• Please log in to reply
569 replies to this topic

#1 Peanut Butter Boy

Peanut Butter Boy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:18 AM

A lot of people (me included) recently purchased the Aishuo A816 8" MiniPad deal from SlickDeals and I'm sure many others have this device already or will be purchasing it soon (it's a pretty kickass device!). To be clear, this thread is for the single-point resistive screen and hardware key model pictured below. If you have "virtual keys" (built into the device), a capacitive screen (requires no pressure to select something) or the multi-point resistive model, then the information here may not apply to you so be careful! As usual, bricked devices aren't our fault either :nea:

Click here for the dedicated Aishuo A816 Wiki

This A816 is similar in many respects to the HeroTab M816, which is why it's now a sub-forum of the M816. According to this post, it's identical, but this is not correct. The Slatedroid Singularity custom ROM created by Roger Calver does not work on this tablet or at least we haven't gotten it to work yet since the ROM is different format. Besides, we've been able to implement almost all of the Singularity features manually - and ALL of that info is in the Wiki.

This thread is for requests for editor access to the wiki and corrections/additions to the wiki.

To all: PLEASE request editor access, I can't do this alone! Even if you have no technical expertise with the tablet you can still fix grammatical mistakes and find better ways of laying out the Wiki!

Here's a picture of the Aishuo A816 MiniPad in all it's glory:

Attached File  aishuo1.jpg   537.4KB   286 downloads

Edited by Peanut Butter Boy, 19 July 2012 - 09:35 AM.

• mrsburnout, r00t and cfb like this
My Wikis and Tablets: Aishuo A816 MiniPad Wiki & ZT-180 7" Wiki
Were my posts/wikis helpful? Donations accepted!

Posted Image

The Peanut Butter Boy

#2 CRK

CRK

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:38 PM

Hey PB im all signed up from SD :D
I am that guy!!

#3 mrkk

mrkk

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:15 PM

since the SD thread also had lot of info, linking it here

http://slickdeals.ne...d.php?t=3077393

#4 Mark Adams

Mark Adams

PDN Wiki Master, Speaker to n00bs

• Global Administrator
  • 2,338 posts
  • Location41.6927560 / -83.5456899

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:27 PM

Just thought I'd stick my head in here so everyone could have the link to PM me for wiki access. I'm only on sporadically lately, but I do get emailed if I have a PM and will try to sign folks up promptly.
  • mrsburnout and mrkk like this
Don't EVEN ask until you READ THE PDN WIKI *PM me for editing access.

There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.
~Thoreau

Posted Image

#5 signalsoldier

signalsoldier

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:39 PM

Fresh in from SD!

thanks for having me

#6 rc8461

rc8461

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:15 AM

I am not sure how much help I may provide, I am new to tweaking an Android. I got the epad last month and flashed the Rom on mine and a friends. I recently got an Aishuo A816 MiniPad, beautiful pad lotsa nice features, much more robust than the epad. My problem is I have a disability and cannot use the touchscreen, I assumed a mouse would work with it since the epad was able to, I figured it was a common android feature (told ya I'm a newb). Well, a mouse will NOT work on the Aishuo A816 MiniPad. I really wanta use this pad, it's driving me crazy seeing it sit there and can't use it :crazy:
If anyone has any thoughts ideas please share!

#7 Peanut Butter Boy

Peanut Butter Boy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:29 AM

Just thought I'd stick my head in here so everyone could have the link to PM me for wiki access. I'm only on sporadically lately, but I do get emailed if I have a PM and will try to sign folks up promptly.

Thanks Mark. Anyone that can contribute anything to the Wiki, please PM (private message) Mark up there. Why do I stress anything? Because I don't have nearly enough time to maintain this thing myself. I'm talking about everything from minor grammatical edits to shifting parts around so they make more sense, adding pictures, or typing up something that seems relatively simple (such as removing the second "screen protector" that comes installed on the device), because while it's easy and simple for you, a newbie won't know that. I've never created a Wiki before this so I had to learn the "code", but it's really easy, and now that it's there you can just copy/paste and learn quickly.

I am not sure how much help I may provide, I am new to tweaking an Android. I got the epad last month and flashed the Rom on mine and a friends. I recently got an Aishuo A816 MiniPad, beautiful pad lotsa nice features, much more robust than the epad. My problem is I have a disability and cannot use the touchscreen, I assumed a mouse would work with it since the epad was able to, I figured it was a common android feature (told ya I'm a newb). Well, a mouse will NOT work on the Aishuo A816 MiniPad. I really wanta use this pad, it's driving me crazy seeing it sit there and can't use it :crazy:
If anyone has any thoughts ideas please share!

