Photo

Viewsonic Finally Responds To gTab Owners!

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#21 Sajuuk

Sajuuk

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:20 PM

While I'm sure its already been done has anyone tried going through Malata to get the Gingerbread and Honeycomb Tegra 2 drivers, since Viewsonic just re-labels the Malata ZPad as the G-Tablet.

Even though it seems many of these Chinese manufacturers don't offer much in the way of product support they can't be much worse than Viewsonic.

Some older ROMs.

GTablet -  Here or -  Here

N90 II - Here

T9-M728 - Here

#22 ramerco

ramerco

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:56 AM

Anyone see this tweet?

https://twitter.com/#!/ViewSonic/status/96969249884614656
https://twitter.com/#!/ViewSonic/status/96969338464116736

THink it means anything?

We are currently having discussions with Nvidia in regards to licensing issues. At this time, gTablet hardware is only licensed for the Android 2.2 operating system.

#23 WayneMasta

WayneMasta

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:46 PM

Anyone see this tweet?

https://twitter.com/#!/ViewSonic/status/96969249884614656
https://twitter.com/#!/ViewSonic/status/96969338464116736

THink it means anything?

We are currently having discussions with Nvidia in regards to licensing issues. At this time, gTablet hardware is only licensed for the Android 2.2 operating system.

I think it means that we will never see 2.3 or 3.0 officially licensed for the g-tab
In the game of chess you can never let your adversary see your pieces. ~ Captain Zapp Brannigan

#24 nunja business

nunja business

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:11 AM

I found it!
Here is Viewsonic's official response to the G-tablet owners' request for support.

Posted Image
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.

#25 c1tobor

c1tobor

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:45 AM

I found it!
Here is Viewsonic's official response to the G-tablet owners' request for support.

Posted Image

LMAO.....

#26 Guru

Guru

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:49 PM

Yep. They blocked me from all their FB pages just because I kept calling them out. Really ticks me off that they ask for our input but when they don't like it they just ignore you.

I'm getting tired of the whole "we are in talks" line as well. Personally, I don't think they are really talking to anyone. Just stringing us along until they finally can't anymore and then will just say "sucks to be you and thanks for your money."

Just entered this on their FB homepage. I'll be interested to see if they start blocking me again.

Viewsonic we need more updates other than " we are still in talks with nvidia". Are you talking about releasing drivers, creating a 2.3 OS, creating a fix for the 4349 update that broke video playback? WHAT? You are still leaving us twisting in the wind and it is extremely frustrating. You have to give us more than what you have to date. We deserve at least that much for our "patience" as you call it.

Edited by Guru, 06 August 2011 - 12:53 PM.

#27 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 02:17 PM

The issue is with Nvidia not ViewSonic. ViewSonic cannot release a newer ROM unless Nvidia provides newer drivers to them.

Nvidia intends to only update drivers for Tegra 2 Ventana. Tegra 2 Betelgeuse & Harmony will only have Android 2.2 drivers. The gTablet uses Harmony and not the latest Ventana version.

http://developer.nvi...-harmony?page=1

ViewSonic is going to ask Nvidia to update drivers to 2.3 for Harmony but Android 3 brought in multicore (SMP) support. So, you gTab users are stuck running single core A9 without Android 3.x.

Quick list of basic differences between the three Tegra 2 SoCs:
http://developer.nvi...harmony-ventana

The gTablet is now selling for $260 off Amazon sold through Woot because will only support 2.2 (and maybe 2.3).
http://www.amazon.co...12656083&sr=8-1

Blame Nvidia for not wanting to make newer drivers for their "older" Tegra 2 platforms. PS, do not believe what Nvidia says about supporting the vendor to update Android. Vendor depends on chip maker to provide newer drivers to them and are not going to hire any developers to update or fix drivers themselves. So, if Nvidia does not give any 2.3 or 3.x Tegra 2 Harmony drivers then there will be no official gTab Android upgrade.

*MINIX NEO X5 (RK3066) - OK. Not fun because uses mouse cursor.
*YUANDAO N80 DUAL (RK3066) - Very good
*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#28 nunja business

nunja business

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:19 PM

The issue is with Nvidia not ViewSonic. ViewSonic cannot release a newer ROM unless Nvidia provides newer drivers to them.

Nvidia intends to only update drivers for Tegra 2 Ventana. Tegra 2 Betelgeuse & Harmony will only have Android 2.2 drivers. The gTablet uses Harmony and not the latest Ventana version.

http://developer.nvi...-harmony?page=1

ViewSonic is going to ask Nvidia to update drivers to 2.3 for Harmony but Android 3 brought in multicore (SMP) support. So, you gTab users are stuck running single core A9 without Android 3.x.

