Photo

Viewsonic Finally Responds To gTab Owners!

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 mackinthebox

mackinthebox

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:37 AM

I will personally never buy another Viewsonic branded device and will not purchase any more tegra devices... Im probably going to stop buying most nvidia products as a result of this as well...

#42 Citrusman

Citrusman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationWinter Haven, FL

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:53 AM

A small update.

Almost a week have pass since the launch of the Viewsonic gTablet Onwers Unite Facebook page and we have nearly 40 people responded. It's a great start but we need more people. Please Like the page if you have not already done so and share it with anyone you know who own a gTablet or looking to get one.

Our goal is NOT to discourage people from buying the gTablet as more units sold translate to a bigger user base. If nothing else, the popularity (=sale figure) would be the one thing Viewsonic cannot ignore.

http://on.fb.me/gTabletOwners

This new Facebook 'person' and this message sounds more like another ViewSonic plant than a person helping us with complaining with reason about No Support for the ViewSonic G Tab. Our whole hope is in causing so much damage to the Badge (name) ViewSonic as we can and by so doing getting ViewSonic to give just some support to quieting the damaging chatter from ViewSonic owners. ViewSonic has the next Tablet near ready to market and need to get us quiet. ViewSonic needs less complaining about their lack of support.

This gTabletOwners person (http://on.fb.me/gTabletOwners) just appeared and started up this Facebook page with at least three different names. This person alone controls this page and now with sites on Tweeter. This person has no age, gender or history with us or a G-Tablet yet 'he' is taking questions.

This to me sounds more like ViewSonic being in the room now and skillfully trying to control the racket with this approach. We have their attention now but need to keep it going and keep it alive with a effort different from this one on Facebook.

#43 gTabletOwnerUnite

gTabletOwnerUnite

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:43 PM

This new Facebook 'person' and this message sounds more like another ViewSonic plant than a person helping us with complaining with reason about No Support for the ViewSonic G Tab. Our whole hope is in causing so much damage to the Badge (name) ViewSonic as we can and by so doing getting ViewSonic to give just some support to quieting the damaging chatter from ViewSonic owners. ViewSonic has the next Tablet near ready to market and need to get us quiet. ViewSonic needs less complaining about their lack of support.

This gTabletOwners person (http://on.fb.me/gTabletOwners) just appeared and started up this Facebook page with at least three different names. This person alone controls this page and now with sites on Tweeter. This person has no age, gender or history with us or a G-Tablet yet 'he' is taking questions.

This to me sounds more like ViewSonic being in the room now and skillfully trying to control the racket with this approach. We have their attention now but need to keep it going and keep it alive with a effort different from this one on Facebook.

Good theory but you have got it very wrong. :)

Not sure what I could do to prove to you that I'm not working for Viewsonic. I'm just a Library Tech from Australia. I'm happy for someone like Robeet to take over this Facebook page and the Twitter account if he choose to do so.

Perhaps a little more info might help.

I spent 2 weekends putting the page together. I registered and posted about this campaign in 6 different forums. (Got ban on one of them for posting link on the first post. :D Wasn't going to stay there anyway with their crazy rule like 24 post before you can post link.) I went through the multiple forums to make that Thank You list.

The reason I'm new here is because I'm a user, not a dev. I'm a Windows power user so I use to participate in lots of tech support forum/question but I'm pretty clueless when it come to Android. So I don't post unless I have something to contribute.

I'll be back later. Got to get ready for work.

===============================
Part 2.

I don't have access to FB at work so I'll post this here and paste it there when I get home.

I bought my gTablet from Amazon in Apri/May 2011 for AUD$315 including shipping. I rooted within 24hrs, running early version Bottle of Smoke, then Honeycomb port over from the Adam, then GtabComb.

The reason for the different names was because in some places, I joined before deciding to start this campaign. There's my real name, my nick name and the campaign name. You can work out which one is which. Once the campaign has started, it makes sense to stick to the same "brand" for easy tracking and recognition. I learn to use that welcome page/app and all the marketing tricks from the (2nd) link I posted on the Facebook page.

