Photo

[How to:] Internal Mod = Better Wifi Reception + Better Touchscreen Response!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Spz0

Spz0

Advanced Shoe Gum Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Location..Look under your Shoe..

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:10 PM

PLEASE note that this mod is only for the pdp 2.2.1

Hey.

I've noticed (as have all you Im sure) that the wifi reception isnt the greatest.
I've also noticed (as have all of you) that there is something fishy going on with the responsiveness of the touchscreen.
Want to fix both?

Heres how.

Here is a pic of the internals of the PDP:
Posted Image

As you can see, the Wifi module is on the far left side of the screen, with the wire connecting it to the board taped right across the backside of the touchscreen.
Oooooh Nooooooo!!!!
In its current state, if you press on the sides of the PDP's cover, you can see the stress points in the touchscreen (you'll see a ripple effect across the length of where the wire sits behind the screen). This is causing touchscreen inaccuracy issues. And where the wifi antenna is placed, it is causing wifi issues (being that this area is where you are most likely holding the PDP with in portrait mode), as well as the battery causing wifi interference (being that the wifi module is within an inch of the battery).

So here's what I did.
I un-taped the wire from the backside of the screen, and rewired it as shown in the pic below:
Posted Image

I also removed the double stick foam tape from the module and replaced it with some 3M clear double stick tape (it is thinner, allowing for less interference, and also to sit more flush against the unit [as you will be taping the wifi module pretty close to where the USB slot is]). (seen in pic below)!!!.

Some things to note:
  • TAKE YOUR TIME and do it RIGHT! You are dealing with thin wires/ribbons here, so any slip up and you could pinch/snap a wire rendering your PDP useless.
  • As you open up the case SLOWLY, TAKE NOTE of the way the wires are laid inside the case!!! It is extremely important to note this for re-assembly!!!
  • Make sure you feed the wifi wire underneath the ribbon connecting the LCD screen to the circuit board (indicated by the dotted green line in above pic).
  • For added security, also feed the wire beneath the small black and red wire located in the top left of the unit (there is a clip that holds the LCD screen in place that I slid the wire under just a touch to hold it in place).
  • After the wifi module is secured, make sure the wifi wire that runs in behind the LCD ribbon cable is tucked under the circuit board (if not, you'll have a hard time closing it back up). Seen in pic below.
  • Stick a small piece of tape across the braided part of the wire closest to the module itself (this will insulate the wire against shorting out by accidentally touching another exposed piece of the board).
  • Secure the wire running along the top side of the PDP with the tape (as shown in pic below, using provided yellow tape). Keep in mind that you will be taping a small 1/4" section of wire to the top most portion of the lcd screen because there is a piece of black plastic case preventing you from being able to string it above the screen (you can notch out a piece of the plastic to fit the wire if you like, but BE CAREFUL).
  • Make sure there are no wires being pinched upon closing the device!!!!!!!! (there is a smaller lcd ribbon behind the larger lcd ribbon so BE CAREFUL!!!)
  • Upon snapping the device closed, you should NOT have any bulges. A bulge indicates a wire that is being pinched the wrong way, or overlapping the snap point between top and bottom layers of the case -- RE-ADJUST the wires so they lay exactly the way they were when you cracked the case open!!
  • Once the case is snapped back shut, insert/tighten the screws, and turn your PDP on to make sure you didnt brick it (lol).
If all is good, you should notice improved wifi reception, and improved touchscreen responsiveness!

Posted Image

I hope this helps. :)

Cheers!

Edited by Spz0, 24 December 2011 - 10:01 PM.

• PharmacyDoc and fewt like this
I will not answer requests for help on bricked devices. USE THE SEARCH! If you are confused by clearly written instructions, you shouldn't be hacking your tablet!!!!!

Posted Image
.......Devices.......
.Moto Droid X
LiquidICS

------------------------------------
.Samsung Vitality (Admire)
OpenAndroid ROM 2.3
Spz0's OC Kernel

.Kyocera M6000(zio)
Rooted2.2.1
OpenZio ROM 2.1.2
Adrynalyne OC

.Pandigital Planet 2.3.4 REFRESH
OpenPDP ROM 2.3.4-v2.1

...and many other devices.

>>Donate<< to my Marriage counseling fund. o.0

#2 nvrpayretail

nvrpayretail

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:33 PM

Great writeup. Many thanks.

