#21 Spz0

Spz0

Advanced Shoe Gum Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Location..Look under your Shoe..

Posted 21 July 2011 - 01:38 PM

Really odd. I'll dig up my receipt and get an exchange. I'll report back on a separate thread so Im not railroading this one (sorry. :unsure: )

*edit: if I press firmly, then it seems to register a little more stable, but that shouldnt be...
I've even tested with the hood up (case cracked open) to see if it was the battery causing problems, but nada.
I _am_ use to a capacitive screen, which requires little pressure, but I've had multiple resistives before and never had to press this firmly to achieve stability in my screen. o.0

Just an update, and a couple of additions to add to the list Jonathan:
I just exchanged (for the 3rd time) my PDP because of this touchscreen issue. I _finally_ got a good one. Issues are solved (I still had to do my wifi re-wire mod).

Im not sure where you are having these assembled @ (China perhaps), but there needs to be some additional QC (quality control) on the assembly lines. The Wifi antenna needs to be re-wired as shown in my thread >HERE<. Also, the jumpy screen issue needs to be addressed. Im not sure if it happens in shipping, or assembly. If shipping, then it would be as easy as turning the PDP units so the screen faces into the box, instead of outfacing. If its an assembly issue, then thats a whole different matter. :)

One additional issue that I forgot to mention is that the touchscreen calibration utility that comes native to the OS Force Closes when you go to "Save and Exit?". It nerfs the calibration. Would be great if this could be addressed, because proper calibration is key to Tablets.

Thanks for listening. :)

Edited by Spz0, 21 July 2011 - 01:39 PM.

I will not answer requests for help on bricked devices. USE THE SEARCH! If you are confused by clearly written instructions, you shouldn't be hacking your tablet!!!!!

Posted Image
.......Devices.......
.Moto Droid X
LiquidICS

------------------------------------
.Samsung Vitality (Admire)
OpenAndroid ROM 2.3
Spz0's OC Kernel

.Kyocera M6000(zio)
Rooted2.2.1
OpenZio ROM 2.1.2
Adrynalyne OC

.Pandigital Planet 2.3.4 REFRESH
OpenPDP ROM 2.3.4-v2.1

...and many other devices.

>>Donate<< to my Marriage counseling fund. o.0

#22 Spz0

Spz0

Advanced Shoe Gum Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:04 PM

Jonathan:

I've been trying out different TScalibration utilities (ones that do not FC), as well as manually calibrating (creating "calibration.ini" on SDcard and internal space, then rebooting).
The screen is about 1/4" off in all directions.

If you install http://openzio.rtrne...Development.apk and use the pointer utility, you c an trace your pointer and see what Im talking about.

Hopefully I just don't have another bunked out PDP, because my patience is wearing thin if thats the case. lol Already returned 3 of them for various issues.

Anyone else care to test?
I will not answer requests for help on bricked devices. USE THE SEARCH! If you are confused by clearly written instructions, you shouldn't be hacking your tablet!!!!!

Posted Image
.......Devices.......
.Moto Droid X
LiquidICS

OpenAndroid ROM 2.3
Spz0's OC Kernel

.Kyocera M6000(zio)
Rooted2.2.1
OpenZio ROM 2.1.2
Adrynalyne OC

OpenPDP ROM 2.3.4-v2.1

#23 fewt

fewt

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:41 PM

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome to Slate Droid! I see that there are a lot of questions about the current product’s hardware/capabilities as well as potential future enhancements. Over the next few days I will do my best to address as many issues as I can officially. Please know that we don’t have a dedicated “forums” resource and so we’re working extra shifts to make this important link.

One question we want to address right away is in regards to the mini-USB and getting peripherals to work. This is an issue we are both passionate and frustrated about due to the various quality and abilities of adapters in the marketplace. We’ve purchased 5 different mini-USB male to USB female adapters from Amazon and only found 1 that worked (the others didn’t carry the full signal/power across). We’re re-ordering more to confirm our results however, the adapter which we believe to work across various peripherals can be found here:

http://www.amazon.co...11187567&sr=8-1

Thanks for all your input, it has been noted and passed along..much appreciated.

Confirmed. The adapter arrived today, and I plugged it in, and plugged my thumb drive into that, and it mounted.

Edit: It also worked with a keyboard, and a mouse, but not with both connected to a hub.