Regarding control of the Facebook page. I might be the current owner of the page, but there is NO RESTRICTION of what can be post on the page (aside from Medium language filter). I would be happy to hand over control of the page to someone with a long term gTablet community reputation such as Robeet. I have stated from the very beginning that this is a community focus project, that means I need as many people input as possible.

Regarding my personal information. I'm a 31 years old male living in Melbourne, Australia. Can you verify any of those information? This is the Internet where most people access it anonymously. Whatever you put online will be out there until the end of time for the human race (or until Facebook die). I value my privacy, hence I won't be volunteering any more personal details of myself to people I don't personally know in real life.

It seems you have make up your mind about me so there is nothing I can do to change that. My best guess at why you are suddenly convince that I'm in league with Viewsonic is because of my view, some of which I share with everyone while others differ. I'm a pacifist. I prefer to protest peacefully than aggressively. That is why I believe we should put the blame on (and boycott) Viewsonic, instead of the gTablet. We all love our gTablet, faults and all. It is why we are here fighting for its survival. If we encourage people to buy the gTablet while pointing out its flaws, it will help build a bigger user base/community which would gives the developers an incentive to continue putting out ROMs and mods for us to enjoy. If we tell people to stop buying the gTablet, the loser would be US. Viewsonic will continue to put out new products as long as they keep selling, regardless of what we do. The only way to hurt them is through the sale of their other products.

Ray, I hold no animosity toward you. I'm a little upset with the personal attack but I will get over it. What you should know is your jumping to conclusion and posting those comments on the gTablet Owners United Facebook page might have persuade some people to not sign up. I'll leave it up to decide if you want to remove your post. I'll be pasting my reply to your post so everyone will get to hear my side of the story.

Edited by gTabletOwnerUnite, 18 August 2011 - 04:37 AM.

A home and meeting place for gTablet owners on Facebook @facebook.com/gTabletOwners
Sick of Viewsonic taking your money then ignore you? Register your boycott @Boycott Viewsonic.

#44 waterhead

waterhead

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:20 PM

(Got ban on one of them for posting link on the first post. :D Wasn't going to stay there anyway with their crazy rule like 24 post before you can post link.)

I don't know which forum this refers to, but I can assure you that it is not just a "crazy rule".

I used to help moderate at LinuxForums.org, and I actually am responsible for instituting a similar rule there. Prior to that the forums were constantly being spammed, and that rule stopped it dead!
Paul

My Tablets:

ZT-180 GONE!!!
g-tablet One of the first, purchased Nov. 2010. Sold!!
g-tablet Woot purchase, running TNT Lite 4.4.0 Sold to a fellow Linux user!!
Motorola Xoom Wi-Fi
Azpen X1
HP Touchpad

#45 gTabletOwnerUnite

gTabletOwnerUnite

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:17 PM

I don't know which forum this refers to, but I can assure you that it is not just a "crazy rule".

I used to help moderate at LinuxForums.org, and I actually am responsible for instituting a similar rule there. Prior to that the forums were constantly being spammed, and that rule stopped it dead!

Paul,

I have been a member of, and participated in many online forums. I have seen my share of forum spams on well run community and those not so well. However, I have no experience of running a community forum myself so I can only empathise with you.

From my experience, a good forum/site life depend on a fine balance of rules and flexibility. The rules are guideline so you have something to fall back on. A forum that allow flexibility will nurture and grow instead of stifling the contribution of its members.

Depend on the software, there are several way to deal with spammers. Captcha will work on auto bots. For trolls, you can restrict their account. Most effective method I have seen is to use the membership class to control access. For example, members with less than a certain amount of post should only be able to view but not post in particular forum. This would be a better than let people break the rules then punish them as it involve much less work for the Moderator.