Quick list of basic differences between the three Tegra 2 SoCs:
http://developer.nvi...harmony-ventana

The gTablet is now selling for $260 off Amazon sold through Woot because will only support 2.2 (and maybe 2.3).
http://www.amazon.co...12656083&sr=8-1

Blame Nvidia for not wanting to make newer drivers for their "older" Tegra 2 platforms. PS, do not believe what Nvidia says about supporting the vendor to update Android. Vendor depends on chip maker to provide newer drivers to them and are not going to hire any developers to update or fix drivers themselves. So, if Nvidia does not give any 2.3 or 3.x Tegra 2 Harmony drivers then there will be no official gTab Android upgrade.

Actually, I think I remember Nvidia saying a while back that they would update and release drivers if asked by the vendor. That sparked a letter/email/etc. campaign asking Viewsonic to request them that was pretty much what you see now. "We are working on it" teh response, which as we all know, was and is bullshit. Unless your definition of "work" includes lying to, misleading and ignoring its customer base, that is.

Some of you older guys correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by nunja business, 06 August 2011 - 08:20 PM.

Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.

#29 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:34 PM

Actually, I think I remember Nvidia saying a while back that they would update and release drivers if asked by the vendor.

Ok, I kinda see what you're saying by looking over this Nvidia Tegra employee post:
http://developer.nvi...ny#comment-6191

From ViewSonic Twitter post "We are currently having discussions with Nvidia in regards to licensing issues. At this time, gTablet hardware is only licensed for the Android 2.2 operating system. If you have other concerns, contact ViewSonic Support at (800) 866-6688."

From post above, I can only guess that Nvidia either does not want to support newer Android on (Harmony) gTab or wants more $$$ for it. Hard to really say without any more information whether Nvidia or ViewSonic is at fault here. Maybe the licensing issues are for Nvidia to provide firmware upgrades to ViewSonic? Sounds weird for ViewSonic to buy Nvidia's Tegra 2 chip and then have to abide with license deal telling them which Android version they are allowed to install on their tablet.

PS, are Nvidia willing to update all their Harmony drivers to 3.x if it only affects couple of tablets. Again, hard to say for sure. Most Tegra 2 tablets out there are using Ventana.

*MINIX NEO X5 (RK3066) - OK. Not fun because uses mouse cursor.
*YUANDAO N80 DUAL (RK3066) - Very good
*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#30 gTabletOwnerUnite

gTabletOwnerUnite

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:52 AM

After reading the the 12 pages over in Viewsonic's Facebook Discussion section on the gTablet support, I came away with the idea that what we need is a single united voice to get Viewsonic attention.

https://www.facebook...675&topic=18712

While many has already blog, tweet and post in forums to show how unhappy they are with the way Viewsonic has treated the gTablet, a single united campaign will hopefully get the attention of online (and maybe offline) media. This would lead to positive PR for the gTablet hardware and negative PR for the company. Hopefully, it will show them the true popularity of the device and get them to reconsider abandoning it for something newer.

I've created a Facebook page to get us started.

https://www.facebook...115515855214154

I welcome any input, help, advise, suggestion etc..
A home and meeting place for gTablet owners on Facebook @facebook.com/gTabletOwners
Sick of Viewsonic taking your money then ignore you? Register your boycott @Boycott Viewsonic.

#31 vsc

vsc

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:55 AM

I'm afraid that I sold off my g-tablet in favor of a number Xoom tablets, where my need as a developer is a supported development platform (e.g. Google dev platform for 3.X). Xoom is not ideal with respect to SWaP, but it serves a purpose for the next 6-8 months.

The g-tab appears to have been a shot at selling a number of tablets for Xmas last year through a non-conventional outlet, and then move on to something else. That said I think the lifetime of many tablets will be rather short given that Android is anything but stable at this juncture.

#32 gregw

gregw

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:11 AM

So is that Tashi guy actually Artistic or LBS himself?

#33 tjevans

tjevans

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 12:34 PM

So is that Tashi guy actually Artistic or LBS himself?

It's the same writing style and lack of intelligence as Edirector, in my opinion...

#34 tjevans

tjevans

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 12:40 PM

ViewSonic
All,

Maybe this will help. The OTA updater is not controlled by ViewSonic, and the 4349 update was pulled, apparently because there were issues with that version.

In the last three weeks, we have been trying to clear up erroneous information in regards to our support, nVidia, and the OTA. We are still working on some of these issues.

FACT - nVidia is only supporting Gingerbread and Honeycomb on their Ventana platform. gTablet will NOT see drivers or Android upgrades beyond Android 2.2 from ViewSonic. ViewSonic has had direct conversations with nVidia about this issue.

