Android Tablets Forum banner

Malata docking station

14K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  davis77 
#1 ·
Anyone using the Malata docking station with their Gtab?

Looks like I'm keeping my Gtab, (two weeks in) and thought the docking staion would be nice. Looking for comments from users about the Good, Bad, and the Ugly.

Thanks

See less See more
#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
The dock is great for using the tablet at a desk, it holds it at a good angle. You use your existing charger, just plug it into the dock instead of the tablet.

The HDMI out seems to work, but on my stock g-tablet I don't get sound via the HDMI. The sound only comes from the tablet. I also tried this with the TnT Lite 4 ROM, and the same problem. Many have reported that they don't have this problem, and it must be my TVs. HDMI audio works on these sets for everything but the g-tablet. so I gave up.

I tried the LAN port once, you have to run a bunch of commands to get it initialized. The browser didn't find the LAN connection, so it was useless for me. The commands can be combined into a script, and run. That would make it much easier.

#6 ·
I ordered mine from Steve at electronically.com months ago. Zero complaints... Well... I can't seem to get the HDMI working on HC Roms, but other than that I love it. I've got it under my TV, and plug the audio from the tab into my receiver. I even run a wifi keyboard/mouse combo on it. Works fantastically! Do it! You'll love it for the charging convenience alone.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Se what had happened was that my charger port broke when i dropped it. I tried to solder it back on but soldering is harder than i thought. I thought about throwing it away until i remembered the docking station. I dont really need the entire docking stations so i was wondering was there a cable in the shape of the docking station connection where i can just charge the tablet to.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
I got the dock from electroniccrap.com, I think it was on sale for about $43. It charges, and I can use a mouse/keyboard/USB flash drive with it. The tablet has one USB port and the dock has one; I have used each of the following configurations:

plug the keyboard into the dock and the mouse into the tablet (wireless mouse so I won't yank the mouse and knock the tablet over)

or

Plug a USB hub into the dock's USB port and have a keyboard, mouse, and USB stick through the hub without using the gTab's port.

*edit: I have not tried the HDMI connection, my dock is not near my TV so I have a separate gTab <--> HDMI cable for that purpose; also, I have not bothered with the dock's ethernet, I feel no need.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
ok i just got the malata docking station. The reason i bought this docking station is because i broke my orginal charging port inside the tablet by dropping it. The charger still in good shape. But i just left my charger back in my home town. I have a ac to usb with a usb wall connection. It shows the red charging light is on. But when I hold the power button it wont boot up. What i want to know is, is it really charging, since I'm using ac to usb to outlet connection is it just enough power to turn on the red light. Or do i have to use the orgingal power cable to charge the tablet now.

#12 ·
Yes, but do you have the charging cable plugged into the dock? The question at hand is whether the power that comes through the USB cable into the dock is sufficient to charge the tablet's battery. I remember reading somewhere else that you couldn't pull enough voltage through the USB for proper charging. I doubt whether channeling that voltage from the USB through the dock makes any difference.

#14 ·
Anyone know if it's possible to get headphone audio out with the Malata dock? I'm expecting to have to hack it up, but I can't seem to find much info about the G Tablet dock port. I am actually primarily interested in the port connector to use in my vehicle to minimize wires.

#15 ·
I have the Malata docking station.
Actually none of the ports to work.
I have tried with Android 2.2 ( the original one ) and the 3.0 but it seems like not recognised.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
I bought one a few weeks ago and ran into this issue with my dock.

When I first got my dock, I noticed a rattle inside it and many of the functions didn't light up, like the network jack. I eventually opened mine up and found that the weight inside the dock got loose from the frame and knocked out the ribbon cable connecting the tablet dock to the backplane of the dock. once I reseated it everything started working in the back.

From the looks of it. the weight isn't secured too well inside the case. It's secured by two plastic posts in the front and on mine one was broken. I hot glued the weight inside and supported the bottom with rubber washers so in case the glue didn't hold out well, it would at least be supported by the bottom plate and not knock the cable loose.

Everything outside of the LAN plug works on stock (although the LAN port lights up and blinks, the tablet doesn't recognize it), and I've seen procedures to get it working once you root it, which I haven't done yet.

#17 ·
Solved the issue with mine ( at least the HDMI - which is most important )
- the cable was the issue - i replaced it with new one and everything is fine now

worked on all versions of ROM's which i have been installed so far.

#19 ·
ok i bought this docking station because my original charger broke on me. Now this docking station wont charge my tablet. If i keep it on the docking station it will come on. Its like that battery wont hold a charge. If anyone else had this problem please let me know and tell me how you fixed it if you did. I also have the flashback 1.2 rom on my tablet if that helps any.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.