For all those reason, I think it's "crazy" to make up rule of minimum of 24 posts before allowing posting of links when there are better way to handle the issue. When you ban people for small mistakes, it does not help generate good will. It give off the impression of you (not you personally) being on a power trip. Those people might resent you more and come back to troll the place by using proxy etc...

Edited by gTabletOwnerUnite, 18 August 2011 - 01:06 AM.

A home and meeting place for gTablet owners on Facebook @facebook.com/gTabletOwners
Sick of Viewsonic taking your money then ignore you? Register your boycott @Boycott Viewsonic.

#46 gTabletOwnerUnite

gTabletOwnerUnite

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:43 PM

I've started a companion page to Viewsonic gTablet Owners Unite called I Switched from Viewsonic. This page is to help register the people who are boycotting the Viewsonic brand. It's hitting them where it will hurt most.

Before anyone ask, Yes, you can continue to use your current Viewsonic product as long as you have made a purchase of a different brand because of a previous bad experience with Viewsonic.

Edited by gTabletOwnerUnite, 18 August 2011 - 02:45 PM.

#47 gTabletOwnerUnite

gTabletOwnerUnite

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:01 PM

Another update. This would fit better in Citrusman new thread but as he don't believe I'm genuine, I don't want to make it seems like I'm trolling him.

Phase 2. Time to ramp this up.

Mr Ray/Citrusman bring up a good point on Slatedroid. All our efforts so far are not reaching the people outside of the forums. We are preaching to the choir. We need to be on the top of Google search result so that whenever someone Google for any combination of "viewsonic, gtablet, support, update", our pages will be there in the first 5 result.

Achieving this goal will not be easy as Google algorithm will always give preference to official website, but it is possible to manipulate it so we can rise higher in the search ranking.

I have rewrote the landing/welcome page to include as many of the keywords as possible.

We need as many Facebook, blog, forum linking back to the Facebook page as possible. I don't think Google index Twitter but it's worth a try. It would work best if you can write a blog post about the issue our developers are facing and link it back.

For people who are not familiar with the topic, how Google ranking works.

The result wont happen over night as it might take sometime for Google to re-index. With every link back and clicks, we will rise higher in the search ranking.

Living Enzyme, would you consider posting a link back to the Facebook page on your gTablet for Dummies site? Also, you need to add more meta data to your page. With all that contents you have put together and the referral you get, your page should have been up there whenever those keywords was used on Google. Please see the link below for some advice.

Is metadata still very important to organic Google search results?

Edited by gTabletOwnerUnite, 19 August 2011 - 05:03 PM.

#48 lanegd01

lanegd01

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:30 AM

While I'm sure its already been done has anyone tried going through Malata to get the Gingerbread and Honeycomb Tegra 2 drivers, since Viewsonic just re-labels the Malata ZPad as the G-Tablet.

Even though it seems many of these Chinese manufacturers don't offer much in the way of product support they can't be much worse than Viewsonic.

I have emailed support several times but no response Malata and Viewsonic a great pair

#49 gTabletOwnerUnite

gTabletOwnerUnite

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:50 AM

Time for a little viral marketing.

We are about to hit the 100 members mark sometime this week. To celebrate, I think it would be a great opportunity to do a big (viral) marketing push.

If the Facebook study I have read is true, the average person on Facebook has about 10-20 people on their friends list. My suggestion is for everyone to take a minute to hit the Share button on the bottom left of the Facebook page to post it on their Wall. That would give us a minimum of 1000+ more pair of eye balls seeing the message. Some of them might be gTablet owners or know someone who does. But our real aim is to bring to their attention our cause and at the same time spread negative publicity for Viewsonic to another 1000 people who might in turn share it with more of their friends. With some luck, we might just reach that critical mass that will attract Viewsonic attention.

Make sure to include a message along the line of:

"I own a Viewsonic gTablet and I need your help. Viewsonic has abandon this device after only 3 months of support. Now they are killing it by refusing to provide the necessary driver so the community developers can continue to update it. Please share this with all your friends so we can warn as many people as possible about Viewsonic dodgy business practice."