I'm in the same boat. I got the ZT-180 from SlickDeals a few weeks back, so I'm even more of a newb than you. Never had Android or tablet experience before this yet I still made the entire Wiki myself! I'm not boasting, just saying that you'll catch on quick!

As for the mouse - Some people said it works as soon as you plug it in, others said it doesn't. I'll try it out today, see what I find. How's this: if I figure it out and get it working for you, you type it up for the Wiki? :good:

By the way, I've never seen that emoticon. Love it.

Posted Image

The Peanut Butter Boy

#8 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,292 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:52 AM

Thanks Mark. Anyone that can contribute anything to the Wiki, please PM (private message) Mark up there. Why do I stress anything? Because I don't have nearly enough time to maintain this thing myself. I'm talking about everything from minor grammatical edits to shifting parts around so they make more sense, adding pictures, or typing up something that seems relatively simple (such as removing the second "screen protector" that comes installed on the device), because while it's easy and simple for you, a newbie won't know that. I've never created a Wiki before this so I had to learn the "code", but it's really easy, and now that it's there you can just copy/paste and learn quickly.

@PeanutButterBoy

Excellent points and very nice work on the wiki. +1 Thank you.

@All

PBB is correct, adding to the wiki helps all of us. Everyone's contributions make SLD a great community.

I'm in the same boat. I got the ZT-180 from SlickDeals a few weeks back, so I'm even more of a newb than you. Never had Android or tablet experience before this yet I still made the entire Wiki myself! I'm not boasting, just saying that you'll catch on quick!

As for the mouse - Some people said it works as soon as you plug it in, others said it doesn't. I'll try it out today, see what I find. How's this: if I figure it out and get it working for you, you type it up for the Wiki? :good:

@PBB

We do have quite a few interesting smileys. :db: I am not sure which view you are using when you post, but while in the post editor:

http://www.slatedroi...ore&module=help

Posted Image - This menu will allow you to insert an emoticon into your post.

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary - Not even OEM FW is guaranteed "safe" to flash.

Hey! Newbies (n00bs) - Click the blue links ;) - Forum Rules

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." ~James Dean
"Slatedroid: Where all the advice is free, even advice you don't want." ~Mark Adams #113449
"Women are Angels. When someone breaks our wings - we simply continue to fly - on a broomstick. We are flexible like that."

Posted Image ~cheers

#9 Peanut Butter Boy

Peanut Butter Boy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:37 AM

@PeanutButterBoy

Excellent points and very nice work on the wiki. +1 Thank you.

@All

PBB is correct, adding to the wiki helps all of us. Everyone's contributions make SLD a great community.

@PBB

We do have quite a few interesting smileys. :db: I am not sure which view you are using when you post, but while in the post editor:

http://www.slatedroi...ore&module=help

Thank you very much MrsBurnOut :db: - I think I got it figured out 8)

Posted Image

The Peanut Butter Boy

#10 arentino

arentino

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:07 PM

Well, hello there... Nice with a dedicated thread.

Has anyone had an issue with Dolphin HD (set to Desktop mode) pulling up the mobile version of websites (www.nickjr.com being the culprit in my case). They of course does not have an option to switch to the regular site.

Have tried changing the User Agent back and forth a few times, shutting down in between, and it is still redirecting to m.nickjr.com.

Ideas?

#11 raul_sensi

raul_sensi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:37 PM

Thanks PBB for all your work with this tablet. Hopefully we can get some info soon. Although I'm limited, I'll add my 2 cents when possible.

In case Roger C stops by, most of the issues we are having seem eerily similar to the ones ftanl listed in his thread. This is probably common knowledge, but I thought I would mention it. (I can't link b/c of "new user" status, but a search for A816 will provide the thread).

Looking forward to hanging around, this is a great resource for (an)droid users!

#12 CRK

CRK

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:55 PM

Here is a link to the latest android market place

Just click on the text above and it will take you to a download site

from there click on download now

I just installed this on my new tablet and it is A HOLE LOT BETTER then the old style DROID Market Place :good:
I am that guy!!

