Photo

[How to:] Internal Mod = Better Wifi Reception + Better Touchscreen Response!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 fonejac

fonejac

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:07 PM

I have the EXACT SAME CONFIGURATION/ HARDWARE. However, I WAS able to do this. It involved using small snips, cutting down the WiFi (copper?) module just a bit on the end, so as not to interfere with either the plastic power lense,or the camera. When attempting to close, I then discovered that if the WiFi module comes into contact with the on board POWER/ CHARGING module/ input, the WiFi metal module will interrupt the charging, and not work. To fix THIS, I placed a small piece (1/2") of electrical tape over the POWER/ CHARGING module input to disable any metal contact. It was worth it. Took me 20 min, and my signal is BETTER, even though I snipped the tiny end off the WiFi module. You can MAKE it fit! Now my screen does not ripple, and WiFi response is much improved. Hope this helps!

Just cracked the back of my Planet 7 with 2.2.4... kernel 2.6.34. Yes, the copper wi-fi antenna is fastened to the screen side of the case with double sided adhesive, and the wire is taped across the back of the screen to the PCB and yes, it will not fit in location as suggested above due to the SD card slot was in the way. I moved my antenna wire from the back of the screen and re-fastened the antenna module with its original adhesive to the opposite side just above the battery and applied double sided tape to the antenna wire to keep it attached to the case back and not the screen back. There is plenty of space in that area. When the case is closed the battery is in the same position to the antenna as it was originally, but the wire is no longer attached to the back of the screen. I cannot see any loss of wi-fi signal but a great improvement on touch screen operation. I apologize for the lack of pictures... I just plain FORGOT! In addition my charger plug did not fit securely in the female socket so I verrrry gently increased the tension on the "barrel" contact of the charging receptacle. Now it is charging as it should, the red light stays on until it reaches 100%.

#22 ezlife

ezlife

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:17 PM

I did it, wifi signal improves but I still have small ripple in the middle of the screen.
Thumps up to you.

#23 wrclvr

wrclvr

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

I will have to try this mod...my touch screen doesnt respond very well at times and better reception would be great.

Thx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users