#50 90trax

90trax

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:13 AM

@gtabletownerunite,
Yeah, and i bought the viewpad 10s (2 devices, man!!) recently just because the affordable price (in my country, the price is almost 300$ bundled with unlimited internet (not locked up) for one year)... Now i am even not sure to buy something from Viewsonic again, so i will join your FB group ^^
The lack of support is giving me creeps...
Even one device of mine was not fully QCed, so i must return it to the shop, and the shop (one of the biggest e-store in my country) said, "sorry, this product is just too new and the driver was not included even in their website, so, we will change your tablet to the new one." What a shame, Viewsonic....

Edited by 90trax, 22 August 2011 - 08:22 AM.

• gTabletOwnerUnite likes this
Thank you for all of your hardwork, developer! Keep it up!
My Devices:
1.I-Mate Ultimate 9502 WinMo 6.1 build 19562 (My first smartphones)
2.Viewsonic Viewpad 10s stock firmware (currently hate it, cuz i can't mod it ^^)
3.Ipad 2 3G 16GB (Too lazy to use it)
4.Dropad A8i G3NESIS 2.2.1 (Stick with this, man... I love this device ^^)
Waiting for next-gen android device....

#51 lartomar2002

lartomar2002

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:18 PM

The issue is with Nvidia not ViewSonic. ViewSonic cannot release a newer ROM unless Nvidia provides newer drivers to them.

Nvidia intends to only update drivers for Tegra 2 Ventana. Tegra 2 Betelgeuse & Harmony will only have Android 2.2 drivers. The gTablet uses Harmony and not the latest Ventana version.

http://developer.nvi...-harmony?page=1

ViewSonic is going to ask Nvidia to update drivers to 2.3 for Harmony but Android 3 brought in multicore (SMP) support. So, you gTab users are stuck running single core A9 without Android 3.x.

Quick list of basic differences between the three Tegra 2 SoCs:
http://developer.nvi...harmony-ventana

The gTablet is now selling for $260 off Amazon sold through Woot because will only support 2.2 (and maybe 2.3).
http://www.amazon.co...12656083&sr=8-1

Blame Nvidia for not wanting to make newer drivers for their "older" Tegra 2 platforms. PS, do not believe what Nvidia says about supporting the vendor to update Android. Vendor depends on chip maker to provide newer drivers to them and are not going to hire any developers to update or fix drivers themselves. So, if Nvidia does not give any 2.3 or 3.x Tegra 2 Harmony drivers then there will be no official gTab Android upgrade.

Are there any unoffical drivers for GTab. By the way, got mine for $219.00 from JR Music w/ free shipping.

Asus Transformer Infinity TF700 32gb unlocked, rooted, CROMI-X 5.3a
Viewsonic G-tab (BL1.2 ROM) SmoOth Bean 1.5.2
Acer Iconia a100 Rooted and Unlocked bootloader. Just in case I want to install a custom Rom:D
Ainol Novo 7 Advanced
Nothing left in my right brain! Nothing right in my left brain!

#52 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:08 PM

Are there any unoffical drivers for GTab. By the way, got mine for $219.00 from JR Music w/ free shipping.

No unofficial or open-source drivers. Nvidia makes the drivers which are used by the tablet makers. Linux developers could do this but would take awhile, like 2 to 5 years, and have to be willing to code these from scratch. Hard work & not going to happen.

The GTab pretty much is stuck at 2.2 unless pressure is put on Nvidia to support their other/older Tegra 2 models like the Harmony. Nvidia will not update the drivers themselves for these older Tegra 2 designs (ie, try to pass the work onto tablet maker).

Shows that they provide 2.3 & 3.0 for Ventana only.
Tegra Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) for Ventana
Tegra Android 3.0 (Honeycomb) for Ventana
http://developer.nvi...evelopment-pack

Graphic drivers are always closed source to protect hardware secrets and only shared with tablet maker who signs NDA.