OTA Update: We are still awaiting a response from Flex regarding authorization for TNT. We will post information regarding this issue, when we learn more.

That was what they posted in their discussion thread, and their response to Roebeets request for an updated TNT rom.

So, it seems that 2 companies are sending their customers in endless circles, both putting the responsibility on the other, while neither claim responsibility themselves. Back in April, this discussion began. We asked Viewsonic for an updated OS. They told us that Nvidea wouldn't support drivers for harmony platform for anything above Froyo. We got pissed at Nvidea and made a stink to them. They responded that they WOULD support drivers above Froyo and that it was on the manufacturer to request those drivers. We tell Viewsonic this, and they now tell us that after discussions with Nvidea, that Nvidea will not support drivers above Froyo.

We can keep dancing like this until Tegra 6 gets released, but it's obvious to me that neither company wants to take responsibility for it's hardware, or software.

That is, IF Viewsoni is being honest in their assessment of what has happened in the past 3 weeks

#35 tjevans

tjevans

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 12:54 PM

Can anyone please post this to the Facebook discussion post for me...as I can't do it myself, anymore:

nvdru wrote:

UPDATE 13 APRIL 2011

A lot has been read into a very short post about a Tegra development kit. I'd like to clear up a few points.

First, nothing changes in what we’re delivering to the open source community or customers. NVIDIA will continue to post the Tegra kernel to kernel.org and publish our Android code to our public git servers. Additionally, we will continue to make our BSP (codecs, GPU driver etc) available to all our hardware partners. We will continue to do this and nothing about these processes has changed.

For our partners' Android devices, NVIDIA provides support until the hardware partner chooses to no longer support the device. So, for instance, NVIDIA will support the Xoom on all versions of Android Motorola requests until Motorola ceases to support the Xoom. The same goes for ViewSonic with the G-Tablet, Notion Ink with the Adam, Acer with the Iconia, LG with the Optimus 2X and so on.

In relation to my original reply, that was a response to a specific question about a Tegra 250 Development Kit. Given the confusion, we will work with owners of Tegra 250 Development Kits individually to determine their needs. The term "Harmony" is an internal codename for the Tegra 250 Development Kit. It is not a tablet reference design. Each shipping tablet is a custom design with varying hardware components and requires a custom OS image from the OEM who made the tablet.

Finally, while we cannot support or give out third party peripheral drivers or provide the Android 3.0 source before Google does, we do want to explore whether we can assist the open source ROM makers. We will be reaching out to them today.

Specifically the portion that I bolded. According to this, Nvidia has stated that it will continue to provide support on ALL VERSIONS OF ANDROID, until the hardware partner chooses to no longer support the device. SO, IF Viewsonic did request support for the hardware up to Gingerbread (since Honeycomb isn't available from Google, yet) then Nvidia should not have been able to say no, according to their statement.

#36 tjevans

tjevans

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 01:20 PM

I added a post to Nvidia's forum, where that original post was found. Here's what I said:

To Nvidea:

Viewsonic had a Facebook discussion that they opened for Gtablet users to pst concerns and questions. Many of us have asked Viewsonic to request drivers from Nvidea for Gingerbread, or Honeycomb support. We were told, in a prior post on this very forum:

For our partners' Android devices, NVIDIA provides support until the hardware partner chooses to no longer support the device. So, for instance, NVIDIA will support the Xoom on all versions of Android Motorola requests until Motorola ceases to support the Xoom. The same goes for ViewSonic with the G-Tablet, Notion Ink with the Adam, Acer with the Iconia, LG with the Optimus 2X and so on.

Less than an hour ago, Viewsonic updated their Facebook discussion to include this update:

All,

Maybe this will help. The OTA updater is not controlled by ViewSonic, and the 4349 update was pulled, apparently because there were issues with that version.

In the last three weeks, we have been trying to clear up erroneous information in regards to our support, nVidia, and the OTA. We are still working on some of these issues.

FACT - nVidia is only supporting Gingerbread and Honeycomb on their Ventana platform. gTablet will NOT see drivers or Android upgrades beyond Android 2.2 from ViewSonic. ViewSonic has had direct conversations with nVidia about this issue.

OTA Update: We are still awaiting a response from Flex regarding authorization for TNT. We will post information regarding this issue, when we learn more.

So, what exactly is the truth? Nvidie told us that they would provide support on all versions of android that a hardware partner (including Viewsonic) requests until that hardware partner (including Viewsonic) chooses not to support the device.

But, not Viewsonic (hardware partner) states that Nvidia will only support Gingerbread and Honeycomb on the Ventana platform. Viewsonic is showing that they are not "choosing to not support their device, and that they have made an attempt to request support for the the hardware from Nvidia.

