Android Tablets Forum banner

HT-PAD-1051 Tianfeng Tablet Firmware Upgrade Guide

86K views 175 replies 25 participants last post by  sportsterhd2009 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
These instructions are for the upgrade of the HT-PAD-1051 Tianfeng tablet to the latest and most stable firmware, which at the time of writing this guide is Herotab M10v2 Slatedroid Singularity Firmware v5. My thanks to the contributions from the much more experienced forum members such as Reimar, JGZinv, Roger Calver and several others from whose various posts I have borrowed instructions and content for this guide.

WARNING - BE SURE TO THOROUGHLY RESEARCH\UNDERSTAND ANY MODIFICATIONS YOU MAKE TO YOUR TABLET BEFORE PROCEEDING, AS SLATEDROID MEMBERS CANNOT BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED.

Necessary hardware\software for this project - Paper clip, tablet to PC USB cable and a computer running Windows 7 (32bit and 64bit), WinXP will also work but this guide is written from a Win7 perspective:

1. Fully charge your tablet and backup any data\apps you would like to keep to the external media of your choice

2. Confirm your tablet's internal storage capacity from Settings > SD card and device storage > Usr Space section, which should be 4GB or 8GB or 16GB, this step is very important as the upgrade packs are built specifically for the correct storage variants

3. Go to my MediaFire folder, download the firmware upgrade kit with the first three digits of the name matching your internal storage capacity noted from step 2 and save it to your desktop

http://www.mediafire.com/?oadd3hlc5u5vy

This will be the 8GB firmware pack for most people, which I shall use as a reference point for the rest of this guide

4. Extract all the contents of the above zip file to a folder called "gpad" on your desktop

5. Connect your tablet's USB port located immediately under the home button to your PC using the cable that came with it (although my iPhone cable seems to work just fine)

6. Put your tablet into maintenance (bootstrap) mode by powering it down, powering it up and pressing the volume down button at the same time, which should prompt Windows 7 to install the device as "SE Blank ELVIS"

7. Install the correct USB driver by right clicking on Computer > Manage > Device Manager > Other Devices > SE Blank EVLIS > Update Driver > Browse my computer for driver software, then navigate to:

desktop\gpad\8GB-HT-PAD-1051-Tianfeng-FW-Upgrade-Pack\Drivers\

8. Click on the option to "Install this driver software anyway" and Windows will install the device driver which should appear in your device list as "i.MX51 Mass Storage Device"

9. We are now ready to inject the new firmware to the tablet using the manufacturer's firmware flashing tool by clicking on:

desktop\gpad\8GB-HT-PAD-1051-Tianfeng-FW-Upgrade-Pack\MfgTool.exe

10. From the MfgTool main window select Options > Configuration > USB ports and ensure ONLY the "Freescale i.MX51 Bulk IO Device" entry box is ticked

11. Press OK to go back to main MfgTool window and ensure you have an entry within one of the four horizontal boxes containing "i.MX51 Bulk IO Device"

12. Now click on the green Start button and kick back for 5 minutes while your tablet firmware is updated over the USB cable

13. Once the process is complete you will see MfgTool reporting "Unrecognised Device" where it was previously displaying "i.MX51 Bulk IO Device", at which point you will need to disconnect your tablet from the USB connection, close MfgTool and press the tablet's reset button next to the headphone socket with a paper clip

14. You should now be in a position to power up your tablet with a fresh install of Roger Calver's excellent Slatedroid Singularity v5 firmware, which will initially appear to run a little slow but a reboot after the initial boot up should speed things right up!

15. OPTIONAL - I installed the following apps to enhance the tablet's performance\usability, all of which are freely available from the Market and compatible with our tablet

Skype - free phone calls
mVideo Player - improved video player
Titanium Backup - app removal\backup tool
Flash Player - necessary for on line video viewing
ES Task Manager - running task\process optimisation tool

enjoy your updated tablet

See less See more
#2 ·
OK, thanks for that navster.

Please feel free to ad any recommendation etc. to this thread. Also your experiences are welcome because other may learn from it. If you find any mistakes or so please let us know immediately.

I'll pin this thread.