Thanks for the tip!

Edited by fewt, 22 July 2011 - 04:50 PM.

[ ~/Blog ] - [ Fuduntu ] - [ Fuduntu Forum ] - [ Jupiter ] - [ Aurora ]

#24 greenlaptops

greenlaptops

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationSLC Utah

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:56 PM

Confirmed. The adapter arrived today, and I plugged it in, and plugged my thumb drive into that, and it mounted.

Edit: It also worked with a keyboard, and a mouse, but not with both connected to a hub.

Thanks for the tip!

@fewt
If you have a USB Blue Tooth adapter can you please check it for me that if it can make this device Blue Tooth compatible through that USB adapter?
Thanks in advance.

GL

Edited by greenlaptops, 22 July 2011 - 04:57 PM.

#25 fewt

fewt

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:19 PM

@fewt
If you have a USB Blue Tooth adapter can you please check it for me that if it can make this device Blue Tooth compatible through that USB adapter?
Thanks in advance.

GL

I do have one that's known to be compatible with Linux. Unfortunately, it lights up but it is showing up as an input device to dmesg using the generic-usb driver.

Not hard to fix, but I'll have to dig in and see if the bluetooth driver is even compiled into this kernel.
[ ~/Blog ] - [ Fuduntu ] - [ Fuduntu Forum ] - [ Jupiter ] - [ Aurora ]

#26 greenlaptops

greenlaptops

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationSLC Utah

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:23 PM

I do have one that's known to be compatible with Linux. Unfortunately, it lights up but it is showing up as an input device to dmesg using the generic-usb driver.

Not hard to fix, but I'll have to dig in and see if the bluetooth driver is even compiled into this kernel.

That would be awesome if you can do that. I am crossing my fingers. Thanks again.

GL

#27 Spz0

Spz0

Advanced Shoe Gum Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:55 AM

Jonathan:
Does the Kernel "as-is" have init.d support?

Posted Image
.......Devices.......
.Moto Droid X
LiquidICS

OpenAndroid ROM 2.3
Spz0's OC Kernel

.Kyocera M6000(zio)
Rooted2.2.1
OpenZio ROM 2.1.2
Adrynalyne OC

OpenPDP ROM 2.3.4-v2.1

#28 Spz0

Spz0

Advanced Shoe Gum Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:21 PM

Jonathan:

We have some serious issues with the kernel drivers here, that need to be ticketed as "critical".

First being the touchscreen calibration utility. It does not work! It Force Closes! Leaving the touchscreen uncalibrated, and often not accurate out of the box. This needs to be fixed with the next update. I can't stress enough how important the touchscreen accuracy is on a tablet with no keyboard or mouse!
I have tried multiple different touch calibration utilities -- all have not calibrated the touchscreen. Its like the TS calibration values are stored somewhere different than where these apps are trying to write to? Not sure -- assumption. Also, if you test the multitouch, it also is not working correctly.. It should track your fingers wherever they are on the screen -- it does not -- it freezes in place, and only moves slightly (tested using the pointer loc. util in dev tools - but also can be tested with any MULTITOUCH TESTER. )
*edit: Upon reflashing the 07/06 ROM, the touchscreen Calibration does in fact work, and doesnt Force Close, But it does not change any values! I've purposely tried to mess up the calibration by pressing 1-2" away from each crosshair in an attempt to get a changed response from the touchscreen upon saving the calibration, and NOTHING CHANGES! So as stated above, Its like the TS calibration values are stored somewhere different than where these apps are trying to write to?
Please reference the following ongoing threads re: this issue:
http://www.slatedroi...n-need-testers/
http://www.slatedroi...sh-when-saving/

Second critical issue is the SDCard reading capabilities. There are certain access violations that occur when apps like "Galler3D.apk" and "Music.apk" try to access the sdcard to cache music/photos. It just does not happen, so the aforementioned applications treat that as "no files found". Keep in mind that this is an intermittent error; Meaning that sometimes the sdcard reads (super slow) and caches the data to the OS, but most times it just nerfs out, resulting in the apps not finding any relevant data.
This is also a crucial issue, as most end-users use your tablet as a music/video/picture database.
Im wondering (and I will do some testing myself) if the internal ROM is conflicting with the external SDcard? Perhaps trying to read them simultaneously? Im not sure -- all assumptions at this point, but regardless -- needs to be fixed.