One quick question, how does one separate the back from the unit? You said 'snap it closed', so does that mean we just need to wedge something into the seam and pry it open? Any hints/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#3 Spz0

Spz0

Advanced Shoe Gum Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:36 PM

Yes. I have a precision screwdriver set that I use. I take the smallest flathead, and wedge it inbetween the front and back and rotate the flathead 90 degrees to pop each fastener apart.
For the record, there are 2 fasteners on the left/right side of the unit, and one fastener on the top and bottom.
The plastic is a touch softer than the WPDN, so be careful when prying. :)

edit: guess I need to mention the fact that there are 4 screws to take off as well. Just pop out (with a precision screwdriver) the little round rubber gromits from the screw holes (located on the backside of the device), and unscrew with a Philips screwdriver.

Edited by Spz0, 09 July 2011 - 07:40 PM.

I will not answer requests for help on bricked devices. USE THE SEARCH! If you are confused by clearly written instructions, you shouldn't be hacking your tablet!!!!!

Posted Image
.......Devices.......
.Moto Droid X
LiquidICS

OpenAndroid ROM 2.3
Spz0's OC Kernel

.Kyocera M6000(zio)
Rooted2.2.1
OpenZio ROM 2.1.2
Adrynalyne OC

OpenPDP ROM 2.3.4-v2.1

#4 fewt

fewt

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:10 AM

+1 - Worked great. I had originally moved it below the Android keys but this is indeed a better location.
[ ~/Blog ] - [ Fuduntu ] - [ Fuduntu Forum ] - [ Jupiter ] - [ Aurora ]

#5 Spz0

Spz0

Advanced Shoe Gum Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:10 AM

Great :)

I gotta stress the use of that 3M double stick tape. I really think the foam tape they use causes interference (as there will be better reception on the front side of the antenna, and not-so-good reception on the backside), because I had the antenna there to begin with using the foam tape -- when I switched to the 3M tape, my reception improved dB-wise. But more-so, if the foam tape is used, the antenna is mashed up against the USB slot, creating a potential short-out hazard.

Posted Image
http://www.truevalue...uct&cid=gooshop

Edited by Spz0, 10 July 2011 - 09:13 AM.

• fewt likes this

Posted Image
.......Devices.......
.Moto Droid X
LiquidICS

OpenAndroid ROM 2.3
Spz0's OC Kernel

.Kyocera M6000(zio)
Rooted2.2.1
OpenZio ROM 2.1.2
Adrynalyne OC

OpenPDP ROM 2.3.4-v2.1

#6 redwizard6

redwizard6

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:36 PM

Is there enough slack in that LCD ribbon to slide the WIFI module under it without unplugging it?

#7 Spz0

Spz0

Advanced Shoe Gum Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:39 PM

Yes there is enough room. Just be careful of the smaller ribbon underneath the larger one.

Posted Image
.......Devices.......
.Moto Droid X
LiquidICS

OpenAndroid ROM 2.3
Spz0's OC Kernel

.Kyocera M6000(zio)
Rooted2.2.1
OpenZio ROM 2.1.2
Adrynalyne OC

OpenPDP ROM 2.3.4-v2.1

#8 fewt

fewt

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:17 PM

I had to remove the right two screws to loosen the WIFI cable enough to create the slack needed to reach the spot next to the camera.

+1 to replacing the double sided tape, the original foam tape is junk.

#9 Spz0

Spz0

Advanced Shoe Gum Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:44 PM

Ahh yes, I was thinking that that may have to happen. Mine was snug, but still was loose enough to manipulate the whole wire.

Did your wifi improve overall? Im more interested in the foam tap interference. Looking at the antenna from the back side where the foam sits, I cant see how that wouldn't obstruct part of the signal.

Posted Image
.......Devices.......
.Moto Droid X
LiquidICS

OpenAndroid ROM 2.3
Spz0's OC Kernel

.Kyocera M6000(zio)
Rooted2.2.1
OpenZio ROM 2.1.2
Adrynalyne OC

OpenPDP ROM 2.3.4-v2.1

#10 fewt

fewt

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:07 AM

Ahh yes, I was thinking that that may have to happen. Mine was snug, but still was loose enough to manipulate the whole wire.

Did your wifi improve overall? Im more interested in the foam tap interference. Looking at the antenna from the back side where the foam sits, I cant see how that wouldn't obstruct part of the signal.

It seems to have improved a little, but not as much as expected. I've been meaning to jump into a shell and see if I can increase the power but I don't know if iwconfig is available.

#11 greenlaptops

greenlaptops

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationSLC Utah

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:58 PM

WOW! My WiFi signal got almost doubled, I used Aluminum double sided tape instead. One thing I should say, I wish I had never opened that device it looks like cheap Chinese tablet from inside, I don't know how Kohl's expect people to pay $199 for this device.

Edited by greenlaptops, 12 July 2011 - 02:59 PM.

#12 emmis

emmis

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:32 PM

no difference here. it anything I would swear it is a little less..

thanks for the idea though.

