Photo

Viewsonic Finally Responds To gTab Owners!

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:57 AM

Please re-read my quote from NVIDIA engineer above. He said they would support ALL VERSION.

Ok, and what does support really mean? Nvidia has not defined this so there is no way to know what they would offer to their vendors. It could be tech support they are talking about and without getting them to say specifically you and I can only guess what that entails. I am not arguing about them giving support but in trying to figure out what exactly they would provide.

Yes, I still believe Nvidia is to blame. Nvidia has created Android 2.3 & 3.0 for Ventana from link I gave but you will not see this for Harmony anywhere.

The ViewPad 7 is an older ARM11 600 MHz. So you think ViewSonic would rather support an older product than their newer Tegra 2 tablet? Makes very little sense to me. The ViewPad 10 is Atom (x86) 1.66 GHz. This is very different from an ARM based tablet which are the ones being sold the most. How many people are buying x86 tablets versus ARM ones? Gtab is the highest end ARM tablet that ViewSonic offers today. Really makes no sense for them to cut support on their latest tablet product.

Android 2.3 is out and many Chinese tablets are being upgraded to the newer version but all Harmony tablets will stay stuck with 2.2. I will like to see how you blame the other Harmony tablet makers for not upgrading their tablets too. Android 3.x will get released to everyone once Android 4.x gets finished. So, Ok we can leave that alone for now because only the big, name brand companies are allowed access to 3.x source.

I only know that Roebeet said he work with Viewsonic up to Jan/Apr release. My best guess is on bug report, testing, troubleshooting, the things he's doing now.

Well, ViewSonic needs updated drivers to make proper firmware release so very little use having someone testing and bug reporting when ViewSonic cannot get latest 2.3 drivers for their Harmony tablet. How could they release newer firmware without first getting updated Nvidia drivers? Without updated drivers, things would not work or the OS would run badly.

Either one can be at fault but to me it looks like a Nvidia issue. Nvidia has never said specifically that they would make drivers for Harmony tablets and only used a general statement to say they would support all their vendors. Until they define what that support means it is impossible to know exactly what they would provide. I do not believe any Harmony tablet will get 2.3 or 3.x official firmware but time will tell for sure. Already been about 7 months since 2.3 was released to the public and why do the Harmony tablets not have it yet when Chinese tabs are switching over already?

*MINIX NEO X5 (RK3066) - OK. Not fun because uses mouse cursor.
*YUANDAO N80 DUAL (RK3066) - Very good
*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#62 gTabletOwnerUnite

gTabletOwnerUnite

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:26 PM

Already been about 7 months since 2.3 was released to the public and why do the Harmony tablets not have it yet when Chinese tabs are switching over already?

While Gingerbread is better than Froyo, neither are design for tablet. With Honeycomb already designated as the tablet OS, it makes little sense to run something inferior. The Chinese tabs are running Gingerbread because they will never get Honeycomb officially. Many of them also do not have the hardware people come to expect with tablet, namely a dual core CPU and high resolution screen.
A home and meeting place for gTablet owners on Facebook @facebook.com/gTabletOwners
Sick of Viewsonic taking your money then ignore you? Register your boycott @Boycott Viewsonic.

#63 lartomar2002

lartomar2002

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:34 PM

While Gingerbread is better than Froyo, neither are design for tablet. With Honeycomb already designated as the tablet OS, it makes little sense to run something inferior. The Chinese tabs are running Gingerbread because they will never get Honeycomb officially. Many of them also do not have the hardware people come to expect with tablet, namely a dual core CPU and high resolution screen.

What functions are missing with the Honeycomb Rom?

Edited by lartomar2002, 01 September 2011 - 12:35 PM.

Asus Transformer Infinity TF700 32gb unlocked, rooted, CROMI-X 5.3a
Viewsonic G-tab (BL1.2 ROM) SmoOth Bean 1.5.2
Acer Iconia a100 Rooted and Unlocked bootloader. Just in case I want to install a custom Rom:D
Ainol Novo 7 Advanced
Nothing left in my right brain! Nothing right in my left brain!

#64 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:06 PM

2.3 has been out almost 9 months and none of the early Tegra 2 tablets have it. They also will not get 3.x either. Most Chinese tablets are now getting 2.3 ROMs. Some could even get 3.x later on.

The Tegra 2 Harmony has better hardware but will miss out on any software updates. Like how Flash added GPU acceleration for 3.0 so getting stuck with older Android misses out on benefits like these.

My opinion is better to either buy late model Tegra 2 Ventana tablet that has 3.x for little more money or lower cost Chinese tablet rather than spend lots of money on Harmony tablets that will never go beyond 2.2.

