Photo

Viewsonic Finally Responds To gTab Owners!

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 mikespe

mikespe

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:25 PM

I was just checking Twitter & I saw this tweet from Viewsonic:

gTablet users: We see your tweets and posts. Please visit our discussion on Facebook. http://on.fb.me/gtabsupport

Now I don't see anything written there yet but I think it might be a good start to open some dialogue with them. Here is the full Facebook link if the above one doesn't work: Veiwsonic Faceook

I know I've been replying to some of their Tweets when they ask what do their customer want from them...my reply was always "gTablet support!" LOL
Viewsonic gTab
1.2 Bootloader
Flashback Honeycomb

#2 BBowermaster

BBowermaster

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationWest Palm Beach, FL

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:34 PM

I was just checking Twitter & I saw this tweet from Viewsonic:

Now I don't see anything written there yet but I think it might be a good start to open some dialogue with them. Here is the full Facebook link if the above one doesn't work: Veiwsonic Faceook

I know I've been replying to some of their Tweets when they ask what do their customer want from them...my reply was always "gTablet support!" LOL

We're not going to get anywhere. That fluff piece was simply to blow us off. They basically told all their customers that they had, "unrealistic expectations." Don't worry, though, I know I'm not done spamming their Facebook comments, I'm sure others will continue to do the same.

Our hope is better placed in RaYmAn: 2.6.36 kernel!. This will bring hardware acceleration and allow our developers to really show their stuff.

Edited by BBowermaster, 20 July 2011 - 10:35 PM.

#3 johnny14794

johnny14794

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL., USA

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:04 AM

I've also left a piece of my mind at the Facebook thread. Though it's going to leave a bad mark on them as others see our threads. Thats the ticket LoL.

#4 mackinthebox

mackinthebox

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:05 AM

still not a single response from Viewsonic after their initial post, im still going to blast them on twitter

#5 drw1304

drw1304

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:03 PM

still not a single response from Viewsonic after their initial post, im still going to blast them on twitter

What would you expect other than silence? I thought the best analogy was comparison of not being able to upgrade from different windows versions to not being able to go further than 2.2 with the GTAB.
I for one.....wish I would have waited 2 months before I spent the same money to get mine. I could have a tab with 3.x and guess ability to get 4.x when it gets released soon. But VS seems it's ok to let me buy a disposal unit first then spent more to get there new tab that will be supported and upgradeable. ....yea right.

#6 mackinthebox

mackinthebox

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:06 PM

I dont mind having purchased the GTab
its been a good investment even with the lack of support from Viewsonic
HOWEVER that is only due to the AMAZING support of the Devs here and elsewhere!
I would be rather disappointed if I were still stuck with TapNTap...

I purchased the tablet knowing it was going to lack support from viewsonic, it was purchased as sort of an introductory to android tablets for me and it has served that purpose well

My next purchase will be a tablet running an OMAP processor, part of the problem with the GTab is the lack of support from NVidia as well...
  • ThinkDPr likes this

#7 c1tobor

c1tobor

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:15 AM

I also only purchased the Gtab because of the online support the community offers. Left a few comments on VS's facebook charade. <_<

#8 roebeet

roebeet

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:25 AM

I dropped my semi-nastygram in there. I've mentioned this before, but without vendor support it does limit us. I.e. most of the ROMs out there are based on vendor firmware (except cyanagenmod). So if they updated their stock, there could be a new version of Mountain Laurel, for example.

I am not happy with them at all - still can't believe that they haven't gotten a new firmware out yet and that 3588 is still technically the "latest".

Btw, I dropped this on the dev forums about 2 weeks back, but very busy with this work project, still. Trying to keep up with things here as best I can.

Edited by roebeet, 25 July 2011 - 10:26 AM.

Android Devices: Viewsonic GTab, Notion Ink Adam, ASUS Transformer, Cowon D3

#9 PhillyPhan

PhillyPhan

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:53 PM

I don't believe that Viewsonic has any intention to support the g-tablet. The fact that they were pulled from Staples and dumped on Woot shows that VS just wants to be rid of the g-tab. The only reason most of us bought them is because the hardware is good and there are great people sharing their hard work on Slatedroid. These days there are new tablets coming out everyday and I think VS is left in the dust. It's like having an old cellphone and wanting Verizon or ATT to upgrade it while they just want you to buy a new one. :angry:

#10 Citrusman

Citrusman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationWinter Haven, FL

Posted 26 July 2011 - 04:11 PM

This is what I wanted to do three months back and couldn't get it going but it is going well now. More folk from HERE need to get involved on both Tweeter and Facebook. I have added several messages on both sites with the main topic for me being to warn new buyers that ViewSonic does not support the G Tablet and never has so beware.

There is a babbler with a lot of nothing to say on Facebook that may be a ViewSonic plant. Need more good contributors now.
Ray/FL
Citrusman

#11 c1tobor

c1tobor

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:34 PM

Yeah...OKTABNYC is pretty funny. But I think the Gtab is great for the price after installing a custom ROM. I think it's a shame the device itself is getting a bad name because of VS's lack of support.

