camera isn't working
- HD Video

See less See more
1 9
#3 ·
My apologies, I can't change the dates in order to keep the posts, so I am going to quote the pertinent posts that were discussing the ROM and we will have our new Flashback thread.

Thank all of you for your patience.

I'd like to use a USB Ethernet adapter with Flashback. I had used the USB adapter with a previous ROM from robeet and it just worked when I plugged it in. Anyone have an idea of what I can look at to get it working? Do I need to insmod a drvier and is there one for the pershoot kernel in 5.5?

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm still using VEGAn 5.1.1 because of the lack of HW acceleration as well as the PopCap games and a few other minor things in the newer ROMs. I've been doing what I can with the SDK to try and debug the games to find any kind of kernel error but haven't been able to find anything. What we really need is to move to a newer base kernel but that would involve a lot of work by Clemsyn or Pershoot and considering they have lives... =) Unfortunately my knowledge in this area is limited but I'm trying my best. If anyone has any ideas please PM me.

Cheers

PS - Keep up the good work on Flashback. I have been using it while I have been debugging. =)
Okay! Let the Flashback discussion continue. Thank you ALL again for your patience.

#5 ·
Sweet, let the Flashback thread commence. Thanks msburnout.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
My sentiments exactly. Now lets get back to work on this fabulous ROM you've come up with Mr. Bardell. Ahem, the screen shots? LOL

EDIT: Do we need to retain the locked thread?

#12 ·
Can you elaborate a little? What browser are you using?

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
wow...pause for a few hours on this thread and alot happens. Hope things get back to normal soon!

Anyway on to the good stuff. Installed a5.5 over a5.4 with only a cache wipe and all is well. Everything that was working is still working great. Bluetooth headset works for the most part. It did studder or stop while changing apps but that might be normal? Maybe another one of the memory management issues with 512mb ram. Flash from the market works for most of the tests I tried with Opera. Still no go on the stock browser. No big deal, I prefer Opera anyways. I don't have Netflicks so I couldn't test it, but lots of happy users reporting that works (at least that's what was here. lol).

Overall very happy with this biuld of Honeycomb on a gTab. Thanks tlbardeljr!!! and everyone else that has made this what it is. So when does this move from an alpha stage?

#18 ·
wow...pause for a few hours on this thread and alot happens. Hope things get back to normal soon!

Anyway on to the goo stuff. Installed a5.5 over a5.4 with only a cache wipe and all is well. Everything that was working is still working great. Bluetooth headset works for the most part. It did studder or stop while changing apps but that might be normal? Maybe another one of the memory management issues with 512mb ram. Flash from the market works for most tests I tried with Opera. Still no go on the stock browser. No big deal, I prefer Opera anyways. I don't have Netflicks so I couldn't test it, but lots of happy users with that working.

Overall very happy with this biuld of Honeycomb n a gTab. Thanks tlbardeljr!!! and everyone else that has made this what it is. So when does this move from an alpha stage?
My headset also cuts out when switching apps. Someone posted something last night about memory management for closing open apps. If they read this please post where that is again. It may help me work out additional memory issues.

The included flash app does play some flash in the stock browser.

IMO this moves from alpha when the camera works. I think all the hardware should function.

#24 ·
Trying this again. 1st try never posted... hopefully not a moderator thing with images.

Here are some pics of the new startup screens for the a5.5 build. These were taken with a camera and aren't the best quality but should give you an idea.

1st Startup Screen
Automotive lighting Font Rectangle Automotive design Automotive exterior

2nd Startup Screen (Note: Flashback text is animated)
Jaw Art Gadget Font Technology

Attachments

#27 · (Edited by Moderator)
It's my birthday on Saturday and a party will be going on all around me with about 20 of my closest friends. You know what I'll be doing? I will be VERY drunkenly posting here. Maybe I'll call you all bastards and say "I could write a camera driver in ten minutes flat." or some shit.

My point here is... I'm already drunk. Keep up the fantastic work tlbardelljr.

EDIT: Also wanted to mention that my little girl was playing happily on the tablet for an hour or so today while I watched. Thanks to you I had a nice moment. I probably would have done something else with her that was fun too, but that happened. Thanks.

#34 ·
So, I had it in the old forum, sorry its not a terribly useful question, but Ive been playing a game called inotia3 that doesn't seem too terribly demanding hardware wise. It crashes about every ten mins, but not fc' and sometimes locks the tablet. Already played with compatibility mode etc, any ideas on a fix? Thanks.

#36 · (Edited by Moderator)
It appears if one accidently picks the reboot recovery rather than reboot system (both the first option on the screen) then one can get caught in this loop. A suggested solution is to use cwm to flash a rom that contains stock recovery. I tried this method to flash stock 1.2 rom which I believe had stock recovery but for some reason the rom would not flash successfully. In the end I had to use nvflash to flash stock 1.2 and upgrade to flashback from there.

#37 ·
hello all
thanks to mrs B ,Smoke and tlbardelljr for getting this thread backup
and to all the members for understanding that things happen

#39 ·
First of all, thanks to tlbardelljr for a great ROM. I moved to Flashback 5.2 from BOS and have been updating with each new release.

I have only seen a few issues so far:
1. I can't get flash to work even after trying both the flash fix in the /system/data folder and Flash 10.3 from the Market. In Dolphin all I get is a black screen in place of the video and Opera says that Flash is not installed (this is when trying a CNN video).

2. Battery drain is still an issue. I accidently left the GTab unplugged a couple of nights ago and it was completely dead after less than 24 hours in standby.

3. I too get the Gallery FC at startup although it seems fine when I relaunch it. I read the post about the two versions on the old thread and mine is a pinkish purplish color so I installed the yellow one from the market but there is no option to delete the pinkish purplish one under Settings->Applications.

4. Yahoo Mail FCs all the time but from what I've read on other forums this is a known compatibility issue between Yahoo Mail and Honeycomb so I guess I'll have to wait on Yahoo for that one.

Again, great ROM!

Martin

#44 ·
Martin,

1. The flash install in data folder is advertised to work with stock browser. The issue with Opera is interesting. i would try an uninstall, reboot, reinstall from market again.

2. What is the advertised stand-by time? That sounds kind of normal to me.

3. The problematic gallery app (for me) sets up as a system app. You need to use TiB or Root Uninstaller to remove it.

4. I personally don't use yahoo app, but does it work for you in a browser?

#40 ·
Apparently I have bad timing... I've been on BoS and just made the switch the other day to Flashback... an hour before the original thread was deleted. Then I went back when I had some questions on things and it was gone. I get that you are all down with "starting fresh" but it would be nice to see the old thread locked and archived.

I have plenty of questions and I'm sure most of them would be answered in that thread.

#59 ·
FYI...there is a discussion thread on Viewsonic's Facebook page that many users are giving Flashback a lot of credit for being one of the most stable Honeycomb roms around! They are also requesting that Viewsonic do more in regards to software support for all us current users...there are FOUR PAGES of comments on the discussion thread here This is all due to the hard work of all the developers involved with this rom & not giving up...and having the skills & knowledge to be able to piecemeal a GREAT rom even without vendor support! Thank you Developers!!!

#66 ·
That would be wonderful and encouraging news if Viewsonic gave a tiny shit about the G-tablet.

If they did, we would have had drivers and support earlier this year when they actually listened for a moment.
Then they just laid it all on US Merchants, the guys who actually sold the things to some of us originally.

Hopefully, with Rayman's kernel ... we won't need the bastiches for anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.