• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 wendal

wendal

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:30 PM

This is a tool to pack/unpack RK2918 image file, which use by Teclast T760 , Cube U10GT, Yuandao N10

Usage:
1. Download the tool and unzip into a folder
2. copy the image file into this folder,and rename to wendal.img
3. double click Runme.bat ,and following the guide

Note:
1. Close your anti-virus software first!!
2. The tool may report that some file is skip. It is OK, 4 files in 2.0.3 official fireware ,and 2 files in official fireware. We had tested, those files just garbage.
3. Image file pack by this tool, when upgrade or restore by official upgrade tools, MAYBE report "Upgrade fail" or "Restore fail", Ignore it ,and reset T760, then power on.

This tools is under "Apache License 2.0", so you can modify it ,republish it as you want , BUT Pls keep my info, thank you.

This tools's source is host in https://github.com/w...l/teclast_tools

Download URL : https://docs.google....jRjZjFmODdiZTQ1

Thanks,
Wendal Chen
  • Miss Dragon , Logseman, Lar3s and 1 other like this

#2 Miss Dragon

Miss Dragon

Dragon Lady

• PipPipPip
  • 6,470 posts
  • LocationDragonDevs

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:39 PM

This is a tool to pack/unpack RK2918 image file, which use by Teclast T760 , Cube U10GT, Yuandao N10

Usage:

Note:
2. The tool may report that some file is skip. It is OK, 4 files in 2.0.3 official fireware ,and 2 files in official fireware. We had tested, those files just garbage.
3. Image file pack by this tool, when upgrade or restore by official upgrade tools, MAYBE report "Upgrade fail" or "Restore fail", Ignore it ,and reset T760, then power on.

This tools is under "Apache License 2.0", so you can modify it ,republish it as you want , BUT Pls keep my info, thank you.

Thanks,
Wendal Chen

Thanks wendel, you have saved my job. +1 thank you. Posted Image

One correction for Yuandao N10, it's window N10 as most foreigner recognition.
Places can find me:

HERE

#3 Aino

Aino

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:35 PM

Glad to see you here in slatedroid Wendal, I'm using your tools since 1.1 and your kit that includes the partition modifier and boot extractor, made my own english version but never disclosed until I could get your approval (but my chinese is almost zero :pardon: )

#4 wendal

wendal

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:22 AM

Glad to see you here in slatedroid Wendal, I'm using your tools since 1.1 and your kit that includes the partition modifier and boot extractor, made my own english version but never disclosed until I could get your approval (but my chinese is almost zero :pardon: )

Enjoy youself.

So, no need for my approval :drinks:

#5 Aiah

Aiah

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:37 AM

Manny thanx,

I managed to root my fview pro 7" with these tools.

#6 Aiah

Aiah

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:17 AM

using the firmwaretool it extracts

boot.img
kernel.img
misc.img
recovery.img
system.img (system img is a cramfs filesystem)

boot.img and recovery.img are cpio initrd files encapsulated in a head and a footer...

contents of boot.img
bytes 0..3 KNRL (header)
bytes 4..7 size of initrd data (header)
bytes 8..# initrd data
bytes #+1..#+4 4bytes check code (footer)

Does anyone know how to calculate the footer value ?

filling own request:
rkcrc tool from https://sites.google...let/apad-irobot seems to work.

Edited by Aiah, 17 August 2011 - 09:11 AM.

#7 Aino

Aino

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:35 PM

Aiah, did you successful flashed a custom boot.img with that calculated footer?

#8 Aiah

Aiah

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:14 AM

Aiah, did you successful flashed a custom boot.img with that calculated footer?

Note in advance, i'm not using a teclast brand tablet but an fview 7" (also rk29xx based)
- the wendal firmware firmware tools for splitting / rejoining / changeing system.img worked

Before i was going to change the boot.img i wanted to known if recreating an idendical boot.img was possible.
what i did to check was:
- strip header and footer from boot.img, that gave me a gzipped initrd file
- exstract the the initrd (with was a cpio)
- change nothing
- build a new initrd (with cpio and gzip)
- use rkcrc -p to recreate boot.img
with a small change to rkcrc (changing the header from PART to KNRL)
The new boot.img and the original boot.img are idendical

I made some trivial changes to the root fs (boot.img) and to system/etc (system.img)
and rebuilt het into a firmwware image (using wendal rk2918 tools and rkcrc).
The customised firmware and booted successfull

Edited by Aiah, 20 August 2011 - 12:29 PM.