And Roebeet. You are why I kept this tablet. Have tried a bunch of others but BC Rom is what I'm back to. Thank-you for your work and would love to make a modest donation for your efforts.

Can anyone imagine if VS released the GTab with BC running?, The apples would have shrunk.

Edited by c1tobor, 26 July 2011 - 05:43 PM.

#12 Citrusman

Citrusman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:06 PM

Yeah...OKTABNYC is pretty funny. But I think the Gtab is great for the price after installing a custom ROM. I think it's a shame the device itself is getting a bad name because of VS's lack of support.

And Roebeet. You are why I kept this tablet. Have tried a bunch of others but BC Rom is what I'm back to. Thank-you for your work and would love to make a modest donation for your efforts.

Can anyone imagine if VS released the GTab with BC running?. The apples would have shrunk.

The G Tablet is not the target here and I have read very little that is negative regarding the G Tab but rather the fact that ViewSonic has never supported the G Tab. I have two G Tabs - one stock one with BC and it has all happened because of the efforts of Roebeet. If this negative but truthful effort changes ViewSonic's direction just some it may help us all. This is the only thing that may change the direction of ViewSonic. VS needs to do right by the buyers of the G Tab.

#13 Sm0k3d0uT

Sm0k3d0uT

The Hand That Smites

• Global Moderators
  • 652 posts
  • LocationNY/NJ

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:51 AM

I've been leaving my 2 cents on their BS discussion page

#14 nicholasblock

nicholasblock

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:31 PM

ViewSonic: We May Have Set Certain Unrealistic Expectations, But The gTablet Will Never Officially Get Honeycomb

#15 Intentionaltim

Intentionaltim

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationRound Rock TX

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:50 PM

Can anyone imagine if VS released the GTab with BC running?, The apples would have shrunk.

I did a fare amount research prior to purchasing my gtab. I feel I got good value for the price. I was not willing to shell out the $$$ for some of the other stuff on the market. With all the aftermarket option I have I'm good.
I'm such a newbie that I still have the wrapper on.

#16 KonRad

KonRad

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:58 AM

I did a fare amount research prior to purchasing my gtab. I feel I got good value for the price. I was not willing to shell out the $$$ for some of the other stuff on the market. With all the aftermarket option I have I'm good.

Have to agree with that. I did my research and jumped on the gTab Because the factory software was crap. Wanted to learn about Android, found Great community support for this tab and an OS (BC) that does everything I want to do... today. :)

Someday there will be a 3, 4, 5 or 6G tab in the house to get that beyond wifi experience but in the meantime I'm about as pleased as I can be with what I've got and how I got to where I am.

Ya, Honeycomb would be nice but BC works for me and will work for my wife when she gets the hand-me-down tab when the new one comes in the house. :)

#17 Citrusman

Citrusman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:39 AM

Have to agree with that. I did my research and jumped on the gTab Because the factory software was crap. Wanted to learn about Android, found Great community support for this tab and an OS (BC) that does everything I want to do... today. :)

Someday there will be a 3, 4, 5 or 6G tab in the house to get that beyond wifi experience but in the meantime I'm about as pleased as I can be with what I've got and how I got to where I am.

Ya, Honeycomb would be nice but BC works for me and will work for my wife when she gets the hand-me-down tab when the new one comes in the house. :)

Please don't completely miss the point of this effort. Many of use are happy with our G Tabs. I have two G Tabs I'm happy with. The point is we were and are being cheated by ViewSonic not supporting this ViewSonic G Tablet. If we can through this 'NOISE WE MAKE' cause ViewSonic to offer anything to advance the G Tablet beyond our capabilities we have an opening now to do so.

Please help advance our cause by adding to the Facebook forum on the lack of support of the G Tablet as well as a few Tweets.

In the first post by ViewSonic offering the G Tab buyers some facts and truth wrote this line of BS. 'We continue to stand by our product, which boasts excellent hardware specifications to this day.' The produce is the G Tablet. Please join the fuss with ViewSonic.

#18 Citrusman

Citrusman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:04 PM

Just notice that ALL of my posts have been deleted and I cannot post there today. No notice or warning just kicked out. ViewSAonic is watching and have a lot of pul at Facebook apparently.

#19 lateroid

lateroid

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:59 PM

seems that all big guys like viewsonic hire some dogs to watch on Facebook...

#20 tjevans

tjevans

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:07 PM

Just notice that ALL of my posts have been deleted and I cannot post there today. No notice or warning just kicked out. ViewSAonic is watching and have a lot of pul at Facebook apparently.

Same here, I had to "re-like" their page, but my comments are gone, including the discussion thread, I can no longer post. it's funny though, some posts show 18 comments, but when you count, there are only 14. The discussion thread has an insert where our comments were stating "comment deleted."

I'm also no longer allowed to follow them on Twitter, either. Guess I really became a thorn in their side.

Unfortunately, since they deleted my comments in the discussion, I guess I can no longer look forward to a response from them, like they promised.

So, point being, their view of good customer service is to ignore, then block, then ban the users that make the biggest noise.

Ah well...we can still do damage on review comments for ALL of their products on Amazon, etc...right?