///PINNED

#3 ·
Navster and all other contributers...Thanks for the firmware and instruction.

New to android

My laptop has Windows 7 but it is 64bit, I was wondering if I could use it for this process also. I have another laptop with XP that I have been using for flashing. Would like to use 7 64bit if possible? Thanks agin for everyones hard work.

HT_Pad 1051 8gb single speaker 2 screws Android 2.2 Kernel 2.631-00011-ge4e866b-dirty Build Slatedroid Singularity M10v2 FINAL v5

P.S.-Any news on a solid ginger update or even anything honeycomb?

#4 ·
The process has only been tested with 32bit winxp\win7, I have a feeling the Mfgtool or usb driver will not be 64bit compliant but trying it should not result in a brick, worst case you may have to re-flash SSv5 using your XP laptop, would be interested to hear if it worked for you tho!

#10 ·
#7 ·
thanks for the quick reply Reimar!!!

i have another question regarding formating internal sdcard. how can i format/clear data to internal sdcard(not extsd)? all the file and folder still there after im doing a factory reset. Any solution or help for this??

thanks in advance.

#8 ·
Only one choice: Open the device, remove the internal TF Card and delete/format in PC. But be careful: that will delete everything and you'll not be able to restart your device because also Android wil be gone and the system files as well.

The internal TF Card contains 7 Partitions, FAT32, ext3 and ext4 while one partition is locked (app. 500+MB) Create a NEW internal System Card to first while using the Flashing procedure. Read all Post's about flashing the Tianfeng Devices.

#11 ·
Yes I agree, opening the tablet is by far the best way to format but if you don't want to open it you can try the format user data option in the system recovery menu, which you can get to by holding down the home button on the screen whilst powering up the device.

@Reimar - can you confirm how much of a performance increase you noticed with using the class 10 vs class 4 interal SD cards please, perhaps this is a suggestion we can integrate with the tutorial?

#12 ·
I tested with 2 different TF Card Brands: 1: Transcend , 2: Verico both 16GB Class10

The Verico is slightly faster than the Transcend an over all about 40% increase.

#15 ·
No, I'm not keen about that. I use to compare to do the exact same actions. which is more precise.

But I think that result's will be differs depend on the brand of the cards. I also tested the cards on my PC and used the same file of 6GB to copy to the cards and the Transcend has an average of 7.3MBs while the Verico had 8.9MBs

#21 ·
Dear Navster,

Thanks for information, however, i have re-flashed it so many times, still can not get the camera work, every time I press the camera button, the message pop up
, sorry: The application camera (process com.android.camera) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

Is there any way that I can try to make it work.

Thanks again.

#25 ·
when i press start in mfgtool it begin, just after a few second when my device light up then it show 'Updater Error 0xffffffea (-22)', 1st i though is normal, after i wait 10minute i stop mfgtool and reset my device but nothing happen. i remove my sd card put in my pc and it show nothing in the card either.

#39 ·
Before you re-flash I would suggest deleting the mfgtool.log file in the gpad folder, re-flash and if it fails post the contents of the mfgtool.log here so we can analyse where\why the upgrade is failing

It may also be worth trying to remove the SD card partitions using Diskpart from within DOS

#42 ·
yup i see the sd card in diskpart. my sd card actually show 14GB, does it affect?
i have try the following using paragon partition manager 9.0 but still error
1) unformmatted partition
2) FAT32
3) ext3
4) unallocate partition

guess i have to stick back to my 8GB...lol.....scrathing my head hehe
thanks anyway navster for your help

#48 ·
Try to change the USB port the device is connected too. Do NOT use an extension Cable for the USB, use the Flashing Cable as it is! If you have use a different computer with XP! And be sure that the USB port you connect the Device is is really USB 2

#49 ·
i've success to flash my tablet using the upgrade, change firmware, fail on 3-11(changing fdiskcmd to 16GB) then straight away i flash 4-26(16GB fdiskcmd) success but hang on the setup page. then i use the recovery mode to upgrade to Roger SSv5 firmware, success but when i check on storage it only appear 8GB???

even though i only got 8GB now but i do success to flash it. will try again to get the 16GB.

thanks for all the advised!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.