#9 Aiah

Aiah

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:19 AM

Usage:

Note:

Thanks,
Wendal Chen

I tried to unpack a P71 rom i found somewhere on the www.teclast.com bbs board. [teclast-P71-V2.08-026F.rar]

Your tools unpack the firmware.img
but fails to extract the system.img cramfs [cramfsck: bad root offset (0)]
The file header does look like a valid cramfs

Any idea's. on how to unpack (and repack) this cramfs type ?

#10 Aino

Aino

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:12 AM

I made some trivial changes to the root fs (boot.img) and to system/etc (system.img)
and rebuilt het into a firmwware image (using wendal rk2918 tools and rkcrc).
The customised firmware and booted successfull

Great! then I will try to make some changes to the boot img, thanks Aiah

#11 slimthumb

slimthumb

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:48 AM

Can you tell me if this tool can change the ROM into read/write (r/w)? Thanks.

#12 Aino

Aino

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:51 PM

Unfortunatelly, the ro of the system partition is because the file system used by rockchip (cramfs), that is a compressed read only file system.

With the wendal tools you can open and modify the system files in a PC and then flash the rom to the t760.

#13 slimthumb

slimthumb

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:19 AM

Thanks Aino.

Can I use this tool to remove system apps before repacking it?

After using the tool to make a rooted ROM, will root work on third-party apps I install from Market eg. a simple app like clocksync that requires root to adjust the system time, or minfreemanager that changes the system settings of free RAM levels?

#14 Aino

Aino

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:30 PM

Can I use this tool to remove system apps before repacking it?

Yes you can remove the apps from system that you don't want (just be careful with critical apps)

After using the tool to make a rooted ROM, will root work on third-party apps I install from Market eg. a simple app like clocksync that requires root to adjust the system time, or minfreemanager that changes the system settings of free RAM levels?

I think many will work and some not, I've tried Titanium backup, DB Browser, Absolute System (all of them requires root access) and all worked well, I think just those that need to write something especifically in /system will not work

Unfortunatelly, the ro of the system partition is because the file system used by rockchip (cramfs), that is a compressed read only file system.

Forget my last statement, our good friend Wendal made it again and figured out how to get system rw by loading it in data partition. There are still some bugs and requires a little more steps than just flashing but now is possible :yahoo:

Edited by Aino, 08 September 2011 - 09:31 PM.

#15 slimthumb

slimthumb

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:36 AM

Yes you can remove the apps from system that you don't want (just be careful with critical apps)

Great. I am considering buying a Cube U8GT and it will be useful if I can remove some of the useless OEM apps.

I have never seen any posting of "how to remove system apps using the Wendal RK29xx tool". If you know the "how to", can you please post it?

I think many will work and some not, I've tried Titanium backup, DB Browser, Absolute System (all of them requires root access) and all worked well, I think just those that need to write something specifically in /system will not work.

Glad to hear that at least many apps that require root would work. I guess it is trial and error.

Forget my last statement, our good friend Wendal made it again and figured out how to get system rw by loading it in data partition. There are still some bugs and requires a little more steps than just flashing but now is possible :yahoo:

I have an Archos 70 on which I installed the UrukDroid custom ROM from Sauron. Not until now did I do some research and realize that the Archos Gen 8 devices also use cramfs. Although UrukDroid is rooted, I notice I also face the same "no r/w" problem when I use some of the rooted apps - eg. using "freeze app" function of root uninstaller (same as the freeze app function on titanium backup pro) on the system apps gives me an error message saying "your system is read only".

I notice UrukDroid runs the Archos 70 (OMAP3630) much faster and smoother, because it uses ext4 file system. You are probably correct to say in an another post that changing the file system away from cramfs can improve performance. The Archos 70 (8 GB version) is a really nice device with the UrukDroid, but there is just too little RAM (256MB) and it freezes frequently eg. with flash video player in the browser and some simple games.