I need to say, that this tablet is a GREAT tablet for the price! :) It just has a few crucial bugs that need to be worked out.

Would you please respond to my post in specific, so I(we) know that you have read these errors and have passed them onto your engineering staff?

Thanks!

:drinks:

Edited by Spz0, 25 July 2011 - 08:41 AM.

Posted Image
.......Devices.......
.Moto Droid X
LiquidICS

OpenAndroid ROM 2.3
Spz0's OC Kernel

.Kyocera M6000(zio)
Rooted2.2.1
OpenZio ROM 2.1.2
Adrynalyne OC

OpenPDP ROM 2.3.4-v2.1

#29 Spz0

Spz0

Advanced Shoe Gum Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:11 AM

Bump***

^^Please address prior post Jonathan.^^

Thanks

Posted Image
.......Devices.......
.Moto Droid X
LiquidICS

OpenAndroid ROM 2.3
Spz0's OC Kernel

.Kyocera M6000(zio)
Rooted2.2.1
OpenZio ROM 2.1.2
Adrynalyne OC

OpenPDP ROM 2.3.4-v2.1

#30 Mr_Ficticious

Mr_Ficticious

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:56 PM

Welcome Jonathan!

It's definitely refreshing to see that Pandigital is reaching out to customers.

Though it appears you're here for the primarily for the PD Planet, I'd still like voice another request for the "elusive" source code for this device (as well as the WPDN, BPDN & other Pandigital devices out here).

With all due respect- with my personal experiences with Pandigital, the BDPN & the WPDN, I had decided I would NOT be purchasing (or recommending) another device from Pandigital.
However, after first noticing your membership, now viewing this thread and your expression of interest in the community input, you've re-captured my attention (at least for the moment).

Thank you for "listening".

I'm glad you asked. i would love to see the source and see how much farther we can stretch the WPDN.
There are worse things to be addicted to than flashing ( your FW )

#31 Spz0

Spz0

Advanced Shoe Gum Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:49 AM

Jonathan:

We have some serious issues with the kernel drivers here, that need to be ticketed as "critical".

First being the touchscreen calibration utility. It does not work! It Force Closes! Leaving the touchscreen uncalibrated, and often not accurate out of the box. This needs to be fixed with the next update. I can't stress enough how important the touchscreen accuracy is on a tablet with no keyboard or mouse!
I have tried multiple different touch calibration utilities -- all have not calibrated the touchscreen. Its like the TS calibration values are stored somewhere different than where these apps are trying to write to? Not sure -- assumption. Also, if you test the multitouch, it also is not working correctly.. It should track your fingers wherever they are on the screen -- it does not -- it freezes in place, and only moves slightly (tested using the pointer loc. util in dev tools - but also can be tested with any MULTITOUCH TESTER. )
*edit: Upon reflashing the 07/06 ROM, the touchscreen Calibration does in fact work, and doesnt Force Close, But it does not change any values! I've purposely tried to mess up the calibration by pressing 1-2" away from each crosshair in an attempt to get a changed response from the touchscreen upon saving the calibration, and NOTHING CHANGES! So as stated above, Its like the TS calibration values are stored somewhere different than where these apps are trying to write to?
Please reference the following ongoing threads re: this issue:
http://www.slatedroi...n-need-testers/
http://www.slatedroi...sh-when-saving/

Second critical issue is the SDCard reading capabilities. There are certain access violations that occur when apps like "Galler3D.apk" and "Music.apk" try to access the sdcard to cache music/photos. It just does not happen, so the aforementioned applications treat that as "no files found". Keep in mind that this is an intermittent error; Meaning that sometimes the sdcard reads (super slow) and caches the data to the OS, but most times it just nerfs out, resulting in the apps not finding any relevant data.
This is also a crucial issue, as most end-users use your tablet as a music/video/picture database.
Im wondering (and I will do some testing myself) if the internal ROM is conflicting with the external SDcard? Perhaps trying to read them simultaneously? Im not sure -- all assumptions at this point, but regardless -- needs to be fixed.

I need to say, that this tablet is a GREAT tablet for the price! :) It just has a few crucial bugs that need to be worked out.