#13 Spz0

Spz0

Advanced Shoe Gum Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:57 PM

WOW! My WiFi signal got almost doubled, I used Aluminum double sided tape instead.

Interesting. I wonder if the aluminum tape has something to do with that -- I have certainly not noticed that much of a boost. Someone confirm this!! :)

no difference here. it anything I would swear it is a little less..

thanks for the idea though.

The main issue lies with your hand interfering with the antenna, as well as EMP interference from the battery. Moving it to a section of the tablet that you are not touching (at least in portrait) will indeed increase overall performance. The module PD decided to use isnt the greatest to begin with. I've noticed a -25dB improvement in overall strength myself.
Im sure down the line we will learn to tweak the wpasupplicant to max out the capabilities of the module, but until then this is the best solution. As always, I encourage others to try different locations inside the unit to see if there is a better place -- but I have put the antenna in pretty much all the blank areas that the short wire will allow, and this is the best spot imo.

ftr: the main reason I did this mod in the first place, was for the touchscreen improvement -- the wifi stability was a bonus. ;)

Posted Image
.......Devices.......
.Moto Droid X
LiquidICS

OpenAndroid ROM 2.3
Spz0's OC Kernel

.Kyocera M6000(zio)
Rooted2.2.1
OpenZio ROM 2.1.2
Adrynalyne OC

OpenPDP ROM 2.3.4-v2.1

#14 karrun

karrun

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:12 AM

Well I am experimenting now with placement as I write this. I have the antenna placed in the new area and I already see a signal in a location where I previously got no signal at all. (sorry, don't know how to measure dB gain). I'm going to fool around with the placement a bit and see if I can't improve it.

Well, it seems like every time I place the cover on, it lowers the signal. The case is evidently interfering with the signal. Too bad there isn't a way to add an exterior dongle.

Edited by karrun, 13 July 2011 - 08:43 AM.

#15 Spz0

Spz0

Advanced Shoe Gum Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:02 PM

Yeah, I could see that. The screen would kick off some interference for sure. Its just a weaker wifi module.
Its definitely on the list of things to accomplish -- tweak wpa_supplicant/wiconfig for maximum thresholds.

Posted Image
.......Devices.......
.Moto Droid X
LiquidICS

OpenAndroid ROM 2.3
Spz0's OC Kernel

.Kyocera M6000(zio)
Rooted2.2.1
OpenZio ROM 2.1.2
Adrynalyne OC

OpenPDP ROM 2.3.4-v2.1

#16 johny005

johny005

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:05 AM

Great jOb... Gonna try it now !!

#17 Spz0

Spz0

Advanced Shoe Gum Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:40 PM

Just figured out this wifi antenna is unidirectional. Pointing the front side of your pdp towards your router achieves better dB than pointing the backside towards it.
Im going to try aluminum tape instead of 3m clear - see if i indeed get an overall boost.

Posted Image
.......Devices.......
.Moto Droid X
LiquidICS

OpenAndroid ROM 2.3
Spz0's OC Kernel

.Kyocera M6000(zio)
Rooted2.2.1
OpenZio ROM 2.1.2
Adrynalyne OC

OpenPDP ROM 2.3.4-v2.1

#18 Bwangster12

Bwangster12

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:55 PM

So, I opened my Planet up and found that the spacing between the SD card and other nodes are not spaced as in the picture. There is absolutely no way to place to place the antenna in the area pictured so that the case closes. Also, my antenna looks different then the picture. Mine is totally copper color with no red on it. I had to place it back where it was.

#19 Spz0

Spz0

Advanced Shoe Gum Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:01 PM

This mod is only for the pdp 2.2.1

Posted Image
.......Devices.......
.Moto Droid X
LiquidICS

OpenAndroid ROM 2.3
Spz0's OC Kernel

.Kyocera M6000(zio)
Rooted2.2.1
OpenZio ROM 2.1.2
Adrynalyne OC

OpenPDP ROM 2.3.4-v2.1

#20 paintman

paintman

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:52 PM

I have the EXACT SAME CONFIGURATION/ HARDWARE. However, I WAS able to do this. It involved using small snips, cutting down the WiFi (copper?) module just a bit on the end, so as not to interfere with either the plastic power lense,or the camera. When attempting to close, I then discovered that if the WiFi module comes into contact with the on board POWER/ CHARGING module/ input, the WiFi metal module will interrupt the charging, and not work. To fix THIS, I placed a small piece (1/2") of electrical tape over the POWER/ CHARGING module input to disable any metal contact. It was worth it. Took me 20 min, and my signal is BETTER, even though I snipped the tiny end off the WiFi module. You can MAKE it fit! Now my screen does not ripple, and WiFi response is much improved. Hope this helps!