I know UrukDroid requires an external microSD card for the ROM to work. Without linux (or much of any other computing) knowledge, I wonder if this is for the same reason "to get system rw by loading it in data partition", using the external SD card as a separate data partition? I know from reading the UrukDroid development that Sauron does not recommend "installing" the ROM in the internal NAND.

Edited by slimthumb, 09 September 2011 - 08:45 AM.

#16 joalt

joalt

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 03:41 AM

Usage:

Note:

Thanks,
Wendal Chen

I'm having a problem with using the upgrade which I am sure is down to my inexperience. I can download the upgrade tool and the image file OK. Then you say "unzip into a folder" Where is this folder to be located? On my PC or on the T760? Does it have to be in a special location? I've tried a number of options and none of them work. I can run the .bat file and I choose option 1 to unpack. All of this works but at the end of the it I get presented with options 1 unpack, 2 pack, 3 exit. I choose 3 exit but this leaves the files unpacked and nothing on changed on the T760. I know that I'm doing something stupid, but don't know what it is. I've looked around for instructions on using Wendal's tool but I cannot find anything that helps
Thanks
joalt

#17 Aiah

Aiah

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 09:31 AM

Can you tell me if this tool can change the ROM into read/write (r/w)? Thanks.

NO, The tool itself cant

Reason:
The wendal tools themself only split the firmware, then add root access to system.img, and repacks the parts into a new firmware file.

To make /system writeble you will have to do a lot of manual modifying

(incompleete list)
- unpack the system.img (witch is a cramfs filesystem)
- check what other filesystem are supported by your kernel
p.s. the fview-7"pro tablet only has ext3 and yaff2 and cramfs
- create a dummy file of about 200Mb using dd (call system.img)
- create a ext3 filesystem on that system.img and mount it
- copy all the files from the unpacked cramfs to the ext3 filesystem
- unmount the system.img it
- then you have to extract boot.img (its a gziped cpio with an additional header and crcsum footer)
- change the init.rc to use ext3 instead of cramfs for the system.img partition
- rebuilt the boot.img (using rkcrc tools)

P.S. any small mistake in modifying init.rc icw ext3 system.img will have your system faling to boot
rebuild the total into a firmware.

I managed to do it, but went back to cramfs
- the ext3 fs is rather slow
- any system crashes or incorrect powerdowns (like out of power) make the ext3 fs unreadable, init.rc doe not have any fsck to fix errors.
- overall ext3 usage seems rather unstable (p.s. this might be because i did it wrong)

#18 jkpjj

jkpjj

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:02 AM

Thank you! A note to possible other Linux users - I succesfully used the unpack function on a Linux system (Ubuntu 11.04) by changing

os.execute('AFPTool.exe -unpack update.img Temp\\')

to

os.execute('wine AFPTool.exe -unpack update.img Temp\\')

(and commenting out the cramfs extraction stuff, as I can just loop mount the system.img if I want to look at it)

Probably only rk29xx_rom_tools.lua, BYTE.lua and AFPTools.exe are needed for Linux (and rk29xx* could be simplified), the rest appears to be pretty much just glue to get lua & cramfs stuff & unix-like stuff like chmod to Windows.

I didn't try image creation yet.

#19 lomui

lomui

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:36 PM

Hi,

I wonder after extracting the system.img into the temp folder, is it possible to embed ChainFire3d into it and then pack it up so that the firmware will have ChainFire3d build-in. For my understanding, normally, it is not possible to install ChainFire3D for RK2918 tablet because it requires writing to the system folder, so I'm hoping there is a way get around the limitation.

Currently, I'm using U10GT.

Thanks,
Lomui

#20 fun_

fun_

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:51 AM

Before i was going to change the boot.img i wanted to known if recreating an idendical boot.img was possible.
what i did to check was:
- strip header and footer from boot.img, that gave me a gzipped initrd file
- exstract the the initrd (with was a cpio)
- change nothing
- build a new initrd (with cpio and gzip)
- use rkcrc -p to recreate boot.img
with a small change to rkcrc (changing the header from PART to KNRL)
The new boot.img and the original boot.img are idendical

oops. sorry, I made updated rkcrc which has -k option for KRNL image several months ago :)
I'll upload latest one on androtab.info.
  • Pavel_NL likes this
http://androtab.info/

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users