*MINIX NEO X5 (RK3066) - OK. Not fun because uses mouse cursor.
*YUANDAO N80 DUAL (RK3066) - Very good
*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#53 lartomar2002

lartomar2002

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:29 PM

No unofficial or open-source drivers. Nvidia makes the drivers which are used by the tablet makers. Linux developers could do this but would take awhile, like 2 to 5 years, and have to be willing to code these from scratch. Hard work & not going to happen.

The GTab pretty much is stuck at 2.2 unless pressure is put on Nvidia to support their other/older Tegra 2 models like the Harmony. Nvidia will not update the drivers themselves for these older Tegra 2 designs (ie, try to pass the work onto tablet maker).

Shows that they provide 2.3 & 3.0 for Ventana only.
Tegra Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) for Ventana
Tegra Android 3.0 (Honeycomb) for Ventana
http://developer.nvi...evelopment-pack

Graphic drivers are always closed source to protect hardware secrets and only shared with tablet maker who signs NDA.

Gotcha, Thanks

Asus Transformer Infinity TF700 32gb unlocked, rooted, CROMI-X 5.3a
Viewsonic G-tab (BL1.2 ROM) SmoOth Bean 1.5.2
Acer Iconia a100 Rooted and Unlocked bootloader. Just in case I want to install a custom Rom:D
Ainol Novo 7 Advanced
Nothing left in my right brain! Nothing right in my left brain!

#54 gTabletOwnerUnite

gTabletOwnerUnite

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:02 PM

Nickos, we can't say for sure that it's NVIDIA fault. The evidence is pointing more at Viewsonic.

If you go to facebook.com/gTabletOwners and the Viewsonic vs NVIDIA tab in the left. I have collected all the official statement by both company in regard to the gTablet. In chronological order NVIDIA stated they would continue to support all their device as long as the manufacturer choose to do so, back in April. Months later Viewsonic put out a statement that contradict that.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

#55 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:29 PM

I am very sure it is Nvidia's fault but impossible to say for sure with the information given. The statement made by Nvidia is very general & vague and does not provide a definitive answer.

If they really are providing drivers for Harmony tablets then why did Nvidia not say this specifically? Support could mean giving the 2.2 drivers to Viewsonic and only providing technical support over the phone to them, etc.

All you have to do is ask Nvidia to answer 1 simple question. Are there any Android 2.3 & 3.x drivers for Harmony tablets? It is a yes or no question and if Nvidia will not give a direct answer then that will tell you what you want to know.

This says it best.
ViewSonic:
FACT - nVidia is only supporting Gingerbread and Honeycomb on their Ventana platform. gTablet will NOT see drivers or Android upgrades beyond Android 2.2 from ViewSonic. ViewSonic has had direct conversations with nVidia about this issue.

I will give a better interpretation. [1] Nvidia is only developing 2.3 & 3.x drivers for Ventana. [2] Any 2.3 or 3.x on Harmony Tablet (GTab) will not be developed by Viewsonic. ie, ViewSonic is not doing any Nvidia driver development themselves. [3] ViewSonic is talking to Nvidia and trying to convince them to also develop 2.3 & 3.x drivers for Harmony platform.

*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#56 tjevans

tjevans

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 11:51 PM

which is exactly what Nvivida said back in April ot take the pressure off them. At that time, we pressured Viewsonic to provide a new stock update, which lead to the release of 4349, then the immediate withdrawel of it. Then we kept asking Viewsonic if they will ever work on a GB or HC update. They stated that Nvidia would not support Android versions higher than 2.2. Basically, they said exactly the same thing then, that they say now, with ONE glaring difference. In April, they never claimed to have contacted Nvidia.

Then, we started pressuring Nvidia to provide these drivers, to which they responded in their public forum that they WOULD support their hardware above Android 2.2 AT THE REQUEST OF THE HARDWARE PARTNER. They even mentioned Viewsonic BY NAME, in their response. So, according to their statement, all we needed to do was get Viewsonic to talk to Nvidia to get the drivers for later Android versions. Just recently, Viewsonic claimed that they DID contact Nvidia, and that Nvidia once again said that they would not support any Android version above 2.2.