Would you please respond to my post in specific, so I(we) know that you have read these errors and have passed them onto your engineering staff?

Thanks!

:drinks:

Jonathan...

Jonathan...?

Posted Image
.......Devices.......
.Moto Droid X
LiquidICS

OpenAndroid ROM 2.3
Spz0's OC Kernel

.Kyocera M6000(zio)
Rooted2.2.1
OpenZio ROM 2.1.2
Adrynalyne OC

OpenPDP ROM 2.3.4-v2.1

#32 68guns

68guns

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:20 PM

Jonathan...

Jonathan...?

Spzzo....I got to believe Jonathan ain't going to be around anymore. After releasing a brand new device no way is he going to be around to help support the wpdn or planet. I bet you feel cheated. Thanks for your awesome work..Now go and exchange your planet for th nova and one up pandigital with another great rom.

Edited by 68guns, 01 August 2011 - 08:23 PM.

Gadgets:
Ipod 2nd gen 80gig
Nokia N800
WPDN (Kohls) Kewlguy SH20

#33 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:54 PM

The Nova is closed and attempts to root are not going well. Need spzo to get one quickly and see if he can crack it open!! The thing really is worth getting into!!

#34 redwizard6

redwizard6

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:37 PM

I'm just really feeling frustrated with Pandigital right now....the Planet comes out we adopt it and the come right over the top with a "new better faster bells and whistles" device that they should have held off releasing the Planet for. Oh well, looks like the planet is going up on ###########....right where it's little brother the novel went to finance the Planet. :angry:

#35 saviorxix

saviorxix

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:03 AM

Hi everyone!
Just recently bought a Pandigital Planet 7" from Kohls. I am running into a problem with the SD card slot...apparently the SanDisk 4GB microCD card I bought will not show up on the Planet. I have updated the firmware and formatted the SD card on my PC to FAT32...and still, the SD card will not show up when mounting. Any suggestions? should I go and get a Kingston SD card? Need some help. Thanks!

#36 drenner99

drenner99

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationRockford, IL

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:17 PM

Hi everyone!
Just recently bought a Pandigital Planet 7" from Kohls. I am running into a problem with the SD card slot...apparently the SanDisk 4GB microCD card I bought will not show up on the Planet. I have updated the firmware and formatted the SD card on my PC to FAT32...and still, the SD card will not show up when mounting. Any suggestions? should I go and get a Kingston SD card? Need some help. Thanks!

It has been reported in other threads that some have had problems with class 2 cards being recognized. Don't know if this is the case with your card, but if it is, you could try another card which is rated a higher class (= generally a little more expensive as class rating goes up.)

#37 Spz0

Spz0

Advanced Shoe Gum Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:36 PM

HEY JONATHAN!
Where in the F%$@ are you????????

Signed;
Mildly irritated Pandigital community......
  • mrsburnout likes this

Posted Image
.......Devices.......
.Moto Droid X
LiquidICS

OpenAndroid ROM 2.3
Spz0's OC Kernel

.Kyocera M6000(zio)
Rooted2.2.1
OpenZio ROM 2.1.2
Adrynalyne OC

OpenPDP ROM 2.3.4-v2.1

#38 nvrpayretail

nvrpayretail

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:00 PM

I think we scared Jonathan off.

#39 dark_angel

dark_angel

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:11 PM

Folks please do not bother Mr. Jonathan he is might be way too busy counting PD Planet returns received from Kohl's. Just wish him luck for his another achievement I mean NOVA, he might have to make lot of room for NOVA's return as well from BB in his warehouse. KARAMA will take care of him and his company.

I will wait till end of this week for any improvements and after that mine is going back to the store as well. Long relationship will end which starts from WPDN to BPDN to PD Planet. Matter of fact PD Planet is the worst item Pandigital had ever produced. Good luck Mr. Jonathan keep doing your extra shifts for great customer services.

Edited by dark_angel, 19 August 2011 - 10:12 AM.

#40 Spz0

Spz0

Advanced Shoe Gum Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:49 PM

0.o

Sent from my Samsung galaxy tab
Lol

Posted Image
.......Devices.......
.Moto Droid X
LiquidICS

OpenAndroid ROM 2.3
Spz0's OC Kernel

.Kyocera M6000(zio)
Rooted2.2.1
OpenZio ROM 2.1.2