*MINIX NEO X5 (RK3066) - OK. Not fun because uses mouse cursor.
*YUANDAO N80 DUAL (RK3066) - Very good
*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#65 gTabletOwnerUnite

gTabletOwnerUnite

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:28 PM

rather than spend lots of money on Harmony tablets that will never go beyond 2.2.

never go beyond 2.2 "officially". :) I have no doubt we will see Ice Cream Sandwhich on the gTablet within 3 months of it being on market.

The sad thing is, when Tegra 3 get a launch date announcement in 6 months time, Tegra 2 will be Tegra Who?
A home and meeting place for gTablet owners on Facebook @facebook.com/gTabletOwners
Sick of Viewsonic taking your money then ignore you? Register your boycott @Boycott Viewsonic.

#66 Alanhzl

Alanhzl

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:55 PM

Does anyone know if ViewSonic has recently shut off their Gtablet "Support" page on facebook? lol, i wanted to check it just now to see what people have been saying lately on that "support" page, and i was no longer able to find it. None of the links provided by the OP works neither...

Did they make any announcements regarding shutting off that page atleast?

way to go ViewSonic..

#67 Alanhzl

Alanhzl

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:15 PM

The G tablet is no longer listed in the viewsonic homepage under their tablet catalog lol. Viewsonic is still hosting the gtablet's page if you google it.. Looks like they are really trying to cut all ties with the G tablet and their owners..

#68 pixelrider

pixelrider

FW Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:22 PM

No big surprise there.... just means we are officially on our own and fully unsupported by the vendor. Oh well...
I just KNOW I am gonna break somthin......oh well....wheres that new rom......

FrankenTAB v1.1.0 Official Release here

You can DONATE to me if you want to buy me a beer.

#69 sharpe351

sharpe351

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationApopka, FL

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:58 PM

never go beyond 2.2 "officially". :) I have no doubt we will see Ice Cream Sandwhich on the gTablet within 3 months of it being on market.

The sad thing is, when Tegra 3 get a launch date announcement in 6 months time, Tegra 2 will be Tegra Who?

If this kernal isn't completed, you may never see ICS. Even when completed, ICS is a long way off.
Devices: Asus Transformer running ICS no-bloat deodexed and zipaligned, Motorola Triumph on ICS/CM9 ROM, Pandigital Novel White.

Official released ROMs:PRIME Redux v1.0

If you can't get ahold of me here, check HERE...

Custom UOT file built for Brilliant Corners (BC Comb) Confirmed working on FrankenTab Alpha--HERE

Custom UOT file built for Clemsyn's Beast ROM (BeastyComb)--HERE

Member of Team Flashback

Seeking team members for Asus ICS modification... PM me for details

#70 Zenak

Zenak

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:24 PM

Only took 2 months, Tegra 3 launches in Dec.

It's the way of the world, they can't support every device they ever made forever. In the long run it's better for them to keep producing bigger and better. They haven't done anything for us in a long time, that's why we have this community in the first place...

#71 pixelrider

pixelrider

FW Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:04 AM

Well.... I say bring on the cheap malata tegra 3 tablets then....
I just KNOW I am gonna break somthin......oh well....wheres that new rom......

FrankenTAB v1.1.0 Official Release here

You can DONATE to me if you want to buy me a beer.

#72 Alanhzl

Alanhzl

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:04 PM

Well.... I say bring on the cheap malata tegra 3 tablets then....

nah, wont trust viewsonic any more, some of us did pay $400 plus for it . tinkering the g tablet was fun and all.. but i do eventually want to use somthing stable.

if i have the knowledge to be developing for the gtablet might be a different story, but i m just an average user i guess.

gonna get the prime and pass this to my two year old when it comes out.

#73 Cobey

Cobey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:10 PM

The G tablet is no longer listed in the viewsonic homepage under their tablet catalog lol. Viewsonic is still hosting the gtablet's page if you google it.. Looks like they are really trying to cut all ties with the G tablet and their owners..

It's listed, under Archived Products. Typical of all companies when they stop producing a specific device.

#74 Cobey

Cobey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:11 PM

That's already starting, as Acer's upcoming T2 tablets are being put in the "budget tablet" category.

#75 Agactual

Agactual

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:42 AM

Death of another "ipad killer". Damn shame really, it could have done quite well. Hell, it probably still could if they just put vegantab 7 or brilliant corners on but no, they are giving up. Oh well, not my problem.

#76 Cobey

Cobey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:00 PM

I think at least one tablet maker is getting a clue - Samsung. I think they make a good choice in picking up Cyanogen's head guy.

#77 popet

popet

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:57 AM

that is good news! thx a lot!