They keep makign us go in cirlces, pinning the blame on eachother. Why would Nvidia mention Viewsonic by name, if they weren't referring to the Gtablet. It's the only device released by Viewsonic that is Tegra 2. They also mention Notion Ink and Advent, both of which released Harmony devices as well.

So...I've asked these questions of Nvidia, in repeated e-mails and on their "Honeycomb on Harmony" thread in ther discussion forums:

Did Viewsonic realyl contact Nvidia to attempt to get device drivers for Android OS higher than 2.2?
Did Nividia respond that they will not support any Android OS higher than 2.2 on Harmony Tegra 2 devices?
If this is the case, Why did Nvidia tell the community back in April that they WOULD support Android OS higher than 2.2 on their devices at the request of their hardware partners (Viewsonic)?

What we need are more peopel interrogating Nvidia to get these questions answered. Back in April, it all happened the same way, we blamed Viewsonic, they told us it wasn't possible, so we blamed Nvidia, then they told us that we just needed Viewsonic to make the request. Our pressure died off because we just assumed that Viewsonic wouldn't make the request. AND, Viewsonic ended up releasing the 4349 update. When we saw A result, we kinda let it go.

Just recently, we started pressuring them yet again, this time, they gave us the same line, but included the part that they DID make a request to Nvidia but were denied.

The situation we are in now is that Viewsonic STILL hasn't updated their stock firmware since April, which was a BROKEN update. They also shifted the blame, once again, to Nvidia, only this time, claiming that they contacted Nvidia. I personally think that is a complete line of crap. I don't think they contacted ANYONE. Viewsonic can not develop software, TapNTap does that for them. I'm sure that TNT can not develop a GB or HC rom...even if they could, would we even want it? (stock, no, but with some help, it might not be bad)

The problem with the Gablet is that there are too many companies involved. Viewsonic packaged it all, US Merchants supports it (well, they are supposed to anyway) TapnTap develops the software, Malata put it all together, and Nvidia provided the main hardware.

All we want is for Viewsonic to get their hands on drivers from Nvidia, that Nvidia said they WOULD provide, and then make them available to the people that deserve the credit for every dollar of profit that Viewsonic made from the Gtablet. If it weren't for Roebeet, Gojimi, Calkulin, Clemsyn, Pershoot, and others that I know I'm forgetting, then they wouldn't have sold any Gtablets after December...

#57 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 10:39 AM

If this is the case, Why did Nvidia tell the community back in April that they WOULD support Android OS higher than 2.2 on their devices at the request of their hardware partners (Viewsonic)?

Nvidia said they would provide support but never said what exactly that meant. If they ever said that they would provide 2.3 or 3.x drivers for Harmony tablets then show me that post so I can read it. Nvidia is playing with you guys.

#1 Nvidia said they would provide support to OEMs as long as they supported their product but never detailed what that meant. It could be access to their source for 2.2 drivers, their codecs, and also telephone/email support to the tablet maker. Nothing was ever said about 2.3/3.x drivers on Harmony tablets by Nvidia. Ask them to answer this question directly rather than using vague statements to shift the blame.

#2 Unless another Harmony based tablet gets 2.3/3.x with proper working Nvidia drivers then I can tell you that Nvidia is to blame. You will not see any Harmony tablets have newer Android with hardware accelerated drivers.

#3 Harmony is code name for their development board. Ventana is their final version product. Nvidia has made changes between these which require different code. That's why Ventana Android 3.x won't work on Harmony tablets. Nvidia does not care to support Harmony since that was their *testing* model and only a couple of tablet makers chose to use it. Why do you think all the other big name Tegra 2 tablet makers waited so long to come to market? Because they were waiting for Nvidia to come out with Ventana to ensure it would get future Android support. Harmony is Nvidia's *development board* and they used it to construct their final Tegra 2 product, Ventana. This is why all the other big Tegra 2 players decided to avoid using Harmony. ie, Asus, Acer, Samsung, Motorola, etc.