#13 cfb

cfb

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:57 PM

Attached File  IMG_20110714_144545.jpg   864.97KB   107 downloads
Its REALLY easy to open this up. On the end where the ports are, get a fingernail in the seam and tug a little, start moving your nail down the long side and get more of your fingernails in there and start gently pulling and the back will come off. On the cover (not the unit) there are four plastic posts one near each corner and little plastic tabs all around that snap in and out of the case.

SD card is easily accessible, able to jiggle the camera around if its not properly lined up, speaker connection is easy to reconnect if its been knocked off, replace the battery, etc.

I see why there are the 'raindrop' effects on the screen when you push on it. The circuit board is stuck to the back of the screen with nothing other than some thin clear plastic separating it from the screen back, pretty much just short protection. I might get brave and try to slide a thin piece of something under there to reduce contact.

I think if you pulled the back off 20 times, you might break a tab or two or they might lose their snap. But 5-6 times shouldnt be any problem.

#14 Peanut Butter Boy

Peanut Butter Boy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:09 PM

Well, hello there... Nice with a dedicated thread.

Has anyone had an issue with Dolphin HD (set to Desktop mode) pulling up the mobile version of websites (www.nickjr.com being the culprit in my case). They of course does not have an option to switch to the regular site.

Have tried changing the User Agent back and forth a few times, shutting down in between, and it is still redirecting to m.nickjr.com.

Ideas?

I was going to suggest changing the user agent. 3 things: 1. Have you tried the built-in browser? 2. Have you downloaded Skyfire browser from the Market and tried that? 3. Have you searched for a link on the nickjr.com site to "view full site"?

Thanks PBB for all your work with this tablet. Hopefully we can get some info soon. Although I'm limited, I'll add my 2 cents when possible.

In case Roger C stops by, most of the issues we are having seem eerily similar to the ones ftanl listed in his thread. This is probably common knowledge, but I thought I would mention it. (I can't link b/c of "new user" status, but a search for A816 will provide the thread).

Looking forward to hanging around, this is a great resource for (an)droid users!

This is the thread I believe you're referring to: http://www.slatedroi...0-12ghz-tablet/

Yea, I figured as long as we all band together and start a community, each person can contribute a little here and a little there to get this thing up and running smoothly. Considering the price point, this tablet has incredible potential!

Here is a link to the latest android market place

Just click on the text above and it will take you to a download site

from there click on download now

I just installed this on my new tablet and it is A HOLE LOT BETTER then the old style DROID Market Place :good:

Nice. It's THAT much of a difference? I'll be doing this later....

Attached File  IMG_20110714_144545.jpg   864.97KB   107 downloads
Its REALLY easy to open this up. On the end where the ports are, get a fingernail in the seam and tug a little, start moving your nail down the long side and get more of your fingernails in there and start gently pulling and the back will come off. On the cover (not the unit) there are four plastic posts one near each corner and little plastic tabs all around that snap in and out of the case.

SD card is easily accessible, able to jiggle the camera around if its not properly lined up, speaker connection is easy to reconnect if its been knocked off, replace the battery, etc.

I see why there are the 'raindrop' effects on the screen when you push on it. The circuit board is stuck to the back of the screen with nothing other than some thin clear plastic separating it from the screen back, pretty much just short protection. I might get brave and try to slide a thin piece of something under there to reduce contact.

I think if you pulled the back off 20 times, you might break a tab or two or they might lose their snap. But 5-6 times shouldnt be any problem.

Dude. Fantastic work! Any more pics to add to the collection? Want to add it to the Wiki?

My first mod would be to add something thin to reduce the raindrop effect. Mine has an annoying arc-shaped spot that always raindrops, regardless of where I press and it sometimes messes up my finger-press. I doubt paper would work but something like a piece from a cereal box might, since it's fairly thin but also has a LITTLE give for some cushioning. If you attempt, please report your findings!

Welcome all!

Posted Image

The Peanut Butter Boy

#15 CRK

CRK

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:08 PM

Yep the new market place is the bomb! It has not even "O-fish-eely" opened/released yet 8)

So my question is can we pop out the internal sd card copy all contents of said sd card to a bigger card, say 32G and reinstall and have even more internal memory?
I am that guy!!

#16 rc8461

rc8461

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:45 PM

Thanks for the kind words. You did a great job on the Wiki and having a forum here prevents us from the Droid pad haters and posts about shipping time/ifo on the SD forum :) Maybe the original OP will stop by here, he's full of good info and seems to be genuinely nice guy. Anyways, thanks for setting this up.