Basic questions here:

Did Viewsonic contact Nvidia to attempt to get hardware support above Android 2.2 for the Gtablet?

Will Nvidia stay true to their comment and provide support for ALL android versions at the request of the hardware partner?

If Viewsonic did request such support, and Nvidia has pledged to provide such support for ALL android versions, then why would Viewsonic tell their Gtablet users that Nvidia will not support any android version above 2.2 for the Harmony platform?

I cna certainly say that Viewsonic Gablet OWNERS are a litlle more than sick and tired of the runaraound that we're getting. We are upset at Viewsonic, many of us beginning a boycott campaign. I personally, have pledged to provide negative comments in reviews of ALL Viewsonic products on various online retailer sites. I won't be reviewing products, but rather product support and customer service. It wouldn't be too difficult to do the same to Nvidia products as well. When the Tegra 3 is released, will support for all Tegra 2 devices (not just harmony) be cut off as well? Will the Xoom, Iconia, EEE pad, etc, not have official drivers for Ice Cream Sandwich, or other, yet to be determined, Android versions? That could be a lot of potential negativity for a publicly traded company. I'm sure that stockholders wouldn't appreciate it.

Please respond in kind to these questions, and let me know in the most basic terms. Will Tegra 2 Harmony devices ever get support from Nvidia for any Android version above 2.2? I don't want corporate double speak, a simple yes or no answer will suffice.

#37 gTabletOwnerUnite

gTabletOwnerUnite

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:39 AM

A small update.

Almost a week have pass since the launch of the Viewsonic gTablet Onwers Unite Facebook page and we have nearly 40 people responded. It's a great start but we need more people. Please Like the page if you have not already done so and share it with anyone you know who own a gTablet or looking to get one.

Our goal is NOT to discourage people from buying the gTablet as more units sold translate to a bigger user base. If nothing else, the popularity (=sale figure) would be the one thing Viewsonic cannot ignore.

http://on.fb.me/gTabletOwners

Edited by gTabletOwnerUnite, 13 August 2011 - 01:46 AM.

A home and meeting place for gTablet owners on Facebook @facebook.com/gTabletOwners
Sick of Viewsonic taking your money then ignore you? Register your boycott @Boycott Viewsonic.

#38 ed1field

ed1field

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:48 AM

A small update.

Almost a week have pass since the launch of the Viewsonic gTablet Onwers Unite Facebook page and we have nearly 40 people responded. It's a great start but we need more people. Please Like the page if you have not already done so and share it with anyone you know who own a gTablet or looking to get one.

Our goal is NOT to discourage people from buying the gTablet as more units sold translate to a bigger user base. If nothing else, the popularity (=sale figure) would be the one thing Viewsonic cannot ignore.

http://on.fb.me/gTabletOwners

I think the site is a nice idea, but I disagree with the goal. Although I've enjoyed my gTab and the work of the devs and mods, I'm not interested in having any of my friends buy a device that is not supported. I'm also not interested in helping Viewsonic or Nvidia increase their profits after months of withholding information and now finger pointing at each other.

In my opinion, the only thing that will get Viewsonic and Nvidia's attention is a few hundred or more people saying they will never again buy another product from Viewsonic or Nvidia and they will make sure to tell their friends to never buy from these manufacturers.

#39 gTabletOwnerUnite

gTabletOwnerUnite

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 04:59 AM

In my opinion, the only thing that will get Viewsonic and Nvidia's attention is a few hundred or more people saying they will never again buy another product from Viewsonic or Nvidia and they will make sure to tell their friends to never buy from these manufacturers.

ed1field, the way I see it, having the numbers on the Facebook page will send the same message. There are currently 340+ reply to Viewsonic post on the Facebook Discussion page. They are all saying the same thing but I'm not sure how much attention VS is paying to it. As I have previously paraphrase one of those reply, it's stuck away in a little corner of the web and not many people will see it. This Facebook page will be more visible.

Ideally, someone can setup a site/domain where we can gather a couple of hundred negative feedback on the product, while integrating Facebook, Twitter, Blog, forum etc.. for wider reach. The publicity that website could generate would probably be more effective than the Facebook page. I don't have the resource to do that. So until then, the Facebook page will have to do. We can always ask the people on the Facebook page to write their negative feedback when someone get around to make that website.

Since yesterday, our number has jump up to 71. A small number would be attribute to TabletRoms tweeting about the page.

#40 PhillyPhan

PhillyPhan

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:08 PM

Saw this review of the yet to be released Viewsonic 10pro running Android 2.3. If their newest product doesn't have HC what chance does the Gtab have?

http://www.pcworld.c...tdated_oss.html