#4 Nvidia will never give you a direct answer and only make vague and general statments to keep you guys running in circles. If they admit that they have no intention to update the drivers for Harmony then lots of people will get angry with them. All Nvidia has to say is they have made newer drivers for Harmony but guess what, Nvidia has not and will not so they make comments with very general info to confuse Gtab owners and get you guys angry and yelling at ViewSonic.

#58 gTabletOwnerUnite

gTabletOwnerUnite

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:01 PM

Nickos, my words below are not intended to attack you or anyone personally. I'm simply putting forward my argument of why I think Viewsonic is to blame.

http://developer.nvi...ny#comment-6191

For our partners' Android devices, NVIDIA provides support until the hardware partner chooses to no longer support the device. So, for instance, NVIDIA will support the Xoom on all versions of Android Motorola requests until Motorola ceases to support the Xoom. The same goes for ViewSonic with the G-Tablet, Notion Ink with the Adam, Acer with the Iconia, LG with the Optimus 2X and so on.

I thought this statement express very clearly NVIDIA stance. Unless Viewsonic can provide the prove that they have contacted NVIDIA and got knock back, I would call Viewsonic the liar. A statement from Viewsonic several month later calling it's a FACT does not meant it is.

The last statement Viewsonic made, about them giving the buyer the wrong expectation because the gTablet was never meant to have anything beyond Froyo further confirm to me that they don't want to support the gTablet. Why mislead the consumer in the first place? If you wanted to make a Froyo tablet, give it 480x800 resolution and an older 1 Gig processor instead of a dual core processor. If we wanted to buy a Froyo tablet, we would not have pay $300-$400 for it.

Roebeet mention in another thread that Viewsonic was working with him up to around January or April then they went silence and their own rep in the forums (probably XDA) also disappeared. They cut all communication and stop responding to Roebeet. That said to me that they have made the decision to stop all support for the gTablet.

Viewsonic: Support the Community that Support Your Product.

Edited by gTabletOwnerUnite, 28 August 2011 - 08:03 PM.

#59 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 06:52 PM

Nickos, my words below are not intended to attack you or anyone personally. I'm simply putting forward my argument of why I think Viewsonic is to blame.

#1 Nvidia says they will support but does not give any specifics. I have tried to point this out. If Nvidia is going to provide 2.3 or 3.x for Harmony tablets then they should say so. They never will because they do not intend to do so. Also, support could mean many things like telephone and email support to ViewSonic, or access to non-updated driver source or codecs, etc. You are assuming they mean providing newer drivers to Harmony tablets but that may not be the case. Ask them the question and watch them never answer it directly.

#2 Without Nvidia giving them newer drivers; ViewSonic is left with no choice but to tell their customers that there was never any promise to upgrade Android on the GTab. Without proper drivers how would they be able to upgrade the firmware anyways?

#3 A company does not drop product support until they release a newer version of the product. ViewSonic does not have a replacement for the GTab which tells me they are unable to provide newer firmware for it because lacking the drivers.

#4 Have any other Harmony tablets upgraded to 2.3 or 3.x? If yes, which ones? It is highly doubtful that any Harmony tabs will get newer, official Android releases.

#5 The price has been dropped on the Gtab to around $250 because it is not upgradeable. Otherwise the price would have been $350-400. Their intention was to support their product to sell it for top dollar or do you really think they wanted to slash prices on the Gtab to clear out?

#6 Do you really think Roebeet has access to Nvidia drivers for that tablet? Drivers are kept closed source and only shared with tablet makers. They are not released to developers. ViewSonic likely saw that Roebeet could do very little improvements to Gtab firmware without driver source and ViewSonic is not in a position to share that code with him. So, they decided to cut their losses instead.

Anyone can compile Android OS but without the right drivers things will either not work or work not so well.