As soon as there's a new ROM that's confirmed not to brick my pad, I'm going for it, I gotta try anything to get a mouse to work so I can use this thing :aggressive:

#17 Peanut Butter Boy

Peanut Butter Boy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:52 PM

Yep the new market place is the bomb! It has not even "O-fish-eely" opened/released yet 8)

So my question is can we pop out the internal sd card copy all contents of said sd card to a bigger card, say 32G and reinstall and have even more internal memory?

I don't see why not. This guy has already successfully rooted the tablet by taking out the sd card and placing the necessary files in their location. I don't see why this can't be done with a larger card!

Thanks for the kind words. You did a great job on the Wiki and having a forum here prevents us from the Droid pad haters and posts about shipping time/ifo on the SD forum :) Maybe the original OP will stop by here, he's full of good info and seems to be genuinely nice guy. Anyways, thanks for setting this up.

As soon as there's a new ROM that's confirmed not to brick my pad, I'm going for it, I gotta try anything to get a mouse to work so I can use this thing :aggressive:

Oh man, I was SO sick of those people complaining about shipping time/info. Thankfully they probably won't show up here until they have one =).

Yea I like EVO-IC but I think he really disappeared. I'll msg him again, see what's goin on.

By the way, I tried 3 difference mice - 2 USB and 1 Wireless. All of them did the same thing that yours probably did: when you move the mouse it just highlights different boxes, but no cursor. The buttons work though!

Edited by Peanut Butter Boy, 14 July 2011 - 06:58 PM.

Posted Image

The Peanut Butter Boy

#18 rc8461

rc8461

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:48 PM

Oh man, I was SO sick of those people complaining about shipping time/info. Thankfully they probably won't show up here until they have one =).

Yea I like EVO-IC but I think he really disappeared. I'll msg him again, see what's goin on.

By the way, I tried 3 difference mice - 2 USB and 1 Wireless. All of them did the same thing that yours probably did: when you move the mouse it just highlights different boxes, but no cursor. The buttons work though!

Yep that's what mine does :( Someone on SD Said similar. Thanks for giving it a try. I read some where that it's reacting like a trackball was connected, but trackballs show a cursor. The epad used a mouse just like a PC does, strange :unknw: I'm going to shut up about the mouse thing for a bit, probably boring everyone to :cray:

#19 raul_sensi

raul_sensi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:34 PM

Okay fellas, was able to get this rooted (as many others), by pulling the sdcard out of the device. As requested by CRK, was also able to increase the internal storage by replacing the 4GB card with a 16GB. A word of caution I used gparted in xubuntu, this program can do heavy damage if the user cannot identify the correct drives. You've been warned.

1. What you want to do is make an image of your drive. To identify it, you can open up gparted and pull down the menu on the upper right side. You want to record/remember the 4 GB volume with between 2-4 partitions.

2. Now you want to make your backup image. Close out gparted and go into terminal. You will need su/root privileges.

So for ubuntu you would type in terminal: (other linux systems "su")

sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=/opt/backup_sdb.img

*Where /dev/sdb is your sdcard

3. After your image is copied, Open up your largest partition folder (usually between 3.1 - 3.4 GB)
4. Copy ALL files and directories to a folder of your choice (including hidden files)
5. Unmount/Eject ALL partitions.
6. Place a formatted 16GB (or whatever) into your computer. Identify this drive again by using gparted (as in #1)
7. Restore the 4 GB image onto the new card by entering the following in terminal (assuming you are using Ubuntu)

sudo dd if=/opt/backup_sdb.img of=/dev/sdb

*Where /dev/sdb is your sdcard

8. After your image is copied, unmount/eject all partiions or volume.
9. Re-Insert sdcard, open gparted.
10. Expand Your Largest Partition.
10. Delete the largest partition (between 3.1 - 3.4 GB) and unallocated space
11. Create a New Partition using Fat32
12. Copy over the files from step 4 to THIS new partition.
11. Unmount/Eject and Enjoy your extra space.

==============================================================================================

It has been pretty exhausting doing all this research for this device. Again, thanks to PBB and others...I would have chimed in earlier, but wasn't really sure of myself.

Edited by raul_sensi, 19 July 2011 - 01:18 PM.

• r00t likes this

#20 raul_sensi

raul_sensi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:46 PM

This is the thread I believe you're referring to: http://www.slatedroi...0-12ghz-tablet/

Yup, that's it!!!