Spz0

Advanced Shoe Gum Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Location..Look under your Shoe..

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:43 PM

Hey.

I have noticed the battery readout on the PDP is inaccurate at best, so I have made an update zip to reset your battery stats, and instructions to properly recalibrate your battery.

I take no responsibility for bricked devices, as usual, so USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!.

Instructions:
  • Download update-battery-cal.zip located >>HERE<< and rename to update.zip
  • Copy to the root of your SDCard (make sure there are no other update zips present)
  • Charge the phone to full battery. (You can check by going to: Settings -> About Phone -> Status -> Battery Level = Full.)
  • Shut down your PDP (DO NOT DISCONNECT CHARGER).
  • You may be able to charge a touch more with the power off, so charge until full (some users have a green light indicating full, others, the red charge led just shuts off).
  • Boot to recovery mode (Power + vol. up) - Keep the charger plugged in!!!!
  • Apply update.zip
  • Reboot your PDP (KEEP CHARGER PLUGGED IN!)
  • Once your PDP is rebooted, THEN unplug your charger.
  • IMPORTANT STEP!!! --> Use your PDP until the battery completely drains, resulting in automatic power off.****
  • Charge your PDP once more to 100% as you normally would (with power off).
  • Your battery is now calibrated!

You should do this every 4-5 months for optimal battery performance (reason being, as your battery ages the performance slides slightly).
Keep in mind that if you erase your data partition (ie: factory reset, or fw update), you should recalibrate again, as that also wipes your battery stats.

Enjoy. :)

****: Keep in mind that cpu/gpu intensive tasks will pull more voltage from the battery, resulting in the battery telling the OS it is more drained than it actually is. I recommend downloading Pandora, and just run your PDPs battery down with that (while keeping your display on high). This will be a steady drain, resulting in an actual 0% auto shut off scenario.

Edited by mrsburnout, 16 July 2011 - 08:55 AM.
Reduced font size. No need to shout.

I will not answer requests for help on bricked devices. USE THE SEARCH! If you are confused by clearly written instructions, you shouldn't be hacking your tablet!!!!!

Posted Image
.......Devices.......
.Moto Droid X
LiquidICS

------------------------------------
.Samsung Vitality (Admire)
OpenAndroid ROM 2.3
Spz0's OC Kernel

.Kyocera M6000(zio)
Rooted2.2.1
OpenZio ROM 2.1.2
Adrynalyne OC

.Pandigital Planet 2.3.4 REFRESH
OpenPDP ROM 2.3.4-v2.1

...and many other devices.

>>Donate<< to my Marriage counseling fund. o.0

#2 nvrpayretail

nvrpayretail

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:21 PM

[*]You may be able to charge a touch more with the power off, so charge until full (some users have a green light indicating full, others, the red charge led just shuts off).

Many thanks. Your comment re: light status at full charge is interesting. Mine goes out and I thought it was just a change from the way the WPDN works (where it turns green). I didn't know their were folks with the PDP that have the light turn green. I wonder if there's something in the charging logic that's wonky and causing some of the other things we're seeing. Does anything change with regard to charge time, etc., after your battery calibration is run?

#3 Spz0

Spz0

Advanced Shoe Gum Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:18 PM

No change in charge time, but you'll notice overall improved battery performance (because the OS battery readout will now match the actual % of juice left in the battery eliminating the OS shutting down the device thinking it has less juice than it actually has).

Edited by Spz0, 09 July 2011 - 06:19 PM.

I will not answer requests for help on bricked devices. USE THE SEARCH! If you are confused by clearly written instructions, you shouldn't be hacking your tablet!!!!!

Posted Image
.......Devices.......
.Moto Droid X
LiquidICS

OpenAndroid ROM 2.3
Spz0's OC Kernel

.Kyocera M6000(zio)
Rooted2.2.1
OpenZio ROM 2.1.2
Adrynalyne OC

OpenPDP ROM 2.3.4-v2.1

#4 nghiaxp

nghiaxp

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:40 PM

After you drain the battery, do you recharge it while it is off or on? Does that matter? Thanks for all of your work, btw!

#5 Spz0

Spz0

Advanced Shoe Gum Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:52 PM

I would charge it while the power is off. One of the main issues with improper calibration is that it will read 100% in the OS, but upon shutting the device off, it'll charge for another 30-60 minutes.
After your first recharge with the power off, you should be able to charge with the power on, but its always good measure to charge with the power off so you get a true 100% charge.

There is a chip in the battery that shuts the charging system off at 100%, but if your Android OS is improperly calibrated, it will think your battery is charged 100% and shut the charging system off when in fact your battery may only be 90-95% charged.
I'll update the initial post.

Posted Image
.......Devices.......
.Moto Droid X
LiquidICS

OpenAndroid ROM 2.3
Spz0's OC Kernel

.Kyocera M6000(zio)
Rooted2.2.1
OpenZio ROM 2.1.2
Adrynalyne OC

OpenPDP ROM 2.3.4-v2.1

#6 Spz0

Spz0

Advanced Shoe Gum Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 04:10 PM

@Admin

Could this topic be moved and pinned to the firmware/Development sub forum?

Thanks!! :)

Posted Image
.......Devices.......
.Moto Droid X
LiquidICS

OpenAndroid ROM 2.3
Spz0's OC Kernel

.Kyocera M6000(zio)
Rooted2.2.1
OpenZio ROM 2.1.2
Adrynalyne OC

OpenPDP ROM 2.3.4-v2.1

#7 tinfoil

tinfoil

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:11 PM

Will this work for the newer pandigital planet?

#8 ste-vv

ste-vv

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:54 AM

Will this work for the newer pandigital planet?

I have the latest OpenPDP and it worked fine - I would also recommend you use the power management widget and make sure that bluetooth and GPS are off - as they don't exist on the PDP they will just suck power for no reason (icons are 2nd and 3rd when viewing from left right)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users