Until Nvidia clarifies what exactly they mean by support; it is impossible to know what they really mean. It could be anything and you are just guessing it means newer drivers. Nvidia will never explain what support means because saying they will not update to newer Harmony drivers would piss off a lot of tablet users. So they will use general statements to confuse you. Get Nvidia to answer that one question and then you will know for sure.

#60 gTabletOwnerUnite

gTabletOwnerUnite

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:43 PM

#1 Nvidia says they will support but does not give any specifics. I have tried to point this out. If Nvidia is going to provide 2.3 or 3.x for Harmony tablets then they should say so. They never will because they do not intend to do so. Also, support could mean many things like telephone and email support to ViewSonic, or access to non-updated driver source or codecs, etc. You are assuming they mean providing newer drivers to Harmony tablets but that may not be the case. Ask them the question and watch them never answer it directly.

Please re-read my quote from NVIDIA engineer above. He said they would support ALL VERSION. That's Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwhich and whatever comes after... as long as the manufacturer choose to do so. In the case of tablet, NVIDIA only deal with the manufacturer, not the consumer directly. My understanding is that NVIDIA makes the driver, give it to Viewsonic people (Tap'n'Tap etc..) responsible for putting the gTablet together. Initially Viewsonic people would work with NVIDIA people to get a release out the door. Once that is done, they move on to the next release. It's not like consumer support where people ring up months after the product has been release to ask for support. Therefore, it makes no sense to assume that NVIDIA is referring to email support.

NVIDIA has already made a statement on this issue. Since we are not their customer, they don't really have the responsibility to repeatedly answer our question or deal with us directly.

#2 Without Nvidia giving them newer drivers; ViewSonic is left with no choice but to tell their customers that there was never any promise to upgrade Android on the GTab. Without proper drivers how would they be able to upgrade the firmware anyways?

We came from different viewpoint. I assume Viewsonic is the liar. You believe NVIDIA is the liar.

I believe the reason we are not getting any new driver is because it cost Viewsonic money for every new driver they get from NVIDIA. They outsourced everything else on the gTablet as well so it cost them everytime they put out an update. Since they decided to abandon the gTablet for the Viewpad, it makes more sense to stop supporting it and not waste any more money.

#3 A company does not drop product support until they release a newer version of the product. ViewSonic does not have a replacement for the GTab which tells me they are unable to provide newer firmware for it because lacking the drivers.

They have the Viewpad 7 and 10s.

#4 Have any other Harmony tablets upgraded to 2.3 or 3.x? If yes, which ones? It is highly doubtful that any Harmony tabs will get newer, official Android releases.

I'm not aware of any Harmony tablet getting 2.3 but none of them can get 3.x officially because Google is only giving 3.x out to a limited number of manufacturer, namely their partners in the Open Handset Alliance.

#5 The price has been dropped on the Gtab to around $250 because it is not upgradeable. Otherwise the price would have been $350-400. Their intention was to support their product to sell it for top dollar or do you really think they wanted to slash prices on the Gtab to clear out?

While the gTablet spec is up there with everyone else, it does have some major flaw that does not allow it to compete directly in the same cost bracket as the Xoom etc...

1. It does not officially have Honeycomb
2. Poor viewing angle
3. Different screen resolution
4. Only 1 camera.
5. Design : fairly heavy and thick

Just to name a few. There might be other technical hardware limitation I'm not aware of.

Since they can't compete on hardware alone, they have to compete on price. That's what attracted most of us to the gTablet. It's potential to be a first class device at almost half the price of the competition.

#6 Do you really think Roebeet has access to Nvidia drivers for that tablet? Drivers are kept closed source and only shared with tablet makers. They are not released to developers. ViewSonic likely saw that Roebeet could do very little improvements to Gtab firmware without driver source and ViewSonic is not in a position to share that code with him. So, they decided to cut their losses instead.

I only know that Roebeet said he work with Viewsonic up to Jan/Apr release. My best guess is on bug report, testing, troubleshooting, the things he's doing now. I can't recall where I found that statement. Maybe Roebeet can confirm this himself.